Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Hobo Clown posted:

I dunno if I'd say that but there are a couple decent ones. It does go on some weird tangents that don't wrap up anything from RDR2 nor offer any insight into RDR1 and just kinda feel like padding.

The finale is fun.

I'd say they do a pretty good job of setting up why Marston came back (couldn't make an honest living up north), how they tracked him down (he kept forgetting his own fake name because he's a bumbling dumbass), and what happened to the rest of the gang (fewer dead than expected!). I enjoyed it even if playing as Marston is weirdly unsatisfying after 50+ hours as Arthur Morgan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

I'd say they do a pretty good job of setting up why Marston came back (couldn't make an honest living up north), how they tracked him down (he kept forgetting his own fake name because he's a bumbling dumbass), and what happened to the rest of the gang (fewer dead than expected!). I enjoyed it even if playing as Marston is weirdly unsatisfying after 50+ hours as Arthur Morgan.

Unsatisfying really is the right word. Like, when John can met up with Tilly and Pearson and Mary Beth, it was just so empty. No closure of any kind.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
The epilogue has the best song in the game

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Although the epilogue did lead me on an adventure to track down everyone's graves. Which led to me going back to the site of the final battle to see if Micah got one. Nope, they just left his sorry rear end in the snow to be a popsicle. And you can take his gun.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Unsatisfying really is the right word. Like, when John can met up with Tilly and Pearson and Mary Beth, it was just so empty. No closure of any kind.

I missed this entirely on my first play through. Are these stranger encounters?

I ran through this my first time because I was so involved in the story, I missed a ton of the side missions - once chapter four started I was full steam ahead on the story missions. This time though, I've just started chapter six and I can't believe all the poo poo I missed.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

I missed this entirely on my first play through. Are these stranger encounters?

I ran through this my first time because I was so involved in the story, I missed a ton of the side missions - once chapter four started I was full steam ahead on the story missions. This time though, I've just started chapter six and I can't believe all the poo poo I missed.

No, they're all in specific places.

Mary-Beth is at the train station in Valentine, Tilly is on the streets of Saint Denis, and Pearson is running the general shop in Rhodes.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

DeathChicken posted:

Although the epilogue did lead me on an adventure to track down everyone's graves. Which led to me going back to the site of the final battle to see if Micah got one. Nope, they just left his sorry rear end in the snow to be a popsicle. And you can take his gun.

Is this a mission or did you just do it on your own?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

On my own. There's an achievement for examining all of them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It is insane how many cool backstories you can hear hanging around the camp. I'm not talking about mission-specific dialogues either, you have to hang out there at various times of day for extended periods of time to hear them randomly come up. Although I noticed this pretty early on so while I definitely missed some scenes I feel like I got more than my share.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
If you don’t do the epilogue you don’t play the greatest mission in the game .

building the house to music

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Charles riding Uncle around piggyback was the high point of the game, and this game had some high points.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Nash posted:

If you don’t do the epilogue you don’t play the greatest mission in the game .

building the house to music

Can't find this masterpiece outside of Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/agsse5/that_lumbago_aint_a_joke/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Mary-Beth is at the train station in Valentine, Tilly is on the streets of Saint Denis, and Pearson is running the general shop in Rhodes.

You can also run into Rains Fall at the train station in Annesburg

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also I don't know about the others, but Mary Beth can apparently only be found *before* you finish the final epilogue mission, else they're gone.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Hobo Clown posted:

I dunno if I'd say that but there are a couple decent ones. It does go on some weird tangents that don't wrap up anything from RDR2 nor offer any insight into RDR1 and just kinda feel like padding.
I mean the final reveal that all the events of RDR 1 were created by Jon getting revenge on Micah were pretty heartbreaking honestly. Especially if you apply Arthur's beliefs about revenge to Jack.

I like the epilogue, but I was very thrown off by how linear and constraining it feels. There is sort of a sweet spot where it feels like it opens up and you can really just be a badass cowboy roaming the wilderness and getting into scrapes. But even when the story isn't moving in a pretty linear fashion, it just doesn't feel right to go exploring because that's just not what the story is and I'm too much of a dork to break that too much. The epilogue just didn't serve me in feeling like I could go out and have ongoing cowboy adventures. I think I'm eventually just going to replay it from the start and do almost everything you can in the main story.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
I had a camp conversation where it was just Micah buttering Dutch up. Like, he was being so obvious my jaw actually dropped and Dutch was just eating all that horseshit right up. Glad to know that my decision to only antagonize Micah at camp remains a good one.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
Is there ever a moment when Micah doesn't come across as a piece of trash worthy only of contempt and scorn? I haven't had a single interaction with him where he hasn't been over the top lovely and annoying.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

no.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

TheBananaKing posted:

Is there ever a moment when Micah doesn't come across as a piece of trash worthy only of contempt and scorn? I haven't had a single interaction with him where he hasn't been over the top lovely and annoying.

