Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

It's all but impossible to not have heard of AM2R. Nintendo made a very big deal of publicly sending a Cease & Desist to the guy making it just after he had finished work on it. "Coincidentally" later that same year, Nintendo published Metroid: Samus Returns... their own remake of Metroid 2. AM2R is still out there, though. You can't download it from any one place anymore, however. If you want it, you have to track down a torrent for it.

However, a new dev team has taken over. They reverse engineered the source code from the last public release and have been maintaining it. The last major release they put out was back in June of 2018, and they're hard at work on more changes.

About The LP

This is a 100% run, done on Normal difficulty. 100%, in this case, means all power-ups and upgrades. Yes, including the ones that require shinespark buffoonery.

The videos will all be around 10ish minutes, and will be put out twice a week.

Spoilers?!

Metroid 2 came out in 1992. It's 2019 right now. The game is 27 years old, which is probably older than some of you reading this. The statute of limitations on spoilers for this game were up a long, long time ago. So while you can talk about whatever, please try not to be That Guy who comes in to talk about the final boss while we're still in Area 1.

Videos

#01 - Surface
#02 - Golden Temple
#03 - Golden Breeding Grounds
#04 - The Hydro Station with DocHospital
#05 - Spring Guardian with DocHospital
#06 - Hydro Breeding Grounds with DocHospital
#07 - Jump Guardian with Yapping Eevee
#08 - Industrial Plant with Yapping Eevee
#09 - Industrial Breeding Ground with Yapping Eevee
#10 - Mining Facility with Yapping Eevee
#11 - Weapons Tester with FPzero
#12 - The Tower with FPzero
#13 - Thermal Plant with FPzero
#14 - Distribution Center with FPzero
#15 - Golden Temple Redux with FPzero
#16 - Ice Guardian with FPzero
#17 - Distribution Center Roundup with FPzero
#18 - Lower SR388 with Yapping Eevee
#19 - Omega Metroid with Yapping Eevee
#20 - Metroid Nest with Yapping Eevee
#21 - GFS Thoth with DocHospital
#22 - Queen Metroid with DocHospital

Link to Playlist

In case you're interested, here's all three ending screens:

>4 Hours
2-4 Hours
<2 Hours

These and all other AM2R art stuff were drawn by Zim Kahn

Here's how to find her stuff:

Facebook
DeviantArt
Instagram

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cool, I had no idea other people picked it up after the original dev got the C&D. Can you point out what changes they made compared to the original version of AM2R?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Cool, I had no idea other people picked it up after the original dev got the C&D. Can you point out what changes they made compared to the original version of AM2R?

A lot of it is simple number tweaks and bugfixes. They've also added New Game+ and Randomizer modes that unlock once you've beaten the game for the first time. I've played a lot of the rando mode the past couple weeks. :v:

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

DoubleNegative posted:

A lot of it is simple number tweaks and bugfixes. They've also added New Game+ and Randomizer modes that unlock once you've beaten the game for the first time. I've played a lot of the rando mode the past couple weeks. :v:

The structure of Metroid 2 doesn't seem like the best thing for a proper rando, given the metroid gating.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Roluth posted:

The structure of Metroid 2 doesn't seem like the best thing for a proper rando, given the metroid gating.

Rando mode and New Game+ both remove the barriers between the five major areas, allowing you to reach almost anywhere you can wall jump to. If you want to progress to the Omega Zone and the endgame, you have to kill all the earlier Metroids.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUJK7OPWyYY

In today's update we find a frankly staggering amount of upgrades. AM2R starts as it means to go on - by giving you lots of firepower.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
It's nice to constantly get a stream of handy little upgrades, even if it is only five more missiles or something. Creates a steady sense of accomplishment and progress.

Also the game's quite good-looking for a sidescroller.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Could you increase the volume of everything? I need to turn my speakers up to double their usual level to be able to hear you comfortably, and I can still barely hear any game audio at that level.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Game audio is intentionally lowered, but yeah, gimme a few hours and I can adjust volume levels and reupload.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I was going to say something similar, honestly. I love this game and will be happy to watch more of it (and, incidentally, I didn't know it was still being worked on, so thanks for informing me of that! The last version I played was 1.1), but the music is really good and for whatever reason I find it pretty hard to watch without being able to hear it.

