Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Wicaeed posted:

God help me, our company keeps deciding to go with this all-flash storage vendor named Kaminario.

I'd never heard of them before I started at this company, and I'm starting to wonder if some VP somewhere has money invested in them.

I never thought I'd miss an HPE product, but I swear to god all of our problems with pinpointing what is causing the slowness on these arrays would be instantly solved by having Infosight :(

Well, Infosight is relatively new to HPE, being a Nimble product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Kaminario has been around for a while. They’re still a little niche, but it’s not bad stuff. Very fast, relatively simple.

Are you working with their stuff currently?

I am going to be migrating off some Nimble stuff now that HPE forcing us to dump the older Supermicro hardware. I assume Pure is going to be our best option, but am going to look EMC Unity as well.

Moey fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 17, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wouldn't wish EMC gear on my worst enemies.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I don't mind EMC, but yeah Nimble is far better.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

EMC Unity is fantastic. You should not judge it by prior VNX experience. Whole new system. Pricing is pretty good too.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

If you're going to look at Unity, wait until the Dell EMC world or whatever the upcoming show is coming in a few weeks. Unity is due for a refresh in hardware

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Digital_Jesus posted:

EMC Unity is fantastic. You should not judge it by prior VNX experience. Whole new system. Pricing is pretty good too.

Lol, that's what they said about VNX. That experience and their awful support was enough to sour me on them permanently.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Having never worked with EMC arrays, what are the pain points?

I am really just looking for some all flash storage block iSCSI storage. I would like to keep the Veeam SAN snapshot based backups that Nimble offers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

NetApp EF-Series is pretty cheap and works with Veeam

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Didn't see the EF series on Veeam's compatibility sheet. https://www.veeam.com/backup-from-storage-snapshots.html

I'll probably reach out and get some NetApp pricing too. Is the EF series block storage? Or still NAS? I have never kept up with their offerings.

Edit: Looks like FAS and AFF are the NAS style lines, and E-Series and SolidFire are just block storage.

Moey fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 17, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4471.pdf

E-series is just block storage, it's the result of the Engenio acquisition I think

Edit: I think I might have misread your initial post and thought you were talking about direct SAN backups.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 17, 2019

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Moey posted:

Having never worked with EMC arrays, what are the pain points?

I am really just looking for some all flash storage block iSCSI storage. I would like to keep the Veeam SAN snapshot based backups that Nimble offers.

As someone that worked with VNX/Clariion stuff, the old interfaces were atrocious and legitimately a pain in the rear end to use.

Unity has moved to all HTML5 management interfaces and they integrate well with vCenter. I have no complaints with them and, at least in my area, EMC support is top notch and I have never had an issue in my ~3 years or so of selling them.

They're also pretty drat cheap for a "small" all-flash array. Nimble pricing has routinely been 1.5-2x more for the same storage capacity.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
It's been about a year since the last "where to go for NAS that's not Isilon" discussion. Anyone got something cool they've seen recently?

We're looking for a single namespace in the PB range. Our app requires SMB/CIFS/NTFS-ACLS and writes billions of 16-32kb files. Tiering would be great as the data gets used hot and heavy at first but then cools rapidly. We've looked at Gluster but the red hat support team was an absolute joke when it came to supporting SMB. In 6 weeks they couldn't get it to support active directory. Scale out would be nice, but really just looking to manage large scale app target nas (limited client count).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Qumulo at a guess, product looks good but was too pricey for us.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Digital_Jesus posted:

Aight aight aight put your order book back in your pocket, satan

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Not sure why everyone is bitching about emc support.. I've had very few bad experiences, and they were in the olden days (clariion).
We've got vnx/unity/vmax/isilon/centera/data domain, support handle all our code upgrades and and hardware faults are rectified quickly..
Compared with other vendors like HP 3PAR (urrrgh) and VMware their support has been great.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what the gently caress happened to VMware and Dell support? did team merges really gently caress them up so badly?

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
I dunno, but we've had a VMware support case open for over a year with no end in sight. They just keep asking for logs over and over again. Our TAM has even been kicking them and it's still going nowhere.
Luckily it's just an annoyance and not causing us major issues.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KennyG posted:

It's been about a year since the last "where to go for NAS that's not Isilon" discussion. Anyone got something cool they've seen recently?

We're looking for a single namespace in the PB range. Our app requires SMB/CIFS/NTFS-ACLS and writes billions of 16-32kb files. Tiering would be great as the data gets used hot and heavy at first but then cools rapidly. We've looked at Gluster but the red hat support team was an absolute joke when it came to supporting SMB. In 6 weeks they couldn't get it to support active directory. Scale out would be nice, but really just looking to manage large scale app target nas (limited client count).

Cohesity, Qumulo, Cloudian, Vast Data

Also, on the subject of Unity, I’m not really sure what it’s selling point is supposed to be beyond “its EMC and they’ll give it away.” I’m sure it’s fine, but I’ve never met someone who worked with both Pure and Unity and preferred the Unity.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KennyG posted:

Our app requires SMB/CIFS/NTFS-ACLS and writes billions of 16-32kb files.
Are you looking for any kind of replication? Because that's going to be an absolute shitshow on any platform with these file counts.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KennyG posted:

We're looking for a single namespace in the PB range. Our app requires SMB/CIFS/NTFS-ACLS and writes billions of 16-32kb files.

You're basically the worst case scenario. If you can stripe those into megabyte or larger chunks your app and storage needs would simplify dramatically.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Vulture Culture posted:

Are you looking for any kind of replication? Because that's going to be an absolute shitshow on any platform with these file counts.

