Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ar, I hate that I never notice you're spectating until after you've already left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Araganzar posted:

Purple chunks are definitely in Gooncrawl, as are QOL features like wand stacking and McDonaldization of rations. Not sure how FK manages to curate with some stuff we don't want in trunk like RNG traps, but I do see commits coming through from Trunk until Gooncrawl.

Sounds like the perfect mix. My strategy to date has been to murder MiBes over and over while chugging purple, eating purple, and not being afraid of anything except deep water. I’ll have to give gooncrawl a try.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jedi425 posted:

Sounds like the perfect mix. My strategy to date has been to murder MiBes over and over while chugging purple, eating purple, and not being afraid of anything except deep water. I’ll have to give gooncrawl a try.
Please do. Also try some of our fun new races, like Hermit Crabs, Skeletons, and Demigods-But-Not-Bad!

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I'm a little mad about this most recent death, went into a blind teleport vault on D7 after clearing D11, nothing particularly dangerous in there, menkaure a bullfrog a centaur and some early dungeon trash, what instead happens is that menkaure torments me on the first turn, the centaur hits me with an acid wand through 20EV and repel missiles, then my next action is to get acid wanded a second time and going from 83 hp to dead in two turns. :argh:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

While thread negativity definitely drove him away from posting in the thread, he was also busy working on his own game instead of dedicating time to working on DCSS.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Hubris struck in a Ziggurat. I really should just win next time. I was trying to preserve my piety by skipping special moves every other level, but I should've just gone all in like always.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 21, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Early 3 stack of acquirement, surely this will change my game!

pre:
_i - 3 scrolls labeled YNOACS SERIRE
 As you read the scroll labeled YNOACS SERIRE, it crumbles to dust.
 This is a scroll of acquirement!
 [a] Weapon [b] Armour   [c] Jewellery [d] Book
 [e] Staff  [f] Evocable               [h] Gold
_Something appears at your feet!
_r - a glowing arbalest
 As you read the scroll of acquirement, it crumbles to dust.
_t - a runed halberd
_i - a glowing fustibalus
I'm 100% Axes..... :negative:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
arbalest pairs well w axes tho

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im back and playing a dsac of chei and they have a +3 shortbow. i havent bothered to put any training into it yet because im holding out for the first neat artefact bow or xbow or w/e i see, and w +2 slaying on my hand wraps i do a respectable amount of chip damage w it. song of slaying turns it into a legitimate killing tool

also i have powered by death and regen buff up and an amulet of regeneration so i can fight forever

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Araganzar posted:

Early 3 stack of acquirement, surely this will change my game!

pre:
_i - 3 scrolls labeled YNOACS SERIRE
 As you read the scroll labeled YNOACS SERIRE, it crumbles to dust.
 This is a scroll of acquirement!
_r - a glowing arbalest
_t - a runed halberd
_i - a glowing fustibalus
I'm 100% Axes..... :negative:
This is what happens when you ignore the golden rule of barmor. :colbert:

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Araganzar posted:

I'm playing a Dr now that would be perfect for Blade of Disaster and I guess the issue is how do I get that spell as a hybrid? Would be easy as Sif, and I've been offered it a couple times with Vehumet, but here I'm stuck getting it from Tempests or a randart book. Most charms (shroud, swiftness, rmsl, regen, dmsl) and practically every hex are available in 2 fairly common books and most are in starters. This means it's a rare combo to find a character who has this spell available during the time it would be useful.

I can say the one time I did try it I was Chei and it would place prisms that I had absolutely no hope of avoiding, especially if I had to attack an enemy to my right or left. Barring Chei, statue form is common enough on hybrids that it's a real issue. Even as a spriggan if I frequently have to move to avoid the explosion I'm quite frankly never going to use it. There are too many instances where 1-2 full turns are not worth it, especially in that it WILL force you to abandon a superior defensive position which IMO makes it a non-starter. Also makes multiple prisms rare because as soon as you summon one you have to back off and stop attacking. I would say place the prisms on the other side of the target and it's a winner.

