Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ratbert90 posted:

130k a year base + 13k bonus as a Senior embedded Linux systems engineer with a focus on InfoSec working remote for a company in LA.

75k extra (After taxes) from consulting on the side on average.

It's not too bad of a gig. :shrug:

I don't know if I missed it, but congrats. I know years (5) ago you were looking for a better job, looks like it happened. Awesome and congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

skipdogg posted:

I don't know if I missed it, but congrats. I know years (5) ago you were looking for a better job, looks like it happened. Awesome and congrats!

Dude, you missed out on the whole Michigan saga.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
175k + mediocre option grant + lovely health insurance + unlimited PTO, (I take at least a week a quarter off, plus miscellaneous individual days off)

Site reliability engineer at a mid-stage startup in NYC. If I don't get a promotion + substantial bump soon I am back on the interview grind, because one of my same-level peers makes 30k more than I do, among other issues.

Re: buying a house: even if we go public and I stay 4 years and our stock does reasonably well and I sell my entire grant I still won't be able to afford a 2 bedroom condo near work.

I'd still rather live here than most other places, though. If houses are cheap it's because nobody wants them.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Lifehack: Work remote for a big city salary while living it up in a lower COL area.

Still have this thread in my bookmarks https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818260

I confirm this works. I'm in my late 40s, allegedly doing infrastructure architecture but also touching VMware engineering, Solaris support, Puppet support, containerization, and every other dang thing you can do with a UNIX-esque server and might need an assist from a senior IT person. I'm pulling in around $130k while working in SE Michigan, because my employer mostly hires people in Dallas. In Dallas I'd be doing OK. In my neck of the woods, it's enough to make me put up with a whole lot of crap. Also, while the M&A runaround means I've worked for six employers in the last 20 years, my date of hire is still 1998, and so I get 28 days PTO.

I sometimes hate my job but I am never quitting unless they stop making and selling things I want to buy.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Your wage, your ability to own property, is not reflective whatsoever of your value as a person. You are making a difference in people's lives, even if indirectly.

This is one reason I despise these dickwaving derails. Goons gonna brag wherever possible, I guess.
Not all of us have unions, and this sort of information is helpful. Plus, it doesn't seem like a tremendous amount of dickwaving going on; if so, I would expect a lot more salaries in the six figures.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wages vary so incredibly drastically by location, role, field, organization, often for perfectly legit reasons, that comparing them to randoms from around the world is completely useless. And it pisses me off when people feel hurt or down because of it for absolutely no reason, because it's ridiculous and not something they should be using as a comparison. It's nothing but dickwaving.

Having actual job descriptions with numbers instead of just titles with ranges is nice; most websites that show salary ranges just have titles, and hearing from people who actually work in the area I live in (Pacific Northwest) is good. Not only that, but getting people in the habit of discussing this poo poo and destigmatizing it is good, as employees in the U.S. are woefully underpaid, and there is next to no organization. I'm not saying we're going to solve all of our problems here, but people should definitely get comfortable talking about this stuff.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

105k Sr OT Infra Engineer in Oregon w/ decent benefits. OT is IT but for the robutts. I touch pretty much everything from the network up through VMware and server OS level for supporting manufacturing/power generation systems.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 17, 2019

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Lol, what started this was someone saying it wasn't polite to share their salary and someone calling them out saying they should because that keeps wages down, and now we've turned the corner and we're calling everyone out because of dick waving. Can't win.

Pretty much this

I find the salary sharing to be extremely helpful, and I don't think anyone is posting theirs to be a dick (ok maybe jaegerx ;)). This happened in one of the older iterations of this thread like 6 years ago (gently caress I've been posting on this dumbass forum for a long time) and directly led to me jumpstarting my career and making way more money. I had no idea I could be doing basically the same work in the same city for 50% more comp. Or that if I spent some time studying Puppet and AWS I could do even better, while also working on more interesting poo poo.

I totally agree with CLAM DOWN and everyone else who said you shouldn't chase money over all else, or tie up your self worth in it. I don't think that's the point of this discussion, though I guess it's helpful to anyone who does want to do that. I do think it is helpful in realizing whether you're in the ballpark of fair value for your skills or if you're being taken advantage of.

