Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

stevewm posted:

Yep.. from 2007 onward I believe... The "x" formats, i.e. docx, xlsx, etc... are actually zip files. Open a DOCX in something like 7Zip and you'll see some sub folders and XML files. The actual content of the document itself is inside the "Word" folder as document.xml with formatting, styles, etc.. stored in other files.

On a side note, I recently got sent a Apple .pages file to open from HR. Someone submitted their resume in this format. Absolutely nothing seems to support opening this format, not even LibreOffice which usually supports everything.

I knew they were XML files at their core, but I didn't know about the fact you could unzip them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People who don't submit documents as PDFs don't deserve the job anyway

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thanks Ants posted:

My boss at my last job told me after I was hired that being able to follow the “please submit your CV as a PDF with such and such file name format” directions on the job posting was the first step of screening and he had junked a bunch of applications that didn’t follow them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm with you on this one. PDFs are digital paper, that's the point. If you would have handed someone that document as a printed piece of paper, you should give it to them as a PDF in the digital world. Word Docs and the like are for people who you're giving the document to edit.

Entropic posted:

My boss at my last job told me after I was hired that being able to follow the “please submit your CV as a PDF with such and such file name format” directions on the job posting was the first step of screening and he had junked a bunch of applications that didn’t follow them.
Did anyone else have teachers in elementary school hand out "tests" where they were very specific about how we were supposed to read all the directions before filling anything out, then the last instruction would be something like "do not fill in any other entries, just fill in your name and sit quietly"?

This feels like a somewhat more practical version of those. You get to see how well the employee follows basic directions and it's a very mild test of technical competence as well.

The amount of eraser smell that'd fill a classroom about 5-10 minutes after one of those sheets was handed out...

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 17, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm with you here.

And then recruiting agencies: "WE NEED IT IN WORD DOC". Piss off.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

iospace posted:

I actually told one once that I did not give my resume out in an editable format due to another recruiting agency editing my resume without my consent/adding erroneous information to it.

The guy on the other end of the phone got all quiet and was like "well, actually, that's why we need it as a word doc...". At least he was an honest sleazeball.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Kyrosiris posted:

I actually told one once that I did not give my resume out in an editable format due to another recruiting agency editing my resume without my consent/adding erroneous information to it.

The guy on the other end of the phone got all quiet and was like "well, actually, that's why we need it as a word doc...". At least he was an honest sleazeball.

Some of the recruiting agencies I've worked with have requested the resume in doc(x) format so they could add their letterhead and poo poo to it.

I've always checked it afterwards (because they ask me to print out the same copy they send to the potential employer) and none have added junk to it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kyrosiris posted:

lol

Luckily the one time that happened to me, all they did was make formatting changes, add the agency's own header to the top, and strip out my personal information (so the employer had to go through the agency to contact me, I assume).

Still, never again.

e: I know this because they gave me copies of their version of my resume to walk into the interview with. I was planning on just using one of my copies anyway but it never really came up.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MF_James posted:

Some of the recruiting agencies I've worked with have requested the resume in doc(x) format so they could add their letterhead and poo poo to it.

I've always checked it afterwards (because they ask me to print out the same copy they send to the potential employer) and none have added junk to it.

Yeah, I get that. Just, I had an in-person through Robert Half where the interviewer started asking me about my experience with technology I hadn't worked with and was nowhere on my resume, they showed me what RH had sent them, and there was all this stuff I'd never worked with lumped in there awkwardly, so I'm a lot more picky about it nowadays.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I get that. Just, I had an in-person through Robert Half where the interviewer started asking me about my experience with technology I hadn't worked with and was nowhere on my resume, they showed me what RH had sent them, and there was all this stuff I'd never worked with lumped in there awkwardly, so I'm a lot more picky about it nowadays.

RH is a poo poo company, that's why.

