Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Well my last run I got timestop running as an enchanter, and it was a little disappointing as far as level 9 spells go? It was certainly useful, and the ability to get multiple free actions to just walk away from pan lords on the ascent was good, but the fact it seems to only give distracted stabs meant there were multiple times I would use it against an OOF or an ancient lich and wind up with 0 stabs of any sort despite having 20 weapon skill and stealth skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
_You lunge at the death cob, but your attack speed is too slow for a blow to land.

Well, there's that interaction. The followup isn't as impressive. I guess I need to actually level maces and flails?

The helpless death cob fails to defend itself.
You flatten the death cob like a pancake!!!!!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Araganzar posted:

While we are on Charms, why is Haste level 9 in Gooncrawl where stacking wands of haste are a thing? It's not even a permabuff and there's a strong mechanic (glow) to prevent abuse. I can't imagine finding room in the xp budget to buy an L9 charm when the only stop on the charm train from 3 to 9 is Deflect Missile at level 6. By the time you can even think about casting this you have a wand of haste and you've found a billion recharge scrolls. Has anyone used this spell?
I think it's supposed to be a thematic thing, since each spell school has a L9 spell now(afaik).

Still kind of dumb since you're unlikely to get it online unless you're doing extended, and extended chars are likely to come across a hastewand at some point.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's almost like the easiest lever to balance the amount of haste a given character gets is adjusting the number of speed potions that drop, maybe if we removed the other sources of haste that either cost a ton of XP but are permanent or are very swingy we could think about that more clearly. :ssh:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
How about we don't?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

gooncrawl not being balanced is cool, actually

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Level 9 haste makes more sense in hellcrawl where it's a permabuff and the only non-potion source of it

Clearly the solution in gooncrawl is to buff haste so investing the xp can be worth it even if you have a wand

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

The permabuff version of haste should probably just not generate contamination nor disable the natural reduction of contamination if it's going to remain level 9.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Einwand posted:

The permabuff version of haste should probably just not generate contamination nor disable the natural reduction of contamination if it's going to remain level 9.

Yeah the advantage being that you can have it on without worrying about contamination from chain haste sounds right

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So it looks like I got this Faerie Dragon firmly off the ground. Do you think I have a shot at extended, or should I just take the easier win? How worried should I be about stat 0 at this point, and what can I do about it? Also, can anyone talk me out of eating those 8 purple chunks?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's almost like the easiest lever to balance the amount of haste a given character gets is adjusting the number of speed potions that drop, maybe if we removed the other sources of haste that either cost a ton of XP but are permanent or are very swingy we could think about that more clearly. :ssh:
If you want to play something hyper-tuned so only 3 people actually find it fun(in the sense that the difficulty is curated specifically for their playstyles and nobody else's), play Trunk.

Gooncrawl is great because it doesn't mindlessly take away tools because it's easier to 'balance' that way(and flat-out doesn't give a gently caress about balance when fun/flavor overrules it, like in returning Ogre M/F apt to +3 or in giving us the hilariously overpowered FD race).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Faerie Dragon will probably become just the minotaur of spellcasters instead of hilariously wildly more powerful than every other race once the planned changes to permabuffs at low spell success rate go through

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
FR: remove current downsides from haste but make repeated/continuous (permabuff) use eventually induce random Chei wrath, including newly added wrath where he fills the room with torpor snails

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chei the highway patrol

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Haifisch posted:

If you want to play something hyper-tuned so only 3 people actually find it fun(in the sense that the difficulty is curated specifically for their playstyles and nobody else's), play Trunk.

The newest such change: monsters can now use wands of iceblast, scattershot and clouds!

I'll add to the growing refrain of "Gooncrawl is better off with overpowered and fun stuff". It simply makes the game more enjoyable. I'd love to see the Haste changes Einwand suggested; it would be nice to really profit from spending the XP to cast a level 9 Charm, in the same way you get a huge power spike from things like Fire Storm or Glaciate. I'm still of the opinion that there needs to be a level 9 Poison spell, if only to ensure all schools have something at that tier.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Wait, they removed the monster restriction on cloud, scattershot and iceblast wands? The one that was put in in the first place because it was even more absurdly lethal than getting acid wand'd at low levels? What possible reason could they have for that beyond not having enough unavoidable deaths in the early game? :negative:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"D:1 is the most dangerous floor" has changed from an observation to a mandate, probably

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The Trunk devteam has just gone kind of completely stupid lately. Just as a reminder, they recently put traps back in the game and decided to do so by way of putting them on a per-step RNG based on the size of level. The smaller the level, the more often the traps trigger.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

What..what does that add

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cardiovorax posted:

The Trunk devteam has just gone kind of completely stupid lately. Just as a reminder, they recently put traps back in the game and decided to do so by way of putting them on a per-step RNG based on the size of level. The smaller the level, the more often the traps trigger.
Trunk has always been bad, but the last year or two have really proven it and finally galvanized us to do something about it. ("Us" being Floodkiller, the only reason we're not trapped in that hell.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Beamed posted:

What..what does that add
Pain, suffering, increasing pressure to only play crawl as a weird speedrun game since that's how most of the grognards on Tavern play it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Trunk has always been bad, but the last year or two have really proven it and finally galvanized us to do something about it. ("Us" being Floodkiller, the only reason we're not trapped in that hell.)
Believe me, I know. I didn't used to post because Crawl was too bad to actually play, but I've been following the threads on and off and it was really just sad to watch. You could see people get more disillusioned with every page.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Believe me, I know. I didn't used to post because Crawl was too bad to actually play, but I've been following the threads on and off and it was really just sad to watch. You could see people get more disillusioned with every page.
Except for Internet Kraken, who until very recently seemed to almost be digging in more and more stubbornly with every change.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

PMush Perfect posted:

As a lurker who plays off and on, I assume ‘trunk’ is regular old normal DCSS? Does gooncrawl integrate some of the good QOL features of regular? I do like that rations now just stack in regular DCSS, but I miss eating purple chunks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Jedi425 posted:

As a lurker who plays off and on, I assume ‘trunk’ is regular old normal DCSS? Does gooncrawl integrate some of the good QOL features of regular? I do like that rations now just stack in regular DCSS, but I miss eating purple chunks.
Yeah, it is. "Trunk" is what Git (a version control system for code) calls the 'main' distribution of something. Everything that isn't trunk is a fork, like in a metaphorical tree, so that's what Gooncrawl is.

And yeah, Floodkiller picks up the good ideas from Trunk every so often.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Cardiovorax posted:

I remember the time a trunk dev came to post here(dpeg iirc) and threw a huge shitfit because people would actually push back against his dumb ideas instead of kissing his rear end.

No surprise trunk's turned out like it did when its dev team is like that.

Jedi425 posted:

Trunk is regular dcss(specifically the unstable version where stuff can be changed, compared to the stable core releases). Gooncrawl does take the rare good ideas from trunk, like stacking rations. I think the "you get a spell library instead of having to haul books around" thing was originally from trunk too?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Dpeg is a former nethack dev so lol

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Playing this octopode is terrifying because I do an immense amount of damage but have zero survivability because I have picked up exclusively dogshit rings like "AC+1" or "dex+3" and I already have a rune

e: I think SKULL.GIF was a trunk dev too but his brain got broken by USpol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Haifisch posted:

I remember the time a trunk dev came to post here(dpeg iirc) and threw a huge shitfit because people would actually push back against his dumb ideas instead of kissing his rear end.
That one goon dev who wasn't poo poo ended up getting literally all of the backlash himself while he had to defend the dev team's stupid decisions. No wonder he left, everyone hated trunk so by extension they throw a hell of a lot of hate at him.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Jedi425 posted:

Purple chunks are definitely in Gooncrawl, as are QOL features like wand stacking and McDonaldization of rations. Not sure how FK manages to curate with some stuff we don't want in trunk like RNG traps, but I do see commits coming through from Trunk until Gooncrawl.

To be quite about 69% of dpeg's shitfit was well earned by goons doing what they do best and being the Worst.

I'm playing Wu Jian now and I'm not seeing my value in this locker:

I have Snakebite available (it's a real shame it's a normal whip and not a dwhip) as well as Glaive of the Guard. I was using the glaive for a bit because clarity, sinv, +15 AC with protection, and +rage but effectively it's a +8 unbranded glaive and it wasn't really doing anything for me with Wu Jian. It's also hard to say no to a +9 vamp dtrident with Dr who usually use a shield.

Is there something I'm missing, is heavenly storm going to dominate OOFs and pan lords? The main thing it's doing for me now is bounce me around like a pinball since I'm terrible about moving into walls. I'm moving heavy into Hexes so maybe invisibility will help with that. I kind of want to see Time Stop in action.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I can't remember his username and I feel bad. I remember he had a Wispy Woods avatar.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Amusing Fungus or something like that. He dropped off the devteam before goons really turned on trunk iirc

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Amusing Fungus or something like that. He dropped off the devteam before goons really turned on trunk iirc
Nah, I remember us being very mean to him because he had to keep defending dumb changes and removals because it was his job instead of because he wanted to.

Edit: Pleasing Fungus! That was it!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

That one goon dev who wasn't poo poo ended up getting literally all of the backlash himself while he had to defend the dev team's stupid decisions. No wonder he left, everyone hated trunk so by extension they throw a hell of a lot of hate at him.

That dev is immortalized in crab language if that helps:
pre:
    {"toadstool","pleasing fungus"},
    {"wandering mushroom","unpleasing fungus"},
FYI I have a new version of crab language if anyone who does their own build wants to test it out. Here are a few samples:
pre:
    {"volcano","hydrothermal vent"},
    {"tomb","Davy Jone's Locker"}
    {"robe of misfortune","why would you even put this on, girlcrab?"},

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 20, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

He was a very pleasant fungus. I remember that he didn't sound all that happy with the way things were going, either.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
make haste poison school

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Tollymain posted:

make haste poison school

Haste now called Illegal Doping

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tollymain posted:

make haste poison school
Medicine is just applied poisons!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Make every spell Poison school. Paracelsus said so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

He was a very pleasant fungus. I remember that he didn't sound all that happy with the way things were going, either.

IIRC...