Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I just switched to Xfinity Mobile a couple of months ago (I'm a Comcast member, but using the $45/unlimited fork instead of the per gig fork.). Granted I have the same crappy coverage as AT&T (I live in a metro area but apparently this tiny little area of the city has spotty 4G LTE coverage).

Other than that it's just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America
I switched from the T-Mobile nerd plan to Xfinity mobile when it first came out. I pay by the gig and with the amount of data I use it is typically somewhere in the low 30s. This includes fees and me paying for the insurance. Occasional months get approach the 45 dollar price but it hasn't been worth it for me to switch to the unlimited.

I switched because I rock climb in rural Kentucky a handful of times a year and I wanted better service. Xfinity is on Verizon's network and really the only friends that had reliable service in that area had Verizon.

I'm glad I switched and wouldn't hesitate to switch again. The only downside I've experienced is that it locks you into your Xfinity account as there is no way to transfer your Xfinity mobile account into another Xfinity account. I recently moved and had looked into this as it would have been cheaper to have the roommate sign up for a new Xfinity internet account. It got too complicated with my mobile account so I ended up just keeping everything under my name.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
OK I'm getting pretty sick of not being able to use wifi-calling on Cricket, any recommendations for a replacement? I have an unlocked Moto Z Play.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Wifi call is enabled on google voice.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

tino posted:

Wifi call is enabled on google voice.

How does that work? Also don't you have to get a new number?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kraps posted:

OK I'm getting pretty sick of not being able to use wifi-calling on Cricket, any recommendations for a replacement? I have an unlocked Moto Z Play.

My coworker switched to Mint and he's been happy with it. They are pretty cheap, run on tmobile, and have wifi calling.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

What about AT&T Prepaid, do they have wifi-calling?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kraps posted:

What about AT&T Prepaid, do they have wifi-calling?

Looks like so in this thread (https://forums.att.com/t5/Plans-Features/WiFi-calling-on-prepaid-plan/td-p/5769961/page/3)

Or at least it's definitely in the process of rolling out

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Kraps posted:

How does that work? Also don't you have to get a new number?

You can port your number to google voice. When you call out your google number will display on your friend's phone.

You can use multiple phones on the same google voice number.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Cricket has WiFi calling, we have it enabled on 3 iPhones in my house and works fine. What problem are you having with it?

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

WarMECH posted:

Cricket has WiFi calling, we have it enabled on 3 iPhones in my house and works fine. What problem are you having with it?

I'm trying to figure out it it only works on specific phones that the company says or does my phone (Moto Z Play) just not have that option

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

In my experience, wifi calling on cricket only works with phones bought from them.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
We have 3 iPhones, bought directly from Apple (carrier free), and connected to Cricket since last August. WiFi calling works on all 3 with no problem.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Looking at Cricket's site, you basically need an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy for it to work.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
AT&T currently has a promotional 16gb plan for $40/mo (so 16gb for the 8gb price, but only if you're a new customer)

I'm currently on the $55 unlimited plan, but I wonder if it would be smarter to switch to something else for a month and then switch back before that double data promotion ends...seems like a hassle, though.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

WarMECH posted:

We have 3 iPhones, bought directly from Apple (carrier free), and connected to Cricket since last August. WiFi calling works on all 3 with no problem.

Uthor posted:

Looking at Cricket's site, you basically need an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy for it to work.

From what I understand from these posts the phone doesn't need to be bought from them but you do need a phone from the list. I'm assuming the same rules apply to every carrier, meaning I have to find a non-tmobil carrier that has my phone on the list, or get a new phone. Sucks a bit.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm still with Republic. There's an extremely limited list of phones that'll work with their service at all, but any phone that works at all will do wi-fi calling and texting just fine, totally transparently. It'll just use whichever connection type is working better at that particular moment.

(Although most of my "phone calls" these days are through the Signal app, which has both better security and better sound quality, and can of course also work over wi-fi.)