TekSystems (despite hearing some bad things about them here) was a perfectly fine agency, perhaps it was specifically the recruiter I worked with, but all they did was slap the letterhead and remove my personal info, MAYBE change some formatting. Same with another one, I think Le Salle group or network, something like that. Everyone else just accepted my PDF, said they would make any notes and have me change it, and we moved on from there.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Kyrosiris posted:

RH is the company that ghosted me on a phone interview, then called me the next day like nothing happened, then ghosted me a second time.

I don't even look at their job postings anymore.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Kyrosiris posted:

I have had a recruiter edit mine as well. They did it by copying the text out of the PDF though and butchering the formatting.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I did HR briefly, until I realized I hated managing people and went back to IT. I had to hire a team of 30 desk clerks for a summer campus job. I got about twice as many applicants, but I was able to narrow that down to 35 interviews by throwing out:

- resumes, plural, written in pencil on lined paper
- at least one resume was 4 pages, both sides (dude, the pay rate is less than 6 bucks an hour, chill)
- one resume written on unlined paper in several colors of colored pencil

I also had one applicant show up 10 minutes late for his interview, wearing what looked like the clothes he found on his floor.

Still better than the guy we interviewed for the call center at my current job. We're a purposefully informal company, so it's funny sometimes when candidates come in overdressed and have to react to a bunch of hipsters sitting around in flip flops and Trail Blazer hoodies. Dude walks in wearing a suit and tie, takes one look at the lot of us, RIPS OFF HIS TIE, THROWS IT INTO THE CORNER, and announces, "WELP, guess I won't need this here!"

He left the tie.

We kept it, cuz obviously we didn't hire him, and he never came back.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

stevewm posted:

On a side note, I recently got sent a Apple .pages file to open from HR. Someone submitted their resume in this format. Absolutely nothing seems to support opening this format, not even LibreOffice which usually supports everything.

I've had several users call and ask if I could help open job applications submitted as .pages files, and I've always suggested them to ask the applicant to re-submit with a proper file format.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I dress for interviews the same way I live my life.

Massively overcompensating for my shortcomings.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Robert Half wanted me to sign a bunch of bullshit paperwork that had stuff in it like giving them permission to do full background checks and credit checks whenever they wanted before they would "represent" me. When I told them I wasn't signing the paper they gave me a bunch of hubub about how it was just me allowing them to represent me and a non-disclosure because they work with "high profile" clients. When I asked them about all the other stuff in it they just got kind of panicky and gave up on me signing it and told me if I changed my mind to let them know.

Two days later I got a call from a different Robert Half recruiter.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

- one resume written on unlined paper in several colors of colored pencil

I feel like I'd hire them out of pity.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
My recruiting agency stole my wages and told me I wasn't allowed to talk to my co-contractors about compensation for reasons. I didn't know any better at the time. They also ditched out on providing health insurance as soon as the ACA went into effect. My poo poo's been fixed in the meantime (having a CEO who gives a gently caress about equality and actually puts his ideals into practice is strange and exciting), but there was a lot of HR scrambling and C-level approvals needed because of how far outside the pay range for my job I was.

Capitalism! :yayclod:

duz posted:

I feel like I'd hire them out of pity.

I thought about it, but the content of the resume was too weak to justify hiring them.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

.pages poo poo is the most useless format I've seen in a while considering PDF had already existed.

You can open them as a zip file and there will be a couple of preview jpgs which one is actually big enough to print. Better hope you only need the first page cause I've yet to find a way to make the rest readable.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I ended up having to login to iButt and open the file with the online version of Pages.

Also, the guy got the job. New sales manager. He started a couple weeks ago. Also he is a complete "Apple whore" which should have come as no surprise considering the resume. Wondered why we had no Macs anywhere, and also amazed we didn't use Outlook. :mad:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

saving this before you can fix it

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Apparently C l o u d To Butt changes text as you type it, because I really did type i C l o u d.

hahahahahaha.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Cloud2Butt is so much fun when you work for a cloud company :yayclod:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've had it installed for so long I have become numb to it. When I see Butt my brain automatically associates this with C.loud so I don't even notice its the wrong word anymore.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cloud2Butt is so much fun when you work for a cloud company :yayclod:

I had to disable SaaS to FaarT after an unfortunate incident.