And of course you shouldn't just take the numbers in isolation. You need to adjust for cost of living, country, years of experience, and a number of other factors. I still think it's a useful discussion to have. If anything is unhelpful, it's coming in here to say "I make 6 figures and have amazing benefits and work 32 hours a week with a pension and union protections, but it doesn't matter what kind of job you have guys"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Not all of us have unions, and this sort of information is helpful. Plus, it doesn't seem like a tremendous amount of dickwaving going on; if so, I would expect a lot more salaries in the six figures.

What on earth did my post have to do with unions?????

And it's not remotely helpful, especially when it makes people feel bad for no reason. It's useless without the things that many people have mentioned (cost of living, benefits, work/life balance, time off, etc), and even more useless due to the vast and drastic differences by location. This is not a US-only thread.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009
80k as a Systems Admin for a law firm in Vancouver. The job is low stress (surprising for a law firm) and for the most part as long as I am making progress on my projects and there are no major issues I get left alone. I spend most of my days trying to automate my self out of a job using powershell.
Started Job searching for new work in earnest recently because although I like the place I work I want to find something a bit more engaging and challenging.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Also, while the M&A runaround means I've worked for six employers in the last 20 years, my date of hire is still 1998, and so I get 28 days PTO.

I've been through 4 of these (and the last 2 were ostensibly to specifically get access to my group and our expertise) and my hire date is set to 2010. Also work remote, and while there's bullshit to deal with it hasn't tipped over to making my cons list more important than my pros list.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

What on earth did my post have to do with unions?????

And it's not remotely helpful, especially when it makes people feel bad for no reason. It's useless without the things that many people have mentioned (cost of living, benefits, work/life balance, time off, etc), and even more useless due to the vast and drastic differences by location. This is not a US-only thread.

It's not helpful to you, got it. So we should just all stop posting in the CLAM DOWN thread?

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

especially when it makes people feel bad for no reason.

Not really seeing anyone posting about how bad they feel now?

Sorry we made you feel bad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nullfunction posted:

Not really seeing anyone posting about how bad they feel now?

Sorry we made you feel bad.

There was someone who literally posted that it made them feel like poo poo. I personally don't compare myself to others like that, but others do and you should think of them?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Where did you emigrate too? I've been really considering Australia. There's not much here any more and I just want to be warm again!!

Sorry, not somewhere the weather is any better, I live in Denmark these days, completely by chance that I met and got married to a Dane...

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

There was someone who literally posted that it made them feel like poo poo. I personally don't compare myself to others like that, but others do and you should think of them?

Ah, you are correct. Found the one post.

I still think it's more helpful than harmful. :shrug:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

nullfunction posted:

Ah, you are correct. Found the one post.

I still think it's more helpful than harmful. :shrug:

If seeing what other people make causes you to feel like poo poo, either:

You are associating your value as a person to the line on your pay stub which you should not do because your value as a person isn't even vaguely connected to your paycheck. Please do not feel bad because you are underpaid or make less for some reason.

If you feel bad because you feel like your boss is loving you over after looking at comparable wages in comparable places for a comparable job, you should absolutely try to fix that if it's feasible which is really what seeing these $s is good for!

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

$60k at entry level helpdesk in the Rockies. Good bennies. Lucky enough to work for a tech startup without having to work at the tech startup's HQ in SSF.

Post wages, don't feel bad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You are associating your value as a person to the line on your pay stub which you should not do because your value as a person isn't even vaguely connected to your paycheck. Please do not feel bad because you are underpaid or make less for some reason

Yes, I already posted that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Man, all this wage chat makes me feel like poo poo. £34k a year in the NHS as a senior network engineer. Imagine being able to own a house :negative:
If you like your job, and you're making enough to maintain your lifestyle, and stash some savings, you're doing well enough for yourself.

But if you don't, and/or you're not, take this as motivation to start looking.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
135k for IT Director at a small-ish company in Boston MA, benefits are pretty loving terrible but work/life balance is good. I've been able to get a good team together that has automated a large portion of our work, so I mostly hang out and shitpost these days.

e; I should add my salary was recently bumped a bit because we are finally moving forward with an ERP implementation and CEO is scared I will leave because the market for IT jobs in Boston is pretty hot and high salaries

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Help, I am making architectural decisions that affect payroll processing for 3000 people and I have no idea what I'm doing. :ohdear:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The Fool posted:

Help, I am making architectural decisions that affect payroll processing for 3000 people and I have no idea what I'm doing. :ohdear:

Congrats on your CIO promotion!!!!