What books do you recommend adding it to? Maybe book of power and book of enchantments? I could see adding it to the book of conjurations on a temporary basis to let people start with the spell and test it. I’m fine with it being a relatively rare thing you get to play with, rather than a staple of hybrids, but it’s true that it doesn’t make sense for a weird, new, niche spell in need of testing to be rare, or else nobody will test it.

It definitely is not a spell for Chei followers. And even though statue form is a spell used by hybrids, I hardly think every hybrid will or should use statue form, and both are high level spells with schools that don’t overlap. I think it’s fair for the spell to not be useful if you have below average movement speed.

I think you should always be able to get two prisms before you have to move, assuming average move speed, less than 1 attack delay and completely open terrain. Ripostes should also spawn the prisms, and if you attack very quickly, you can also get get more. If you’re hasted with a quick blade, you should be able to make a ton of them, though the explosions scale partially off of your weapon’s base damage.

I actually considered having the prisms spawn behind enemies. There are two reasons I didn’t. The first is that if it’s too easy to avoid the drawbacks of the spell, I think there’s a real chance it could be overpowered. It adds scaling AoE damage to your melee attacks, which hugely amplifies your effectiveness as soon as you’re fighting more than one enemy. What’s more, the prisms can block enemy attacks or projectiles, and they allow you to move away from enemies, then still deal damage with the explosions, potentially reducing your incoming damage as well. This shouldn’t be a spell you want to have on all the time. It’s fine to not want to cast it if it would make you give up a good defensive position. It’s more an extra tool that would make fighting in a neutral position more appealing, rather than always retreating to advantageous terrain. Of course, it might not be possible to thread that needle with the current design of the spell.

The second reason is that my compsci background is limited to a year of c++ back in high school, and looking at the code for targeting spells and spawning summons made me want to cry. But, do you think it would be better if the prisms always spawned in a fixed pattern, skipping spaces that are already filled? I like the randomness, in principle at least, because every fight will go a little differently, rather than the spell creating fixed movement and attack patterns you always adhere too. But it’s possible crowds of monsters and varying terrain would be enough to keep things fresh.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Does anyone know if the zealot's sword berserks regular summons? The bot says 'Going berserk (by any means) while wielding this sword will cause all natural-holiness allies in LOS to go berserk as well.' What exactly is an all natural-holiness ally?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Does anyone know if the zealot's sword berserks regular summons? The bot says 'Going berserk (by any means) while wielding this sword will cause all natural-holiness allies in LOS to go berserk as well.' What exactly is an all natural-holiness ally?

i think basically anything that isnt specifically holy, unholy, and possibly inananimate?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Haifisch posted:

This is what happens when you ignore the golden rule of barmor. :colbert:

Not empty quoting. It's the three B's for a reason people

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, natural-ness holiness is another way of saying "a normal monster" Ogres, dragons, etc. Anything obviously un/holy is out, as are golems etc. The list is fiddly is that's probably the best rule of thumb you'll get.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I actually considered having the prisms spawn behind enemies. There are two reasons I didn’t. The first is that if it’s too easy to avoid the drawbacks of the spell, I think there’s a real chance it could be overpowered. It adds scaling AoE damage to your melee attacks, which hugely amplifies your effectiveness as soon as you’re fighting more than one enemy. What’s more, the prisms can block enemy attacks or projectiles, and they allow you to move away from enemies, then still deal damage with the explosions, potentially reducing your incoming damage as well

Conjurations is not a hybrid start and starter books generally cap at level 5, so Enchantments for sure, maybe Party Tricks, I don't know, for now it should be readily available if you want it tested and want feedback. I've played quite a few games and quite a few characters that would use it that never saw it or never got it at the right time.