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

iospace posted:

I'm with you here.

I'm a computer janitor for a group of recruitment agencies and most of the reason why recruitment agencies look for Word documents is because their CRM systems charge them through the balls for the module that allows them to parse .pdf. Also, they get graphic designers and UI/UX "special"ists who think it's a great idea to send in a pdf which you bust open to find that their CV is two pages of jpeg images with no text whatsoever :fuckoff:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ConfusedUs posted:

At least it wasn't a SHaarT

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

ConfusedUs posted:

So our tech support call center used to have to ask security questions to verify employment, and one of them was to ask for the caller's title. We had made a game of SSHing into each other's Linux boxes to install random BS Chrome extensions, and someone had installed Cloud2Butt on an intern's computer. I was helping train her, so I was listening in on the call while doing my own poo poo.

"What's your title? That's, uh...that's not EXACTLY what I have on my screen. Um. Yeah, that's CLOSE, but...hang on." She mutes the call and beckons me over.

Sure enough, the user's title reads Executive Butt Director. :v:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I work at a headhunting firm, and whenever somebody gets a .pages document they send it to us complaining they can't open it. I just use cloudconvert.com and send it back in both Word and PDF formats.

Also, :aaaaa: at .docx etc. being zip files

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So our tech support call center used to have to ask security questions to verify employment, and one of them was to ask for the caller's title. We had made a game of SSHing into each other's Linux boxes to install random BS Chrome extensions, and someone had installed Cloud2Butt on an intern's computer. I was helping train her, so I was listening in on the call while doing my own poo poo.

"What's your title? That's, uh...that's not EXACTLY what I have on my screen. Um. Yeah, that's CLOSE, but...hang on." She mutes the call and beckons me over.

Sure enough, the user's title reads Executive Butt Director. :v:

I sure hope that somehow the plugin had become involved in the "ordering business cards" procedure.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

buttconvert.com

stevewm
May 10, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I work at a headhunting firm, and whenever somebody gets a .pages document they send it to us complaining they can't open it. I just use buttconvert.com and send it back in both Word and PDF formats.

Also, :aaaaa: at .docx etc. being zip files

.pages are zip files too!

Also... cloudconvert.com thanks for pointing that one out! Could be useful.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Thanks Ants posted:

Protip - Office documents are just zip files

It's great, you can use it to get embedded video files out of PowerPoint when someone needs it for another presentation and of course the original person doesn't have the file any more and can't remember who they got it from and ohh no, now it's absolutely vital that we have a copy of this 20 second wmv of the ice bucket challenge from 6 years ago!!!!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

As a graphic designer, getting photos out of .doc files is like pulling teeth. Do a Save As > .docx, unzip, and my day gets so much easier.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Unzipping Word documents is also a really great way of saving 80 pages of content from an xml schema that's corrupted due to idiots thinking that infinite nested tables are how you lay out text.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Unzipping Word documents is also a really great way of saving 80 pages of content from an xml schema that's corrupted due to idiots thinking that infinite nested tables are how you lay out text.

I once saved an excel sheet that had someone ballooned up to 1gig and would crash when opened this way.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Anyone who installs cloud2butt or something similar on a work computer is playing Russian roulette with their dignity.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

docx et al being zip files is fun and all but did y'all know that the legacy .doc format is almost like a FAT filesystem?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ponzicar posted:

Anyone who installs butt2butt or something similar on a work computer is playing Russian roulette with their dignity.

Well the joke's on you, because I didn't have any to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

ponzicar posted:

Anyone who installs cloud2butt or something similar on a work computer is playing Russian roulette with their dignity.

Thankfully the customer I e-mailed at ibutt.com had a sense of humor. Come to think of it thankfully so did my boss.

The plugin got uninstalled shortly after that.