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Location matters a bit here...65k in London goes a lot less far than 65k in Grimsby :shobon:
Leeds for what its worth

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I make 70k CAN working for a huge enterprise software company about 40 minutes west of Toronto. I'm a "Technical Analyst" which means I do support and consulting. I also mentor other members of the team and do internal technical training. 3 weeks PTO, RRSP matching, 3k a year for tuition and learning, and I have a whole 3km commute to work. No on call, no weekends. If I volunteer to work weekends I get time and a half or extra days off.

Not bad for a guy that never finished college or has any current certs. I just learn better on the job an am comfortable walking into a situation where I have no idea what's going on or have to learn complex software on the spot. I have no interest in management.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Mute_Fish posted:

80k as a Systems Admin for a law firm in Vancouver. The job is low stress (surprising for a law firm) and for the most part as long as I am making progress on my projects and there are no major issues I get left alone. I spend most of my days trying to automate my self out of a job using powershell.
Started Job searching for new work in earnest recently because although I like the place I work I want to find something a bit more engaging and challenging.

Hey law firm buddy. I work remote for a global law firm with home base in Richmond Virginia (I live in Phoenix AZ where we don't even have an office). Key to stress free life in a law firm is get high enough up that you don't deal with actual lawyers. I'm a "Senior Enterprise Systems Engineer" which really just means the people I deal with daily are other IT people. It's a pretty bad issue if I end up having to deal directly with a lawyer at all.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

X for Senior Network Security Engineer - Healthcare in Pittsburgh PA. 23 days PTO, decent benefits and 2 remote days per week. I changed jobs a few times and am making more than the people that worked their way up in the same company. About 10 years progressive experience from tier 1 ISP support.

OmniCorp fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 3, 2019

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
111k - Systems Analyst 4 for a large warehouse retail chain in the Seattle area. You figure it out. Specifically windows analystbitch/Bigfix admin. I patch things and make the compliance people happy.
Excellent benefits/work life. We understand that we are about 15% below market for wages, but the work life makes up for it. This company has never had layoffs. My 401 is 95% company stock and I have made bank. Cant afford to live closer than 14 miles to corp though.

Edit: We are dying for entry level helpdesk/call center people. My son just got on the hd for $18/hr with an aa. Sucks for a year, but then easy sailing from there. ojt is big here.

Meydey fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 17, 2019

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Meydey posted:

Cant afford to live closer than 14 miles to corp though.

See, I live 4 miles from my office and have a 10 minute bicycle commute.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

The Fool posted:

See, I live 4 miles from my office and have a 10 minute bicycle commute.

I wish...fuxking Seattle housing market

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I work from my house and not having a commute sucks rear end

The grass is always greener I guess

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009

TheFace posted:

Hey law firm buddy. I work remote for a global law firm with home base in Richmond Virginia (I live in Phoenix AZ where we don't even have an office). Key to stress free life in a law firm is get high enough up that you don't deal with actual lawyers. I'm a "Senior Enterprise Systems Engineer" which really just means the people I deal with daily are other IT people. It's a pretty bad issue if I end up having to deal directly with a lawyer at all.

You defiantly speak the truth mate. I work in the same room as our support chaps and I would not wish there jobs on any one. Most our lawyers are not too bad although they are a rather odd lot but there are a few that have that have that special combination of impatience, entitlement and inability to listen that make them a truly errr unique group to try and support.

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

$24k as Junior IT Support at a super small MSP. Never went to college, the only certs I have are from that Google IT support class on Coursera. We manage ~20 O365 tenancies. I mostly do break/fix stuff, but they're slowly having me take on larger, long-term projects.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

This conversation is definitely making me think about my future.

36k as a "noc technician". Hourly so I do get payed overtime. This is my first real IT job, been there about 7 months now, so I don't have anything to compare it to. This involves anything from being tier 2 support for residents to troubleshooting and configuring switches and wireless networks. Cost of living is low enough that I'm comfortable and able to make payments on all my debts but haven't socked anything away in savings yet (I'm also kind of bad with money, but this isn't the thread for that.)