As it stands, it's a level 6 spell. As a hybrid, I have low available MP (12-24) and may need to reserve some for invocations. Here are other level 6 spells I could be casting with that budget:
Invisibility - basically I wipe the whole room with this in many situations, huge defensive and offensive bonuses even without stabbing
Death Channel - creates spectres for everything I kill, the spell lasts for a long time and the spectres are very persistent
Freezing Cloud - one of the best damage spells in the game for hybrids and provides area control as well, damage is not spellpower dependent and averages 14 cold damage per turn in 7-9 squares
Statue Form - probably the best hybrid spell in the game

Two of these are single school. All of them have ungodly long durations. All generally change the landscape of an entire encounter.

Meanwhile, a likely result of my casting Blade of Disaster is that a prism immediately spawns that causes me to have to move away 1-2 squares. Now I have spent 6 MP and a turn casting and then 2-4 turns moving from and towards potentially dangerous casters or ranged attackers. If I was using a quick blade I just lost about a dozen attacks. I could have spent 4MP, 1 turn, and considerably less experience using Fulminant Prism, which I could have placed precisely and to the disadvantage of my foes, which is where I prefer disadvantage to be conferred when I cast a spell.

It's a fun spell but hybrids can invest in a limited number of schools to level 6 and Necromancy, Transmutation, and Hexes offer much better level 6 spells and better utility along the way. Blade has a hard time competing here even if it weren't saddled with a drawback that forces the player out of a tactically sound position. Maybe if it were level 5, maybe if the explosions didn't hurt you, maybe if it stayed up until x prisms have been generated.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I typically use acquirement on a weapon if I have at least 8-10 levels of skill in a weapon type and don’t have a good one. It’s pretty heavily weighted towards giving you a weapon of a type you haven’t seen yet but of a category that you have skill in. And a good weapon is going to make a much bigger difference for an early to mid game character than most pieces of randart armor, even if you get a good one. I find weapon acquirement especially attractive for short blades characters, since the chance of getting a quickblade early is pretty good. An early long bow also wrecks the game’s difficulty curve until lair branches and acquirement is very likely to give you one if your only weapon skill is bows.

If I already have a weapon I’m satisfied with, I’ll acquire armor, unless there’s something in a shop I want and I don’t have the gold, in which case I acquire that. If I already have all armor slots filled with randarts or ego armor pieces and there’s nothing in any shops, I usually acquire jewelry, since I think that has a higher chance of giving you a decent randart than armor.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im dead now

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Stabbers are fun, but jeez do I tend to die before even getting off the ground with them.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, stabbing seems to be one of the trickiest playstyles to get your head around; from my experience, it involves even more running away from everything than the usual playstyles, because you basically can't afford to pick any suboptimal fights, especially early on, so if your hex doesn't stick or the floor layout's too open, welp, time to book it again. I tend not to have the patience for it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Played some more games in trunk tonight, got shafted down to d:15 in stages (shafted one floor, then shafted again while clearing that floor, once a third time) in 3 of 5 games. Died in 2 of them. Also have been marked/alarm trapped more in this last string of games alone than I think in months/years of playing earlier versions. This new trap system is hilarious

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 21, 2019

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

So the problem with cacodemons is that they have Dig which lets them cast spells outside of player LoS (an essential part of Dig), while Entropic Weave is a smite type spell that doesn't do any LoS checks (because monsters with smite like attacks don't have Dig). This interaction makes cacodemons able to see and Entropic Weave you as long as they are somewhere within overall LoS, even if they are behind walls and the player can't see them. I'll have to find another spell for them to use as a Malmutate replacement; until then, enjoy omniscient corrosion.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Found Vampires' Tooth on D5, do you think this warrants dipping into Short Blades on my DEWz? I've got rpois, so I can point-blank confuse non-resistant monsters for stabs.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Aumanor posted:

Found Vampires' Tooth on D5, do you think this warrants dipping into Short Blades on my DEWz? I've got rpois, so I can point-blank confuse non-resistant monsters for stabs.

