Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

The academy very much dont care about his "transgressions", theyre like 80% sex weirds and they gave him an oscar in 2002.

A judge might care, idk if the original extradition order was stayed or what happened with all that anymore, or if he even has to go to America to testify for this dumbass lawsuit

I wasn't being serious. He'd get his rear end arrested the second his foot hits American soil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chloe Grace Moretz did an interview with The Guardian and Shadow in the Cloud came up in talks about her future films

quote:

Next in the diary is Shadow in the Cloud, a drama in which she plays a second world war fighter pilot, directed by Roseanne Liang from a script by Max Landis. In 2017, Landis was accused of sexual misconduct; today, Moretz is at pains to say that “we’ve completely distanced ourselves from him. We’ve rewritten it several times now. His name is kind of far away from the project.

“Communication is key and being held accountable is key. It’s a really horrific thing to hear those stories.”

quote:

Moretz has been here before: the other film she made post-hiatus was written by, directed and starred Louis CK. In I Love You, Daddy, she played a 17-year-old girl whose relationship with her father, played by Louis CK, becomes complicated when she starts spending time with a 68-year-old film director, played by John Malkovich.

After premiering in Toronto , the film was dropped by its distributor in November 2017 after five women accused its creator of sexual misconduct. Moretz had pulled out of promotion a fortnight before, when she first heard the allegations. She has subsequently said she hopes it will never be released.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Every time I read the synopsis of Ck's movie, I think 'wow, holy poo poo, that was film you wanted to write/direct/make/distribute? for real?'

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

Every time I read the synopsis of Ck's movie, I think 'wow, holy poo poo, that was film you wanted to write/direct/make/distribute? for real?'

Louis is a waste of talent. He's funny, he's got some skill as a writer and director....and THAT is what he chooses to do as a passion project. I've never cooled off so rapidly on someone whose work I loved as I did with Louis.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Louis is a waste of talent. He's funny, he's got some skill as a writer and director....and THAT is what he chooses to do as a passion project. I've never cooled off so rapidly on someone whose work I loved as I did with Louis.

It dovetailed perfectly well with the allegations against him becoming impossible to ignore and him admitting they were true. That timing would be suspect in a film about a creepy guy being revealed to be creepy.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I mean, just the fact that the film itself was like a transparent spectacle made about his own anxieties about being an artist influenced by Woody Allen and making it about a quasi-incestuous love triangle with a father trying to make his daughter not date a very old famous dude. It was clearly, deliberately written, like a lot of his later stuff on Louie, to goad growing popular anxieties over sexism and sexual misconduct and minimize it. Frankly, his embarrassment could not have come at a better time, nor could it have had a more just outcome short of actual criminal repercussions. It was the peak of his delusions of creative grandeur, his critical lionization, and his being outed as a hypocritical scumbag just completely bulldozes any of that virtually overnight.

People talk about "canceling" being useless, symbolic language - but, to be fair, in that case, public shaming totally worked to "cancel" a movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Public shaming can be extremely effective in the right context and arena, against the right person. But it can't be the only tool you have despite it being satisfying and addicting. It also requires a requisite critical mass of accusations that have become impossible to dismiss.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Public shaming can be extremely effective in the right context and arena, against the right person. But it can't be the only tool you have despite it being satisfying and addicting. It also requires a requisite critical mass of accusations that have become impossible to dismiss.

A lot of it depends on how damning the charges are and how self aware that person is. For instance, I've heard some gross stuff about Trump that broadcast news wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, namely that he and some other guy raped a 13 year old in the 90's; but the mitigating factors are many. For instance, the girl is supposedly terrified to go public (who could blame her?), plus retroactive rape cases can be tough to prove (fairly sure the only reason Cosby got tagged is that he was a serial predator), and Trump's so lacking in basic human decency that even if they had a strong case he'd fight it like an innocent man.

It'd be kind of rich to see him fry though considering how, even after exoneration, he maintained the Central Park 5 were guilty.