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
$147K/year in Maryland as a "system engineer", basically setting up virtualized test environments for a military command based on Fort Meade. What's the secret, you ask? Join the military, get a security clearance, and stick around until you retire 20 years later. (I also get $41K/yr in retirement pay). Then trade your familiarity with your prior command for a sweet contractor gig.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

Vulture Culture posted:

I work from my house and not having a commute sucks rear end

The grass is always greener I guess

We go around with this conversation a lot. I love working from home and having no commute. Everyone is different which is partially why this salary conversation is pointless in my eyes. Knowing what random internet goon makes doing a job similar to mine means nothing unless he or she is living where I live, and doing similar work to what I do.

For those of you with "lower" paying jobs if you're truly concerned about it consider looking at the job market and see what others in your area are being paid.

A lot of it is experience too. When it comes down to it, I'd be willing to bet that if everyone who makes "good" money (as good is relative) posted number of years in IT we'd see a pretty significant correlation to higher number of years worked.

TheFace fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 17, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Garrand posted:

This conversation is definitely making me think about my future.

36k as a "noc technician". Hourly so I do get payed overtime. This is my first real IT job, been there about 7 months now, so I don't have anything to compare it to. This involves anything from being tier 2 support for residents to troubleshooting and configuring switches and wireless networks. Cost of living is low enough that I'm comfortable and able to make payments on all my debts but haven't socked anything away in savings yet (I'm also kind of bad with money, but this isn't the thread for that.)

Do think about the future, but remember many of us have been doing this for 10, 15, 20+ years. My first "IT" gig was DSL tech support for 12 bucks an hour, and my first real IT gig was 42K a year salary. You'll work your way up as your career grows. It will grow, but it does need to be fed. Take advantage of training and tuition reimbursement at work. Don't be afraid to apply to jobs you think are a reach. Job postings are wish lists, not hard requirements.

ltugo posted:

$147K/year in Maryland as a "system engineer", basically setting up virtualized test environments for a military command based on Fort Meade. What's the secret, you ask? Join the military, get a security clearance, and stick around until you retire 20 years later. (I also get $41K/yr in retirement pay). Then trade your familiarity with your prior command for a sweet contractor gig.

I'm in San Antonio and the Secret and TS/SCI IT guys here make stupid amounts of money. There's tons of gigs here as well. If only I could find a company willing to sponsor the secret clearance.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Mute_Fish posted:

You defiantly speak the truth mate. I work in the same room as our support chaps and I would not wish there jobs on any one. Most our lawyers are not too bad although they are a rather odd lot but there are a few that have that have that special combination of impatience, entitlement and inability to listen that make them a truly errr unique group to try and support.

I did support for a small legal software company from 2007 until I was thankfully laid off in 2009. All of our customers worked for ASPs specifically for legal firms and everyone was miserable. You could hear them throwing Blackberries across the room every time they rang. If we gave the customer an answer they didn't like, they'd just call our GM and CEO to complain and get their way. Our after hours "Emergency number" was publicly available on the corporate site and customer would call for anything and everything. I refuse to do oncall work as a result of this job.

I do. Not. miss that bullshit at all.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Even if you don't want to relocate, which I respect, please at least get a little something more.

Boss know's I'm very underpaid and is trying to get me up to 70k. I feel a bit bad making that since the technicians who work for me make between 29 and 35k, but it's not like I'm gonna say no. They did an outside salary study 5 years ago; nearly everyone at the school is underpaid though, not just IT. There was a compensation plan in place, but then tuition tanked, so that got postponed and they're finally picking it back up this year.

My county's median salary is only 35k, cost of living is 75. Not a lot of IT jobs around, especially at a higher level, unless I want to commute. I'm just tired of the width of responsibility; it's cool getting to touch all the tech, it sucks when there's fires (there's always fires)

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

Don't be afraid to apply to jobs you think are a reach. Job postings are wish lists, not hard requirements.

The actual most important advice.

If you want the job, apply for it. It is their job to filter you out—not yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Do think about the future, but remember many of us have been doing this for 10, 15, 20+ years. My first "IT" gig was DSL tech support for 12 bucks an hour, and my first real IT gig was 42K a year salary. You'll work your way up as your career grows. It will grow, but it does need to be fed. Take advantage of training and tuition reimbursement at work. Don't be afraid to apply to jobs you think are a reach. Job postings are wish lists, not hard requirements.

I'm in San Antonio and the Secret and TS/SCI IT guys here make stupid amounts of money. There's tons of gigs here as well. If only I could find a company willing to sponsor the secret clearance.

Our security guy is a member of the national guard or the reserves or something like that just to keep his clearance active.