Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

raminasi posted:

just got confirmation yesterday that two of the three people on the team i'd been interim leading had been making more money than me, one by like 50%

sad to leave those people but i do not miss that company one bit. last day was yesterday, mexico vacation starts tomorrow, :yotj:

lol thats like the team i just left!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ratbert90 posted:

And when you confronted them about it what did they say? :allears: Congrats on the :yotj: btw!

i didn't, i found out about this at post-quitting beers with the now ex-team

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I found out that some of my less senior less tenure co-workers were getting paid 40% more than me at my old job too after I handed in notice. After they found out how much I was getting chiselled, they weren't surprised that I was leaving either.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

raminasi posted:

just got confirmation yesterday that two of the three people on the team i'd been interim leading had been making more money than me, one by like 50%

sad to leave those people but i do not miss that company one bit. last day was yesterday, mexico vacation starts tomorrow, :yotj:

congrats!

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

ProSlayer posted:

Cross-posting from the Oldies thread:

I've been lucky enough to receive offers from Indeed and Wayfair. I was hoping to hear other people's feedback on comparing them, especially from those who have worked at these two companies or lived in Austin/Boston.

Background on myself: 4 YoE as a full stack developer + CSE undergrad. In a weird situation where I decided to go full time to business school (graduating in May) but preferred SWE to PM, so looking to return to a SWE role.

Offer from Indeed (Austin, TX): Technical Business Analyst (80% coding), TC: $97k: $85k base + up to 15% bonus.

Offer from Wayfair (Boston, MA): SWE2, TC: $160k: $125k base + $7k relo + RSUs

What is important to me:
- Living w/o roommates
- Short commute (15 minutes <)

I was leaning towards Indeed since CoL is cheaper in that area versus Wayfair. It looks like I'd have to pay around $1.3k in Austin for an apartment versus $2.6k in Boston. On the other hand, the Wayfair position is closer to what I would want to be doing career wise. I've read the horror stories about Wayfair, but the team I'm isn't customer-facing, so I don't think I'd need to deal with it. Even if I did, I feel like I've grown accustomed to working in companies with terrible engineering practices with my previous experience.

Any advice?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I see this line of thinking a lot and don't really understand it.

So your apartment would be $1300 more in Boston than Austin. That's $1300 x 12 = $15600 a year, say $25,000 pre-tax. So you're basically going to be giving up $50K a year in compensation to get a cheaper apartment? Most stuff is going to cost similar amounts between Boston and Austin.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
idk 50k to get to live in Austin instead of Boston seems fair to me

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

ProSlayer posted:

Cross-posting from the Oldies thread:

I've been lucky enough to receive offers from Indeed and Wayfair. I was hoping to hear other people's feedback on comparing them, especially from those who have worked at these two companies or lived in Austin/Boston.

Background on myself: 4 YoE as a full stack developer + CSE undergrad. In a weird situation where I decided to go full time to business school (graduating in May) but preferred SWE to PM, so looking to return to a SWE role.

Offer from Indeed (Austin, TX): Technical Business Analyst (80% coding), TC: $97k: $85k base + up to 15% bonus.

Offer from Wayfair (Boston, MA): SWE2, TC: $160k: $125k base + $7k relo + RSUs

What is important to me:
- Living w/o roommates
- Short commute (15 minutes <)

I was leaning towards Indeed since CoL is cheaper in that area versus Wayfair. It looks like I'd have to pay around $1.3k in Austin for an apartment versus $2.6k in Boston. On the other hand, the Wayfair position is closer to what I would want to be doing career wise. I've read the horror stories about Wayfair, but the team I'm isn't customer-facing, so I don't think I'd need to deal with it. Even if I did, I feel like I've grown accustomed to working in companies with terrible engineering practices with my previous experience.

Any advice?

wayfair is right next to the back bay commuter rail station if you want to get there from the burbs.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

wayfair is right next to the back bay commuter rail station if you want to get there from the burbs.

or roslindale, I suppose

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Fiedler posted:

idk 50k to get to live in Austin instead of Boston seems fair to me

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Got conditional terms sent to me. Offer is 130k and 15k lump sum relocation. I make 86k in NJ. Am I being crazy in thinking that this may not be enough money to move cross country to Santa Monica?

