Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i remember thinking the disc transforming being really cool and i hadnt seen that before in other cd's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i remember thinking the disc transforming being really cool and i hadnt seen that before in other cd's
Yeah, same! I bought that CD with money I earned doing a friend's homework for them in high school (lol) and saw that effect and it blew my teenage mind.

Is anyone still doing things like that? I know physical media's not a big thing anymore, but like there are artists on Spotify making different videos for each track of their album, kinda like how each track on The Slip has its own artwork.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was 16 when YZ came out lmao

Jeez, this makes me feel old. I had a bootleg VHS copy of the uncensored version of Happiness In Slavery in like... 1993?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I got into NIN because a girl two grades older than me had a TDS shirt 1994. I took a bus to the record store and bought TDS just to see what it was, haha.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

As stupid as it might sound, this was my first real exposure to the NIN sound lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqSKqS91UdA

This album came out when I was 9 (same year as The Fragile, actually) and I listened to it endlessly :shobon:

Then later on when I was 15, I had a girlfriend who loved them so I got a little more into them, but nowhere near as much as I did when YZ came out.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

As stupid as it might sound, this was my first real exposure to the NIN sound lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqSKqS91UdA

This album came out when I was 9 (same year as The Fragile, actually) and I listened to it endlessly :shobon:

Then later on when I was 15, I had a girlfriend who loved them so I got a little more into them, but nowhere near as much as I did when YZ came out.

ha! i think technically that and the polka where he uses closer (alternative polka, i think?) were my first exposure, but i didn't really start listening until i saw the video for only and even then it was years before i realized germs was supposed to be a nin sound. following year zero here on the forums is what turned me into a diehard fan, so thanks for that, thread!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The legit coolest thing about Year Zero is running the weird static at the end of The Warning through a spectral frequency display in an audio editing program.

Minidust posted:

I'm pretty sure every shared college network at the tail end of the 90s had a NIN folder with "02_NIN_FUCK_YOU_LIKE_AN_ANIMAL.mp3" and "The Legend of Zelda (Live) - Nine Inch Nails Trent Reznor.mp3"

My favorite was how every Type O Negative "cover" was just the original real track slowed down to 50%.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

The legit coolest thing about Year Zero is running the weird static at the end of The Warning through a spectral frequency display in an audio editing program.

My favorite was how every Type O Negative "cover" was just the original real track slowed down to 50%.

:aaa:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

sticklefifer posted:

Holy gently caress.

As an audio engineer / sound designer, I love this and kind of hate that I didn't know about it before. I know about the Mick Gordon DOOM thing, and the Aphex Twin poo poo, and I don't even listen to Aphex Twin :psyduck:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I was 16 when YZ hit and the thing that made me go "huh, maybe NIN is worth looking into" was seeing a bunch of posts on digg (!) about the ARG, and how part of the marketing was them "leaking" new songs on USB drives left in bathrooms at gigs.

At that point I'd heard stuff like The Hand That Feeds and Closer but hearing My Violent Heart for the first time in the run up to the album's release was a real holy gently caress moment for me.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't even listen to Aphex Twin :psyduck:

You should buddy

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Speaking of Aphex Twin and NIN,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Rypc3u0Crw

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I read a review of Further Down the Spiral awhile back (it was either Pitchfork or someone that really wanted to be Pitchfork) that was just sort of going track by track being snarky about all of them and then they got to the Aphex Twin song and, as a indie music reviewer, that person is legally not allowed to talk poo poo about Richard D James so they just dismissed the song as a paycheck that James did despite the fact that NIN obviously sucks and I still get a little annoyed thinking about it.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

The Big Word posted:

I was 16 when YZ hit and the thing that made me go "huh, maybe NIN is worth looking into" was seeing a bunch of posts on digg (!) about the ARG, and how part of the marketing was them "leaking" new songs on USB drives left in bathrooms at gigs.

At that point I'd heard stuff like The Hand That Feeds and Closer but hearing My Violent Heart for the first time in the run up to the album's release was a real holy gently caress moment for me.

When MVH came out it was back when most file hosters were horribly limited so I uploaded the mp3 to my personal website so people could access it.
For some reason, the link to the song on my site was the one that got submitted to Digg and it hit the top of the site. I had people for weeks e-mailing me and going through my files and trying to guess my password as my stupid personal website MUST have been part of the ARG.

Good times.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I love YZ, but MVH is a bottom tier song for sure.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Run Dodo Run posted:

When MVH came out it was back when most file hosters were horribly limited so I uploaded the mp3 to my personal website so people could access it.
For some reason, the link to the song on my site was the one that got submitted to Digg and it hit the top of the site. I had people for weeks e-mailing me and going through my files and trying to guess my password as my stupid personal website MUST have been part of the ARG.

Good times.

