Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I enjoyed the episode a lot. What happened to the Love God at the end of the episode? Ray & Nora should have sung along with everyone else.

The Zari/Nate thing kind of grosses me out because technically he was hooking up with her great grandmother or something.

Mona is a tertiary character who's had too much screentime + lovely effects + lovely storylines too soon. She's ok, in short doses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Legends: *breaks out into a full actual Bollywood number in an episode about Jane Austin*

Me: okay sure let’s roll with it

My wife: WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON

watching this show with non-Time Idiot people is a delight in and of itself :allears:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Got big laughs out of me at how quickly Ray fell asleep curled up in his chair.

Also really like the show's treatment of Ray and Nate's friendship where they can unironically tell each other "I love you" and nobody has to do some stupid "no homo" joke.

twistedmentat posted:

Is that why they kept using #smash for bangin'?

No, that's just a thing.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Andrew_1985 posted:

I enjoyed the episode a lot. What happened to the Love God at the end of the episode? Ray & Nora should have sung along with everyone else.

The Zari/Nate thing kind of grosses me out because technically he was hooking up with her great grandmother or something.

Mona is a tertiary character who's had too much screentime + lovely effects + lovely storylines too soon. She's ok, in short doses.

I think you're getting the "Families with Captain Planet Rings" messed up. Amaya's family has animal powers. Zari's got... wind? Was it wind?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chokes McGee posted:

Legends: *breaks out into a full actual Bollywood number in an episode about Jane Austin*

Me: okay sure let’s roll with it

My wife: WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON

watching this show with non-Time Idiot people is a delight in and of itself :allears:

I described the show to my mother over the weekend and I think she hit on the key. It's scripted but it *feels* like improv in how the characters just have to roll with what's going on.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

Again, Zari being Muslim is just part of who she is, not what she's all about, that's how you do diversity people.

My favorite moment about this is right after she joined the crew. Amaya or someone came in to find her bent over on the floor and was like “OMG I INTERRUPTED YOUR PRAYERS IM SO SORRY” and the response was a bewildered “Mecca’s that way, I dropped an earring.”

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

GigaPeon posted:

I think you're getting the "Families with Captain Planet Rings" messed up. Amaya's family has animal powers. Zari's got... wind? Was it wind?

Wind totem yes, and yeah Zari is not related to Amaya, that was Kuasa

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Andrew_1985 posted:

He says he was just a guy (I forget the name) who became a love god by finding Kamadeva's ashes, and you see Zari take the vial of ashes off him at the end of the Bollywood number. Presumably they just left him as a mere mortal in England and took the ashes back to the Time Bureau.

And Ray & Nora did sing, albeit very briefly, they just weren't involved in the dance number.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

I described the show to my mother over the weekend and I think she hit on the key. It's scripted but it *feels* like improv in how the characters just have to roll with what's going on.

It's a lot like how some comic books in the Sixties- particularly at DC- would have an editor come up with a concept for the cover, and the writer's job would be to figure out how to actually tell a story incorporating it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

My favorite moment about this is right after she joined the crew. Amaya or someone came in to find her bent over on the floor and was like “OMG I INTERRUPTED YOUR PRAYERS IM SO SORRY” and the response was a bewildered “Mecca’s that way, I dropped an earring.”

How do you figure out where Mecca is if you're on a timeship, anyway?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Maybe there is an app for that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I saw someone call Routh "doughy" a few weeks ago. I just sent them screencaps of his shirtless scene and he's fuckin swooning now.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think there's dispensations for if you can't figure it out for some reason. The intent is more important than the actual direction. Or she just asks Gideon.

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's a lot like how some comic books in the Sixties- particularly at DC- would have an editor come up with a concept for the cover, and the writer's job would be to figure out how to actually tell a story incorporating it.

This is probably the best description of the show I've ever heard. After "One writer takes some random drug, and the rest write down whatever fever dream comes out of it."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I know Judaism has the rather poetic answer of "when the direction is unknown, one should direct their prayers toward G-d in heaven."

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

"Zari is bullying me. Time to kill Jane Austen!" was such nonsense that it looped back around to being amazing.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Maxwell Lord posted:

When the ship is traveling through the vortex, it's outside of time and space. I figure that it's like trying to find which way is South when you're standing at the North Pole, no wrong answer.

The odder question to me is what the protocol would be if you're on Earth, but have traveled back before the tradition began. Say they're at some point in time before 570. If Muhammad hasn't been born yet, does it even make sense to face toward his birthplace to pray? That might risk God appearing before you, all wrath and fury, shouting "NO SPOILERS!"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
(Some of) You guys are nuts, this might have been my favorite ep this season. But I admit to being partial to musical numbers. It's kinda funny that both the Magicians and Legends had episodes with a single song in them yet I consider them to be more successful musical episodes than the Flash/Supergirl one.

Also oh god now we know why the season finale is titled ------- Hey, World! -------

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Maxwell Lord posted:

“Gideon, what direction is Mecca in?”
“Given our spacial-temporal rate of travel, the best approximation I can give you in English is “blue.””
“...Right, I’ll face the left wall and take my chances.”

