Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

When Die Hard 5 came out on Valentine's Day (lol) of 2013, I went to a Die Hard marathon at a local AMC. All 5 movies. It was like 12 hours worth of Die Hard. I was really excited to see the first 3 in theaters, because up until that point, I never had before. I got into those movies after With a Vengeance came out. And they were great like always. Then during Live Free or Die Hard (which I had seen in theaters during its original run), I developed a massive throbbing headache that lasted through that movie and all of #5 too. It made those not so pleasant movies even less pleasant.

Don't do movie marathons like that! Or if you do, make sure they aren't that long, because Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Can you imagine doing one of those Marvel ones? Woof

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Invalid Validation posted:

Can you imagine doing one of those Marvel ones? Woof
There's that one they're paying people $1,000 to do if they watch 20 movies in a span of like 72 hours and review them all, and :stonklol:

And you have to apply/be chosen to do that, which lmao

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I never thought Die Hard 4.0 was that bad. The whole fighter jet bit should've been cut but other than that it's a functional action flick.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BigglesSWE posted:

I never thought Die Hard 4.0 was that bad. The whole fighter jet bit should've been cut but other than that it's a functional action flick.

I haven't seen it since about 2007, so I probably just don't remember if it was mediocre at best or not, as I've never felt the need to revisit it.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Live Free or Die Hard has the most baffling dialog change I've ever seen in a director's cut.

[Scene: McClane drives a car into a helicopter]

Mac kid: Did you just drive a car into a helicopter??

McClane in the theatrical cut: Ran outta bullets. (this is a perfectly John McClane thing to say)

McClane in the director's cut: There are so and so many thousands of automobile deaths as a result of accident or negligence in the contiguous United States every year and that was another two, or something (what the gently caress)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DoombatINC posted:

Live Free or Die Hard has the most baffling dialog change I've ever seen in a director's cut.

[Scene: McClane drives a car into a helicopter]

Mac kid: Did you just drive a car into a helicopter??

McClane in the theatrical cut: Ran outta bullets. (this is a perfectly John McClane thing to say)

McClane in the director's cut: There are so and so many thousands of automobile deaths as a result of accident or negligence in the contiguous United States every year and that was another two, or something (what the gently caress)

The end credits to The Other Guys, only it's about auto safety.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It still baffles me that they prefer Die Hard 4 to 5. Just on the stand alone that 4 is a freaking PG-13 movie. It has less physical stunts than 5, and 5 knows well enough to pack in enough ridiculous poo poo into 90 mins. But the transformation of John McClaine into a T-800 model 101 is just sad to me. Dude barely has any battle damage by the end of the 5th even when essentially free falling down a garbage chute and crashing through a glass ceiling into a pool of water while a helicopter explodes right in front of them.

Also that's like one of the top three best shot scenes in the movie.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jiro posted:

It still baffles me that they prefer Die Hard 4 to 5.

4 wasn't written by Skip Woods, maybe that's it :shrug:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The best Die Hard 4 is Max Payne 3, and there are no other Die Hards after it.

Even provides a canon reason for bald McClane.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jiro posted:

It still baffles me that they prefer Die Hard 4 to 5. Just on the stand alone that 4 is a freaking PG-13 movie. It has less physical stunts than 5, and 5 knows well enough to pack in enough ridiculous poo poo into 90 mins. But the transformation of John McClaine into a T-800 model 101 is just sad to me. Dude barely has any battle damage by the end of the 5th even when essentially free falling down a garbage chute and crashing through a glass ceiling into a pool of water while a helicopter explodes right in front of them.

Also that's like one of the top three best shot scenes in the movie.

Because while 4 may be bad, 5 is loving horrendous garbage costarring Jai Courtney.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

4 is so much better than 5.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
We're due for another installment in the series.

