Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

----

2018 was a big year for the old guard, with ancient stalwarts Mark Williams and John Higgins contesting the World Championship final, the former winning his third world title 15 years after his second, an incredible sporting feat that has only ever been matched by Lou Pickles. Some old fella called Ronnie also did alright last year.

However, this is 2019, and while things never change at all, they also change very quickly. Williams is still suffering from a 12 month hangover of debauchery, public nudity, and Haribo, while Higgins perpetually struggles with Definitely Going To Retire Soon syndrome. There are still a few good players out there though - with the qualifiers starting up tomorrow, let's look at five of the main contenders this year.

Ronnie O'Sullivan needs no introduction, but he is an English professional snooker player who is widely regarded as one of the greatest players in the history of the sport. Since turning professional in 1992, he has won five World Championships, a record seven Masters titles, and a record seven UK Championships, setting a record total of 19 titles in Triple Crown tournaments.[2][4] He shares the record for the most ranking titles (36) with Stephen Hendry, while his career earnings of over £10 million put him in first place on snooker's all-time prize-money list.[5] Winning the Tour Championship on 24 March 2019 made him the sport's current world number one, the fourth time in his career that he has held the top position and the first time he has been number one since May 2010. This is the longest gap between number one spells by any player in history.[6]

Anyway, he recently compiled his 1000th century break, an astounding feat of skill and longevity which is certain to never be matched for at least five years. Ronnie's playing arguably the best snooker of his life, and is a solid favourite to finally hit that magic six mark and emulate his old mentor Ray Reardon.

Stuart Bingham, 2015 world champion, is enjoying an Indian Summer within an Indian Summer. His form dipped after becoming world champ, culminating in a three month period at the end of 2017 where he inexplicably failed to win a single match, but he's looked very good for chunks of this season, and he's another elder statesman looking to become champ once more.

Judd Trump, world champion loser, has had a season to justify Dennis Taylor's one-handed commentary, only surpassed by the man everyone says he's the new one of even though the old one is still the best one. A lot of smart money will be going on Trump to win his maiden crown, until he crashes out to Hossein Vafaei and said money looks slightly less smart.

Neil Robertson, 2010 world champion, has clawed his way back into snooker's elite, while coping with depression and a gaming addiction. The token Commonwealth contender heads to the Crucible with another tournament victory under his belt, and will be joining Bingham in hoping for a number 2 at the WC.

Mark Selby is sort of on the cusp of no longer quite being as good as he was, a la Davis in the early 90s and Hendry in the early 2000s, but he'll be looking to prove his best years aren't behind him. A fourth title would see him stake a claim to domination of a decade like those two, which is absurd to think about in this Ronnie-led modern era, but then jesters tend to deal in absurdity.

Others to watch out for include the Chinese contingent, who may be something like six strong come day one, and ladies Reanne Evans and Ng On-yee, looking to become the first women to be patronised at a major event. Oh, and Jimmy White's still attempting to qualify. Will something magical happen on the 25th anniversary of his last and greatest attempt to claim the biggest prize in the game? No.

OLD THREADS: 2018/2017/2016

HJB fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

If you haven't watched the Trump - O'Sullivan match from the Tour championship last month you should. Proof positive that snooker is the best sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnIYhrE9oHU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Day One of qualifying has started.

LIVE SCORES: http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/LiveScoring/Tournament/14072/betfred-world-championship-2019-qualifiers
FULL MATCH LIST: http://livescores.worldsnookerdata.com/Matches/Index/14072/betfred-world-championship-2019-qualifiers

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

in before my dude Pvt. Public wakes up and comes flying in here to call at least 2 competitors a oval office

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

HappyCamperGL posted:

If you haven't watched the Trump - O'Sullivan match from the Tour championship last month you should. Proof positive that snooker is the best sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnIYhrE9oHU

This was such an unbelievable match. I watched it again just to make sure I hadn't dreamt it!

DJExile posted:

in before my dude Pvt. Public wakes up and comes flying in here to call at least 2 competitors a oval office

I mean, let's be honest here. I love O'Sullivan, but he's clearly got the base qualities to be one. He's a lot better now than he used to be, to be sure. Hell, I hate the poo poo out of Andrew Pagett, but he's not even on the tour. And that's for personal reasons.

I think you could make the case for Mark Allen being a full-on CAHNT. He's certainly a bit of a whiner, though he sees to have left a lot of that behind. He's a bit of a dick in person, but I don't really fault him for that as I hate the poo poo out of people in general. He's definitely said some poo poo that wasn't warranted, though his constant dogging of Hearn is at least funny if nothing else.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 10, 2019

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

^ Ali carter is definitely a oval office.

The Peter lines Vs Michael judge qualifying match started at 10am yesterday, and finished with a decider at the back of 3am this morning. :stare:

Edit - Lol

https://twitter.com/Nick007J/status/1116235832741060609?s=20

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 11, 2019

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The ladies are first up today, as are a couple of big names in Fu and Perry. Rory McLeod is the biggest casualty so far, denying us another chance for social media to erm loudly over his ISIS sponsorship.