His cool jacket, that's it. hosed up you can't get a similar one. When his art and screenshots were released I was hoping he'd be a cool dude but oof boy was I loving wrong.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I still have 300 bucks in bounty because of that jerkoff.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Have you considered that Red Dead is bad, actually, because the protagonist isn't racist and sexist enough??

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Mantis42 posted:

Have you considered that Red Dead is bad, actually, because the protagonist isn't racist and sexist enough??

Who the gently caress says "homage" that way?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Dutch van der Linde is the wokest man in the wild west and that's genuinely one of his more endearing traits.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I liked Micah's exchange with Arthur and Bill during a stagecoach robbery.

Micah: Arthur, spring the lock.

Arthur: Why am I springing the lock?

Micah: Because this was my plan and Bill's an idiot.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DeathChicken posted:

Also I don't know about the others, but Mary Beth can apparently only be found *before* you finish the final epilogue mission, else they're gone.
Nope, found her afterwards.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Did I miss something with the first run-in during the epilogue with Pearson or do he and John not even acknowledge each other at all? I walked in and it was just like "feel free to shop around" and no discussion at all about knowing who each other was.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

Did I miss something with the first run-in during the epilogue with Pearson or do he and John not even acknowledge each other at all? I walked in and it was just like "feel free to shop around" and no discussion at all about knowing who each other was.

That's a reasonably common bug. Head back, there's supposed to be a cutscene

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Pearson was weird in my game, he chatted to John but it didn't do an actual cutscene like the others got, it was just normal dialogue.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, it was the same for me. Disappointed I immediately robbed him.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
On a different topic, do we think a RDR1 remake as DLC is a shoe in? It seems insane that they've gone to the trouble of building all of New Austin but just leave it almost totally empty (+ those voice files). I'm really really hoping they don't pull a GTA5 and just focus on online exclusively, even though I know they probably will because it makes them megabux.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

ThomasPaine posted:

On a different topic, do we think a RDR1 remake as DLC is a shoe in? It seems insane that they've gone to the trouble of building all of New Austin but just leave it almost totally empty (+ those voice files). I'm really really hoping they don't pull a GTA5 and just focus on online exclusively, even though I know they probably will because it makes them megabux.

I thought I remembered someone glitching into Mexico too. I think there's more coming

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Coming this Summer, visit Mexico in Read Dead Online...

... in our new competitive multiplayer mode!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mantis42 posted:

Lmao at this

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

only on chapter 3. ive spent the last two hours playing poker in camp. camp is the best.

edit: uncle was begging me for money earlier and now he's 5 dollar up on a 1 dollar buy-in. his hands are really good... a little too good.

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 20, 2019

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Mantis42 posted:

imagine being so triggered you edit together over an hour worth of video of terrible critique because oh god they made the protagonist likable instead of a giant sexist racist

like holy poo poo has this guy never watched a loving western? rdr2 isn't new with the protagonist usually being pretty progressive relative to other people in that they don't give a poo poo about people beyond their personality and skillset.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Bad bi'niss

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

doctor 7 posted:

imagine being so triggered you edit together over an hour worth of video of terrible critique because oh god they made the protagonist likable instead of a giant sexist racist

like holy poo poo has this guy never watched a loving western? rdr2 isn't new with the protagonist usually being pretty progressive relative to other people in that they don't give a poo poo about people beyond their personality and skillset.

My grandmother was in the hospital last year, and I watched about 8 hours of westerns with her one Saturday, in particular a couple hours worth of Wanted Dead or Alive episodes. Steve McQueen is a good guy bounty hunter who punches out bad guys who ogle women, and helps to clear innocent men wrongly convicted. He was a SJW on a TV show in the *50s* so they can miss me with that bullshit.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

My grandmother was in the hospital last year, and I watched about 8 hours of westerns with her one Saturday, in particular a couple hours worth of Wanted Dead or Alive episodes. Steve McQueen is a good guy bounty hunter who punches out bad guys who ogle women, and helps to clear innocent men wrongly convicted. He was a SJW on a TV show in the *50s* so they can miss me with that bullshit.

The Good Cowboy who only does Good is a silly trope that's easily spotted and laughed at, but I almost feel like you have to sanitize at least the lead so that the audience gets to see and be immersed all the rootin tootin six gun shootin action of the Wild West without feeling too vile about it. How awful would it be to play as a Skinner brother or whatever, or Micah, so there's just no possibility for redemption (:imunfunny:) or an interesting character arc. I also laughed and closed that video the second I saw it was an hour loving long, good lord go outside

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

This is really a game that actively punishes you for being a jerk, with how quickly you can rack up absurd bounties that will force you into being a murderhobo who isn't allowed near civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

This is really a game that actively punishes you for being a jerk, with how quickly you can rack up absurd bounties that will force you into being a murderhobo who isn't allowed near civilization.

And when you do become a murder machine, the people at camp lecture you. I’ve been taken to task for killing people by all of the girls, Pearson, and Rev. Swanson. Saint Denis is the worst - you bump into someone and get a bounty for assault.