Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

blightfall is an adventure game though, and regrowth is just calming and nice. i could see people playing Exoria again if the futurepack stuff gets removed

"who plays these repeatedly" should perhaps be phrased as "who plays skyblocks repeatedly"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDead1
Aug 12, 2007
Sky Factory 4 is meant to release today and apparently it has some kinda prestige mechanic for starting a new map.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TheDead1 posted:

Sky Factory 4 is meant to release today and apparently it has some kinda prestige mechanic for starting a new map.
Yes, the last dozen or so posts have been discussing it.
I'm with BlondRobin -- the act of trivializing a certain resource or unlocking access to a new better recipe already happens in Skyblocks. The difference is that in SF4 you have to restart for it, and in every other pack you just have to reach new tech.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Technically I've played E2ES twice but that's because I abandoned my first playthrough early on and started again after it went through an extensive number of updates. But yeah I don't know. I guess it depends what exactly the prestige rewards are? Like, will you skip the sieving step altogether? Get a set of MystAg seeds? Or will it give you a set of machines?

Also I think Futurepack is neat. I am the only person I know who does though. :(

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

Technically I've played E2ES twice but that's because I abandoned my first playthrough early on and started again after it went through an extensive number of updates. But yeah I don't know. I guess it depends what exactly the prestige rewards are? Like, will you skip the sieving step altogether? Get a set of MystAg seeds? Or will it give you a set of machines?

Also I think Futurepack is neat. I am the only person I know who does though. :(

Futurepack IS neat, but it's way too loving granular and slow.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

McFrugal posted:

Yup, 100%. It's the Thaumcraft Research problem all over again.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

McFrugal posted:

The research minigame is garbage. Back when I was 'progressing' through it on the old DPT server, I literally just kept throwing combinations of poo poo at it until it deigned to unlock the next research. Repeat ad infinitum.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

The research minigame is garbage. Back when I was 'progressing' through it on the old DPT server, I literally just kept throwing combinations of poo poo at it until it deigned to unlock the next research. Repeat ad infinitum.

It's not quite that bad, but yeah it is tedious. The main thing is that the categories aren't ordered; if you need A B and C to complete the research, you could also submit it with C B A or whatever. This means that you'd try one item, and if it worked, you'd leave it on and try the next. If not, you turn it off. That puts the time to complete each research entry at a maximum of 10 or 12 clicks, however many the UI had. I forget.

It sure as hell isn't interesting, at any rate.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's not quite that bad, but yeah it is tedious. The main thing is that the categories aren't ordered; if you need A B and C to complete the research, you could also submit it with C B A or whatever. This means that you'd try one item, and if it worked, you'd leave it on and try the next. If not, you turn it off. That puts the time to complete each research entry at a maximum of 10 or 12 clicks, however many the UI had. I forget.

It sure as hell isn't interesting, at any rate.

Triple that, since you have to click the thing to attempt each research, and another click to disable whatever button doesn't work. Every attempt at a research eats up 2 seconds and sometimes the thing crashes on you. Because a machine crashing needs to be part of the loving mod mechanics.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Sky Factory 4 is out, for anyone who wanted to give that a shot.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Sky Factory 4 is out, for anyone who wanted to give that a shot.
The builder wand it starts you with gets auto placed in the crafting grid as a stick. I lost mine :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Khorne posted:

The builder wand it starts you with gets auto placed in the crafting grid as a stick. I lost mine :(

It doesn't do anything anyway. It's a gag item.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Khorne posted:

My game crashes when I hit Single Player to start making a world. Guess I'll wait a couple days to iron out the bugs.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

It doesn't do anything anyway. It's a gag item.
That's good to know.

Devor posted:

My game crashes when I hit Single Player to start making a world. Guess I'll wait a couple days to iron out the bugs.
You need to downgrade or upgrade topography, your choice. 1.4.5 and 1.4.3 both work fine. 4.0.0 shipped with 1.4.4 by accident because it came out right as the pack was pushed.