Yes, Vampire's tooth special ability is you get the full damage you did in healing as opposed to a die roll so twice the vamp healing on a +12 weapon. It only takes 8 skill which is nothing for a DE, probably worth using long term if you plan on investing in Hexes (confuse/invis/hibernation). If you haven't picked a god yet, Hep and Dith are great, but you can still go with a caster god and it will do fine for you.

edit: well no good armor through Orc, Lair, and D, guess I'll poke my head down into depths to see if there's a fire dragon I ca.. :kingsley: OH :kingsley::kingsley: MY :kingsley: GOD :kingsley::kingsley::kingsley:

:cawg: Here's a challenge: name a Depths monster that's missing from this picture.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 21, 2019

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Araganzar posted:

Conjurations is not a hybrid start and starter books generally cap at level 5, so Enchantments for sure, maybe Party Tricks, I don't know, for now it should be readily available if you want it tested and want feedback. I've played quite a few games and quite a few characters that would use it that never saw it or never got it at the right time.

As it stands, it's a level 6 spell. As a hybrid, I have low available MP (12-24) and may need to reserve some for invocations. Here are other level 6 spells I could be casting with that budget:
Invisibility - basically I wipe the whole room with this in many situations, huge defensive and offensive bonuses even without stabbing
Death Channel - creates spectres for everything I kill, the spell lasts for a long time and the spectres are very persistent
Freezing Cloud - one of the best damage spells in the game for hybrids and provides area control as well, damage is not spellpower dependent and averages 14 cold damage per turn in 7-9 squares
Statue Form - probably the best hybrid spell in the game

Two of these are single school. All of them have ungodly long durations. All generally change the landscape of an entire encounter.

Meanwhile, a likely result of my casting Blade of Disaster is that a prism immediately spawns that causes me to have to move away 1-2 squares. Now I have spent 6 MP and a turn casting and then 2-4 turns moving from and towards potentially dangerous casters or ranged attackers. If I was using a quick blade I just lost about a dozen attacks. I could have spent 4MP, 1 turn, and considerably less experience using Fulminant Prism, which I could have placed precisely and to the disadvantage of my foes, which is where I prefer disadvantage to be conferred when I cast a spell.

It's a fun spell but hybrids can invest in a limited number of schools to level 6 and Necromancy, Transmutation, and Hexes offer much better level 6 spells and better utility along the way. Blade has a hard time competing here even if it weren't saddled with a drawback that forces the player out of a tactically sound position. Maybe if it were level 5, maybe if the explosions didn't hurt you, maybe if it stayed up until x prisms have been generated.

This is valuable feedback and I have a few things to say in response, but it's time for me to go to sleep, so they'll have to wait for tomorrow. But before I go to bed, I just want to clarify how the spell works. I actually had to check this, because I haven't touched Crawl in months and I forgot how my own spell works. You should never have to move on the first turn you hit someone after casting it. The prisms it conjures have the same tile as fulminant prisms because I'm not an artist, but they're not the same. When you cast the spell, you have 4 turns to go nuts with melee attacks and make a bunch of prisms. The prisms are very durable (I think) and none of them will explode yet. Once your 4 turns are up, the -disaster status light goes on and you have 2 turns to get the hell away. The complete duration of the spell ends after 6 turns, then all the prisms explode at once.

So the idea is, and it's possible the idea isn't working as intended, you attack for 4 turns and move for 2, during which time you can be moving away from melee attackers so they can't hit you. Then if you're fighting a group, you suddenly deal several times the damage you would normally deal with 4 turns of melee attacks when all your prisms explode.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
[quote="Araganzar" post=""494435193”"]
edit: well no good armor through Orc, Lair, and D, guess I'll poke my head down into depths to see if there's a fire dragon I ca.. :kingsley: OH :kingsley::kingsley: MY :kingsley: GOD :kingsley::kingsley::kingsley:

