Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Demonstrate these skills by bringing the ad with you to the interview and sarcastically read it to the interviewer while doing the :jerkbag: motion throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

frankly the whole ad is a bit shoddily written, I'd expect "excellent" communication skills or something, "great" seems out of place

anyway there's a lot of jobs out there, I mostly posted b/c I found it funny

e: I need to time my edits better, or stop posting when it's half past one

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 17, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
i wish there were courses in how to get better at being a contrarian naysayer so i could be more effective at fending off these idiotic managerial and consultant visions that roll around every once in a while

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Private Speech posted:

it was sent by a recruiter among a bunch of other general things like "conscientiousness" and "great communication skills"

it does offer about 15% above market rate (for the UK outside London, which is, uhh, somewhat over 40k pounds)

the money is the main reason I'll give it a go, I can always drop it if it indeed turns out crap

edit: on a semi-related note I know H1Bs get treated badly but the money is tempting sometimes

I mean £40k like $55-60k, which is a pretty poo poo wage for a tech worker anywhere in the states. H1b is good if you're getting paid literally 3-4 times that amount, which is not hard at all there.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Thanks for reminding me why I should never go back to the UK though, among the long list of many other reasons lol.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
uk peeps go “on holiday” for months at a time. their poo poo pay is factored into that

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

obstipator posted:

uk peeps go “on holiday” for months at a time. their poo poo pay is factored into that

Don't think this is true. UK minimum holiday is 20 days, which is the worst in Europe. Still miles better than anywhere in NA, but nowhere near enough to account for the fact they get paid not even half as much.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qhat posted:

Don't think this is true. UK minimum holiday is 20 days, which is the worst in Europe. Still miles better than anywhere in NA, but nowhere near enough to account for the fact they get paid not even half as much.

for the next six months anyway

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
Cross-posting from the Oldies thread:

I've been lucky enough to receive offers from Indeed and Wayfair. I was hoping to hear other people's feedback on comparing them, especially from those who have worked at these two companies or lived in Austin/Boston.

Background on myself: 4 YoE as a full stack developer + CSE undergrad. In a weird situation where I decided to go full time to business school (graduating in May) but preferred SWE to PM, so looking to return to a SWE role.

Offer from Indeed (Austin, TX): Technical Business Analyst (80% coding), TC: $97k: $85k base + up to 15% bonus.

Offer from Wayfair (Boston, MA): SWE2, TC: $160k: $125k base + $7k relo + RSUs

What is important to me:
- Living w/o roommates
- Short commute (15 minutes <)

I was leaning towards Indeed since CoL is cheaper in that area versus Wayfair. It looks like I'd have to pay around $1.3k in Austin for an apartment versus $2.6k in Boston. On the other hand, the Wayfair position is closer to what I would want to be doing career wise. I've read the horror stories about Wayfair, but the team I'm isn't customer-facing, so I don't think I'd need to deal with it. Even if I did, I feel like I've grown accustomed to working in companies with terrible engineering practices with my previous experience.

Any advice?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ProSlayer posted:

I've been lucky enough to receive offers from Indeed and Wayfair. I was hoping to hear other people's feedback on comparing them, especially from those who have worked at these two companies or lived in Austin/Boston.

Background on myself: 4 YoE as a full stack developer + CSE undergrad. In a weird situation where I decided to go full time to business school (graduating in May) but preferred SWE to PM, so looking to return to a SWE role.

Offer from Indeed (Austin, TX): Technical Business Analyst (80% coding), TC: $97k: $85k base + up to 15% bonus.

What is important to me:
- Living w/o roommates

I was leaning towards Indeed since CoL is cheaper in that area versus Wayfair. It looks like I'd have to pay around $1.3k in Austin for an apartment versus $2.6k in Boston. On the other hand, the Wayfair position is closer to what I would want to be doing career wise. I've read the horror stories about Wayfair, but the team I'm isn't customer-facing, so I don't think I'd need to deal with it. Even if I did, I feel like I've grown accustomed to working in companies with terrible engineering practices with my previous experience.

Any advice?

living w/o roomates in boston is gonna be godawful expensive but i think you figured that out

e- also live within 15 minutes walking distance because big lomarf at the T during rush hour

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ProSlayer posted:

...preferred SWE to PM, so looking to return to a SWE role.

