Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

It definitely sounds like boiled fluid or your brake lines flexing heavily. Possibly both. Are you running rubber lines still?

The fronts are braided but the rears are still standard thinking about it, or as far as I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
It's not the brake lines, you boiled the fluid.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That's definitely fluid boil but replacing any remaining rubber lines with steel braided wouldn't be a bad idea.

Were you running regular street brake fluid or a higher temp one?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Have a feeling it may have just been standard stuff as I had a bunch of work done a little while back and the brakes needed bleeding. I usually go for ATE Typ 200, which will be what I'll use

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Typ 200 is good. I use Project Mu lines on my MR2 and I have no complaints.

I use RC09 pads from the same company. They are great but absolutely chew up rotors.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://prizes.drivenasa.com/hawk-performance-hpde-awards-program/

🤔

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

I mean what's the problem? 35%+ off my brake pads seems good to me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
No problem found, just linking it since it was announced this morning

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I saw that and just got my NASA card in the mail earlier this week. They also announced a discount program with winding road for equipment. Haven't submitted anything yet but there could be some savings there.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

NitroSpazzz posted:

I saw that and just got my NASA card in the mail earlier this week. They also announced a discount program with winding road for equipment. Haven't submitted anything yet but there could be some savings there.

NASA has had a discount at winding road for a while, you have to register with them but it’s worth it. I got a nice discount on my datalogger.

There’s another place announced this year too. Competition motor sports? They might just be sponsors though, I haven’t checked.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wish Maxxis contingency would be announced for this year... and that they would do another run of 255/40/17 RC1s since they have been out of stock for three quarters of a year now.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Maxxis suck at keeping stock. The RC1s seem to wear better at my track and are as fast as NT01s, but I've never been able to get a set when I need tires.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Gigi Galli posted:

NASA has had a discount at winding road for a while, you have to register with them but it’s worth it. I got a nice discount on my datalogger.
I'll need to check that out, my helmet is out of date and my shoes are nearly worn through.

Bugging my fab guy to finish up the locost cage so I can get on the track.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Went to Harris Hill for the first time today, and it rained pretty hard.

Got humbled in my first session when I spun the car for the first time :shobon: In my defense, it was wet, and I was coming down turn 5, off-camber downhill turn, got on the power a little too early towards the end and slid the rear around.

We were spaced out pretty good so no real worries there. Kept it pretty solid the rest of the day, started to slide the rear a tiny bit around 7 when it was raining more later in the day but I managed to counter-steer and save it.

I was worried as hell about driving in the rain for the first time on track, but it was a blast and honestly probably taught me a lot. Really had to get a feel for the weight load and traction at all times, and it was really cool seeing where puddles would form and how the ideal line would shift as part of the track would get wetter and you'd want to find grip in a slightly different line.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
A wet track is the best track.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

drgitlin posted:

A wet track is the best track.

Conversely, corner working a wet course always sucks rear end.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Yes I imagine that sucks even more than spectating in the wet.

Fuzz_83
Nov 9, 2016

BloodBag posted:

Conversely, corner working a wet course always sucks rear end.

When you work on Pit Lane, and there are no garages - its even worse. No umbrellas, no shelters. And sometimes volunteers forget : Can't wear Red or Yellow ponchos.

Fuzz_83
Nov 9, 2016
I don't think I ever posted this here (or ever posted in here ever, period), But if there is any of you in the Northeast US or Eastern Canada want to take a pretty kick rear end driving school (Noobs, or Experienced drivers alike), There is this great event happening - a 2.5 day race school, accredited by ASN Canada FIA (the sanctioning body in maple syrup land). It's good for those that need an accredited school, also good for those that want to get their feet wet with driving period.

Two events, 1 at Autodrome St-Eustache in Montreal on the 19-21 of April, and another one at Calabogie Motorsports Park (Outside of Ottawa) May 3rd to 5th.

Check the links for more Info, ask any questions if you got them.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/race-school-academy-calabogie-motorsports-park-148077
http://www.aselc.ca/aisa-race-academy/
https://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/event/aisa-race-academy-driving-school/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I went back to Chuckwalla yesterday, ended up running CCW config, which was nice because it meant I could pretty much directly compare the new Stoptech C43 brakes versus before. Ambient temp was about 20* higher and first day NT01s versus two day old NT01s from my last trip out in February.

Last trip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX8Q8FOXyBQ
Managed a 2:01:817 and won my TA class. For comparison sake, an Integra did a 2:01:096 on Hoosiers to win TT4. Apparently my last post where I said an E36 M3 did a 58 was incorrect (http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/...9%20-%20CCW.pdf)

This trip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBaXVmiQ2Bo
2:00:184 in the last session of the day. I figured times were done since it'd gotten so hot, but I always do my 80% out lap and two hard laps as practice. I was working on trail braking more deeply into corners yesterday rather than straight line and fade off as I turned in... it made a pretty significant difference. The brakes feel like a security blanket of consistency compared to stock calipers, super comfortable to brake very late and on edge into corners now. The stock brakes were incredibly inconsistent, requiring quite a lot of pedal pressure to get the car slowed down and had a very narrow window of maximum braking before going into ABS.

shoutout to the E92 M3 dude with the no-lift point by doing the frustrated GO GO GO wave

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 14, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Very nice.