At least I got given a number first.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
15k is plenty of money for a cross country move

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i mean i wouldnt move to santa monica for anything less than like 350 but thats because santa monica sounds terrible to me

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
santa monica is actually great. get a godmother sandwich at bay cities deli, ride your bike along the beach, enjoy life

also nobody is paying you 350 in LA for computer touching except maybe google

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

15k is plenty of money for a cross country move

i'm talking the salary. A comparable place to live seems to be 2k more in Santa Monica that's like 30k gone from salary right there.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
then ask for more

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i made less when i worked in LA and lived in westwood just fine. it's expensive but it's not the bay area. but here's a big big pro: it's not new jersey

plus once you break into the six figgie club it's easier to move up from there

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

Am I being crazy in thinking that this may not be enough money to move cross country to Santa Monica?

yeah you’re being a bit silly. the things that matter for col in California are rent, childcare, taxes, and car insurance. 44k will almost certainly cover that and then some

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Got an offer coming in next week. It's a big pay raise, and the job sounds easier than what I'm doing now, but it's working for a large vendor so I'll be working on a narrower range of projects. I'm a bit nervous about what vendor work looks like on a resume; thoughts?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You don't actually have to live in Santa Monica to work there OP.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

grumble. was supposed to hear back on hiring committee decision at a FAANG and 20’mins before the recruiter moves it to Monday.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ratbert90 posted:

You don't actually have to live in Santa Monica to work there OP.
counterpoint: commuting any distance in LA is a portal straight to hell dimension

if youre going to commute make sure sure your job lets you work from home at least twice a week

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

FMguru posted:

counterpoint: commuting any distance in LA is a portal straight to hell dimension

if youre going to commute make sure sure your job lets you work from home at least twice a week

counter counter point: Always be working remote in a cheap state for a company in an expensive state.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

yotj update: turns out finding a remote gig after leaving two jobs in as many years is tougher than just walking into the open-office and saying "hire me, binch" :smith:

Talking to a place founded by some German microkernel folks who are working on theorem-proved hypervisors tho, so fingers crossed I get to dereference a pointer again soon

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Presented without comment

http://www.pamelasproducts.com/products/fig-cookies-bars/figgies-jammies/

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

"If you can't find figgies near you, print out this thread and bring it in to y" mods new thread title

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

p dece 4 figgies

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

thread title: Can-We-Buy-Figgies.pdf

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

i'm talking the salary. A comparable place to live seems to be 2k more in Santa Monica that's like 30k gone from salary right there.

weather improvements make it worth the deal

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

doing very important offboarding today and downloading all my fav slack emojis

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Just had someone call me with the intention of making an offer but was asking what number I wanted. Are you supposed to give a number at this point? They hadn't emailed me anything yet and I really just wanted to see their initial offer so I just said I wasn't sure. I don't know if they were happy about that but they said they'd be sending me an offer in the next few days.

The thing is I have an onsite at a FAANG next week so I don't want to exactly commit or burn a bridge if that doesn't pan out...

I hate interviews.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That was for sure a ploy to get you to name a number lower than they were going to offer.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Acer Pilot posted:

Just had someone call me with the intention of making an offer but was asking what number I wanted. Are you supposed to give a number at this point? They hadn't emailed me anything yet and I really just wanted to see their initial offer so I just said I wasn't sure. I don't know if they were happy about that but they said they'd be sending me an offer in the next few days.

The thing is I have an onsite at a FAANG next week so I don't want to exactly commit or burn a bridge if that doesn't pan out...

I hate interviews.

the advice is "never say a number first"

so: never say a number first

you did good

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

you can say a number first if you know what you're doing and have a very good idea of what your market / skill intersection is looking like. put more simply: if you have to ask, you shouldn't be offering a number

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Rex-Goliath posted:

you can say a number first if you know what you're doing and have a very good idea of what your market / skill intersection is looking like. put more simply: if you have to ask, you shouldn't be offering a number

However, even if you do know the number they still need to pay a 10-15% “applicant made to mention a number first” tax so as to incent proper behavior in the future.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Now an HR person there wants to call me to talk about the offer. I highly suspect they're going to ask for a number again. What are some good deflections?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Acer Pilot posted:

Now an HR person there wants to call me to talk about the offer. I highly suspect they're going to ask for a number again. What are some good deflections?

I expect a competitive market rate

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Just tell them to make their best offer and you will consider it.

But what number would you accept?
"I don't disclose that before receiving an offer."

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

To be honest, if you're at the offer stage, this would seem like the best time to state a number if any. At this point you should know everything you need to know about the job to estimate an appropriate compensation. Just state a large number, not a hilariously large number, but still something you think they'll say no to, say that's it's a target and not a demand, and then negotiate.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

knowing what you want/can get and asking for it > not saying anything > not knowing what you want/can get and saying something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Or if you just have no idea of your own worth and what that company is likely to pay (rookie error no.1), then sure just keep stonewalling. But IMO there's nothing wrong with being forthcoming at this stage if you know they want you and not someone else.