I think one of the main differences with Louis is that he knew it was coming (after I believe Jen Kirkman pseudo outed him, although she was smart enough to not use his name), he knew he hosed up, and while his actions after it blew over would suggest it's in limited supply, he has SOME self awareness, insomuch as he knew issuing a public apology was a good idea, he knew to shut the gently caress up for a while (albeit not long enough).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 21, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Having seen the film, in the end the John Malkovich character ends up ignoring Chloe Grace Moretz when he gets bored with her, so it turns out he was just a womanizer looking for easy prey after all. But over the course of the whole movie everyone around the main character tells him to let his daughter make her own decisions and stop having hangups about her growing sexuality and the movie seems to frame these people as being right and the main character as wrong, so combined together the message I got out of it was "yes there are creeps out there looking to use young impressionable women, but your 17 year old daughter should be allowed to find this out on her own" or something like that.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

K. Waste posted:

I mean, just the fact that the film itself was like a transparent spectacle made about his own anxieties about being an artist influenced by Woody Allen and making it about a quasi-incestuous love triangle with a father trying to make his daughter not date a very old famous dude. It was clearly, deliberately written, like a lot of his later stuff on Louie, to goad growing popular anxieties over sexism and sexual misconduct and minimize it. Frankly, his embarrassment could not have come at a better time, nor could it have had a more just outcome short of actual criminal repercussions. It was the peak of his delusions of creative grandeur, his critical lionization, and his being outed as a hypocritical scumbag just completely bulldozes any of that virtually overnight.

People talk about "canceling" being useless, symbolic language - but, to be fair, in that case, public shaming totally worked to "cancel" a movie.

I'll always be happy it all timed out the way it did with CK. My favorite is Tig Notaro literally publicly calling him out to come forward and address these rumors honestly, and then two months later it all came out. It was such an open secret you could feel the bubbling anger from women comics towards him about it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CK could have gotten out of it much easier if he handled it better.

The original rumors actually were actually somewhat false (the "he stopped them from leaving" stuff is still in the public consciousness, even now, and colors how people see what happened) and he was right to deny them. But instead of saying right then and there that "I got consent at the time, and have a fetish and didn't understand the power differential that informs how consent works, am sorry, and have not done anything like that since," like he did in his letter - he just denied and ignored it, which made everything worse. I guess he figured it would just blow over, but it was a bad move, just like his attempt at a comeback. He seems like he just makes a lot of idiotic decisions around this whole thing, which explains why he would have taken nervous "yes, because I think you're joking" as an excuse to pull his dick out.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Darko posted:

CK could have gotten out of it much easier if he handled it better.

The original rumors actually were actually somewhat false (the "he stopped them from leaving" stuff is still in the public consciousness, even now, and colors how people see what happened) and he was right to deny them. But instead of saying right then and there that "I got consent at the time, and have a fetish and didn't understand the power differential that informs how consent works, am sorry, and have not done anything like that since," like he did in his letter - he just denied and ignored it, which made everything worse. I guess he figured it would just blow over, but it was a bad move, just like his attempt at a comeback. He seems like he just makes a lot of idiotic decisions around this whole thing, which explains why he would have taken nervous "yes, because I think you're joking" as an excuse to pull his dick out.

Well, yeah, confessing and admitting to wrongdoing is always going to be morally better than denying until the accusations become impossible to deny. And Louis C.K apparently actively tried to silence his harassment victims from speaking out. That’s what makes him a scumbag maybe even more so than just whipping it out without consent.

There’s a big difference between “Doing something bad and stopping because you’ve been made to realize how bad it is” and “Doing something bad and stopping because you can no longer get away with it.”

If he had been a gross sexual harasser who may have legitimately been so clueless that he didn’t realize how much his behavior disturbed people, and stopped once confronted, that would be a very very different situation. But we know that isn’t the case.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 21, 2019

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
There was also the whole calling someone on the phone and jerking off on the other end thing. That goes way beyond not understanding how power informs consent /misconduct or “not reading signals.” That’s straight up deviant predatory behavior.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

K. Waste posted:

There was also the whole calling someone on the phone and jerking off on the other end thing. That goes way beyond not understanding how power informs consent /misconduct or “not reading signals.” That’s straight up deviant predatory behavior.

Yep, there’s pretty much multiple things that confirm Louis C.K. as a genuine predatory creep and not just some guy who went too far with his fetishes and didn’t understand the extent of his power.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
his show sucked anyway

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

his show sucked anyway

There were really good episodes scattered through, and they were, ironically, the more serious ones. The flashback to his awful Catholic upbringing was good.

I haven't watched it since he was outed as a creep, or even for a few years, at that.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

There were really good episodes scattered through, and they were, ironically, the more serious ones. The flashback to his awful Catholic upbringing was good.

That one was good, but it was all Tom Noonan.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The show was good for a while then it got incredibly long winded and self satisfied.

