Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Juniper's ewe clearly knows she's weapons-grade cute, the smug grinning little thing :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Chaosfeather posted:

Hah, any chance you can get one last shave from those rams before they depart? Shame about the fighting, but you're right that's not acceptable, especially if you keep them around for breeding purposes.
Oh yeah, they're already sheared. I think a goon bought one of their fleeces for the livestock conservancy's shave 'em to save 'em program, which is really neat and if anyone is interested in fiber arts and supporting rare breed sheep they should check it out.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Honestly the single best thing this series of threads has done for me has introduced me to the concept of spotty lambs :kimchi: I had no idea sheep could be colorful before this!

I don't even have that many sheep patterns anymore! The jacobs are all dominant/extension black with white spotting. When you get into the agouti genes there's a wild amount of color and patterns. It was interesting to delve into when I had more of the cvm/romeldales but at the end of the day if I wanted to be a geneticist I would have just become a geneticist and spots are enough for me.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The opposite of baby lambs, but last month Jazz turned 14 and I thought you might appreciate pictures of her party. She got animal crackers, her favorite!

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
aaaaAAAAA
sacred space

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i would not dare to touch that lamb

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Also, I don't think I shared this with my last thread but Mina's mom had another litter over the winter and the breeder sent me these pics of all her fat baby siblings cuddled up with goats :3:

oh lord

e: could go on emptyquoting all day, thank you for sharing your magical flock with us

nankeen fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 5, 2019

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Baby sheep are very soft and good to pet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4E6MR5WdcI

I had a class to teach new farmers about lambing today and people did a good job pretending to listen but I know they were really just watching adorable baby sheep.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It is hard to take pictures of lambs when they are on top of you and chewing on your hands/hair/camera.

Daisy's girl

Miss Tache

Ladyslipper's awkward little boy. If he was a person be wearing overalls and sucking his thumb while tugging on the hem of his mom's shirt.

Aster's girl

Aster's sassypants little boy

Jaffa's boy. He has such a sweet baby face.

Jaffa's boy in front, Valkyrie's boy in the back. He's just a huge massive lunk who loves scritches and attention.

Clementine's girl in front, Jewel's girls on either side.

Kiwi chilling out for a single second after parkour-ing off my back for the past 30 minutes.

Top hay is the best hay.

Major looking not at all murderous.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love how Ladyslipper's boy looks like he's always smiling.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

How are you not spending every waking moment with these adorable sweeties? I'd die.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I hope that's her actual name. And if not, why not? :colbert:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I hope that's her actual name. And if not, why not? :colbert:

I'll probably end up selling her and her new owner can name her but if I end up registering her first that will probably be her official name.

Aster's ewe has also discovered that pets are good. Sorry about the fb video link, my phone didn't want to upload to youtube for some reason.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
So much cuteness in this world :kimchi::cry:

These threads are the best!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Easter surprise! Truffle was due on the 23rd but looked suspicious this morning so I tossed her in the feed room while I went to my parents' house for Easter dinner. Came home to a pair of nice warm and dry goat kids all snuggled into the hay. The silver brown is a doe, the regular brown is a buck.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Easter lambs! :neckbeard:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Wowwww. Hard to believe they come out so big and normal shaped, for some reason. Two in one night, too? Nice instincts!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

A friend of mine's coworker (ob/gyn office) was shocked at pictures of 3 day old goats bouncing around but baby ruminants get up and going pretty quick. These goats are actually much less active than the lambs were at this point. Baby goats tend to get parked places while mom goes and grazes then comes back to collect them so they're not as active right away. Lambs are expected to follow their moms from place to place when they graze so they need to be able to keep up asap. I often go out and have to search high and low for the baby goats because they're hidden away someplace unexpected.

A lot of the angora goats tend to have singles but Truffle is a big fat chunk and has twins. If only one of the goats got knocked up this year I'm glad it was her.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

More baby goat pictures. They were very sleepy.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Yesss curly little kids :kimchi:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

More baby goat pictures. They were very sleepy.

must kiss

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

That middle shot is so sweet!

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I hope Aster's sassypants little ram is a good one. It'd be a little heartbreaking to know that somebody that adorable is a huge jerkface. (Because holy poo poo that much cute should not be legal!)

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

GoingPostal posted:

I hope Aster's sassypants little ram is a good one. It'd be a little heartbreaking to know that somebody that adorable is a huge jerkface. (Because holy poo poo that much cute should not be legal!)

Sassypants is extremely sweet, although he's in the pack of hooligans led by Kiwi that like to come up to me acting all cute then try to eat my hair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVxajoGBMLc

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Do you still have Iph and is she still as dumb as a sack of rocks?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

eating only apples posted:

Do you still have Iph and is she still as dumb as a sack of rocks?