Wayfair in a sec because it's actually a role you want and pays more. Idk poo poo about Boston but there's absolutely a commutable nice neighborhood for cheaper.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Idk poo poo about Boston but there's absolutely a commutable nice neighborhood for cheaper.

if the goal is a 15 minute commute, no there is not

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

probably not to copley where wayfair is located. i work in seaport and live in east boston. blue line and walking is roughly 20-30 minutes and it's a cake commute compared to my previous hoboken to midtown nyc one.

e: you can probably do it from east boston in 30-45 though. blue line is pretty reliable.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 17, 2019

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
What the gently caress does "Do you have any experience with quality code or would you be interested in getting into a highly visible project involving quality code review?" mean? Is "quality code" some new buzzword or is this guy for real just asking me if I'm good at my job

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ProSlayer posted:

What is important to me:
- Living w/o roommates

Any advice?

wayfair. i managed to live without roommates in boston on an 85k salary, you can absolutely make it work on 160k

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
holy gently caress rescinding the chase offer was like breaking it off with a needy guy you went on one date with

I’m moving to nyc :toot:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EoRBvdVPQ

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cheese eats mouse posted:

holy gently caress rescinding the chase offer was like breaking it off with a needy guy you went on one date with

goondolences

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
lol - getting past naysayers and blocker

The incumbent must have a keen sense of the boundaries of post authority and the direction that superior leadership would adopt in response to an evolving situation.

you have to do it without being told

E: Whoever wrote that line, didn't anticipate the obnoxiousness of using superior in that context.
or - they did

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Magissima posted:

What the gently caress does "Do you have any experience with quality code or would you be interested in getting into a highly visible project involving quality code review?" mean? Is "quality code" some new buzzword or is this guy for real just asking me if I'm good at my job

Code Quality is using things like SonarQube to remove lovely code from your projects. Technically the code works, but it's unmaintainable dogshit.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cheese eats mouse posted:

men are such loving garbage

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

got my offer signed today, should be working by mid-may :unsmith:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

:toot:

:woop:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

qirex posted:

:yotj::hf::yotj:

just kinda pretend you can see the hi five, there

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Got a "thank you but no thank you" :smith:

Though I'm considering it a de-rust interview, retroactively, but still hurts.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lotta :yotj:s lately gj goons

edit:

iospace posted:

Got a "thank you but no thank you" :smith:

Though I'm considering it a de-rust interview, retroactively, but still hurts.

and keep it up to those who haven’t made it yet!

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 18, 2019

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I saw some Amazon people getting offers for 140-150k base in Vancouver, Canada, can I assume the same ranges for Microsoft and Apple here too?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Acer Pilot posted:

I saw some Amazon people getting offers for 140-150k base in Vancouver, Canada, can I assume the same ranges for Microsoft and Apple here too?

https://www.levels.fyi/?compare=Apple,Amazon,Microsoft&track=Software%20Engineer

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

thanks! data is a bit scarce in canada apparently but works for me

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The company I asked to expedite the process a bit, decided to pass. This was after I handed in my code sample. I asked for feedback on the code, and got back. "There was no feedback. I think there was a change in focus where they are looking for someone who is a very senior/lead iOS developer. If I get any specific feedback from the team, I will let you know." You're an internal recruiter you should know what the reqs are if they've changed. This is pretty frustrating as I thought I handed in some solid code.

Does anyone know iOS and have time to give me some feedback on this code? I'm pretty flustered right now.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

That sounds like internal wrangling, it doesn't sound like they're really sure who or what to hire, if anyone at all. It's entirely possible they put the ad out to gauge the talent on the open market and then ultimately decided to reorg internally. Who knows, interviewing is garbage.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
it is impossible to overstate just how shambolic most companys hiring practices are, and theres no profit in trying to figure them out from the outside based on limited information. just move on and keep applying

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I unironically am looking forward to seeing how the hiring process that got me aboard at newjob actually works, in the way one looks forward to seeing the cause of a traffic jam

(it will, admittedly, be productive for my anxiety to see how much of a fuckclump it all is)

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
:yotj: Offer signed today!

I had 2 offers in 2 days. I really appreciate all of you posting in this thread (and the other SA threads related to programming), your questions and especially your advice for everything related to interviewing made a significant difference for me.

I should have been a racecar driver, it would have been less stressful and more predictable. I remain cautiously guarded about the on-boarding.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gallatin posted:

:yotj: Offer signed today!

I had 2 offers in 2 days. I really appreciate all of you posting in this thread (and the other SA threads related to programming), your questions and especially your advice for everything related to interviewing made a significant difference for me.

I should have been a racecar driver, it would have been less stressful and more predictable. I remain cautiously guarded about the on-boarding.

grats

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
just got confirmation yesterday that two of the three people on the team i'd been interim leading had been making more money than me, one by like 50%

sad to leave those people but i do not miss that company one bit. last day was yesterday, mexico vacation starts tomorrow, :yotj:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gallatin posted:

Sign left Gallatin! Nooooo!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

raminasi posted:

just got confirmation yesterday that two of the three people on the team i'd been interim leading had been making more money than me, one by like 50%

sad to leave those people but i do not miss that company one bit. last day was yesterday, mexico vacation starts tomorrow, :yotj:

Rofl what a total joke. Company got what was coming to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

raminasi posted:

And when you confronted them about it what did they say? :allears: Congrats on the :yotj: btw!