:cawg: Here's a challenge: name a Depths monster that's missing from this picture.
[/quote]

No juggernaut.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Heithinn Grasida posted:

This is valuable feedback and I have a few things to say in response, but it's time for me to go to sleep, so they'll have to wait for tomorrow. But before I go to bed, I just want to clarify how the spell works. I actually had to check this, because I haven't touched Crawl in months and I forgot how my own spell works. You should never have to move on the first turn you hit someone after casting it. The prisms it conjures have the same tile as fulminant prisms because I'm not an artist, but they're not the same. When you cast the spell, you have 4 turns to go nuts with melee attacks and make a bunch of prisms. The prisms are very durable (I think) and none of them will explode yet. Once your 4 turns are up, the -disaster status light goes on and you have 2 turns to get the hell away. The complete duration of the spell ends after 6 turns, then all the prisms explode at once.

So the idea is, and it's possible the idea isn't working as intended, you attack for 4 turns and move for 2, during which time you can be moving away from melee attackers so they can't hit you. Then if you're fighting a group, you suddenly deal several times the damage you would normally deal with 4 turns of melee attacks when all your prisms explode.

Thanks for that explanation, that makes it much more useful. I'm programmed to back up when I see a prism in explodey range.

I would probably at the very least try that spell out. If the prisms are durable that gives a real reason to use them over fulminant and they become useful for positioning, blocking, and escape. Hybrids also benefit from spells whose damage depends on your weapon rather than spellpower.

TBQH I would find it more useful as a Hexes/Conjuration spell and it feels more like a hex spell to me. There are a lot of reasons for a hybrid to push hexes to level 6+ casting and not very many to push conjurations or charms. Charms tend to be more permabuffs, Hexes tend to be battle spells.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Araganzar posted:

Yikes I'm that guy aren't I? I remember your post now but your score isn't showing up on the high scores or on your score page for Gooncrawl. :confused:

At least you didn't get your score beat by a guy who only did 15 runes. Sorry, I bet it was cool getting the results screen and seeing you'd beaten Haif's score though, were you aware you would be close?

Hope you get a FDCj going. The secret with that battlesphere is it will shoot at your target (even if you hit something else it will aim for your target) and it will move up to 1 square to position where it can see the target. So you can block it and if it's behind you in a corridor you will have to take a step back. You can shoot through your battlesphere with no issues. I did a poor job explaining that in chat.

Haha, no worries. And yeah the scoring system doesn't seem to have kept my win, which is sad. Idk who to report that to.

I had no idea I'd be number 1, it was a very pleasant surprise! I play for combo wins and titles, not score though, so it was just a nicety and no biggie.

And no worries about the battlesphere thing, I was multitasking against the hockey game and just paid attention to the game after that. I have now lost two very promising FDCjs to Ijyb with a loving acid wand, gently caress him. I've never won with a caster before, so FDCj looks perfect for my next combo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Is it 4/2 actions or 4/2 turns? If it's the latter, it sounds like something that would synergize well with any kind of haste effect.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames

i put literally no effort into this lmao

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Araganzar posted:

Well, let's see...no big uglies or golden dragons, missing a moon troll variant or two, etc, but most of the monster classes are represented. The only missing 'types' of monster I can think of are the rank and file demons, undead, and elementals, but I'm sure the boggarts will clear that up for you momentarily.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
So can we talk the implementation of repel and deflect missiles as permabuffs? Unlike other buffs, those two never timed out in their original version, and so didn't require you to keep mana in reserve to recast them. As such, they got hit way harder than other buffs in transition to permabuffs. At this point, I'm not sure Deflect is at all worth the investment on any primary caster.

Also, I've had an amulet of harm on my DEWz since early levels, but recently found mregen. Do you think I should eat the drain and swap them or not?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'd lean towards keeping Harm on if you're a blaster caster. Magic Regen does help keep you going through long fights, but so does killing poo poo faster. Doubly so if you're worshipping Veh, as 99% of blaster casters should.

