Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What's this all about?

Once upon a time, there was a British company who made a trilogy of adventure games about a Sorcerer named Simon. The first two games were really rather good, the third was okay. But due to many reasons, the third game sank the company and became Adventuresoft's last ever release. I went into more details about it in the last thread (link below.) The first three games aren't required viewing but if you want to see the stories play out in full then feel free to peruse them here:

Simon The Sorcerer 1 & 2 (Subtitled and non-subtitled videos:) https://lparchive.org/Simon-the-Sorcerer-Series/
Simon The Sorcerer 3D (Video LP:) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877834

A German company called Silver Style Entertainment decided to pick up and continue the franchise. They released two sequels before the company sank, the fifth game in the series ended up being their last ever release. So we already know that we're going to be in for a fun time! I will be playing the fourth game and at some point, I will follow with the fifth. They are both "classic" point and click adventure games. As much as they did a good job with some continuation from the previous games, a lot of things are different.

LP Details

I'm going to aim for one or two updates a week. I don't really think anyone will spoil anything but if you really want to talk about anything that will appear in future videos, please use the appropriate tags. Feel free to talk about any of the previous games in this thread if you'd like too.

Let's Play: Simon The Sorcerer 4 - Chaos Happens:

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jun 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I haven't yet watched the video, I just came here to tell you that your link in the LP forum links to the Yakuza LP of the poster before you, not this thread. Your post should look like this:

It was going to happen at some point. Come and watch me enjoy the heck out of Simon The Sorcerer 4 - Chaos Happens

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Torrannor posted:

I haven't yet watched the video, I just came here to tell you that your link in the LP forum links to the Yakuza LP of the poster before you, not this thread. Your post should look like this:

It was going to happen at some point. Come and watch me enjoy the heck out of Simon The Sorcerer 4 - Chaos Happens

Thank you, I really appreciate you going out of your way to tell me this!

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I want to throw Simon in the garbage already.

I think having a non-american accent provides a buffer on sounding like a jerk.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:psyduck: This game is already quite bizarre to see, given the changes from the previous ones. And yes, new Simon's voice actor is... something.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

As bad as 3 was (mainly due to the presentation, bugs and fiddly controls) I couldn't stand watching this. How did this even warrant yet another sequel by the same company?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

evilmiera posted:

As bad as 3 was (mainly due to the presentation, bugs and fiddly controls) I couldn't stand watching this. How did this even warrant yet another sequel by the same company?
It probably sold well enough in Germany. It was the dark ages when all p&c adventure games died and went to Germany. They should have just died.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

evilmiera posted:

After reading your reply and seeing how little information there is surrounding everything from 3D onwards I thought that I'd do some more digging around. I'll keep doing some digging as I continue to LP this whole franchise. Right now I've found a few things that I thought were interesting:

There was some life left after Simon 3D

The first is that the main people behind the original Simon trilogy branched off after the third title to produce games under a different name. They produced the game Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for Bethesda. They also planned a franchise and started to develop more games. But from what I've read there was some financial problems and they ended up declaring bankruptcy and cancelling several games. The more I play of the Simon series, the more I want to contact the original developers with some questions. I will hold off for the moment until I have something solid to put towards them.

Some information from Silver Style Entertainment

I've also found an interview with the CEO of Silver Style Entertainment, Carsten Strehse, from 2007 regarding the development of Chaos Happens. It's in German, I will post some (Google) translated parts. You can find the whole interview here:http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Simon-the-Sorcerer-Chaos-ist-das-halbe-Leben-Spiel-16243/News/Interview-Simon-the-Sorcerer-4-541402/

quote:

After the third part of the Simon the Sorcerer series flopped defying 3D clothing, the inventors Simon and Mike Woodroffe lost interest in a successor. They withdrew the license to German developer Silver Style.

PCGH: Simon the Sorcerer is again a point and click adventure. Why is this type of adventure still so popular in your opinion?

Carsten Strehse: The genre is timelessly good and fits into the current trend of the game design. It is still necessary to develop technically "faster, higher, further", but creative ideas and good stories are increasingly coming into focus. The genre is also great for expanding the audience to players and older gamers.

PCGH: Will the designs also be submitted to Simon inventors Mike and Simon Woodroffe and will they have to bless them? If so, what was the reason to include Woodroffes in the development?

Carsten Strehse: They are the inventors of Simon. We show Mike and Simon all relevant development documents and get their advice and take into account correction requests, even if a direct acceptance is actually not necessary. Of course, it only makes sense to involve such experienced game designers.

Recent interviews from one of the original developers

Adventure Soft were run by the father and son team of Mike and Simon Woodroffe. In 2016 a website conducted an interview with Mike. I'll post some relevant quotes but you can read the whole thing here: https://advgamer.blogspot.com/2016/07/interview-with-mike-woodroffe.html

quote:

Simon the Sorcerer was your first foray into a continuing series with your own characters, how did that process emerge creatively?
Mike: Simon Woodroffe came up with the concept and we decided to run with it.
(Ed Note: Mike separately let me know that he felt that the move to 3D for the third Simon game was a mistake. His company still owns the Intellectual Property for Simon and could decide to do something new with it in the future. I hope that we’ll be able to speak with Simon himself once we cover his namesake games, in a few years.)

What does the future hold for Adventure Soft? Do you have any plans to remake any of your old games or develop new ones?
Mike: Wait and see. Maybe.
(Ed Note: We are excited by the possibility!)

