Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Here is an interesting video to watch after finishing Edith Finch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bMn4CoyUkM

EDIT:

BioEnchanted posted:

What Remains of Edith Finch Part 5 - The Tales of Lewis Edie, Dawn and Edith (Finale) TRIGGER WARNING - Gregory is 2 years old, and given how the characters all end up in their stories, you can see where this is going.

In which we finish the story.

I really love how Lewis's story gets you in his mindset, the monotony of his work leading you to seek out more interesting vistas, getting you just as engrossed in his imagination as he is as he completely disassociates due to his drug withdrawal. And all the while, you keep moving the mouse, beheading the salmon, part of the factory, no longer aware of it, but still making the motions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Thanks for quoting it, I hadn't noticed I forgot to remove some text from the prior video.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Drac is back and so am I.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Got distracted by seeing Shazam today that I forgot to post the next Deltarune part here. Our ragtag group of idiots gets an appropriate team name.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Sonic Adventure 2

The Hero Story concludes with the last time Eggman was effectively evil.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

I got lost again and performed high level precision platforming.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Made another oneshot video of the other Digipen game I downloaded (same college that resulted in Perspective)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLzW2jiZGTw

Chained is thematically interesting and very atmospheric, although as shown the mechanics are fairly wonky - when the character got stuck I had to use a dev cheat to move him to the cursor, and couldn't make the puzzle with the pipe work properly and had to cheat past it.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Dracula's hangnail.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play “R.I.P.D. The Game”

R.I.P.D. The Game was a third-person arena shooter released on PC/Xbox 360/PS3, and nobody played it. Like, nobody cared at all. As with most things that are taken for granted, it also vanished without a trace, and most of its legacy is either incredibly poor gameplay footage or scathingly negative critical reception. Even I was starting to wonder if the game was worth my time.

Was it?

Oh yes, absolutely. It may not blow anyone away, but it's solid. The shooting feels good, there's decent weapon variety, and it has at least a couple interesting mechanics to justify its existence. Really, at absolute worst it's “Okay”. It's certainly not the train-wreck everyone made it out to be, and as a fan of arcadey TPSes, I enjoyed it a lot.

How's this LP going to work?

The game has a somewhat unusual progression system, but all you need to know for the purpose of the LP is that we'll be playing each stage and I'll be slowly upgrading and changing weapons as we go. You should get to see a wide variety of challenges, enemy types, and strategies this way. It's not a deep game, but I think I can do a pretty good job getting across its nuances and solid shooting.

So, let's shoot some Deados. And uh.. you can spoil things if you want, I guess? I'd really just recommend watching the movie if you're interested in the concept.

Videos

Meth Lab

The Vault

Terrace Bar

Beacon Station

Public Library

Bullpen

End

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 2, 2019

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Sonic Adventure 2

Dark Story

It's time for the villains to take center stage for once. They are also suckers for Chao.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The Vault

this time we discuss the various enemy types

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Terrace Bar

Some hot takes about the film in this one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Terrace Bar

Some hot takes about the film in this one.

I had to google it just to make sure but yeah, RIPD came out pre-Deadpool back when Ryan Reynolds’ career was in the toilet after Green Lantern. Jeff Bridges, meanwhile, had/has enough accumulated clout from being a great actor that he can get away with starring in whatever the hell crap he wants to because he doesn’t care, he just like acting period.

Still baffled as to how this movie warranted a video game though :confused:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I had to google it just to make sure but yeah, RIPD came out pre-Deadpool back when Ryan Reynolds’ career was in the toilet after Green Lantern. Jeff Bridges, meanwhile, had/has enough accumulated clout from being a great actor that he can get away with starring in whatever the hell crap he wants to because he doesn’t care, he just like acting period.

After just watching the movie myself this evening, probably because there is a lot of neat Deado design - they are very distinctive monsters, like this one guy who has hte back of his torso be the same as the front, including an extra pair of arms, so he clambers in a very fluid, interesting way.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

It was anticipated that the film would do much better at the box office than it actually did, so having a 10 dollar down-loadable title would've been a good idea under normal circumstances. That's from a business standpoint.

If you're asking from a creative standpoint, I'll second Bioenchanted's opinion, and add that there's an inherent appeal in playing as unusual police forces of any kind. Still waiting on a good MIB game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It was anticipated that the film would do much better at the box office than it actually did, so having a 10 dollar down-loadable title would've been a good idea under normal circumstances. That's from a business standpoint.

If you're asking from a creative standpoint, I'll second Bioenchanted's opinion, and add that there's an inherent appeal in playing as unusual police forces of any kind. Still waiting on a good MIB game.

I think you’re gonna have to wait a while longer, especially with MIB: International coming out this year. Like, it took about 10 years to get Alien: Isolation after Alien: Resurrection basically killed the Alien franchise (to say nothing of Colonial Marines and Prometheus), so maybe MIB might get the same treatment at some point. You’re right though, it’s a premise and a world rife for a great and wacky action game, it’s just there’s no will or interest to make one at the moment it seems.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Police force? Deals with the supernatural? FEAR????

