Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I fail quit Sekiro so loving hard that I had to find another souls-like game to appease myself. Man, I really wanted to experience the Sekiro setting. And the Japanese voice acting and lore stuff was so good and cool. But after about 40 tries trying to kill the first mini-boss Chained Ogre I just couldn’t any more. I beat dark souls 3 on Xbox and didn’t have near this poo poo issue at the beginning.

So, I saw The Surge was only $9.99 on sale right now, with two add-on packs being free. The game so far loving owns? The combat seems slower and much more forgiving, and the finishing moves that tear a person’s head or limb or just straight cut their torso off are incredible. Anyone play through The Surge and have any thoughts on how good it is?

Ashen is another souls-like that’s free. I tried it for an hour and the world seemed unique and cool but the combat and movement didn’t seem near refined enough for this genre of game. I’d play it if people have finished it and thought it was worth it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Set the ogre on fire. Constantly retreat back up top on the tree if you need to. It’s easy to pick off the dudes around him.

You can also sprint up behind him right away and do a ton of damage before he breaks free.

I’m a scrub at DS and Bloodborne but for some reason Sekiro is easier for me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pro strats: skip this mediocre debasement of the from formula and play shadow tower

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Play Dragon's Dogma. All other games are irrelevant.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I haven't paid attention to any xbox news since getting a PS4 instead of a Xbox One, but I got this One controller and and started looking around on the Xbox app on my PC. I can install Xbox games on my PC and play them with gamepass? That seems awesome. Ive signed up for the 14 day free trial and am downloading Crackdown 3 and Gears of War 4. Is gampass a good investment for someone who doesn't own an Xbox?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can only install games that have crossplay or whatever. I think any Microsoft game from now on will also be released on PC since the xbone pretty much just runs windows now anyway. Third party games will probably not end up on PC through game pass.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

loudog999 posted:

I haven't paid attention to any xbox news since getting a PS4 instead of a Xbox One, but I got this One controller and and started looking around on the Xbox app on my PC. I can install Xbox games on my PC and play them with gamepass? That seems awesome. Ive signed up for the 14 day free trial and am downloading Crackdown 3 and Gears of War 4. Is gampass a good investment for someone who doesn't own an Xbox?

How much do you like Forza?

But seriously the majority of the list of gamepass titles on Xbox arent on PC, but basically all MS titles are. Depending how fast you beat things it could make sense to sub in every once in a while but since youre going to miss things like how on the bone they get Monster Hunter World on gamepass and on PC you dont a lot of the service is missing for PC only people. Still its definitely a months worth of gameplay.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
there is some third party ones, not many though

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Ok, Ill play this 14 day trial and see where it goes from there. It was just surprising to see that any games were available for PC. Its really cool to be honest.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

loudog999 posted:

Ok, Ill play this 14 day trial and see where it goes from there. It was just surprising to see that any games were available for PC. Its really cool to be honest.

As mentioned a perpetual rumor* at the moment is that one of microsofts next objectives, likely in conjunction with their streaming offering, is to expand the PC selection of gamepass.

*The nobodoy has any proof its happening but should kind

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Beastie posted:

Set the ogre on fire. Constantly retreat back up top on the tree if you need to. It’s easy to pick off the dudes around him.

You can also sprint up behind him right away and do a ton of damage before he breaks free.

I’m a scrub at DS and Bloodborne but for some reason Sekiro is easier for me.

That sort of hit and run poo poo just isn't fun when you're used to souls roll/parry/fuckthemintheass gameplay.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah the Xbox app is just the new GFWL and everybody I know is confused about it, assuming it's meant solely for communicating with the console when it's more Microsoft's answer to Steam. I like that it tracks other PC games in your shared Xbox Live history (even from GOG), don't expect gamerscore of course

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's weird when I play a game on PC and the Xbox app recognizes it and people think I bought it for Xbox.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cojawfee posted:

It's weird when I play a game on PC and the Xbox app recognizes it and people think I bought it for Xbox.

If my gf is playing Pinball Arcade on her laptop and I am using the Xbox, I can see her online and it will tell me she is playing Pinball Arcade (which she plays using Steam). :tinfoil:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

That sort of hit and run poo poo just isn't fun when you're used to souls roll/parry/fuckthemintheass gameplay.

It’s one of the first bosses, so it’s nice to be able to jump up to the tree and nearby bonfire if things get out of control.

Like I said I’m a loving scrub at BB and DS but Sekiro seems easier for me. Fast travel and stealth are what makes it more accessible to me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The stealth sucks cause its so unnecessary

you shouldnt be able to just run past 90% of the game with no enemies able to touch you if you elect to not engage with stealth mechanics in a stealth game imo

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

The stealth sucks you shouldnt be able to just run past 90% of the game with no enemies able to touch you

Then don’t play a game about a Shinobi?

