Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it doesn’t have a good epoll now

but don’t worry, you can do AIO polls now

the AIO part of AIO is still crap, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

It's a long weekend and I keep thinking about writing my own database "build*" process what is wrong with me?

*not really build but a basic ui for generating a manifest for something like flywayDB without having to janitor xml so really just drag and drop a run order, specify rollbacks etc but taking the file list from a diff of the work branch to the master so you don't have to list anything manually and oh god why can't I stop

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

mystes posted:

My impression of pinterest years ago it was just companies trying to get free advertising through social media and there were no actual users, and it seemed like it only got less popular from that point. They're seriously having an IPO?

I managed to capture a video of some of IPO trading, live like it's the 20th Century again,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykDCLu5iRFM&t=71s

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It's a long weekend and I keep thinking about writing my own database "build*" process what is wrong with me?

*not really build but a basic ui for generating a manifest for something like flywayDB without having to janitor xml so really just drag and drop a run order, specify rollbacks etc but taking the file list from a diff of the work branch to the master so you don't have to list anything manually and oh god why can't I stop

I've found Flyaway to be pretty fragile, but then our whole build process is pretty fragile

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i spent all day making a progressbar for our webapp's bootstrap script loading the actual ~1 MB (compressed) js and css data. i develop it in firefox and when i try it in chrome, the loving browser reports the amount of uncompressed data in its progressevent, so the progress bar hilariously breaks way out of the right side of the containing div. edge worked correctly. ie 11 didn't work because i used arrow functions (and probably would have broken on promises next)

web "development" :chome:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
webdev is such a joke that it shouldn’t even be considered programming

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
you'd think that in 2019 things like the number of bytes returned by a file download progress event would no longer be an issue.

i wonder if chrome reports the number of raw 24-bit rgb pixels decoded so far if you attach a progress event handler on an image file download

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

webdev is such a joke that it shouldn’t even be considered programming

idk the number of dumb poo poo problems that web devs keep having to solve because no one has solved them in meaningful ways is kind of astonishing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its amazing that web "devs" keep coming up with new and terrible ways to "solve" already solved problems

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

its amazing that web "devs" keep coming up with new and terrible ways to "solve" already solved problems

some of us are actually just interested in building apps instead of new frameworks, op

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

akadajet posted:

some of us are actually just interested in building apps instead of new frameworks, op

and we can't wait to get those apps started after we're done gluing together a usable framework from 300 disparate node dependencies

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

they should come up with better error messages so I don’t have to hit google for everything.

thanks spring boot for giving me http 503 and then nothing in terms of what actually is wrong (turns out the spring boot application function has to be in the same dir or higher than the rest controllers)

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

DaTroof posted:

and we can't wait to get those apps started after we're done gluing together a usable framework from 300 disparate node dependencies

I love having a 350mb node_modules folder

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

DaTroof posted:

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I love having a 350mb node_modules folder

last time i installed/ran our front-end service locally it was over two gigs on disc and the npm dependency list was over 1000 lines long. it takes about five to ten minutes to bootstrap and basically makes my dev machine unusable while doing so.

gently caress web development

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Aramoro posted:

I've found Flyaway to be pretty fragile, but then our whole build process is pretty fragile

is it more fragile than "get someone in the services team to copy and paste the contents of anything up to 30 scripts into a terminal and run them"? because that's the current deploy process!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

is it more fragile than "get someone in the services team to copy and paste the contents of anything up to 30 scripts into a terminal and run them"? because that's the current deploy process!

it absolutely is not. flyway isn't the perfect solution but sheeeeeeit is it better than no solution

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Oneiros posted:

last time i installed/ran our front-end service locally it was over two gigs on disc and the npm dependency list was over 1000 lines long. it takes about five to ten minutes to bootstrap and basically makes my dev machine unusable while doing so.

what uhh, what does it .... do

at least in general terms

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Private Speech posted:

what uhh, what does it .... do

at least in general terms

queries the backend for data with tons of redundant / duplicate requests because no one understands debouncing / locking then presents it to our users in half a dozen subtly different visual design patterns and with various parts of the page contradicting each other because there's no consistency between the various backend services and everything is async. and live reloading, which i guess is a vitally important feature, except when it breaks. also half the time the backend throws a 500 the front-end does nothing because error handlers are just straight up missing.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i'm currently betting on whether we'll make it a year between all-hands presentations on how yes, the current js framework is a dumpster fire and everyone hates working on it but this "new" js framework is totally gonna solve all our problems. we have three in various degrees of active use / decrepitude.