Transitioning off of our ZFS-based snapshot delta replication onto an enterprise replication has been an experience...

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

H110Hawk posted:

You're basically the worst case scenario. If you can stripe those into megabyte or larger chunks your app and storage needs would simplify dramatically.

Story of my life. As the app itself doesn't do that and we don't own the app, does anyone have any suggestions of a gateway/tool that would do that and not completely poo poo itself at this scale?

It seems like such an easy thing to do to take a SQL/noSQL database and store the NTFS ACL/Posix data (posix paths should be so loving easy to implement!), front it with some NVME/Cache on a small cluster of compute/cache nodes and bundle the data and store it on the back end in CEPH/Gluster/S3/Swift. If we were doing it in the Exabyte range at ludicrous scale I'd hire 25 devs and roll our own. However, hiring .1 devs isn't really feasible to get anything done. At this scale it seems just as ludicrous to run Gluster/XFS unsupported on Centos and pray for the best as it does to roll your own NAS gateway.

The closest we found to this in a commercial product is StrongLink (https://www.strongboxdata.com/stronglink) and to a lesser extent StarFish but neither of them really give you the confidence that they can handle the use case.

KennyG fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 23, 2019

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KennyG posted:

It seems like such an easy thing to do to take a SQL/noSQL database and store the NTFS ACL/Posix data (posix paths should be so loving easy to implement!), front it with some NVME/Cache on a small cluster of compute/cache nodes and bundle the data and store it on the back end in CEPH/Gluster/S3/Swift. If we were doing it in the Exabyte range at ludicrous scale I'd hire 25 devs and roll our own. However, hiring .1 devs isn't really feasible to get anything done. At this scale it seems just as ludicrous to run Gluster/XFS unsupported on Centos and pray for the best as it does to roll your own NAS gateway.

This is essentially what the newer commercial products in this space do. Cohesity uses a distributed NoSQL db for metadata and an extent store on the back end that just distributes data across nodes using replication factors or erasure coding.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Goodbye VNX5400! We are running the disk wipe and then it is getting yanked out of the production datacenter ASAP.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 23, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

CURSED. IMAGE.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

It burns

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Would high read/write latency (100,000 m/s) generally equate to physical connections issues?

There's no way the severs I have on the storage device is pumping out that much data.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
100,000 ms is 100 seconds.

Did someone trip over the network cables for your SAN, then plug them back in a minute and a half later?

What's the storage unit? Can you check your switch interface for statistics?

Some more details are needed, because something is seriously jacked up.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

lol internet. posted:

Would high read/write latency (100,000 m/s) generally equate to physical connections issues?
If it’s not the physical connection to your storage network you could have backplane/IO module issues on your enclosures or a failing drive that’s putting noise on the bus and so IO has to retry a whole lot before it successfully manages to talk above the chatter.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

In actually shocked whatever tool you're using will count that high. Are you bouncing that signal off the moon using radio?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
I think this is the right place to ask this: Is there a software that force-caches all the metadata on a SMB share on the server so I don't have to wait 2 minutes for the file server to iterate through a 40k files and puke up the list I need to run a powershell script against? I don't need it to cache the actual files, I just want dir to run fast as possible without needing to bump everything to flash.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I think this is the right place to ask this: Is there a software that force-caches all the metadata on a SMB share on the server so I don't have to wait 2 minutes for the file server to iterate through a 40k files and puke up the list I need to run a powershell script against? I don't need it to cache the actual files, I just want dir to run fast as possible without needing to bump everything to flash.

Why are you listing all files on the share to find the one you need?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Why are you listing all files on the share to find the one you need?

Because users are retarded, more or less. Also we have a folder with like 20k files in it we can't move or change, and trying to navigate it an exercise in tedium.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Because users are retarded, more or less. Also we have a folder with like 20k files in it we can't move or change, and trying to navigate it an exercise in tedium.

In my experience I've only ever seen issues with SMB when operating over WAN links with high latency like VSAT (1s minimum RTT). In these situations we deploy WAN optimisers which accelerate SMB by caching requests and files (Supports signing+sealing by doing MITM with an intermediate signing cert). This would probably work internally as well however it sounds like your SMB server is the bottleneck. Is it a NAS or just a Windows Server machine with shared folders configured?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, in my experience SMB 3 works a lot better than previous versions with higher latencies, but it's still not a WAN protocol.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Pile Of Garbage posted:

In my experience I've only ever seen issues with SMB when operating over WAN links with high latency like VSAT (1s minimum RTT). In these situations we deploy WAN optimisers which accelerate SMB by caching requests and files (Supports signing+sealing by doing MITM with an intermediate signing cert). This would probably work internally as well however it sounds like your SMB server is the bottleneck. Is it a NAS or just a Windows Server machine with shared folders configured?

Server 2012 reading huge piles of crap off a set of 10 HDDs over iSCSI. It's still local network, but if the folder metadata isn't in the cache, it takes a longass time for the files to show up completely.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Server 2012 reading huge piles of crap off a set of 10 HDDs over iSCSI. It's still local network, but if the folder metadata isn't in the cache, it takes a longass time for the files to show up completely.

Wait, so is the Server 2012 machine physical or virtual? And are the "10 HDDs over iSCSI" separate drive mounts from a single target or multiple targets?

Either way it sounds like you've outgrown your setup and should probably look into getting a dedicated NAS appliance that supports SMB. Not to endorse them or anything but at my last gig we had a NetApp NAS with SMB exports handling huge dumb file structures much bigger than yours without issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ontap had (still has?) an inode limit on shared volumes that you can raise but you need to be careful if you have a workload that creates billions of files.