Didn't Trent or someone literally come out and say please stop bothering the owner of https://www.myviolentheart.com as they had nothing to do with the ARG? Did they do the same for you? Link's dead now looks like but it used to be someone's personal webpage.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

axelblaze posted:

I read a review of Further Down the Spiral awhile back (it was either Pitchfork or someone that really wanted to be Pitchfork) that was just sort of going track by track being snarky about all of them and then they got to the Aphex Twin song and, as a indie music reviewer, that person is legally not allowed to talk poo poo about Richard D James so they just dismissed the song as a paycheck that James did despite the fact that NIN obviously sucks and I still get a little annoyed thinking about it.

I think Trent confirmed that the record company guy came by the house and Richard just handed them a random tape for that album. Which blows because an actual AFX/NIN collab would be colossal.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
In an interview, I know Richard said that happened with a Lemonheads remix he was supposed to do (that never got released), but maybe it was the same for that as well. Nothing released some Squarepusher and Plug (Luke Vibert) so I'd hope he'd have some respect for Trent.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The arg started with USB sticks on bathroom floors and ended with a concert in a basement that was broken up by future police

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Did anyone listen to the album without following the arg? I can't separate them in my mind after following that thing for months and can't imagine it's the same experience without knowing all the background to the whole story.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Pops Mgee posted:

Did anyone listen to the album without following the arg? I can't separate them in my mind after following that thing for months and can't imagine it's the same experience without knowing all the background to the whole story.
Me; I’m not sure what the ARG even gives you. Doesn’t the album pretty much explain everything?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

david_a posted:

Me; I’m not sure what the ARG even gives you. Doesn’t the album pretty much explain everything?

:same:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The ARG was really well done is the thing. It's possibly the only well done ARG I've seen

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Pops Mgee posted:

I was only vaguely aware of the ARG so me. It's a good album either way.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

magiccarpet posted:

The arg started with USB sticks on bathroom floors and ended with a concert in a basement that was broken up by future police

If I'm not mistaken, first piece of the ARG was font/letter weirdness on the back of a euro tour t-shirt. Which led to a phrase which led to a website.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't have any tattoos but the AiR flag from the ARG is one of the only things I've ever seriously considered getting a tattoo of:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

magiccarpet posted:

Yeah, scary stuff.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
the best was when TR would get into it on the ets forum with random lovely fans. He was such a good poster

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

the best was when TR would get into it on the ets forum with random lovely fans. He was such a good poster
Remember when he put up that huge torrent collection on the forums? That ruled

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The best teitan moment was when he put up a torrent of the years-delayed Closure DVD, linked it in ETS, and then on official-rear end nin.com posted something like “Merry Christmas! If you know what I’m talking about: cool. If not, don’t worry about it.”

I miss that Trent.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
He was always talking poo poo. Even early on twitter he was too but he stopped after a while since he was too online. Gg

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I remember when Death Grips were gonna open for NIN and Soundgarden on tour in 2014, but they broke up literally on my birthday and Trent tweeted "Why did I think those guys could keep it together?"

Then they got back together relatively quickly because I saw them live the following year lmao

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I don't have any tattoos but the AiR flag from the ARG is one of the only things I've ever seriously considered getting a tattoo of:

That’s not a bad idea. About 20 years ago, I got the Sin logo on my calf because I wanted a NIN tattoo but not an obvious one. I like your idea better tbh.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
https://twitter.com/raehex/status/969050630550630401

If I had an exhibit 24 number I would have got a tattoo exactly like this.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

empty baggie posted:

That’s not a bad idea. About 20 years ago, I got the Sin logo on my calf because I wanted a NIN tattoo but not an obvious one. I like your idea better tbh.

sin logo is pretty sick tho

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

From the Where do I start with ___ ? thread:

Kvlt! posted:

Nine Inch Nails?

I suggested Downward Spiral and/or Broken first, then Pretty Hate Machine, then if all that sounds appealing, everything after Downward Spiral.

Which would you suggest to someone looking to get into NIN nowadays?

Year Zero's probably another good starting point.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

From the Where do I start with ___ ? thread:

I suggested Downward Spiral and/or Broken first, then Pretty Hate Machine, then if all that sounds appealing, everything after Downward Spiral.

Which would you suggest to someone looking to get into NIN nowadays?

Year Zero's probably another good starting point.

Strobe light

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Pops Mgee posted:

Strobe light

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

GuavaMoment posted:

Didn't Trent or someone literally come out and say please stop bothering the owner of https://www.myviolentheart.com as they had nothing to do with the ARG? Did they do the same for you? Link's dead now looks like but it used to be someone's personal webpage.

No, it wasn't as bad as that person got.

Trent did call me a loving idiot over on ETS though for saying I didn't like Chris Vrenna's drum sound :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

The whole ARG blew my mind regarding what was possible to build around an album. I loving loved it and watched oh so jealously from half the world away. At 21, I was exactly the right age to dig it all too.

There were so many different levels to that whole thing. I wish more artists did something like that.

Also, YZ the album owns bones and still holds up very well.

fake edit: can't wait to check out Strobe Light gently caress yeah
real edit: fake edits that apply equally in 2007 and 2019 itt