Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject but I'm curious if a Gokaiger-esque Precure season could possibly work. At the very least it would be a nice way to check in on the previous girls post-series as even in the All Stars films the previous Cures feel more like guest stars rather than an equal part of the movie (though DX3, New Stage 1, and the Hugtto movie were a little better about this than most). I assume the plot would either involve time/dimensional travel, take place in the All Stars universe, or better yet just for this season they could age up some of the older Cures where appropriate.

Transforming into past Cures could work if you treated it like a form change (that is, keep the face the same but change the suit and maybe the hair). As a lot of the teams are kind of uneven in terms of numbers you could start things out with two members and a small handful of powers and then gradually build up to six by the end (gaining more Cure powers as they go). Also, maybe have said powers just be copies granted to the current team by that show's requisite collectables, they would then become more powerful/gain a new finisher after the team got approval from the genuine articles.To make her a bit more special, maybe they could also let the sixth member turn into Cure-like allies or Precure that weren't part of a team as well (such as one of the Kiryuu sisters, Regina, Cure Flower, Cure Echo, etc.)

Alternatively, you could ditch the transformation aspect entirely and just have the team/individual member gain a new attack reminiscent of a past team once they’ve proven themselves to that particular representative.

It’d be a lot easier to get actors back for this as opposed to a live action show at any rate but if I had to pick a single representative for each season (so far) I would probably go with:

Futari/Max Heart: Honoka (though Nagisa would be funnier)
Splash Star: Either one of them
Yes 5/GoGo: Nozomi, Urara, or Karen (comedy option: Bunbee)
Fresh: Love or Miki
HeartCatch: Yuri for thematic reasons but any of the four could work
Suite: Hibiki
Smile: Any of them (though if I had to choose probably Miyuki or Yayoi)
DokiDoki: Mana (though Regina could also work in this case)
Happiness Charge: Hime or Iona
Go Princess: Haruka (though pretty much any of them could work except maybe Towa)
Maho Girls: Riko
KiraKira: Ichika or Akira
Hugtto: Hana, Homare or Emiru
Star Twinkle: Hikaru

And of course the All Stars movie for this would be canon.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In Star Twinkle news it appears our mystery girl from the opening finally has a name. The first OST for the series has been released and contains a track called “The Universal Phantom Thief, Blue Cat”.

Based on scans that have been floating around it’s likely she’s going to become our mid season addition Cure Cosmo:

As such I’ll be curious to see what her deal is (I’m assuming a third party also on the hunt for the Princess Pens that winds up getting mixed up in the current conflict).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 19, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

In Star Twinkle news it appears our mystery girl from the opening finally has a name. The first OST for the series has been released and contains a track called “The Universal Phantom Thief, Blue Cat”.

Based on scans that have been floating around it’s likely she’s going to become our mid season addition Cure Cosmo:

As such I’ll be curious to see what her deal is (I’m assuming a third party also on the hunt for the Princess Pens that winds up getting mixed up in the current conflict).

She keeps showing up with the Notraiders, so I'd guess she's a merc that goes rogue. What I'm interested in is which of the Raiders flips - Kappard seems like the obvious one (cool/pathetic dude with vaguely honourable fighting style and heavily-hinted tragic backstory), but while Tenjo and Iwan are sadistic jerks, they're treated lightly enough by the show that I can see them finding some kind of goodness within themselves a few eps down the line (maybe after Bakenyan screws them all over, because we all know he's going to screw them all over).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It seems like it would be kind of redundant to do the whole "reformed villain becomes a Cure" trope twice in a row but seeing as the mid season addition typically has a stronger connection to the villains/central conflict than the main team that's probably going to be the case (either that or she's just a thief who's after the pens for her own reasons and has no connection with either side at first). Her being a Phantom Thief catgirl explains the top hat and shades at least (and she's likely an alien as well, though probably not from the same race/planet as Lala).

I agree that Bakenyan is obviously hiding something and will likely stab his teammates/boss in the back at some point down the line (and probably kick the Precure's asses for a bit before something comes along to bail them out). If any NotRaider is switching sides it's probably Kappard like you said (he actually seems to have a sense of honor to him and prefers to fight his own battles while the other two generally rely on grunts/monsters to do their dirty work), Tenjo and Iwan seem like assholes through and through right now but that could change later on. We also haven't really seen what Garogre can do just yet.

