Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is the Arch chests contents set at game start or based on two later acquisition rolls (one for the tome, one for the unrand)? It'd be neat if your morgue showed what was in the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Is the Arch chests contents set at game start or based on two later acquisition rolls (one for the tome, one for the unrand)? It'd be neat if your morgue showed what was in the box.

Yeah the crate is populated as part of new game setup actually. If you have your own build you can run debug or wizmode or whatever and it tells you the name of the unrandart.

Edit: saw tastylemon had devastator on a FDAc and got them to go Wu Jian:
pre:
You repeatedly attack the cyan ugly thing from above.
 You hit the cyan ugly thing. The cyan ugly thing shudders.
 The cyan ugly thing is moderately wounded. x2
 The cyan ugly thing is heavily wounded. x2
 The cyan ugly thing is almost dead. x2
 The cyan ugly thing is almost dead. x2
All those x2 are because every hit fired off devastator.... :psyboom:

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 18, 2019

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Araganzar posted:

Edit: saw tastylemon had devastator on a FDAc and got them to go Wu Jian:

Hubris killed me against a relatively easy mob, as is usually the story of my deaths.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
after splatting a couple Demonspawn Archaeologists i've got one with the twin quickblades

they're not great against heavy armor, but they shred low armor

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Would it theoretically be possible to steal hellcrawl's darts? Blowguns are just dumb busywork to actually use anyways.

They're literally just blowgun needles but you throw them directly instead of using a blowgun.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 18, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
he also has claws (and talons lol) so if i really feel like i have a killiness-deficit i might be able to transition to unarmed

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do hellcrawl darts work

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
uc is kinda hard to splash into, you gotta go real hard on it from as early on as possible in my opinion

better to just find an elec short blade for most high ac opponents

imo some species should just skill into longblades instead and rely on crosstraining for stabs lmao

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

So I've started poking at this in gooncrawl form after a long time of not playing, is int still king for anyone who casts at all, and what's a good god for a hybrid skald?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Tollymain posted:

how do hellcrawl darts work

iirc, they just got rid of blowguns as a launcher and you just throw needles as darts instead

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

Crabawaru roars: ANNIHILATED!
Somethin' appears at yer feet!!!
Crabawaru grants ye armour!!!
_Yer Hexes skill increases ta level 4!!!
An animal skin {god gift}!
Okawaru is trying his hardest, now and forever.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Blessed uncle Oki and his attic full of knick-knacks. No matter how boring and staid Okawaru may be, he's always number one in my heart.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Gorelab posted:

So I've started poking at this in gooncrawl form after a long time of not playing, is int still king for anyone who casts at all, and what's a good god for a hybrid skald?

No point in INT unless you are casting targeted spells (hexes, conjuration). Buffs are up permanently so you can get spec weapon to 50-60% and then get it up and you can swap in wiz to do it. STR is still king for hybrids due to armor penalties.

Okawaru if you are primarily melee, Ashenzari if you want to do conjurations. Uskayaw and Wu Jian are quite good for melee if you want something different.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

someone awful. posted:

iirc, they just got rid of blowguns as a launcher and you just throw needles as darts instead
Last thing I remember, you could just do that anyway. Did trunk get rid of that functionality at some point.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gorelab posted:

Cheibriados if you want to be a really good looking corpse

Kikubaaqudgha is pretty good too

Gozag is the best god though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, so I've done Abyss and Pan, and I still have Hell and then Tomb to do.

Here's my dump: https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Arivia/Arivia.txt

I don't have a lot of experience with Hell or Tomb, does anyone have any tips for working through them? Any recommendations in general, for gear I should change, or for skill recommendations? I still don't have rMsl castable, but I'll work on that soon. I've been using the demon trident more than the sling, I didn't want to run out of bullets without Oka backing me up. Oka wrath seems to be done.

e: Oh, and shield selection. Gong has been getting me mobbed a bit, I hopped out of Abyss and switched to the Warlock's Mirror and that helped. But going back to Gong for Pan wasn't bad, honestly.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Arivia posted:

Okay, so I've done Abyss and Pan, and I still have Hell and then Tomb to do.

