Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

You can open .pages with an iCloud account and download a copy in word format

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202227

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Honey Im Homme posted:

You can open .pages with an iCloud account and download a copy in word format

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202227

quote:

Convert a Pages document in Pages for iCloud

1. Sign in to iCloud.com with your Apple ID.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Thanks Ants posted:

Protip - Office documents are just zip files

And a lot of unzip programs don’t respect the password flag on a .docx. At least that used to work?

:laugh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ponzicar posted:

Anyone who installs cloud2butt or something similar on a work computer is playing Russian roulette with their dignity.

I remember a recipe on SeriousEats.com that asked me to toast some rice until it became "butty."

It has since been edited.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

spankmeister posted:

docx et al being zip files is fun and all but did y'all know that the legacy .doc format is almost like a FAT filesystem?

IIRC they were effectively just OLE objects saved to a file, at least in the '97-03 variant.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

wolrah posted:

IIRC they were effectively just OLE objects saved to a file, at least in the '97-03 variant.

Yeah, the format is specifically called an OLE Compound Document.

And I've also done way too much hacking/attempted rescue of XLSX files with unzip and a text editor. Such as when someone somehow manages to make one million rows of explicit formatting data that causes editing in Excel to feel like molasses.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kyrosiris posted:

I actually told one once that I did not give my resume out in an editable format due to another recruiting agency editing my resume without my consent/adding erroneous information to it.

The guy on the other end of the phone got all quiet and was like "well, actually, that's why we need it as a word doc...". At least he was an honest sleazeball.
This explains so much :stare:.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

ponzicar posted:

Anyone who installs cloud2butt or something similar on a work computer is playing Russian roulette with their dignity.

my website had a c2b'd resume for years, until someone kindly pointed it out to me

boy, was my face red!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So I am part of an outsourced helldesk. Some clients pay our company $$$ for us to be their exclusive helldesk, others we're only the after-hours team. This means that every client's systems and what permissions and software we have to do administrative tasks vary from firm to firm.

So I'm having to teach myself SCCM by trying to figure out why this poor lady's Acrobat Pro install has been stuck at "Downloading (0%)" in Software Center since yesterday afternoon. I think it's at least in part because the documentation we had said to put the user in $collection, but you can't do that. You can only put devices in $collection. So now I have to try to get back on her system to force a policy retrieval and she's not at her desk to hit the "allow" button. And on top of it, work other tickets because they don't stop coming.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You can also unzip password protected excel documents and remove the password from them by editing the xml of the protected sheet and deleting the specific line of code saying this is a password protected sheet lol

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

mattfl posted:

You can also unzip password protected excel documents and remove the password from them by editing the xml of the protected sheet and deleting the specific line of code saying this is a password protected sheet lol

That's amazing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mattfl posted:

Tell me it actually says "password"

Also, is the plaintext password actually embedded in the XML file?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

GreenNight posted:

That's amazing.

Proteus Jones posted:

Tell me it actually says "password"

Also, is the plaintext password actually embedded in the XML file?

Edit the xml file of the sheet and look for the coding

<sheetProtection password=… />

Remove that, save the file, add it back into the zip and rename it back to xlsx and bam, password gone :)

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
Does this work on current Office doc versions?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sarern posted:

Does this work on current Office doc versions?

Yeah. I just did a quick test in our Office365 environment.

Created workbook
Entered some data
Protected the sheet with a password
Renamed Zip
Opened zip and found XML file
Removed
<sheetProtection algorithmName="SHA-512" hashValue="8x2afpRADv1W+XmIQewlEKxovNdCPiMq6bkAkb3eu7ZSqo1NF5ydjBXAamv99u9OCpZmMb9dJsPJnyGoNjiIig==" saltValue="+mUqBAK5BNomCKo0MMPGvg==" spinCount="100000" sheet="1" objects="1" scenarios="1"/>
From file
Added xml file back into zip
Renamed zip to xlsx
Was able to edit sheet without any password prompt.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Well, at least they're not saving plaintext passwords in the file. :eng99:

On the plus side: this knowledge let me regain access to some files I'd lost the password to.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
when docx get stuck in our mail filter you can expand it in the console and see all the files within, didn't know you could 7zip them though

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

mattfl posted:

That little trick made me a rockstar at my current job when I learned that someone who quit their job just before I started, messed up a couple of excel sheets used by Development & Production and password protected them as a parting gift.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

this stuff is only sheet and not book protection right?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

this stuff is only sheet and not book protection right?
It'll work with Sheet, Workbook & VBA protection. It won't work if the file is encrypted.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Geemer posted:

Well, at least they're not saving plaintext passwords in the file. :eng99:

Anymore! :eng101:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:stonklol:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

taiyoko posted:

So I am part of an outsourced helldesk. Some clients pay our company $$$ for us to be their exclusive helldesk, others we're only the after-hours team. This means that every client's systems and what permissions and software we have to do administrative tasks vary from firm to firm.

So I'm having to teach myself SCCM by trying to figure out why this poor lady's Acrobat Pro install has been stuck at "Downloading (0%)" in Software Center since yesterday afternoon. I think it's at least in part because the documentation we had said to put the user in $collection, but you can't do that. You can only put devices in $collection. So now I have to try to get back on her system to force a policy retrieval and she's not at her desk to hit the "allow" button. And on top of it, work other tickets because they don't stop coming.