WereVolvo
Jan 12, 2011
"Fun" is not a design goal.

Araganzar posted:

Spark wasps!

I am in no way bitter because I lost a promising DEIE today to a pack of spark wasps due to fatfingering and having no rElec, not at all

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Well, let's see...no big uglies or golden dragons, missing a moon troll variant or two, etc, but most of the monster classes are represented. The only missing 'types' of monster I can think of are the rank and file demons, undead, and elementals, but I'm sure the boggarts will clear that up for you momentarily.

The demons usually only spawn near hell or pan vaults.

WereVolvo posted:

Spark wasps!

Yeah I was thinking those and Ice Giant. I totally blanked on the Juggernaut though.

Also I finally busted into Depths (quaffed agility, read tport, went down stairs). Found a door vault on Depths 4, got all buffed up and jacked and ready for a fight and then here's what came out...

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Does anyone know if Dithmenos will copy the instant kill part of Finisher?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Okay, I got a FeCj to the bottom of Lair for the first time. https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Arivia/Arivia.txt
Any skill or spell suggestions? Nothing's really interested me as a weapon, so I was just going to go with magical staves eventually. I expect Magic Dart + Battlesphere won't work for trash forever.

Vehumet offered me Bolt of Cold, which might be a nice addition to my Bolt of Magma/Iron Shot. I'm currently using Poison Cloud/Fireball to take down enemy groups, so I might need to find something different for the Lair branches.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

As a spriggan enchanter should I at all bother raising my strength or should I go all in on dexterity? Also; is Dithmenos any good or should I try Fedhas since I don't eat the corpses or some other god?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Does anyone know if Dithmenos will copy the instant kill part of Finisher?

Shadow mimic attacks with a +0 unbranded weapon of the same type so no. The only thing the mimic strictly copies are targeted hexes.

Arivia posted:

Okay, I got a FeCj to the bottom of Lair for the first time. https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/Arivia/Arivia.txt
Any skill or spell suggestions? Nothing's really interested me as a weapon, so I was just going to go with magical staves eventually. I expect Magic Dart + Battlesphere won't work for trash forever.

Magic Dart + Battlesphere will last you until you are into level 9 spells. I would probably get rid of bolt of magma, searing ray, and dazzling spray and get bolt of cold and force lance. Bolt of cold is good in shoals where it will leave behind freezing clouds over water. It's also good in snake where you have a lot of opportunities to line guys up in corridors and narrow spaces, and naga are slow so they can be easily positioned. About 6-8 cold would support, I would keep pushing conj and fire in the hopes you get bolt of fire, ignition, and firestorm. You already have iron shot and shatter.

Clear Orc and Dungeon. Do snake and prioritize fast-moving targets like anaconda, shock serpents, and adder, all of which are cold-blooded and may be slowed by cold. As a felid with reflection, shoot for 29-31 EV and get deflect missiles as soon as you can support the MP reservation comfortably. DMSL is really nice to have in Shoals. Long-term with +4 transloc you want controlled blink and singularity, replace cblink wth disjunction for Zot and the orb run.

As a felid you probably also want spellforged servitor as a free MP caster and blocker. Don't let naga get in melee as they can tear you up and prevent blink with constriction. Long term you may consider some summons even though they are unsupported by Vehumet. Summon Forest is a nice escape spell for Felid that can also really control the battlefield and with your heavy translocation you can get it off with maybe 4 summoning skill.

Gorelab posted:

As a spriggan enchanter should I at all bother raising my strength or should I go all in on dexterity? Also; is Dithmenos any good or should I try Fedhas since I don't eat the corpses or some other god?

I only raise Str if I'm worried about stat drain, like if I haven't found +STR gear and I'm about to Zot 5 and tomb. Dith is good, Gozag is quite good for non-eating races and much easier to manage than Fedhas. Hep and Ash are also good, the hexer Hep ancestor will confuse and eventually mass confuse and paralyze. The mass confuse is pretty game breaking.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Is it 4/2 actions or 4/2 turns? If it's the latter, it sounds like something that would synergize well with any kind of haste effect.