Yes, she’s still here and still an idiot. Right now she can’t see a drat thing because she needs to be sheared but she’s such a loving bitch at shearing that I save her for last. She spends the whole time trying to bite me in the face so she needs to be muzzled. I had kept her around for Dido’s sake because they were close but Dido’s gone now and that nasty little biohazard gets to go. All she had to do is not be awful and she couldn’t do it!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yes, she’s still here and still an idiot. Right now she can’t see a drat thing because she needs to be sheared but she’s such a loving bitch at shearing that I save her for last. She spends the whole time trying to bite me in the face so she needs to be muzzled. I had kept her around for Dido’s sake because they were close but Dido’s gone now and that nasty little biohazard gets to go. All she had to do is not be awful and she couldn’t do it!

She's getting a ticket to Freezer Camp? :ohdear:

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I think Iph has something (CAE?) that might get her spared from freezer camp. The one time she got pregnant, the baby got removed immediately to prevent exposure, I don't know if that means she's cleared for freezer camp.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I don't know where she's going yet but she can't stay here. I put up with a lot but seriously trying to hurt people is too much. She tried to rip someone's ponytail off!

She does have CAE, which is a virus that attacks the brain in kids and joints in adults. It's not something that can be cured so she'll always have it. It's primarily spread through milk so that's why when she has accidentally gotten knocked up the kids have had to be removed at birth (which she has not cared about at all). That's also how she got it. She was too dumb to nurse and had to be bottle fed. We used raw goat milk from a neighbor who had tested her flock and came up negative for CAE so we figured it was safe. Found out after Iph had been bred for the first time that it had been a false negative and her flock was infected. It can also be spread through blood so she gets sheared and hoof trimmed and vaccinated last to prevent cross contamination in case of cuts. It's not contagious to people or most other animals but sheep can get it and develop a chronic viral pneumonia.

I'm not sure if she had mild meningitis as a kid and that's what gave her the lovely attitude or what. I've tried to teach her that getting handled is a good thing that gets you treats, I do the most gentle and low stress shearing I can, and she tries to bite my face off so she's got to go.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The first of the stragglers, Mimosa, lambed this morning. Ran out to the barn before going to a shearing job in Pittsburgh and there was a ewe lamb all clean and dry and full. Good job Mimosa!

Also if anyone remembers Sinatra from 2 years ago I got pictures of him all sheared and fat and happy recently. I'm still a little sad I sold him but his people really love him.

He looks so much like his daddy Isadore.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Main batch of lambs are a month old now.

Kiwi

Awkward boy

Dipstick tail

Fancy boots

Clem's lamb

Aster's ewe

Aster's sassypants boy

Miss Tache

Daisy's girl

Mimosa's girl, she's small and cute :3:

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Miss Tache is so... symmetrical.

Congrats on making it almost all the way through lambing season!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I've been very busy shearing for everyone in the area but I'm finally done lambing!

Indigo lambed on Sunday with a wee tiny 4 lb girl.

She's doing great as a mom but she spends 3+ hours a day screaming for food and it's driving me up a wall. Baby is very cute though.

Reba wrapped things up with a set of ram/ewe twins on Monday morning. The ram is a big strapping lad but the ewe is a bit dumpy.

After watching her hunch around sadly I started supplementing her with bottles for a day and she seems fine now. Just needed a bit of a boost. She didn't want another bottle this morning so I think she's good.

Now to make sure everyone finishes growing up well and find them new homes! I also need to decide who I'm showing at the big jacob breed show in July.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yay more lambs! :neckbeard:

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Indigo lambed on Sunday with a wee tiny 4 lb girl.

Oh my god, your new sheep weighs less than my smallest cat!

I love all of your sheep. :kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

When and where is the Jacob show?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

my cat is norris posted:

When and where is the Jacob show?

Wooster, OH July 19-21. Most of the sheepy stuff will be happening on the 20th and there's a longhorn cattle show going on at the fairgrounds at the same time so there's just going to be spotted, horned animals all over the place. I have vague hopes of getting out of my 3rd place rut but no actually plans on how I'm going to do better so we'll see! I'm mostly just looking forward to seeing all my jacob friends (and bringing home new sheep).

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the lambs

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Chaosfeather posted:

Yesss curly little kids :kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Wooster isn't an impossible distance! Maybe I'll come check out the show that weekend and pet some internet famous sheeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

my cat is norris posted:

Wooster isn't an impossible distance! Maybe I'll come check out the show that weekend and pet some internet famous sheeps.

The organizer said that spectators are fine during the show in the morning but the afternoon is all lectures.

He forgot to turn off caps lock, how embarrassing.