I get why hardcore From fans about a bit titled about Sekiro but they’re probably the most horrendous group of nerds.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im not a hardcore fan? Also there are good shinobi games with no stealth that kick rear end and you cant flee everything effortlessly

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The stealth is a mixed bag imo. Works great for hit and run tactics and is very satisfying, but it trivializes actually playing through the levels too much and makes the game feel too much like a boss rush. other From games you can play for hours before running into a boss and in Sekiro I'm usually at the next one within 15 minutes which is real frustrating when I might have spent hours trying to kill the previous boss. Just makes the game feel loving relentless.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I finally got around to trying monster hunter world last night and hot drat it’s a good game! I’ve tried over the years to get in to MonHun and bounced off because it’s so obtuse with things but drat world is great.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Is there any way to do offline updating if your console is part of the bullshit microsoft insider program? I just turned my Xbox on for the first time in a few months to watch a blu-ray and it downloads 20% of a system update then fails with an error code that takes me to this unhelpful support page. Of course I can't watch a blu-ray I physically own without internet access (?) and I can't connect to the internet without the system update (???). If I have to factory reset this garbage and spend 40 hours downloading/reinstalling everything, I will instead pack it up in its box and sell it to someone else.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
why do people who want their console to actually work ever join the insider program

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

The bigger issue is not being able to play a Blu-ray without being connected to the internet. I packed up the Xbox and plugged in my Sony player from 2015. It played the disc without being connected to the internet. Truly the world's most powerful console.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone know if Renegade Ops is BC?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
There’s an option to do a factory reset of just the OS without deleting any games or apps. Had to do that the other day when my system got stuck in a weird update loop

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bloodplay it again posted:

The bigger issue is not being able to play a Blu-ray without being connected to the internet. I packed up the Xbox and plugged in my Sony player from 2015. It played the disc without being connected to the internet. Truly the world's most powerful console.

Theres some dumbass cost saving thing where xbox doesnt pay the br dvd license fee/console unless that console tries to watch a movie and then they need to send you the codecs or whatever over the internet to get you movie to play. Its very borked

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, afaik once you downloaded it you dont need to connect to the internet again, but you have to trigger the download the first time so microsoft saves some amount of dosh across all the systems.

Id expect that to continue to the next system as well.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Theres some dumbass cost saving thing where xbox doesnt pay the br dvd license fee/console unless that console tries to watch a movie and then they need to send you the codecs or whatever over the internet to get you movie to play. Its very borked

Yeah, I downloaded that last year. The blue Blu-ray screen loads for a second then it takes me to a gray screen telling me internet access is required. I unchecked the bd live setting too just in case that was causing issues but it had no effect.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lmao if ms is only buying like a temporary license for you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Lmao if ms is only buying like a temporary license for you

Thats honestly even more brilliant.

Next system will be cartridge based, book it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

The stealth is a mixed bag imo. Works great for hit and run tactics and is very satisfying, but it trivializes actually playing through the levels too much and makes the game feel too much like a boss rush. other From games you can play for hours before running into a boss and in Sekiro I'm usually at the next one within 15 minutes which is real frustrating when I might have spent hours trying to kill the previous boss. Just makes the game feel loving relentless.

Maybe that's how they want the game to feel?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

His opinion is they hosed up doing that

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bloodplay it again posted:

(???). If I have to factory reset this garbage and spend 40 hours downloading/reinstalling everything, I will instead pack it up in its box and sell it to someone else.

Copy everything to an external drive first.

But yeah my friend is in the program and without fail will get an update pushed right in the middle of a game and he gets sidelined for an hour while it updates his console for no reason. He even has it in the always on mode too, it just decides to gently caress him over whenever we play online together. Maybe it's a region thing and he's getting pushed updates when it thinks he shouldn't be online? Either way pushing an update while someone is playing a game is fuckin stupid.

I removed myself from the program when they pushed an early update a few weeks after launch to make party chat work like it did on 360 (join party and talk to friends instead of join party > opt in to talk to friends) but it also broke the ability to join a party with anyone that wasn't on the same build. That was a fun two weeks.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I talked about maybe getting an Xbox X a bit ago and was told to wait until after E3.. I see that they are on sale on Walmart for for $379. Would you all suggest I still wait or is that a good enough deal. I already own a PS4 Pro and am just interested in the BC the Xbox has and maybe Gamepass.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

loudog999 posted:

I talked about maybe getting an Xbox X a bit ago and was told to wait until after E3.. I see that they are on sale on Walmart for for $379. Would you all suggest I still wait or is that a good enough deal. I already own a PS4 Pro and am just interested in the BC the Xbox has and maybe Gamepass.

We are what a month away from e3? I’d probably wait.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
$380 is a pretty decent deal. If you want one than just go for it. I don't imagine anything at E3 that would spur a price drop any lower than $350ish.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

$380 is a pretty decent deal. If you want one than just go for it. I don't imagine anything at E3 that would spur a price drop any lower than $350ish.

I mean if they announce the super duper Xbox xxxx or whatever like is rumored I could see them trying to clear out the x :shrug:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Ok, ill wait but I do love to throw away money. I dont really need one but that did seem like a pretty decent deal. Maybe its for a reason.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is supposedly going to be a new Xbox this year. At last years E3 Microsoft pretty much stopped just short of confirming it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

loudog999 posted:

Ok, ill wait but I do love to throw away money. I dont really need one but that did seem like a pretty decent deal. Maybe its for a reason.

You super missed out on the RDR2 deal, I got my xbonx for $200 through gamestop shenanigans.