It’s turns. The spell pretty strongly favors attacking quickly, since your weapon’s base damage is only a part of the damage equation. The strongest use case for the spell, and also a very unrealistic one, is max unarmed with very high spell power (per the description, it uses double spell power when unarmed, rather than weapon damage). Following that, it should be extremely powerful with a triple sword, since ripostes spawn prisms (it follows the rules of auxilliary attacks, so no cleaving, yes ripostes, yes WJC attacks. Maybe that should change to no on all three, I’m not sure). Finally, it should be very good with a quickblade, a rapier of speed (better base damage than a quickblade), a demon whip or any decent long blade.

Araganzar posted:

Thanks for that explanation, that makes it much more useful. I'm programmed to back up when I see a prism in explodey range.

I would probably at the very least try that spell out. If the prisms are durable that gives a real reason to use them over fulminant and they become useful for positioning, blocking, and escape. Hybrids also benefit from spells whose damage depends on your weapon rather than spellpower.

TBQH I would find it more useful as a Hexes/Conjuration spell and it feels more like a hex spell to me. There are a lot of reasons for a hybrid to push hexes to level 6+ casting and not very many to push conjurations or charms. Charms tend to be more permabuffs, Hexes tend to be battle spells.

This is related to some of the points I wanted to write about last night, but I went to sleep first. I wrote the spell when gooncrawl was first being discussed and floodkiller decided to make it, so there were no permabuffs at that time. Charms in general was a weak school, at that point, with very few attractive high level spells. In fact, I think there was even discussion (though perhaps not serious consideration) of removing the school in general. And, though I love the quality of life value of permabuffs, and think having them in the game is generally preferable over the situation in trunk, I don’t like them as a standard paradigm for the design of charms spells. So I wrote blade of disaster to exemplify an alternate paradigm for buff spells as opposed to permabuffs.

My issue with permabuffs as the standard design of charms spells is that they have very minimal, if any, tactical implications. Even on a strategic level, a magic-light hybrid that learns phase shift, ozo’s armor and infusion is only really increasing the same numbers as a standard melee character, but is just highlighting different skills on the skill screen to do so. I really value the flavor aspect of buffs. Players come into the game and think “I want to play a spellsword” and the game should let them do that. But, I think playing a “spellsword” should also involve a different gameplay experience than playing a melee bruiser. Permabuffs make the two character types play too similarly for my liking.

Just to clarify, I’m not opposed to having any permabuffs at all. I think they’re fine for certain spells. But I’m opposed to all buffs being permabuffs or permabuffs being the design paradigm of the charm’s school.

So that’s why blade of disaster is charms, not hexes. It’s intended to be a strong personal buff that “reaver” types (from the old background that was a melee start with a conjurations spell book) want to learn, but that’s a buff the player actually has to think about and interact with tactically rather than being just a straight increase in the numbers on their stat sheet. Now that permabuffs are in and are common, perhaps blade of disaster should change. I still prefer it as conjurations/charms spell because hexes is already so amazing that it doesn’t really need any new spells. Conjurations isn’t a common choice for hybrids, but it’s a character type that I play frequently and really enjoy, so I’d like to have some more incentives to build that kind of character.

Aumanor posted:

So can we talk the implementation of repel and deflect missiles as permabuffs? Unlike other buffs, those two never timed out in their original version, and so didn't require you to keep mana in reserve to recast them. As such, they got hit way harder than other buffs in transition to permabuffs. At this point, I'm not sure Deflect is at all worth the investment on any primary caster.

When permabuffs were being discussed and voted on, I argued against including these two. I think people just thought that making buffs permanent would make them better and they didn’t realize it would actually be a nerf in this case. I hope at some point we can change these back.