Off the subject, but continuing my Suite rewatch it's kind of funny that there's absolutely no fanfare involved in choosing Siren's human name. Hibiki just suddenly calls her Ellen randomly and that's it (nobody even questions it). Also I kind of wish Muse's Masked form had stuck around, she looked cool like that and we need more Black Cures in this franchise.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 19, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They could always have the Phantom Thief working against both the cures and the notraiders as more of a third party as well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They could always have the Phantom Thief working against both the cures and the notraiders as more of a third party as well

That would be an interesting angle actually (and something I don't think has really been done in this franchise before), even more so if she actually continues on as a separate agent even after inevitably gaining Cure powers (typically either helping the girls or screwing them over depending on her whim).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 19, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Actually when Siren initially introduced herself to Hibiki in episode 1, she called herself Ellen before dropping the act.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actually when Siren initially introduced herself to Hibiki in episode 1, she called herself Ellen before dropping the act.

Ah right, forgot about that. That explains it then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also somewhat related I've noticed that Extra Cures (or Cure like allies) in this franchise tend to fall into 4 main categories:

Fairies in Human Form: Milk, Coupe, Siren, Candy, Haa, Kirarin, Pikario (though he only transformed and fought once when he was a good guy), Pekorin

Human: Itsuki, Yuri (though technically she's the first Cure to appear in that series), Kaoruko, Ayumi, Mirage, Yuko, Iona, Maria, every other random Cure in HaCha (and technically speaking Megumi was the last one to receive Cure Powers in that season), Lumiere, Hugtan (technically), Emiru, Henri, the entire town in the Hugtto finale

Humans from Another Dimension/Kingdom: Setsuna, Ako, Towa

Neither Fairy nor (fully) Human: Hikari, the Kiryuu sisters, Dark Precure (though she was an antagonist to the very end), Aguri, Regina, Mofurun (technically), Lulu, Blue Cat/Whatever her real name winds up being

And there are also a few core members that fall into the above categories as well:

Humans from Another Dimension/Kingdom: Makoto, Hime, Riko

Neither Fairy nor Human: Lala

Human: Everyone else

Note that when I say Extra, I'm referring to a member that joins up at least a few episodes after the starting team does (though Yuko just barely qualifies in that regard) or is not an official part of the group. Itsuki was technically the last person to obtain Cure powers in HeartCatch (and she has a different weapon than the rest) and while Yuri and Iona technically predate the starting team, they both have their own unique transformation devices and powers that kind of make them stand out from the rest.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 20, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Twinkle 12: Moviemaking! An alien who's clearly imitating the blockbuster directors like Lucas and Spielberg offers to disguise the Precure's activities as "movie magic", but they have to shoot a movie with him first. It's a rather stock episode plot but an entertaining one none the less.

Next Week: Lala goes to school

Also, Toei should just bite the bullet and make a full fledged Ninja themed Precure season one day, there's several instances throughout the franchise where one or more of the girls dresses up as one for whatever reason after all.

Time Travel might also be a neat idea (technically Hugtto had some of that but I mean more make it the basis of the whole show, it would probably make more sense to do it as part of an anniversary year but it could work either way) as could Dinosaurs and/or Nature/Animals (though Splash Star technically did the former and the KiraKira team were all animal based even if the main focus was cooking). Yeah, dinosaurs aren’t traditionally a “girl thing” but neither is space to be fair.

I'd also kind of like to see a series with multiple villain factions as Sentai’s done it a few times but I don’t think Precure really has. Maybe even have them competing against each other while one of the generals manipulates the situation to his or her own ends ala Bladerun from Goseiger.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Bakenyan is for sure not entirely on the Notraiders side. This latest episode had him look worried when the generals were upgraded and he looked relieved when the Notrigger was defeated.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Bakenyan is for sure not entirely on the Notraiders side. This latest episode had him look worried when the generals were upgraded and he looked relieved when the Notrigger was defeated.

Maybe he'll wind up being the secret final boss like was the case with Close in Go Princess (either that or switch over to the side of the Precure at some point).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 21, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Maybe he'll wind up being the secret final boss like was the case with Close in Go Princess (either that or switch over to the side of the Precure at some point).

He's already mused about how gathering the Star Pens is the path to ultimate power for whoever does it, and that 'sorry, I think my power level would imbalance the fusion' line can easily be read as a discreet insult to Aiwan and the others. He's either the true final boss or someone who's going to make a serious bid at being the true final boss (depending on how badass Darknest turns out to be).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, they’re definitely setting something up with him, the only question is how long until they pull the trigger on it.