E: He has arrived

HJB fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 12, 2019

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

sadly it looks like marco fu could be missing out on the crucible for the first time since 2004. he's 9 - 6 down to the talented young chinese luo honghao. he's just not the same player since his eye condition developed.

his fellow countrywoman ng on yee though is more than holding her own against 'angles' mcmanus - level at 6 each.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 12, 2019

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Go Neil Robertson. He's finally playing well again.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Fu is indeed out, as is Ng On-yee who went 6-5 up before the Angles Grinder did its thing. Evans lost tamely but posted the high break of the match, which means nothing to anyone except the most hardcore gambler.

Graeme "Wee" Dott starts his campaign this morning, who will always be one of my faves despite all evidence and logic.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

a few more significant casualties. european masters champion jimmy robertson, and the persian prince hossein vafaei both lost. and ebdon looks to be on his way out much to the delight of everyone.

more interestingly are amateurs james cahill, and michael judge who beat the hitman holt and xiao guodong. they now play each other on judgment day guaranteeing an amateur player will qualify for the crucible for the first time in i guess a very long time (or possibly ever can't be arsed checking). judge only got his wildcard as a last minute replacement for zhang jianking who couldn't sort out his visa in time.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Our Jimmy managed to fail to lose initially, but is now failing at failing to lose, as expected, and needs to win six frames in a row. Good luck with that.

UPDATE: He failed

HJB fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 15, 2019

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

i think technical term for this snooker is 'lol hosed'

edit -

this one's a doozy too

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 17, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Ooo! Snooker thread. I'd been looking for one.

So, how the gently caress do I watch this stuff in the US? Would like to follow it more but nobody in the US gives a poo poo so I basically can't. There's no easy legal option as far as I know.

E: @above, that first snooker there is loving art.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 18, 2019

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/clusterofreds1/status/1118632209911619584

Here's the qualifiers. If this is accurate, I was spot on with my China estimate, so I'm smug about that. Sounds like the draw's coming up in an hour or so.

I need to see Dennis' line for this, I live for it.

Resting Lich Face posted:

So, how the gently caress do I watch this stuff in the US? Would like to follow it more but nobody in the US gives a poo poo so I basically can't. There's no easy legal option as far as I know.

Last time I did a thread I recall World Snooker had some coverage on their official YouTube and Facebook pages, so check those out from Saturday.

----

HJB fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 18, 2019

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Resting Lich Face posted:

Ooo! Snooker thread. I'd been looking for one.

E: @above, that first snooker there is loving art.

apparently it's on 'dazn', whatever that is, in usa and canada.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/dazn-to-broadcast-world-championship-in-usa/

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Stay Dench, Or Get Xintonged. Quote this post when he wins the whole thing.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Ken Doherty is commentating on a Shorn Morphy game, mark that one off on your bingo cards.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The records are tumbling already. Brecel and Gary Wilson contested the longest ever frame in Crucible history, which fortunately was the decider, while Murphy has just completed only the second ever whitewash (the first being by his uncle from another grandmother, John Parrott), restricting Luo to 89 points, a record low. Apparently his high break of 25 is also a record low, so he leaves Sheffield with two accolades.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
Luca Brecel is so inconsistent, it's frustrating. Sometimes I'm all "phwoar lookat that new Ronnie" and then he just... forgets how to play.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

outside a couple of breaks selby has been gash again. but zhao xintong is gifting him this, he has the most incredible ability to smash in long pots from anywhere, and then miss the absolute simplest of shots straight after.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Ronnie's not a fan of the early rounds anyway, but his sheer disdain at having to play an amateur is showing through. He will absolutely announce his retirement again if he loses.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

HJB posted:

Ronnie's not a fan of the early rounds anyway, but his sheer disdain at having to play an amateur is showing through. He will absolutely announce his retirement again if he loses.

Oh poo poo he's 5-8 behind??

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Cahill just one frame from victory now.

Edit - he did it! Faultless clearance for the young lad to win. First first round loss for OSullivan since Marco Fu in 03.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 23, 2019

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Interest in this year's WC snooker now: 0.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Trump is a huge favourite now #outofcontext

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

HJB posted:

Trump is a huge favourite now #outofcontext

Well he's 6-3 down to Thepchaiya. Starting to look very good for Robertson.

E - hard hitting investigative journalism from the guardian

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 23, 2019

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Been a good tournament so far, even if James "Party Pooper" Cahill ruined it for everyone.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
That brown pot by Gary Wilson while hovering an inch over the blue with the rest. :discourse:

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

maybe those kebabs were a mistake afterall.

https://twitter.com/markwil147/status/1121828896427712513

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He's not retaining this year.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ding's playing some shite.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Feeling very much like a Robertson-Trump final, with everyone else there to have fun along the way. Still can't stomach seeing Gary Wilson play face-on.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Players are still getting a lot of unexpected bounce from the cushions.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

hawkins playing some godlike snooker this morning.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Though the Hawk's (first) 147 attempt kinda sums up his career.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ali Carter is throwing a very slow tantrum.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

goatface posted:

Ali Carter is throwing a very slow tantrum.

He really is the most annoying player with his Mr Angry act. Every little piece misfortune and the universe is against him. Then he gets a big slice of luck like that red along the rail to the yellow cushion that should never have dropped.

Zhou has been really impressive though.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Ali's still floating, like a wasp. Wilson-Hawkins was excellent, and it's the earliest the latter has been knocked out since 2012 would you believe. Let's look at some pictures.

You can tell who I've been perving on :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Best/worst fluke I have ever seen.