If you're muting everything deliberately and have a reason for it, that's obviously your prerogative and I won't tell you not to, but if you're open to constructive criticism on this I'd suggest you try adjusting the levels a bit.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

That took longer than I thought it would. I do all my editing with headphones, and everything sounded fine when I did my final checks while wearing them. When I plugged my speakers in, everything sounded fine on my final exports as well. But as soon as I checked youtube, the quiet but still audible background music was entirely gone, and my voice was basically a whisper. I don't know what the upload process is doing, but I sure as hell don't like it.

So I re-edited the first video by performing some magic with Audacity. The upshot is that everything should now be louder... both the game audio and myself. Here's the first video. I'll repost the second once I finish re-editing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsgRLhm_YNE&feature=youtu.be

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Thank you! It's definitely much easier to hear.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwgLAr9Qrs

And here's the second video re-uploaded and hot off the presses. So fresh, in fact, that youtube hasn't finished HD processing yet.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

That's a big improvement :thumbsup:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-G_O0Qthyc

A short video today, but action packed nonetheless! We tackle the game's first boss.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Because yesterday's was so short, here's a double feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0XEod9DYg8

We make the trek into Area 2 and start the local power-up roundup.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

FYI, in the room you enter at 3:30, you say there's a thing you can't get right now. You actually can, although it's pretty tricky (and I wouldn't blame you for preferring to come back later). The trick is that crumble blocks don't react to Spider Ball, so you can cling to the ledge and then use bomb jumps to move from block to block as long as you cling to it when you land. This is enough to get all the way to the missile tank at the top of the room. I can't claim to have figured that out myself, I'm pretty sure I saw it in someone else's run at some point.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Explopyro posted:

FYI, in the room you enter at 3:30, you say there's a thing you can't get right now. You actually can, although it's pretty tricky (and I wouldn't blame you for preferring to come back later). I can't claim to have figured that out myself, I'm pretty sure I saw it in someone else's run at some point.

The next time I play, I'm totally gonna try that. It sounds like a fun bit of challenging platforming.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAC8ye04sNI

Spoiling this thread with yet another update for this week. We continue exploring the Hydro Station and get some very useful upgrades. Also in this video and the next one, I kept accidentally saying "Screw Attack" when I meant "Space Jump."

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Wow, that spring ball boss looked... bad.
I'd heard this game added bosses or changed them into something iffy, but oof.

Also, that dude is the only non-metroid bossfight in all of Metroid II on Game Boy.
Those weird fly things were in the original Game Boy game as well, where they didn't do much besides being sinking platforms that could get you stuck in sand that you had to shoot your way out of as they sank into it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-_jli3gGJI

Today we encounter our first Gamma Metroid

Geemer posted:

Wow, that spring ball boss looked... bad.
I'd heard this game added bosses or changed them into something iffy, but oof.

Also, that dude is the only non-metroid bossfight in all of Metroid II on Game Boy.
Those weird fly things were in the original Game Boy game as well, where they didn't do much besides being sinking platforms that could get you stuck in sand that you had to shoot your way out of as they sank into it.

Wait, that's what those are supposed to be?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Wait, that's what those are supposed to be?

I think so? They look like 'em, at least. I found them on the Metroid wiki: https://metroid.fandom.com/wiki/Septogg

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O72g434ue8

Today Samus enters the Industrial Zone and faces down its boss. Also she learns to spin around and around and around.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMdo1K7oGU8

Today Samus ventures deep into the Industrial Zone and gets highly explosive ordnance.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDJyTStyfBM

The largest and final breeding grounds awaits

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm enjoying this LP, there's just not too much to discuss about it. Worth noting the fireflies are attracted by your item attractor charge.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 20, 2019

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Yeah, same here.