Topography 1.4.5. I used multimc so I just downloaded that and swapped it in. With twitch launcher, I'm not sure how you change it but it's probably easy enough poking through menus.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 16, 2019

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Khorne posted:

Topography 1.4.5. I used multimc so I just downloaded that and swapped it in. With twitch launcher, I'm not sure how you change it but it's probably easy enough poking through menus.

Cheers! Giving it a shot.

In Twitch, you hit Options/Settings for the modpack, uncheck Locked, then find the mod and hit the up-arrow to update it to the most recent version.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also if you're getting a crash trying to play singleplayer (I am), it seems to work if you download the latest version of the topography mod, here.

E: Beaten. Wanted to verify it personally before posting. But it did work for me!

E2: The world options are really drat cool, actually. First time I've ever seen a skyblock offer vanilla-style worlds that just don't have ore. I think I'd way prefer that over another infinite void. SCompactsky and Skygrid could both be really interesting and different, too. Stone Factory taking tips from Stoneblock and the Astral Sorcery one just looking very pretty.
Better still they're all explained clearly, unlike most packs that make you choose from multiple starting worlds by name alone.

Some of these gimmick worlds are actually pretty funny.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 16, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Khorne posted:

For the twitch launcher, go to the pack options, choose unlock pack. Confirm, then go to the mods section and click the up arrow on Topography to update the mod to the latest version.

Unrelated; what are the custom mods for SF4?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
twitch launcher just pushed an updated to fix the crash-on-start bug anyway

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
From eyeballing the Mod Options for OreExcavator, do I have to finish an achievement to unlock it?

And followup, how do I turn that off because gently caress not having OreExcavator

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Devor posted:

From eyeballing the Mod Options for OreExcavator, do I have to finish an achievement to unlock it?

And followup, how do I turn that off because gently caress not having OreExcavator
It looks like it's only off if you're doing prestige mode. I'm playing normal and I have it.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I reckon a Majora's Mask type mechanic could be fun. I'm thinking you spawn next to an indestructible hourglass, which shows how many days you have left before the world resets. Additional visual and auditory cues on the last day would help ensure players aren't caught out.

Your first major task is to make a special backpack, which will retain whatever's put in it at each reset. An expandable backpack would mean players can progressively get a bigger headstart each reset. Possibly the hourglass can be upgraded as well, creating a zone of safety, inside which nothing is reset. The end goal would be to stabilize the entire world.

It'd probably need a few QOL mods, like building gadgets and compact machines, to make rebuilding your base each time less of a hassle.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Some of these gimmick worlds are actually pretty funny.

Ender The Sea :stare:
Both resonant ender-themed world types seem terrible since if you ever get exposed to it you're probably never gonna get back to base and you might as well restart. Is Ender The Sea even possible? Don't you need more room than that? ...maybe you can expand via careful use of pistons...

Sky orchard seems like a fairly decent alternative to sieving or alchemy.
edit: nevermind, already tired of trees.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 16, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I really want to play a normal kitchen sink pack in the infinite block world.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
yo, i think seed storage in Awakenings is bugged. I try putting seeds in but they dont go in. the ui doesnt change at all.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Khorne posted:

I really want to play a normal kitchen sink pack in the infinite block world.
Sky Grid? Packs definitely exist for that, I'm sure.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Man I HAD been wanting to play skygrid in a modern pack but turns out I'm completely incapable of skygrid!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The only pack I know that uses skygrid is Dark Grid, and last time I tried to play it, rock crystal ore spawned bats carrying Ender Crystals when you tried to mine it. Yeah, that wasn't great.

Something confuses me about Astral Sorcery. The lenses only work if you have access to a collector crystal, right? Why do they unlock in your book before you have access to collector crystals? Are you supposed to initially use them just to redirect starlight beams from the floating crystals in ruins?