Like the rest of his output.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sucrose posted:

Well, yeah, confessing and admitting to wrongdoing is always going to be morally better than denying until the accusations become impossible to deny. And Louis C.K apparently actively tried to silence his harassment victims from speaking out. That’s what makes him a scumbag maybe even more so than just whipping it out without consent.

There’s a big difference between “Doing something bad and stopping because you’ve been made to realize how bad it is” and “Doing something bad and stopping because you can no longer get away with it.”

If he had been a gross sexual harasser who may have legitimately been so clueless that he didn’t realize how much his behavior disturbed people, and stopped once confronted, that would be a very very different situation. But we know that isn’t the case.

Yes, it was his manager or publicist who came out and admitted that he helped Louis by working to blackball any women who tried to out him. He knew exactly what he was doing and his “apology” was always a fake.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

That one was good, but it was all Tom Noonan.

This is true of basically anything with Tom Noonan. Dude's a worker.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Alan Smithee posted:

his show sucked anyway

It's come up in this thread before, but I hate this take. Why should the quality of his work have anything to do with how horrible a creep Louis CK is? Bill Cosby was hilarious, it doesn't make him any less of a monster.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A lot of it depends on how damning the charges are and how self aware that person is. For instance, I've heard some gross stuff about Trump that broadcast news wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, namely that he and some other guy raped a 13 year old in the 90's; but the mitigating factors are many.

That was definitely reported by multiple outlets. There was a lawsuit, a cancelled press conference, etc. during the election.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/04/donald-trump-teenage-rape-accusations-lawsuit-dropped
https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-teen-jane-doe-rape-accuser-disappears-again
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2016/11/woman-who-accused-trump-of-raping-her-at-13-drops-suit.html
https://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/donald-trump-rape-accuser-lawsuits-230647

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

enki42 posted:

It's come up in this thread before, but I hate this take. Why should the quality of his work have anything to do with how horrible a creep Louis CK is?

Because people want to believe their media consumption counts as political and social action.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 22, 2019

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
As a fan of the Onion and other similar outlets, I love the fake news segments from Louis' show. The rest can be safely abandoned to the dustbin of history, but I will never forget Hurricane Jasmine Forsythe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc4tfdMUWIo

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am sure we can debate the quality of Louis' show for eons, but this scene had me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. And then with all of the revelations, it just reaches a whole new level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQpM_2-hx4

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Anyone got some Cosby bits they wanna post?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Krankenstyle posted:

Cosby with kids talking about a woman
https://youtu.be/6ptlxOMi4Ak
:baby:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Krankenstyle posted:

This didn't need the editing to be O_O.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpmD1SY1mr0

Like do you think he even had a moment in his own mind when filming this?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Krankenstyle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWUBnrIaphQ

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm on the phone but I'm guessing people are posting his roofie routines.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Indeed, with the suit being dropped after the people were allegedly threatened.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1120700101331161089

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

https://theblast.com/disney-winnie-pooh-jim-cummings-rape-animal-abuse-custody/

Jesus. If even a quarter of this is true.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I don't want to say it isn't true, but it's weird this behavior only happened after their divorce and not during the 10 years they were married.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Am I reading things incorrectly or was his ex angry she wasn't invited to the Christopher Robin premiere even after the alleged abuse?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Egbert Souse posted:

Am I reading things incorrectly or was his ex angry she wasn't invited to the Christopher Robin premiere even after the alleged abuse?

She says it was an unhealthy, codependent relationship that doesn’t seem weird to me

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Egbert Souse posted:

He says that's the reason she's accusing him of these things.

Again, I don't want to say she's lying, but it would have been helpful if the reporters at least attempted to verify anything. She apparently called the cops and at one point a deputy had to pull out his gun, there should be some sort of paper trail.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Again, I don't want to say she's lying, but it would have been helpful if the reporters at least attempted to verify anything. She apparently called the cops and at one point a deputy had to pull out his gun, there should be some sort of paper trail.

It is worth noting that he admits to at least some of it but frames it as "we were just having a good time," which is something we've heard a whole lot from harassers and victims.

(That said her sex-worker-shaming is pretty crappy and has nothing to do with the other allegations.)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, the cop would definitely report an altercation with a rich old white guy, and do all the paperwork that entails. Definitely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah, the cop would definitely report an altercation with a rich old white guy, and do all the paperwork that entails. Definitely

You can verify if a phone call was made to the police, that should be public record. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm saying the reporter should have maybe made at least one phone call to check.