So far Darknest just seems like your generic Demon Lord but I’m curious if there’s more to him then that. The fact that he seemed to awaken in response to Hikaru’s power specifically is particularly intriguing. We’ve already got a team powered by IMAGINATION so I’m wondering if we’re going to get a ToQ#1/Zed situation as well (Hikaru does have a missing dad who was also interested in space, just saying).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 21, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
See it's interesting because I took the "It would be an imbalance of power" as "I'm weaker than the others so I'd hold them back" but it could absolutely be interpreted the other way people in this thread have taken it, and I think I'm on board with that interpretation.

Garogre is still really cool and reminds me of an 80s super robot villain so I hope they do more with him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Actually I just had another thought regarding him. Considering the cat/bakeneko theme of Bakenyan, what if he's actually on Blue Cat/Cure Cosmo's (the girl from the OP) side and is basically a spy in the NotRaiders ranks (especially since both seem to want to collect/use the pens)?

A three way race for the remaining Star Pens could be interesting at any rate.

Speaking of whom (spoilered as the character hasn't officially shown up yet), it might be neat if Blue Cat didn’t join the team immediately after gaining Cure powers and instead continued to work as a free agent, gradually warming up to the girls over time (maybe even have her swipe a few Star Pens for herself in the process to create some extra tension among the group). As Pinks typically do, Hikaru would of course be constantly trying to reach out to her even if the others disagreed.

Considering she’s called the Universal Phantom Thief one would assume she would have her own ship and as such wouldn’t have to rely on Lala like the others.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 21, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Subs are out for episode 12. Lala gets her last name Hagaromo this week and (unless I forgot something) we get a bit of a first for this series, the Precure defeat a Nottrigger but do not recover a pen in the process.

I assume the writers are trying to avoid another Smile situation where both sides accomplished their goals too early in the show and as such they had to reset everything. Therefore the hunt for the Star Pens is probably going to slow down a bit from here on (especially since we've got a new player entering the picture before long that's presumably also after them).

Speaking of which, I’m still hoping the princesses get to be actual characters later on instead of just McGuffins (they bothered giving them unique actresses and personalities after all, might as well get some use out of them).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 22, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

The alien director's name made me smile.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject I’ve been continuing to work my way through the Futari dub. It’s kind of a pity this group didn’t do more with the franchise as aside from westernizing a few (but not all, I think at least one of Nagisa’s classmates retains her Japanese name for some reason, the fairies and villains are more or less untouched as well) names and some cultural references it’s almost entirely uncut. The voice acting isn’t too bad either and there seems to be a lot of Dragon Ball and/or Gundam alumni among the cast (Nagisa’s actress has apparently only been in two other things in her whole career though, which is a shame because I kind of like her performance here), which makes sense seeing as this group was (or became) a part of Ocean Group.

In fact if there’s one criticism I could make it’s that they don’t translate enough, all signs and text are left as they were in the Japanese version. This can create weird instances like how in one episode they rename Honoka’s science fair project yet at the end the machine still reads “YURIKO 1” in English. It’s a minor gripe though as the show is still a far better effort than what I’ve seen of either Glitter Force adaptation and probably worth checking out if anyone hasn’t already.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I loved Toei's low key dunk on JJ Abrams yes

Also yes Toei we love

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice to see them admit it at least (the line between Magical Girl anime and toku is barely existent as it is, Precure just takes it a step further than most).

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Another PreCure newbie question- Is there usually this much of a difference between PreCure transformation scenes?

I feel like Star's is fine if the least elaborate, then Soleil and Selene are both a bit better and good, and then Milky's just shits all over the other three with like constant movement and effects and cute faces and whatnot.

Maybe one of the animation directors is playing favorites?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not particularly from what I remember, Milky’s just seems a bit flashier than most for some reason.

Also upon closer observation I think Star’s “element” is supposed to be gravity. A lot of her attacks seem to involve slamming enemies down with great force.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 23, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It would make sense for her element to be gravity, given stars are the center of solar systems due to their gravitational pull and all.

Cat Butler was very visibly upset when Lord Darknest gave the three generals power ups and it zoomed in on him when he reacted so it's definitely meant to be an important plot point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Bakenyan is definitely going to be important in some fashion. At the moment I’m still guessing either surprise final boss or a spy working for/with our upcoming Phantom Thief girl.

