Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

motbob posted:

Sarazanmai: They Turned the Freaking Frogs Gay
:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Ikuhara 2: Ikuharder

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I like “Weird Stuff Butt Stuff” better but I don’t know what that other thing is a reference to.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I like “Weird Stuff Butt Stuff” better but I don’t know what that other thing is a reference to.

Conspiracy theory by Alex Jones and others that the government is putting chemicals in the water to turn frogs (and eventually people) gay.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm not really a fan of references so I'm inclined to keep the OP and the title clean and subtle for now

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
that's lame, make it the gay frog joke

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Conspiracy theory by Alex Jones and others that the government is putting chemicals in the water to turn frogs (and eventually people) gay.

Of course this came from Alex Jones. I'd heard of the gay frogs conspiracy stuff but didn't know where it came from.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Would rather not have to think about alex jones in the context of things I enjoy that are cool and good, like aoty Sarazanmai

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Aside from the whole butt thing, there's definitely a lot of overlap with Penguindrum - abstract stick figures representing people, a couple of iconic symbols being present everywhere (penguins/kappas and the "desire" marsupial in the hearts), highly stylized transformation sequence, weird behaviors that get put in an entirely unexpected light right at the end, etc.

Since I liked Penguindrum, I am definitely down for this, but I hope this show develops its own distinct identity somewhere down the line. Wouldn't want to see Ikuhara get stuck in a rut.

A lot of the overlap is because the chief animation director is the same one from penguindrum. I wouldn't expect to see those elements disappear, but Ikuni has never had much of a problem going for something different, even when it's much to my dismay.

I'm having a blast with this one. My mind is still blown by the ア in circle = a ni maru thing. He speaks English, there's no way he doesnt know that sounds like "animal," and same with the rather leonine cop's name sounding like Leo to western ears. I genuinely can't wait to see why there are signs saying "animal" all around the city.

Y'all are lucky, I cant watch it until Sunday :mad:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

oh I thought all those As where just for rear end/anal

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Lysistrata posted:

I'm having a blast with this one. My mind is still blown by the ア in circle = a ni maru thing. He speaks English, there's no way he doesnt know that sounds like "animal," and same with the rather leonine cop's name sounding like Leo to western ears. I genuinely can't wait to see why there are signs saying "animal" all around the city.
Wait, explain? I didn't see this.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003

Maera Sior posted:

Wait, explain? I didn't see this.

It's information from a friend of mine who's been tracking Sarazanmai since last year; she speaks Japanese and noticed it a while back. All those little ア signs plus the animal-focused/animalistic nature of the show (frogs, otters, desire)? Of course he knows. He has to. I've been picking apart his stuff since '99, dude is in love with his puns. This is definitely one of them.

motbob
Feb 19, 2009
I don't think anyone knows what the ㋐ mean. On a superficial level it's a reference to something that actually exists in Asakusa:

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Ha, no, of course it's not confirmed, and my money is on that it probably never will be. This is the dude who told people that Miki's stopwatch was key to the secrets of the universe or some poo poo when according to the translated interviews in the Nozomi release, one of the other directors, I believe, says it's the length of the previous dialogue line. I haven't verified that but eventually I'm gonna have to, if only for my own curiousity.

But no, this is exactly the kind of pun that he always includes in his work, and if it's a double pun on one of the rail lines, so much the better.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Does the animal thing work? "A ni maru" to me implies "a circle in A." Maru ni A would be "A in a circle." Japanese word order is pretty flexible though so I guess there could be something there.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

motbob posted:

I don't think anyone knows what the ㋐ mean. On a superficial level it's a reference to something that actually exists in Asakusa:

Those are fine looking trains.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I ended up reading to get more info on kappa lore and the lil thing on top of their head, the hollow full of water, is called sara which translates to dish

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, and Sara was found in a dish on the street iirc. She says dish instead of desu, has that female kappa looking thing, and also has what appears to be a dish on her head as well. Also also, I've heard her last name has some relation to sarazanmai that I dont remember, but take that with a grain of salt. :thunkher:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Pootybutt posted:

Would rather not have to think about alex jones in the context of things I enjoy that are cool and good, like aoty Sarazanmai

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

coronatae posted:

I ended up reading to get more info on kappa lore and the lil thing on top of their head, the hollow full of water, is called sara which translates to dish
Yup, and "mai" is a counter for flat objects which includes dishes/plates. And san is of course three. So the title is just "Three Dishes."

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The emphasis on circles, loops, the contrast in love and desire, I think there is more to the name than just kappa related stuff

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I wasnt expecting the gayest show in over a year to also include the good weed or waterboarding

omg the cops dancing/singing

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 18, 2019

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
My personal favorite bit this episode was the dance number between the cops

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Keppi's extraction face was also very good

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

That stinger :aaa:

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

coronatae posted:

I'm only surprised it happened that quickly, but I guess if there's only 11 episodes...

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Exia posted:

My personal favorite bit this episode was the dance number between the cops

After episode 1 I knew song and dance numbers were going to be a thing and it STILL caught me off guard.

This loving show man...

Also:

coronatae posted:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

My friend recc'd this anime and I'm so happy I managed to watch it v:v:v

The last show I saw was penguindrum so it's good to be back and I like the OP/ED.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

What surprised me about the stinger was that they actually showed the kiss itself. I was thinking about it as compared to Yuuri on Ice where they didn't explicitly show lips locking but implied it as hard as they could. But here it's ok because he's dressed as Sara. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I also don't know Japanese censorship laws.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

coronatae posted:

What surprised me about the stinger was that they actually showed the kiss itself. I was thinking about it as compared to Yuuri on Ice where they didn't explicitly show lips locking but implied it as hard as they could. But here it's ok because he's dressed as Sara. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I also don't know Japanese censorship laws.

Yurikuma waited till the very end but it had the girls kiss and it lasted a whole lot longer than that

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Welp, one of my theories regarding the use of boxes in the series was tossed out, but so much more was added.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

All the cats in Japan, and dude had to steal the one that was a pothead smdh

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Pootybutt posted:

All the cats in Japan, and dude had to steal the one that was a pothead smdh

Couldn't have come out on a better week.

...Do you think that was deliberate?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Dzhay posted:

Couldn't have come out on a better week.

...Do you think that was deliberate?

Hell yes I do.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Still having difficulty wrapping my brain around the cops. They seem to be antagonistic to Keppi, both ideologically and directly, but I'm not sure how. Also, lol at Keppi using diminishing returns to keep the kids hooked.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The cops are related to Sara and it just happens that whatever she deems lucky in an episode is seemingly targeted by the cops.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

I want the cat song for my ring tone.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Still having difficulty wrapping my brain around the cops. They seem to be antagonistic to Keppi, both ideologically and directly, but I'm not sure how. Also, lol at Keppi using diminishing returns to keep the kids hooked.

And they wastedwisely used the most powerful dish on a giant cucumber roll...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Show is good, but I am not sure how I feel about having the transformation and fight sequences in this episode basically be on fast-forward. I understand that they have a limited runtime and, especially with only 11 episodes, every second counts but it still feels a bit odd to have the show's signature sequences treated like a disposable routine this early on.

On the other hand, if this is what it takes to have that cops musical number, I am ready to take that sacrifice.

Unrelatedly, the stinger really reminded me of the ending to episode one of Penguindrum.