(turn on spot metering on your camera)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
For some stupid reason they got rid of spot metering in the new GoPros :smith:. I should just paint the interior white.

edit: wait, maybe I am about to be learned
edit2: there is an exposure lock feature now, you tap the touch screen while recording to pick a spot to meter for and lock the exposure. It resets every time the camera turns off

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 15, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I've been thoroughly unimpressed with the silver 4 that I got a few years ago. My original HD vibrated itself to death after 5-6 years of hard use, the Hero 4's internal mic broke after the 3rd time I used it?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd had similar experiences with GoPro in the past, so I bought one of those China Yi Lite things for like $40. The thing worked really well for two years (still works now.) but I wanted external mic input, so I figured if I was going to spend the money I may as well get the real thing (Hero 7 Black). Apparently I made a mistake.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Noticed my helmet is way past due replacement, SA2005... What's the go-to budget helmet that preferably is HANS ready? Would be great to stay under $500 but not sure if that's going to happen. Considering holding out until SA2020 helmets hit the market and either getting a brand new one or picking up a used SA2015.

There isn't crap for helmet shops locally, might have to do a day trip to AMP Discovery Parts to try on a bunch. My old helmet was a cheapy that was never that comfortable.

edit: crap HANS needs to be re-certified as well, I've been out of the game for too long

edit #2: Looks like neck restraint anchors are required on all SA2015 helmets which is nice

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 17, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
HJC ARIII? My liner has worn out after something like 40 days and it isn't the unicorn glove that my Arai motorcycle helmets were, but it is cheap and works.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Basically everything is HANS ready nowadays, mount points are part of the 2015 spec. Gforce has a couple in the $200 range, I forget what I have but it gives me a headache.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'll check out the HJC, my dirt bike HJC never gave me headaches. I'd love to splurge for a Arai quality helmet but that's :homebrew:

My old helmet is a low end Gforce and it's uncomfortable as hell, I'm not buying another one of their helmets no matter how cheap they are.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I've had a couple of the cheaper end Bell hemlets and have been tickled pink so far.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yea, I think the Bells are nice too, as long as they fit your head shape. Problem is you usually can't just walk into a store and try these things on like you can with motorcycle helmets :(

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I recently picked up a Black Armor Composite Solo: for a $200 SA2015 open face it's pretty nice. It's less comfortable than my Arai GP5W (L size in both), at equal weight, but it's a lot cheaper for a passenger / autox / 2nd helmet.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'll check out the HJC, my dirt bike HJC never gave me headaches. I'd love to splurge for a Arai quality helmet but that's :homebrew:

My old helmet is a low end Gforce and it's uncomfortable as hell, I'm not buying another one of their helmets no matter how cheap they are.

I have an SA2005 HJC AR whatever and it’s cheap and comfortable. The pads are easy to swap out if you need to change it from S to M, too.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Might toss a low ball at https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zamp-Small-Carbon-Fiber-RZ-44C-Air-Snell-SA-2015-Helmet-With-Head-Set-And-Mic/323759724659

Dad's always went with Bell and been happy, maybe we have similar head shapes? Really should just do a day trip to AMP or further into Atlanta and find a shop with helmets to try on.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's crazy to me that something that expensive doesn't have more accomodation for varying headshapes. I guess the foam as shaped is what's certified? So they can't give you a bunch of different foam inserts?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I was surprised how much variation there was even within the same brand.

I'm lucky to have a pro shop within 30 minutes of where I live. It made picking a helmet a piece of cake. He's also got a wall of seats setup so I'll be going back next time I need one of those.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kimbo305 posted:

It's crazy to me that something that expensive doesn't have more accomodation for varying headshapes. I guess the foam as shaped is what's certified? So they can't give you a bunch of different foam inserts?

The EPS foam is what compresses in an accident, the shell is bonded to it

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

The EPS foam is what compresses in an accident, the shell is bonded to it

In motorcycle helmets the shell will be the same for a few different sizes, fit is adjusted with cheek and other pads. I think my Arai shell was good XS through Medium depending on pads. Not sure if that's the same for auto use stuff but I'd imagine it may be.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was thinking he meant the white inner foam being swapped out, my bad :v:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

BlackMK4 posted:

Yea, I think the Bells are nice too, as long as they fit your head shape. Problem is you usually can't just walk into a store and try these things on like you can with motorcycle helmets :(

I'm so spoiled by having Pegasus local to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Go for the Zamp. I had a HJC AR-10 before I got a RZ-44C. The Zamp has so much better ventilation, keeping the visor down isn't miserable like it was with the HJC.