Isn't there a way to trigger a policy update via PowerShell or other remote management (that isn't a remote desktop)?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

taiyoko posted:

I almost missed this. Check the status of the Distribution Point just to make sure it's not throwing a billion errors at you and is on (Monitoring > Distribution Status > Distribution Point Config Status). Assuming all is good there and reporting well, the next thing I would look at is the status of the deployment (Monitoring > Deployments > Search for the deployment of the package) and see what the status is. If it's stuck on "waiting for content" I would probably try and clear the SCCM cache on the machine, reboot, and try again.

nielsm posted:

Isn't there a way to trigger a policy update via PowerShell or other remote management (that isn't a remote desktop)?

I don't think there's a cmdlet that does this and you'd have to script it through WMI. Recast Right-click Tools definitely has an option for this though.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that from the SCCM console under Assets and Compliance you could right click on the device then "Client Notifications" --> "Download Computer Policy" to trigger a policy retrieval/update.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

mattfl posted:

Created workbook
Entered some data
Renamed Zip
Removed
<sheetProtection algorithmName="SHA-512" hashValue="8x2afpRADv1W+XmIQewlEKxovNdCPiMq6bkAkb3eu7ZSqo1NF5ydjBXAamv99u9OCpZmMb9dJsPJnyGoNjiIig==" saltValue="+mUqBAK5BNomCKo0MMPGvg==" spinCount="100000" sheet="1" objects="1" scenarios="1"/>
From file
Renamed zip to xlsx

Might there be a trick like this for removing password from a zip file?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nielsm posted:

Our SCCM environment sure as hell needs a "give me all the updates for this freshly imaged system RFN" button.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

mattfl posted:

Created workbook
Entered some data
Renamed Zip
Removed
From file
Renamed zip to xlsx

Working as intended.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Johnny Aztec posted:

You rename the zip to docx then open it in Word and type "NO PASSWORD" on the first line.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Hey buddy, I understand you've been having problems for 4 days but this ticket you put in is dated today and it's first come first serve.

I actually took care of it but that's because I saw the case after the phones closed while skimming through cases for stuff I can fix without the resident, buried in a bunch of other tickets all put in today.

Sometimes I wonder if people don't want to call in because they feel if it's a dumb issue or already being worked on we'll get mad or something but that's just me projecting since they then turn around and start bitching at our tier 1 that they've been down for days so it can't be anything like anxiety or shame

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I recently helped clean up after a phishing attack was successful and you'd be amazed how many users DID NOT click on the link or enter their credentials. Shame turns into rage to cover for the user pretty drat fast TBH.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Welp, looks like I'll be moving into an IT position from the 29th. :toot:?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

taiyoko posted:

when this happens with us the acro installs already exist in windows\ccmcache so you gotta track down the msi and mst in that dir to manually kick that off.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

No, the password protection on a ZIP file is just the mutual password of each of the files it contains, which are actually encrypted in AES-CBC. But you can open that container to list the files it contains and replace them without knowing that password. And I suppose if you actually have several smaller documents and you can start making guesses at what the data looks like based on file extensions, it may actually be cryptographically feasible to break that encryption outright. Not something I would spend time on, but maybe someone already published some rainbow tables.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eikre posted:

No, the password protection on a ZIP file is just the mutual password of each of the files it contains, which are actually encrypted in AES-CBC. But you can open that container to list the files it contains and replace them without knowing that password. And I suppose if you actually have several smaller documents and you can start making guesses at what the data looks like based on file extensions, it may actually be cryptographically feasible to break that encryption outright. Not something I would spend time on, but maybe someone already published some rainbow tables.

There's plenty of older ZIP files/zip programs that used much weaker password tech. But those are pretty rare to deal with these days.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Garrand posted:

Hey buddy, I understand you've been having problems for 4 days but this ticket you put in is dated today and it's first come first serve.

:argh: RARGH! Agrikk! We have been struggling with this issue for two months and we are very upset! Fix this now Now NOW!

:) Oh no! When did you first notify us about your issue?

:argh: this morning!

This crap happens all the time. You were grumpy about this for two months and we are just now hearing about this from you? Maybe engage with us as soon as you start your project. I could have one of the guys who wrote the service get on the phone and tell you how it works.

But no, you want to reinvent the wheel and work on your own and suffer in frustration for two months before contacting us because that is waaaaay more effective. :rolleyes:

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 20, 2019

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
"we've been having this issue for months! MONTHS!"

"Did you tell us?"

"No"

"No ticket, no problem!"

*doots*

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

"This has been broken for <timeframe>" with no ticket actually means:

"I've been using this as an excuse to not get work done and my supervisor finally said they're going to talk to IT to see what's taking so long so I'm putting in the ticket now to get it fixed quickly and cover my rear end"

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
"This is still a problem! It's been a problem for months! Why isn't there a fix?"
"I asked you for logs. Did you get the logs for me yet?"
"No, that's too much work!"/[total ghosting]/"But why can't you do it for me?"/"JUST FIX IT"

The best part? The source of the problem is too many security agents. My recommendation? Consolidate and use fewer. Security's recommendation? LOL gently caress HER HEY ALSO DEPLOY THIS NEW AV CLIENT KTHX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Eikre posted:

Yeah, locking an office document isn't encrypting it, it's just a weak read only flag.