They re-released\re-made the original two Simon games less than a year ago. I've also found a podcast interview with Mike Woodroffe, from October last year, here: https://theretrohour.com/simon-the-sorcerer-with-mike-woodroffe-the-retro-hour-ep142/

I'm not going to listen to it now as I've been on this for about an hour and I want to take a break. I can't promise that I'll listen to it before the next LP update but I will at some point within the next week or so and report back with anything interesting.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 3, 2019

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
As a fan of the first two games (and someone who could never get far into the third), I've tried playing this game. It kept crashing, relentlessly, but that was more or less the only reason I couldn't continue; I couldn't bring myself to hate the game. Wasn't really as good as the first two games, but neither was 3D, honestly.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I am really confused. The game keeps going, "I'm from a series of games!" and yet it only seems to have the most token of efforts in being a part of that. The last game ended on a cliffhanger with Simon not having gotten home again, and yet here we are opening with him at home, and now he has a little brother, and we're not even going to attempt to replicate his old voice. It's just bizarre to me.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This episode involved animal cruelty, threatening behaviour towards a minor and I'm pretty sure that we've committed manslaughter.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Towards the end I was sort of expecting Simon to have to go gather poisonous mushrooms or something for the map.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Poil posted:

Towards the end I was sort of expecting Simon to have to go gather poisonous mushrooms or something for the map.

We have a far higher price to pay than collecting mushrooms, the price we are paying is to see more of this game unfold.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The dumb torture suggestions were kinda fun I suppose. Goldilocks might be double bluffing but it really sounds like she is going to backstab Simon and only escape herself.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, we get to have a fun time exploring the town and meeting new people!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's a German game, so obviously you can't knock on a door if there's no knocker.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, Simon explores the rest of the town and speaks to some old friends. Also, I get around to trying out some of that puzzle solving business.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Simon encourages murder and then searches for a way to engage in voyeurism.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

At least the voyeurism is only for himself. Sort of.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I’m no expert, but I’ve noticed a few things about the writing in this game:

-whoever wrote the dialogue is pretty good at English, but not so great that it couldn’t have really benefited from an editorial pass for problems of idiom and sentence structure

-the awkward writing is compounded by what appears to be a complete absence of direction for the voice cast (and, frankly, a voice cast that isn’t that great, although I’m aware that these were industry-wide issues when this was published).

-also, all the characters speak in the same sort of authorial “voice”, and that voice is perpetually petulant and disagreeable, which would probably drive me up a wall if I were the one playing this

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

If you didn't think that Simon was a dick before, you will after this video.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

If you didn't think that Simon was a dick before,
Uh huh.

quote:

you will after this video.
Oh gods...

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Our protagonist, ladies and gents! :allears:

And we all know Simon is a dick, that's the charm of the series.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

"Completely uninteresting. That's one thing for sure."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What did they do to Swampy's voice? That's downright horrendous. It's somehow even worse than gnomes in WoW.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Poil posted:

What did they do to Swampy's voice? That's downright horrendous. It's somehow even worse than gnomes in WoW.

They've hit a new peak. One thing that is puzzling me at the moment is Calypso's voice. Why is the only one with an English accent?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hmmmmm.

Real Simon is messy, so fake Simon has OCD.
Real Simon is rude, so fake Simon is polite.
Real Simon is a jerk, so fake Simon is nice.
Real Simon likes to hurt people, so fake Simon likes helping people.
Real Simon abandons his friends, so fake Simon stands by his friends.
Real Simon uses people, so fake Simon supports people.
Real Simon saves the world, so fake Simon destroys it?

If it wasn't for that last one...

They've hit a new peak. One thing that is puzzling me at the moment is Calypso's voice. Why is the only one with an English accent?
Maybe they could only find a single guy who had one. :shrug:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Poil posted:

Real Simon saves the world, so fake Simon destroys it?

If it wasn't for that last one...

We all have to live with at least one flaw in our personality.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, we piss off Swampy and help Calypso help us.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In this episode, we piss off Swampy
Sure, Swampy is a bit annoying and makes terrible stew but there was at least one person willing to become their friend. And you ruined it. :smith:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I would say that we get to explore a couple of new areas, but there isn't a whole lot to see. We do get to help some... old friends. Also, there is another innocent casualty in this episode.

Poil posted:

Sure, Swampy is a bit annoying and makes terrible stew but there was at least one person willing to become their friend. And you ruined it. :smith:

We were being honest with Swampy even though it hurt him, that is something that a friend would do.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

A lot happens in this episode. We find out what Green Simon was planning all along, it turns out that he is also an idiot. Plus there are more new areas to explore, or to be more precise, a whole new dimension.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So fake Simon really is the better Simon in practically every way. We're playing as a villain. Still it was a funny reveal.

We were being honest with Swampy even though it hurt him, that is something that a friend would do.
Yeah true. But he could have told him in a much better way.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Our Simon isn't so much a villain as... well, a menace to society. Though he has indeed hosed up royally this time.

Let's see how much he has to terrorise everyone to get out of this one! :unsmigghh:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, so did green simon. If he had told anyone at all what was going on this whole thing would have been ended before the death ray got that far. Or at the very least red simon wouldn't have swapped the diamonds thinking him a collaborator.

E: but most importantly, green simon is a monster that gave swampy false hope.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Simon explores a couple of new locations, meets a couple of new people and probably won't be trying to maim any more dogs.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Otherwise known as "Orgies, Cross-Dressing & Piss."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You had me at piss. It is a metaphor for life and this game.

Is Hades really gonna take away the doorstop from the boulder? He seems way too busy to leave his desk for almost anything.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

He did leave his desk for a few moments. Maybe we have just caught him during working hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I presume the disguise was to get past the security cameras, though I don't think the game said or even hinted at that.