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

It may depend on your provider, but the listed phones may be only the "officially supported" phones for Wi-Fi calling. I have a Pixel 2 on Mint, and even though it's not on their list, wi-fi calling works for me (thankfully, 'cause for whatever reason I get zero signal inside my house).

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

From Cricket's setup page: https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/mobile-wifi/wifi-calling-capable-phones.html

quote:

Note: For Wi-Fi Calling capable phones not purchased at Cricket, Wi-Fi Calling will not work on Android. It will work on iOS.

The option for wifi calling is just not there for me on a galaxy s7 with cricket sim. On a Mint sim it showed up and worked. It working on iOS just makes me thing they're being dicks and not enabling it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boogalo posted:

From Cricket's setup page: https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/mobile-wifi/wifi-calling-capable-phones.html

The option for wifi calling is just not there for me on a galaxy s7 with cricket sim. On a Mint sim it showed up and worked. It working on iOS just makes me thing they're being dicks and not enabling it.

Did you buy that Galaxy S7 from Cricket?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

BonoMan posted:

Did you buy that Galaxy S7 from Cricket?

No, its an unlocked from Samsung phone. Carrier agnostic. I think I'm using that term correctly.

So its (not)working as expected.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boogalo posted:

No, its an unlocked from Samsung phone. Carrier agnostic. I think I'm using that term correctly.

So its (not)working as expected.

Yeah that's interesting that it would work on all iOS phones but only Android phones bought from them. Although it's probably less them being dicks and more that they, with Android fragmentation, can only ensure it works on devices they personally sell and therefore test/guarantee.

Or not since other carriers do it. Who knows. Goddamn sometimes I hate technology.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

BonoMan posted:

Yeah that's interesting that it would work on all iOS phones but only Android phones bought from them. Although it's probably less them being dicks and more that they, with Android fragmentation, can only ensure it works on devices they personally sell and therefore test/guarantee.

Or not since other carriers do it. Who knows. Goddamn sometimes I hate technology.

Now they can even block devices when you simply install a sim in a device that's not on their approved devices list, in addition to locking out whatever features they want. My coworker had cricket and got a Moto G6, but it plain wouldn't work, it was blocked entirely and support was zero help. His earlier phone supported wifi hotspot, but putting in a cricket sim disabled it, even though my Moto X was also on cricket and allowed hotspot. Neither of us actually paid for the feature.

Its getting very stupid.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
You never had control of the hotspot function unless your phone is rooted/jailbroken. This is always the case.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

tino posted:

You never had control of the hotspot function unless your phone is rooted/jailbroken. This is always the case.

Neither my Moto X or Galaxy 7 are rooted and hotspot works just fine. I don't know if its because cricket just didn't bother to disable it on them, or why they singled out the specific model of my coworker's phone to disable.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Boogalo posted:

Neither my Moto X or Galaxy 7 are rooted and hotspot works just fine. I don't know if its because cricket just didn't bother to disable it on them, or why they singled out the specific model of my coworker's phone to disable.

I am saying it's up to the your carrier to decide if they give you the freedom to use hotspot whenever you want.

If your carrier meter and price mobile data/hotspot data the same way they wouldn't give a gently caress, but most US carriers treat they differently.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know how long that at&t special is going on? I JUST paid for a new month of cricket but double the data would be pretty awesome for 5 bucks less.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone know how long that at&t special is going on? I JUST paid for a new month of cricket but double the data would be pretty awesome for 5 bucks less.

I think I saw that it's going to last until early July

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm helping my friend and his family swap over their phone plans to cricket. Should I go to a store and grab four sim cards? Start with one number and go through all of them adding them to the cricket account?

Would it be better to go to a store and have them do them all at once?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm helping my friend and his family swap over their phone plans to cricket. Should I go to a store and grab four sim cards? Start with one number and go through all of them adding them to the cricket account?

Would it be better to go to a store and have them do them all at once?