My experiences with Metroid 2 are limited to playing it as a child and never finishing it, and trying AM2R a year or two ago and finding my reflexes have slowed too much to get anywhere (:smith:). So I'm glad to see what I wouldn't be able to get to on my own!

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
So long as we're doing metroid hacks, this thread convinced me to get A2MR, which I promptly beat. I've gone on to Super Metroid Redesigned, and would encourage you to do the same.

Because I'm a bastard. That's why.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

GodspeedSphere posted:

So long as we're doing metroid hacks, this thread convinced me to get A2MR, which I promptly beat. I've gone on to Super Metroid Redesigned, and would encourage you to do the same.

The Axeil edition isn't thaaaaaat hard.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

GodspeedSphere posted:

I... wouldn't call AM2R a metroid hack. It isn't a hack of an existing Nintendo metroid game, it's completely built from scratch, which is very impressive in itself.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

WilliamAnderson posted:

The Axeil edition isn't thaaaaaat hard.

I just did THAT Norfair section in Redesign. I liked the challenge until that point. I slowed the game down to 25% and save stated nonstop and still only survived with 2 health left. Is there anything in between A2MR and Redesign in difficulty that's worth reccomending? A2MR got me in the mood for more metroid, but redesign is purely masochistic.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

GodspeedSphere posted:

I just did THAT Norfair section in Redesign. I liked the challenge until that point. I slowed the game down to 25% and save stated nonstop and still only survived with 2 health left. Is there anything in between A2MR and Redesign in difficulty that's worth reccomending? A2MR got me in the mood for more metroid, but redesign is purely masochistic.

Have you tried Super Metroid Rotation?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

WilliamAnderson posted:

Have you tried Super Metroid Rotation?

I keep seeing it recommended but wall jumping is literally the skill I'm worst at and rotation doesn't look like it'll be fun that way. Thoughts?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

GodspeedSphere posted:

I keep seeing it recommended but wall jumping is literally the skill I'm worst at and rotation doesn't look like it'll be fun that way. Thoughts?

I can't imagine there being fan games that you'll enjoy then. Wall jumping is like, bread and butter for them.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Yeah, fan games love them some wall jumping. It's probably the easiest to pull off in AM2R because the window for it is so generous compared to any other Metroid game out there. But if it's something you don't enjoy, then fan hacks definitely aren't the place to go.

On the other hand, if you want to get better at it, then allow me to continue beating the "AM2R Randomizer is actually really fun" drum. You can't get more than 2 rooms into Area 1 without learning how to do between two and six consecutive wall jumps. So you quickly learn how to do them reliably.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

From what I can tell it looks comparable to the wall-jumping in Zero Mission. In fact AM2R's engine looks like a clone of Zero Mission's with only a few exceptions. And in ZM you could do some really fancy things with wall-jumping if you wanted to, like skipping so many powerups that you could collect a secret ending for 15% or less.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0bt9j_imas

Today's video cris-crosses the middle of the map several times. Samus also gets around to doing one of the other things she was hired for besides killing metroids.

Also I had a really bad head cold when we recorded this video. So please excuse the (moreso than usual) nasal voice.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_w3DxjCjG8

Today starts a new area! This is Area 4, the Tower. It's also home to a pretty neat boss that's guarding a powerful beam weapon.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

To hook onto what FP said in the video, my big problem with Samus Returns is that your beam weapons are just for show. Every loving enemy needs to be hit with the melee counter to stop them from being insane bullet sponges.

The 360° aiming is actually really great and should definitely be included in future games, but the melee counter gimmick feels like the game was designed around it instead of being just a part of the arsenal you have.
And because of everything being geared towards the melee counter, you can't have any enemy behaviors that aren't counterable, so you end up with a dearth of variety in behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW4-Vr5blzI

There's 6 metroids in the area around The Tower, including 3 new Zeta Metroids, and we're gonna kill them all today. Also for related reasons, this video could be subtitled "DoubleNegative saves 5 times in 12 minutes".

Seriously. gently caress Zetas. The first two fights in this video are a great "here's what you shouldn't do" primer.