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

oh jay posted:

"Zari is bullying me. Time to kill Jane Austen!" was such nonsense that it looped back around to being amazing.

time_idiots.txt

also can we all take a moment to appreciate the last thing Eobard Thawne sees before he dies will probably be the Legends brutally owning him

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Speaking of Thawne do you think the Time Bureau just has notifications from Central City set to ignore?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Andrew_1985 posted:

I really think they could do fun things with her if they hadn't based so much of her current arc on Konane, who is, again, literally the least interesting thing that the writers of this show have come up with, and yet they seem to think is the most interesting.

e:

pile of brown posted:

I actually really really liked Mona as Gary's awkward crush who gets mindwiped every day after delivering lunch and if they'd done that for a season, or at least half, I think people would respond to her better.

I also liked her reveal as a nerd who knows about every mythical creature and it didn't feel forced, but everything since the werewolf boyfriend storyline began has been pretty cringy and poorly written imo.

In other words, this exactly.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 17, 2019

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Robot Hobo posted:

The odder question to me is what the protocol would be if you're on Earth, but have traveled back before the tradition began. Say they're at some point in time before 570. If Muhammad hasn't been born yet, does it even make sense to face toward his birthplace to pray? That might risk God appearing before you, all wrath and fury, shouting "NO SPOILERS!"

I really kind of want this to happen now.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

8one6 posted:

Speaking of Thawne do you think the Time Bureau just has notifications from Central City set to ignore?

Time Bureau has a guy assigned just to Central City based time issues. He's still dealing with the fallout from Flashpoint, and his office just has a shitload of yarn connecting random pictures trying to unravel what the "actual" timeline even is anymore.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Gary was the most competent agent in the Time Bureau so they sent him to Central City.

He came back one day later the goofball we all know and love.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Majorian posted:

I really think they could do fun things with her if they hadn't based so much of her current arc on Konane, who is, again, literally the least interesting thing that the writers of this show have come up with, and yet they seem to think is the most interesting.

The problem isn't even just that it's not interesting. It's actively gross.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Majorian posted:

I'd say second-least interesting, considering the Zari and Nate romance that super sprung out of nowhere and is basically 100% of Zari's screentime now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Bollywood musical had nothing to do with Nate.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Senerio posted:

I'd say second-least interesting, considering the Zari and Nate romance that super sprung out of nowhere and is basically 100% of Zari's screentime now.

Yeah, they totally failed the Bechdel Test on that one.

It would be cool if Nate and Zari try out a relationship just because they are both attracted to each other, then discover they worked better as friends, and maturely just go back to being friends. Only know they have a bunch of inside jokes, I guess.

Edit:

Rhyno posted:

The Bollywood musical had nothing to do with Nate.

Yes it did. At the end, the entire point of the Bollywood musical number was revealed to be: get Zari to open up emotionally and realize that it is okay to "love" so she can go love Nate and not be wife 1,001 of some goa'uld false god.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ray and Nate had some good moments in this episode too. Their reactions after they kissed was great.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chokes McGee posted:

Yea, the closest they made it a thing was when Mick kept trying to give her bacon. But not because he was trying to be mean, he was just trying to share something he loved with her.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Senerio posted:

Gary was the most competent agent in the Time Bureau so they sent him to Central City.

He came back one day later the goofball we all know and love.

He flashed (:haw:) himself so many times to forget what happened that it fried his brain.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm actually really curious what caused the writers to shift (even if temporarily) pairing up Mona with the Polynesian demi-god over Gary and why they more or less created an original super character rather than pulling out another Z-lister

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm actually really curious what caused the writers to shift (even if temporarily) pairing up Mona with the Polynesian demi-god over Gary and why they more or less created an original super character rather than pulling out another Z-lister

I was thinking maybe the original outline for the season was to have Gary more involved instead of Mona, maybe?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

I was initially happy that they were moving away from Gary creeping on Mona because he was super creepy with his plot at the beginning of the season.

Then I saw what they did with Mona afterwards.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I liked Konane.
I thought Mona's relationship was super unhealthy and I'd hoped he was just using her to escape and go home.

The fact that they both had actual feelings for each other is... well... I don't know exactly how that makes me feel.

Should have been Hanuman because at least he can speak like a normal person and more people would know who it was.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joe Chill posted:

I was thinking maybe the original outline for the season was to have Gary more involved instead of Mona, maybe?

Nah, when they originally announced that Ramona Young was joining the cast it was as a series regular so they definitely were planning on using her a lot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Senerio posted:

I was initially happy that they were moving away from Gary creeping on Mona because he was super creepy with his plot at the beginning of the season.

Then I saw what they did with Mona afterwards.

That's because Gary is a turbo dork and that's sorta what those types of characters do. It's also a character type that's super easy to create an arc of emotional development for

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

At least they're not doing a "Nate's pursuing Charlie because she looks like Amaya" storyline.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They should have had Gary and Konane fall in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Davros1 posted:

At least they're not doing a "Nate's pursuing Charlie because she looks like Amaya" storyline.

The way they handled that was pretty great. “I’m not your ex, I just look like her for really dumb reasons.” / “Okay. Cool. You wanna go do fun platonic history poo poo?” / “Sure.”