Off the subject, but out of curiosity did Regina show up during the big in-series Hugtto crossover from a while back? I know a few faces we don’t see that often popped up such as the Kiryuu sisters (in their “Cure” forms no less), Royal Candy, Cure Mofurun and Cure Echo but I don’t remember if there were any more besides the main groups.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 23, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Bakenyan is definitely going to be important in some fashion. At the moment I’m still guessing either surprise final boss or a spy working for our upcoming Phantom Thief girl.

Off the subject, but out of curiosity did Regina show up during the big in-series Hugtto crossover from a while back? I know a few faces we don’t see that often popped up such as the Kiryuu sisters (in their “Cure” forms no less), Royal Candy, Cure Mofurun and Cure Echo but I don’t remember if there were any more besides the main groups.

He could be the phantom thief girl's evil boss, looking to steal Darknest and the Star Princesses' power for himself. That would fit quite well with everything we know about him so far.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

He could be the phantom thief girl's evil boss, looking to steal Darknest and the Star Princesses' power for himself. That would fit quite well with everything we know about him so far.

True, and we still don’t really know anything about this “Blue Cat” right now anyway (she appears in the opening either just before or right after the NotRaiders, her name comes from a track off the recently released Star Twinkle OST, and she is almost definitely going to be our fifth Cure, that’s all we’ve got so far). She’s also apparently an alien cat girl so it would make sense for her and Bakenyan to have some sort of connection.

Though the appearance of a second organization also after the Star Pens would be interesting and something I don’t think has ever really been done before in this franchise (Maho Girls is about the closest thing I can think of but both of them weren’t active at the same time).

Like I’ve said before, it could be interesting if Blue Cat doesn’t join the team immediately after gaining Cure powers and instead remains a separate agent for a while, helping or hindering the Precure as necessary (maybe even have her swipe a few pens for her own use). She would of course warm up to them a bit as the season goes on, maybe initially deciding she needs them to achieve her goal and eventually accepting them as friends.

Just saying that if you’re going to make your extra hero a thief then it might be good to toss a few shades of gray into the mix. No matter how they spin it we're probably due for a major shakeup in this series before long.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 23, 2019

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
He could also be the Norman to her Roger Smith. That could be fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Another PreCure newbie question- Is there usually this much of a difference between PreCure transformation scenes?

I feel like Star's is fine if the least elaborate, then Soleil and Selene are both a bit better and good, and then Milky's just shits all over the other three with like constant movement and effects and cute faces and whatnot.

Maybe one of the animation directors is playing favorites?
Sometimes the transformation sequences are all handled by the same animators, sometimes each one gets different staff. In the latter case, there's obviously going to be some difference in quality, just because different people produce different results.

Plus animation staff tend to play favorites anyway. In Go Princess you could super easily tell that the staff loved Kirara, and in Hugtto the obvious staff favorites were Emiru and Ruru. Anime is a medium where things are fairly rushed and there's still some amount of individual personality to what each animator produces, so if they have a character they like more they're gonna make sure they make a cute face or something, and so long as they aren't going too far off the storyboards it's not like anyone's gonna criticize them for putting more effort in than they had to.

This season the favorite definitely seems to be Lala, she's consistently the most expressive.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nanoha Detonation BD is coming out in June and has English subs so we can watch Nanoha use a power up that 100% won't cause her issues down the road at all honest

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some new magazine scans have come out recently that provide a bit more info on Blue Cat. Apparently her real name is Mao and she's an alien Idol singer who uses what looks like a Princess Perfume to transform. Barring any cameos prior to that she's currently set to make her official debut in episode 15.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 28, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A clearer shot of Mao/Blue Cat (the blue haired girl from the OP is apparently just a transformation of hers, her true form is on the right):

Unless we're getting a girl with a double transformation, I assume Cure Cosmo will replace Blue Cat when Mao inevitably becomes a Precure. Another interesting note is that if you look closely at the picture on the left you'll see she's holding a Dark Pen.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 28, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Twinkle 13: "New character transfers to a regular Japanese middle school" is about the most stock Precure plot you can get. Whether the protagonist or otherwise, it's the one storyline that's been in every single season. And now it's Lala's turn. Her aliennness is put into question as she realizes her odd speaking habits may not be winning her any friends, but it turns out they have. The episode also shows that the generals can do new things with the power they were granted. In Kappard's case, a giant skateboard that he uses to attack the team.