in more homegrown terrible programming news, i recently discovered that my team's service's build script was caching every ruby gem we've ever pulled in and then copying them all into our deployment docker image, which would explain why the drat thing had grown to over a gig (not that it's particularly svelte after trimming that poo poo out). i've had a really bad habit of not paying much attention to infra & testing stuff during reviews (not that i'm much more than a novice in those areas myself) and i'm gonna have to fix that because god drat the entire build/deploy pipeline is a ticking time bomb waiting to blow up in our faces.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
that sucks but it actually sounds like things are a lot farther along than most places in terms of build scripts and docker images so you've at least got that going for you!

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Oneiros posted:

try running create-react-app if you're curious what a 200mb hello world looks like

the package-lock.json is 643kb

i actually like react but holy poo poo the create-react-app scaffold is unrepentant garbage

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Wheany posted:

i spent all day making a progressbar for our webapp's bootstrap script loading the actual ~1 MB (compressed) js and css data. i develop it in firefox and when i try it in chrome, the loving browser reports the amount of uncompressed data in its progressevent, so the progress bar hilariously breaks way out of the right side of the containing div. edge worked correctly. ie 11 didn't work because i used arrow functions (and probably would have broken on promises next)

web "development" :chome:

It's things like this that ensure we all have jobs. Our livelihoods depend upon our unique knowledge of web Woodoo (it's like Web Voodoo but more politically correct in IE 10+ and Chrome 42.0/Blink 182.1). Web development is like if civil engineers had sidewalk cement that didn't support certain versions of bicycles.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

DaTroof posted:

try running create-react-app if you're curious what a 200mb hello world looks like

the package-lock.json is 643kb

i actually like react but holy poo poo the create-react-app scaffold is unrepentant garbage

Use parcel

Create react app except not poo poo

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

Use parcel

Create react app except not poo poo

how come whenever people talk about any dynamic language the solution is always an unironic “use THIS package” or “use THIS framework” when the problems are clearly systematic to the team or drive being the language?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
spoken like someone who clearly never tried parcel!

joking of course, webdev is terrible (in before shaggar: this includes blazor)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
lol chome marked the bug WontFix a week ago https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=463622

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
i introduced someone at work to "fetch", the Javascript convenience function for sending HTTP calls which is super easy and quick.The downside is it's not supported in explorer

he used it on one page and his boss told him to remove it because it didn't work in his browser

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
now to teach him about polyfills

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

abigserve posted:

i introduced someone at work to "fetch", the Javascript convenience function for sending HTTP calls which is super easy and quick.The downside is it's not supported in explorer

he used it on one page and his boss told him to remove it because it didn't work in his browser

IE has long term support till 2025, so only 6 more years of transpiling all your code into ECMAscript 5.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Some Mazdas and some Nissans cannot stream over Bluetooth the 99% Invisible podcast because of the "% I" in the name so they made an alternate "99% invisible" podcast to work around it.

More weirdness: https://www.reddit.com/r/gimlet/comments/bdxht4/hey_its_ben_from_the_reply_all_episode_140_i_have/

crazysim fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 22, 2019

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I found out today that the reason two of our projects in the VS solution have a bunch of included files is because they're in the same directory (so all the unincluded files are *hopefully* part of the other project)

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

quote if the internal monologue in your head while reading code is pretty much the same as audio off a dashcam video

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol if you didn't expect URL encoding immediately on description of the problem

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Skyl3lazer posted:

I found out today that the reason two of our projects in the VS solution have a bunch of included files is because they're in the same directory (so all the unincluded files are *hopefully* part of the other project)

the new project format includes all files in the directory by default. so that wouldn’t work too well

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Captain Foo posted:

lol if you didn't expect URL encoding immediately on description of the problem

It wasnt though, it was printf query strings according to that which is MUCH worse

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gonadic io posted:

It wasnt though, it was printf query strings according to that which is MUCH worse

it wasn't printf tho

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Captain Foo posted:

it wasn't printf tho

IDK I'm just going off the linked reddit posts where they crashed it with printf formatting patterns and not with other % chars that weren't valid for printf :shrug:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gonadic io posted:

IDK I'm just going off the linked reddit posts where they crashed it with printf formatting patterns and not with other % chars that weren't valid for printf :shrug:

i was going off the podcast where they ended up concluding it wasn't printf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

% In writes to memory, % i just reads the stack.