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The AvP arcade game, the original AvP, and Alien Infestation all ruled and were prior to Isolation.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Last two Castlevania II videos, covering Dracula's ring and Dracula's Dracula.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Actually, now that I think about it, the closest thing I’ve seen to a Men In Black game that at least plays things mildly close to that premise... was Saints Row IV.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Did SR4 let you bicycle kick ghosts?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Deltarune

It's the part with the idiots becoming friends and a duck. It's a delight. :allears:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Sonic Adventure 2

Still can't tell if it's meant to be sarcastic or not.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Almost the worst Castlevania.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Party Bug posted:

Almost the worst Castlevania.

I appreciate your taste in thumbnails. I've been meaning to say that for a while, but I always get distracted.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Beacon Station

Grenade launchers and stairs mix very well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Beacon Station

Grenade launchers and stairs mix very well.

If you want to bounce shotgun shells try rubber bullets :v:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Deltarune

There was no good place to split this section, so here's the hour-long entirety of the palace section. Luckily this game is all :swoon:
Next week is the final part, the epilogue du dialogue.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Public Library

Turbo: Stunt Squad was okay

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Sonic Adventure 2

Some guys only have one thing on their mind.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ThornBrain posted:

Sonic Adventure 2

Some guys only have one thing on their mind.

That thumbnail and episode title are great together. Kind of jealous I never thought of "Maria Mentality". It's the kind of thing that just sounds nice. Like an anime episode delving into the deep psychological consequences of obsession. Euphony at work.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Bullpen

I can feel Nick's suffering.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

To be fair, Nick's very recently deceased. He's just having trouble letting go.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

End

We'll miss you, Kevin Bacon.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT

Just kidding this is the worst Castlevania.

I appreciate your taste in thumbnails. I've been meaning to say that for a while, but I always get distracted.
I do my best!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

End

We'll miss you, Kevin Bacon.

The only real walkthrough necessary of RIPD is to remain flexible, as it is an arena shooter. Or in other words: "RELAX BODY!"

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

The only real walkthrough necessary of RIPD is to remain flexible, as it is an arena shooter. Or in other words: "RELAX BODY!"

I may be the only person who will ever smile at this post.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also my Headcanon is that some of the mentioned lost artifacts are Setekhi's soulcages from Strange Brigade. Setekhi is a Deado.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Deltarune

This hour-long romp around the town concludes this playthrough of Chapter 1. I will certainly return to this when the full game is out; it's already a respectable companion to Undertale, so I hope the whole thing stands up strongly next to it. I've already got a lot to think about...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Mother: Cognitive Dissonance
What
This is an Earthbound fangame, but unlike say, Hallow's End, Cognitive Dissonance is not a ROMhack of Earthbound, but is instead made entirely in RPGMaker2003. The game sets itself immediately after Mother 1, as in the first thing you see is Giegue's spaceship microphone cruising through the Solar System. The game's RPGMaker base has both upsides, like no inventory tetris, and downsides, no rolling HP, it's RPGMaker. Initially, the game was released several years ago, around 2008, but has since had a more recent, around 2014, 2.0 release with improved artwork, new music, more areas, more enemies, and a new ending, of which the game has several. Getting all of the endings is mostly painless with a bit of setup so I'll be showing all of them off when the time comes.
Why
So, I know this is the "effort is anathema" thread, but hear me out! I really like this game and I think it deserves a fair showing. Also, after finishing it, I may have gone slightly insane enjoyed my time and thought I'd make something for people who don't have RPGMaker2k3 to rip the game open themselves. So, I made a spreadsheet with as much as I could fit inside in the vein of the Brave New World hack for FF6. As I said, this isn't my first playthrough and my co-commentator in crime Goodguy3 has also seen it, but we'll make sure not to spoil things before they happen and instead be giant dorks entertaining our fellow unwashed masses with what passes for wit on the Internet. I'll be using/testing my spreadsheet to see how useful it is as I play so that I can find mostly all of the things as we go. I'll also be playing the game's hard mode so, if you like a light dose of human suffering then maybe this will be your thing? The game isn't overly difficult, but I haven't played this on hard mode so maybe I'll get blindsided!
When
I'll be streaming this every Sunday at 11ish AM PST over at https://www.twitch.tv/ardryn for those that want to see these done live and afterwards, I'll be chopping the stream into 20-40 minute chunks to be uploaded to YouTube with the links posted here. I'll probably be posting the videos twice or so a week.
I guess I may as well mention that I have the final stream session of the first playthrough on my youtube channel. Obviously, it loving spoils everything so maybe don't watch it if you care about the story, or do if you don't I'm not your dad.
:siren:Due to the very nature of the game, bridging the gap between Mother 1 and Earthbound, it will be impossible to avoid spoiling either game to a large extent. So, Goodguy and I are going to just outright discuss both games and compare Cognitive Dissonance to both as the game proceeds, and attempts, to explain what happened between Giegue flying off in his microphone and the War Against Giygas.:siren: We'll keep the Mother 3 spoilers to a minimum however.
If no one has guessed by now, this is my first LP adjacent project so, if anyone has some constructive critique I am all ears.

Here's an hour to start things off, I'll be keeping to just one half-hour video per post from now on, unless the people desire otherwise.

Ardryn fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 9, 2019