Pick up 4 sim cards at best buy or Target. Activate each individually. Then talk to customer service to move them all over to one family account. If you do this in store it will cost you $25 activation for each line.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thinking about moving from Cricket to AT&T, but wondering if there's any downside (besides, you know, AT&T stuff).

They have a double data plan with a $5 cheaper plan than cricket has.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The cricket store can waive or credit the fees if they like you - though I don’t know how that impacts their monies. You could always ask what they will whack you to get it all setup in person.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Boogalo posted:

I've seen phones drift in and out between Android updates on the same phone and same Cricket plan. Varies from phone to phone, update, etc, but the carrier always has control on Android.

Partycat posted:

The cricket store can waive or credit the fees if they like you - though I don’t know how that impacts their monies. You could always ask what they will whack you to get it all setup in person.

I'd assume the workers make commission (or equivalent) on new signups so if you went to a store and made a huff about how you'll only sign up if the fee is waived I bet they'd bite.

edit: And dumb comment but have them spend the time to draw up an itemized bill BEFORE you go into a huff. I've seen so many cases where someone just walks up to a customer service person and screams that they'd better waive the signup fees and the clerk is justifiably responding "Hello I have no idea who you are please go away". Play the rube a little and let them work their pitch.

Thinking about moving from Cricket to AT&T, but wondering if there's any downside (besides, you know, AT&T stuff).

There may be some really specific differences in international calling and such. Make sure you check the weird edge features if you need them.

Back in the day when I got super excited over MVNOs, the major carriers were lacking a lot of features. As Cricket and such have risen, and been absorbed again by the carriers, the benefits have smoothed out. Today you can pretty much go wherever the price and service (towers and support) is good.

revwinnebago fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 9, 2019

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

They offered when I went in but maybe I was particularly good looking that day.

I had to change my CC# because it was hacked or whatever, and I updated it in the cricket app prior to my renewal.

Day of I get a text my service is cut off and auto pay is disabled. I guess maybe delete and add new poo poo instead of changing it , since that was lame .

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If anyone needs more confirmation that straight talk sucks.

We decided to get our daughter a phone as a present, my wife decided on straight talk. Bought a cheap phone and a $35/month plan. Kid took care of the phone for several months... Wife ended up breaking the phone accidently. :v:

Bought a used S6, put the SIM card in it, didn't work. Now mind you, she had just paid for a month of service. Called straight talk, they said she would have to buy another SIM card (wtf). So she did, paid for another month of service (wtf) and got it activated.

For one week. Kid was at her dad's house and was messing around with the phone and pulled the SIM out, he tries to force it back in and snaps the SIM tray off way back in the phone. The new SIM is also bent.

So at the moment she's out two months of service and two phones. I don't get the "you have to buy another SIM card" line, though. Does it really work that way? gently caress this poo poo I'm putting the phone on my post paid att account.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

I've been on the unlimited data AT&T plan for a couple years now and it's been great. I might go into a store soon and see if they'll let me switch to one of the double data plans.

The only issues ice had have been with getting Google Voice to work for voicemails, but I haven't tried that hard because AT&T's visual voicemail app works just fine.

I've also yet to encounter a speed cap - it usually ranges between 30-60Mbps on LTE around here.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
My wife's free Sprint plan is expiring in July. Since she HAS TO use an iPhone, I am thinking getting the Simple Mobile and a refub iPhone 8 for her. Cheapest plan is about 23 a month for 3GB. you can ask for unlock after 12 months.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

tino posted:

My wife's free Sprint plan is expiring in July. Since she HAS TO use an iPhone, I am thinking getting the Simple Mobile and a refub iPhone 8 for her. Cheapest plan is about 23 a month for 3GB. you can ask for unlock after 12 months.

What's stopping you from taking your wife's current iPhone to Simple Mobile?

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

nimper posted:

What's stopping you from taking your wife's current iPhone to Simple Mobile?

It's sprint. Plus 6s is too old, we want to upgrade to faster phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't swap over to AT&T with the double data, cause apparently cricket and AT&T share numbers and the promo only works if a new number is created. <:mad:>