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

McFrugal posted:

Something confuses me about Astral Sorcery. The lenses only work if you have access to a collector crystal, right? Why do they unlock in your book before you have access to collector crystals? Are you supposed to initially use them just to redirect starlight beams from the floating crystals in ruins?

I believe the book entry on starmetal ore or someabouts there explicitly mentions tearing the roof off one of the ruins to use its default crystal for a lens, and yes it does work (that’s how I got started in a pack I rolled myself I’ve been playing with) so yes, I think that is the intended progression.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You need to use lenses for the starlight booster platforms before you can make collector crystals, too.

Edit: or are they just glass panes.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 16, 2019

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

They are lenses.

Also placing lenses around a starlight altar will allow it to collect more starlight. This makes a few more recipes possible during the day and can make up for the altar being in a lovely place at night. Although if you built your altar super high up and/or in a place with lots of starlight you may not need them.

They are mostly there to allow you to "fix" your badly placed altar without having to move the whole mutli block.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Antillie posted:

They are lenses.

Also placing lenses around a starlight altar will allow it to collect more starlight. This makes a few more recipes possible during the day and can make up for the altar being in a lovely place at night. Although if you built your altar super high up and/or in a place with lots of starlight you may not need them.

They are mostly there to allow you to "fix" your badly placed altar without having to move the whole mutli block.

my favorite thing about astral sorcery is that i can either go on a grand quest to find the ultimate spot or just force the stars to bend to my whim in my backyard

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Patware posted:

my favorite thing about astral sorcery is that i can either go on a grand quest to find the ultimate spot or just force the stars to bend to my whim in my backyard

This ain't no joke. I really appreciate that you can brute force away the exploration aspect if you so choose.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eventually fixed the SevTech no progression thing. It's apparently a known issue and you have to restart the server once to kick it in the rear end and force it to catch up.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

You need to use lenses for the starlight booster platforms before you can make collector crystals, too.

Edit: or are they just glass panes.

Antillie posted:

They are lenses.

You're both thinking of relays. Unless you mean the crafting ingredient called the glass lens.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

You're both thinking of relays. Unless you mean the crafting ingredient called the glass lens.

It's actually both. You craft a multiblock containing a relay at the center, then huck a clear lens into the relay to make it work.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
why do so many packs make me build a whole infrastructure , then tear it down and replace it with something pretty much identical?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Like what? My skyblock bases are generally hilarious messes because I don't tear anything down and just continually add to the obsolete stuff.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
like e2e. why put industrialcraft and immersive engineering in if they both do the same thing?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Mycroft Holmes posted:

like e2e. why put industrialcraft and immersive engineering in if they both do the same thing?
why put either in if they both do what thermal/eio do, just slower and full of more bullshit :getin:

Honestly I wish the standard 'tech' mods were... more homogenous? Like, playing multiplayer, everyone's technical portion of the base looks the same. Same powered furnaces, same ore processing machines, etc, because there's always a point when one thing is clearly the "best" option. I wanna play a multiplayer pack where you have the same top tier tech gear/armor/tools, but you get to choose what the machines themselves look like without doing a crazy Iskall-esque "build facades around your machines to make them look more complicated than they are."

Hell, I'd be fine with a pack that just gave you Vanilla, But Options. Ten different kinds of diamond, all paintable, but the tiers are exactly the same.

e: gently caress it, that's my new fancy mod idea. Style Kits for Thermal machines. Lemme change up the art style, but not the functionality. Turn servos into weird plugs, or furnaces into wild west machines, just... make them look different.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Whalley posted:

Hell, I'd be fine with a pack that just gave you Vanilla, But Options. Ten different kinds of diamond, all paintable, but the tiers are exactly the same.

e: gently caress it, that's my new fancy mod idea. Style Kits for Thermal machines. Lemme change up the art style, but not the functionality. Turn servos into weird plugs, or furnaces into wild west machines, just... make them look different.

Can’t you just achieve that by installing a resource pack?