It was a fun episode, if a bit on the boilerplate side. Next week introduces us more in depth to Elena's family. I'm looking forward to that one.

Off the subject but out of curiosity, was there some kind of early script change in Fresh? In the first episode when Love transforms she appears to be completely possessed by the magic, moving and fighting like a pro and acting way more serious than usual (she even comments on this upon returning to normal).

However, this is immediately dropped and never mentioned again, nor do any of the other girls go through a similar experience during their first outing. Any idea as to why? The concept of the girls and the Cures being essentially separate entities that happen to share a body is an interesting angle and I’d kind of like to see it brought back and actually explored a bit in a future season.

There have been minor things like that over the years (like the roll call/catchphrase being an automatic part of the transformation that the girls just say without thinking) but this is the only time I've seen a Cure suddenly become a completely different person after the suit comes on for the first time.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Fresh actually changed directors around episode 16 even though it still has a credit for Shimizu for the whole series (Zako starter around episode 16) which is why the early episode feel very different from when the EAS plot really kicks into full blast

Super amused that in Star Twinkle 13 we had Lala given the nickname Lun-chan

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Goddamn Suite Precure got real good all of a sudden. Just got up through episode 36 so now I know everything such as Mephisto's deal, who Otokichi is, and Cure Muse's true identity revealed. Everything is explained! Well...kind of.

Maybe I'm being nitpicky but they didn't really explain why Ako looked to be the same age as the other girls when she was Cure Muse. I know that I'm probably just supposed to accept "It's magic we don't have to explain poo poo" but it would've been nice if that had been addressed since just wearing different clothes wouldn't really cause her to be two feet taller.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think it’s implied that Ako was wearing stilts while in Masked form, not entirely sure how she managed to be so acrobatic like that though.

If you’re interested in checking out more old Precure after this I would highly recommend Go! Princess as it’s one of my Top 3 seasons in between HeartCatch and Splash Star (plus like HeartCatch it’s seems to be pretty well regarded among the fanbase as a whole).

Fresh and DokiDoki are also fairly solid seasons (though the former is a bit disjointed at first and doesn’t really seem to find its footing until the directorial change starting in episode 16). Also watch the Suite movie at some point, it’s good and kind of pseudo-canon in a sense (though a plot point from it is repeated almost verbatim in episode 37).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 29, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Twelve by Pies posted:

Goddamn Suite Precure got real good all of a sudden. Just got up through episode 36 so now I know everything such as Mephisto's deal, who Otokichi is, and Cure Muse's true identity revealed. Everything is explained! Well...kind of.

Maybe I'm being nitpicky but they didn't really explain why Ako looked to be the same age as the other girls when she was Cure Muse. I know that I'm probably just supposed to accept "It's magic we don't have to explain poo poo" but it would've been nice if that had been addressed since just wearing different clothes wouldn't really cause her to be two feet taller.

She wore platform boots. Seriously there is even an image of her holding them later on.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I still think Cure Muse was probably going to be like Cure Moonlight before the Earthquake caused them to change things due to the productionm

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m fairly certain Muse was always supposed to be Ako as there are a few subtle hints dropped here and there (hell, Noise is technically foreshadowed as early as the first episode).

Not entirely sure who else it could have been unless they decided to pull a Cure Ace type situation where she ended up being a character we’d never heard of before.

That said, I do sort of wish that Masked Muse had stuck around a bit longer as we need more black Cures in this franchise. So far we’ve only got Cure Black (who is officially a Pink), Dark Precure (who was an antagonist from beginning to end), Cure Tender (sort of, her outfit was mostly just a bigger version of Fortune’s), and Regina (not a Cure per se but still technically a member of DokiDoki given the show’s epilogue).

Some more Whites would be nice as well (there have been one-offs like Echo, Lumiere, and Tomorrow but the last main one was Rhythm) as well as Greens (though besides Mint and March apparently Felice, Parfait, and Milky also count according to Toei).

I believe Sunshine and Moonlight were actually referred to as Gold and Silver respectfully in HeartCatch (which is also the color they call out during their respective Forte attack) even though officially they’re Yellow and Purple.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah she was definitely foreshadowed way earlier since I went in knowing her identity from the start, so things like her dodging Souta's water gun at the beach were very obvious foreshadowing. So at the very least they were going for that since before episode 20.