Here's my dump: https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Arivia/Arivia.txt

I don't have a lot of experience with Hell or Tomb, does anyone have any tips for working through them? Any recommendations in general, for gear I should change, or for skill recommendations? I still don't have rMsl castable, but I'll work on that soon. I've been using the demon trident more than the sling, I didn't want to run out of bullets without Oka backing me up. Oka wrath seems to be done.

e: Oh, and shield selection. Gong has been getting me mobbed a bit, I hopped out of Abyss and switched to the Warlock's Mirror and that helped. But going back to Gong for Pan wasn't bad, honestly.

You've got some sick gear right now and resists look good.

Hell is just smash and grab and the trick is to rapidly get through the first floors ASAP until you hit the bottom and then you really have to be careful as I do not typically endorse doing smash and grabs on the final floors if you don't have to. It sucks but I highly recommend clearing the floor or at least the area around the Hell lords before tangling with them to avoid you getting gangbanged by a sneaky sentinel or fiend. Gehenna is the easiest in my opinion. Coctyus is the next easiest EXCEPT for the final level and how wide open it is and the amount of bullshit you go through with the deep water and total lack of hiding places. Dis is a pound for pound slog but you've got lots of corners. Tart I think is the toughest for everyone but especially casters. In general with hell just do not be a tough guy and be prepared to bail if the random effects suddenly drop a fresh order of poo poo-sandwiches on your doorstep.

Tomb is just another giant slog and if you stairdance and just accept that the Gong is going to cause everyone in the level to look at you you'll be fine. The 50% torment shrugging will help tremendously with the amount of bullshit death curses you'll be subject to.

Your character still looks like a tough guy though so unless you're greedy/stupid you'll be okay.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 18, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So I got Chain Lightning, Tornado, and Fire Storm from Vehumet with no air or fire so I went ahead and got Tornado and Chain Lightning.

I've cast Tornado 3 times and all 3 times the main thing that happened was it brought a bunch of crap into melee range that took me below 20 hits.

I don't have other good spells and my resists suck because here are the shops I've gotten through Vaults:
pre:
 a - [Vaults:4] Vadurgh's Antique Armour Boutique
 b - [Vaults:3] Maw Emmo's Food Shoppe
 c - [Vaults:2] Viehucw's Weapon Emporium
 d - [Vaults:1] Meiriwif's Weapon Emporium
 e - [D:10] Dogubbai's Antique Weapon Shop
 f - [Orc:2] Bixtotep's Antique Armour Emporium
 g - [Orc:2] Mofaimae's Antique Weapon Shoppe
 h - [Orc:2] Ohoel's Assorted Antiques
 i - [Orc:2] Qygihic's Antique Armour Shoppe
9 total shops, 6 antique, 2 weapon, 1 food. :negative:

I guess I will pick up Fire Storm instead but I don't remember Tornado being this bad. Maybe I only used it on high EV or high defense characters.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Tornado is really good if you're not a squishy pure blaster caster, it's also extremely mana efficient.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, Tornado really shines at supplementing your damage output, but isn't really the best for burst damage if you're a pure caster. It is so, so good for hybrids.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Tornado is a melee character's answer to zigg.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Jon Joe posted:

Tornado is a melee character's answer to zigg.

Yeah that's where I've used it along with Darkness, by that time I would have high EV and lich or statue form. I never used it when it's primary draw was sucking a red very ugly thing from across the room to where it can whack me and take down my Ozo's armor. Chain Lighting remains outstanding at all times though.

Zigs seem like they would be harder since before you could cast buffs and have them up for each level without having to reserve MP. However, Singularity is also outstanding in zigs.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Hubris is about to strike again. I got nightstalker and thin skeletal structure on a demonspawn archaeologist. My box revealed a spriggan's knife.