Die Hard: Make Dying Great Again

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Old Habits Die Hard

With a slight tweak, this could also be the subtitle for Sister Act 3.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I have literally only watched the first Die Hard.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sanzuo posted:

I have literally only watched the first Die Hard.
Watch Die Hard With A Vengeance ASAP but you can skip 2, 4 and 5 and not really miss much. I love 2 but it's not essential like 1 and 3 are.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Watch Die Hard With A Vengeance ASAP but you can skip 2, 4 and 5 and not really miss much. I love 2 but it's not essential like 1 and 3 are.

GREAT cast in part 2, and maybe Renny Harlin's best movie (low bar, I know, outside of Long Kiss Goodnight). I'm surprised how blase some of the WHM boys are on it, but yeah, it's still half the movie 1 or 3 are. That's still pretty good, because 1 and 3 are fantastic.

The original is pretty much a perfect action film, but With a Vengeance is my favorite.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

With A Vengeance rules because it completely proved you could drastically change the scope and structure of a Die Hard movie while absolutely keeping it a Die Hard movie.

A lesson immediately abandoned with the follow-up.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
With a Vengeance is my favorite as well but it's also the first one I ever saw. I must have watched it a dozen times when it first came to HBO. I never saw the original until about 10 years ago.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Fart City posted:

I don’t know why, but Eric’s complete deadpan “that’s kinda stupid” at hearing the origin of Freakazoid made me laugh pretty hard

*sighs as he picks up his Tweet*

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1118725214366515200

This thread is worth a read.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Gun everything. I'm gonna make gun pizza on top of my gun table, I'm gonna eat guns and poo poo bullets."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/TheBlackNerd/status/1119247176583065600

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Their Michael Shannon is really underrated.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Hep

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
My favorite Michael Shannon bit is in their Overboard episode (which is... not where you'd expect one to be).

"You used to like it when I'd say I'd snap your neck like a twig"

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The only memory I have of Die Hard 5 was the interview he did on the One Show as part of a press junket to promote the film's UK release. The show is a typical afternoon light entertainment show where the hosts just love everything the guest is plugging. But the weird thing is he looks absolutely fed up with the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLMD1kyOaIo

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1120359728184532992

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

You're all right, this movie owns.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A Tommy Wiseau body swap :stonk:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Marin Karin posted:

My favorite Michael Shannon bit is in their Overboard episode (which is... not where you'd expect one to be).

“You’re MY wife now.”

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The welcome to pottersville ep was hysterical.
“Why don’t you fellate this gun”

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A Tommy Wiseau body swap :stonk:

I would watch the ever loving gently caress out of that.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Marin Karin posted:

I just started listening to the overboard episode and I had to pull over I was laughing so hard when they started this. Also jesus christ that movie is horrifying

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Aww man.........I caught up in The Nexus. C'mon, maaaaan, I just need another episode to push me off, maaaan.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thrawn527 posted:

Aww man.........I caught up in The Nexus. C'mon, maaaaan, I just need another episode to push me off, maaaan.

I know that feeling man. We should get one soon

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/headfangs/status/1121826597663690752

:allears:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Kino Lorber is a company I associate with my earliest Film History 101 classes, including watching some of the first surviving Thomas Edison films.

They are responsible for saving Nosferatu and Metropolis from the the brink of film preservation hell, giving them a wide home-entertainment release.

And now, their greatest triumph has finally come to fruition.

https://www.twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1121799940051734528

I have never preordered something so hard and so fast in my life.

I feel like I am the only one who screams from the internet hell depths that the WHM Tuff Turf episode is a true-blue classic.

It's also such an odd movie that burrows under your skin. It isn't a "bad movie" in the usual sense, it just seems to skate all over the line of what makes something good or bad and doesn't seem to care. It's a drat enigma.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Nice! For anyone who has yet to see Tuff Turf, get on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I know that feeling man. We should get one soon

They almost always release new Nexus EPs at the end of the month and they've been touring, so i'd guess there will be a new EP within a day or two.

I get ya though. The Nexus episodes honestly are as good as the show proper.