EDIT: You see here the +2 pair of boots of the Assassin {Detection Stab+ Stlth++}.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 19, 2019

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Well I guess this FoEn is going to become a blaster caster now, what even the heck is this robe.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gorelab posted:

(Un)popular opinion says best hybrid god is Ashenzari since she boosts all your skills. Though it might instead be said that hybrids are the best build for Ash.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Einwand posted:

Well I guess this FoEn is going to become a blaster caster now, what even the heck is this robe.

gently caress, you found the Robe of Fortune.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Now that LRD can't destroy walls or statues, how are you supposed to get this item in the Elephant Lair vault?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I think wands of digging can still break statues.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
My Lava Orc archaeologist just got Firestarter :flame:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Speaking of the shaft discussion from earlier, I'm playing on trunk on CBRO and there are an absolute shitload of shafts. I've had 1 or 2 every game I've played tonight, and I haven't made it past Lair in any of them. Did they change shafts recently or am I just paranoid?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Speaking of the shaft discussion from earlier, I'm playing on trunk on CBRO and there are an absolute shitload of shafts. I've had 1 or 2 every game I've played tonight, and I haven't made it past Lair in any of them. Did they change shafts recently or am I just paranoid?
Traps are an RNG roll now, rather than being put on the map. It's as stupid as it sounds.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

Now that LRD can't destroy walls or statues, how are you supposed to get this item in the Elephant Lair vault?

There are trees next to the statue. Trees can be taken out by fireball or bolt of fire. Lamp of Fire and Conjure Flame won't work because you can't target the tree.

Both trees and statues can be taken out by dig, disintegrate, corruption, LRD, or shatter:
pre:
    if (what != nullptr) // Terrain explodes.
    {
        if (you.see_cell(target))
            mprf("The %s shatters!", what);
        if (should_destroy_wall)
            destroy_wall(target);
    }
should_destroy_wall is returned by the LRD function and is based on spellpower and the wall type, so it functions same as it always has in Gooncrawl at least.

Are shafts an RNG roll in GoonCrawl? I still see plenty of code for placing them on a new map and having monsters avoid them. The code for generating items and maps is drat near impenetrable to my non-C brain.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nah, they haven't been imported over yet and likely never will. It's a bad implementation.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hell yes, got my first 15-runer:

Scariest moment was popping lignify on the Tomb:3 stairs and realizing I couldn't keep up with the other poo poo coming my way despite torment immunity. Had to drink cancellation, rush upstairs, then take on like 4 mummy priests with no buffs. Makhleb regen saw me through thankfully. I think Khufu on Tomb:3 came with a ton of greater mummies to make it more difficult.

Trapdoor tomb or whatever they have on Trunk now must be terrifying. It was enough of a pain with working stairs to stairdance on, let alone one-ways.

e: thanks to everyone for the advice, you made this happen!

Arivia fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 19, 2019

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hooplah posted:

Cheibriados if you want to be a really good looking corpse

Kikubaaqudgha is pretty good too

Gozag is the best god though

Pakellas is the god of gods, the artificer and tinkerer

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Victory Position posted:

Pakellas is the god of gods, the artificer and tinkerer

gently caress, I didn't even realize Pakellas was in gooncrawl

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
He's not, sadly.

Although I'm not really sure how he'd work now that there aren't any rods except the lightning one.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Which do I use? My gut says the broad axe, since, resists or no, Vampiric lets me get away with some Stupid poo poo. Found a cool artifact buckler, using the broad axe.

Haifisch posted:

He's not, sadly.

Although I'm not really sure how he'd work now that there aren't any rods except the lightning one.
There's been talk of just making him The Evocables God, which would actually be a pretty cool niche. They recharge faster, he gives you evokable and wand gifts like Oka gives you weapon/ammo gifts, etc.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 19, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Haifisch posted:

He's not, sadly.

Pakellas: the original god that was just too fun to ever be allowed to exist in Crawl.

He'd be rather incompatible with Djinns, too, but I suppose you could just put a racial limit on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

He'd be rather incompatible with Djinns, too, but I suppose you could just put a racial limit on that.
Hell, the Good gods reject undead followers just for flavor reasons, a mechanical one would actually be a nice change of pace.