Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Shamino posted:

It's $1800 for a 10 year old Prius to get new batteries at 150,000-200,000 miles. It's not a huge amount of money.

That's not too bad. I'd heard figures closer to 4500 usd for a dealer to swap out newer model year packs. Hell, even the 20 year old Honda Insights cost around 2000 usd for a new battery pack.

I mean, you'd still be wise to account for the evetual cost of battery replacement. But that doesn't negate the ecological or financial benefits of owning an ev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Oh yeah. Paying more to advertise a product is a very boomer thing

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

carry on then posted:

When Sun City was getting started it was zoned into a school district which meant they paid taxes to fund it. It also meant they were eligible to vote on district funding measures. So they proceeded to completely strangle the schools by stonewalling any spending whatsoever, until the district agreed not to include them so they couldn't vote them dry.

...and that's where she moved to.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Rad-daddio posted:

If I'm not mistaken, battery pack maintainenece and replacement is somerhing you have to factor into owning an ev.

EVs are coming out with 10 year warranties on the battery.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rad-daddio posted:

That's not too bad. I'd heard figures closer to 4500 usd for a dealer to swap out newer model year packs. Hell, even the 20 year old Honda Insights cost around 2000 usd for a new battery pack.

I mean, you'd still be wise to account for the evetual cost of battery replacement. But that doesn't negate the ecological or financial benefits of owning an ev.

I got a 05 Prius for $4000 a few years ago and the hybrid battery costs around ~1500 to replace at a local shop - one local shop that specializes in hybrids will replace the individual cells and rebalance them for like $100/each, saving you the cost of buying an entire new battery

Never go to a dealer for anything outside what’s covered by warranty or a recall

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

EugeneJ posted:

I got a 05 Prius for $4000 a few years ago and the hybrid battery costs around ~1500 to replace at a local shop - one local shop that specializes in hybrids will replace the individual cells and rebalance them for like $100/each, saving you the cost of buying an entire new battery

Never go to a dealer for anything outside what’s covered by warranty or a recall

This for real. I have a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid. The hybrid battery was dying so I went to the dealer and they wanted $3400 to switch it, tried to get me to talk to one of their sales reps about trading it in right then and there. I went home instead and found a place locally that did it for $2000. Still stupid expensive, but almost $1400 cheaper than what Honda wanted.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

ikanreed posted:

Also an extended payment schedule on cheap plastic trash (Just $73/mo!!).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shamino posted:

Also an extended payment schedule on cheap plastic trash (Just $73/mo!!).

How else will all your friends remember to shout "where's the salt! Where's the goddamned salt!"?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

vyst posted:

Revenge of the Nerds was cruel because it gave unwashed nerds hope they would end up with the hot cheerleader one day

Revenge of the Nerds is proto-incel if anything. One of the nerds is an actual rapist.

Michael Corleone posted:

Do kids in school today not have to cover their books or something? Also, brown bags were cool, but the neon colored plastic adhesives were the best book covers.

When I was in high school most people didn't. A few people had those stretchy book covers but other than that I don;t recall seeing anyone cover their books. Like with everything else the school had a severe case of not giving a gently caress. This was the early 2000s. I guess it's possible that if you're not in a big lovely public school it's different.

Iron Crowned posted:

How else will all your friends remember to shout "where's the salt! Where's the goddamned salt!"?

In an emergency the hot tub can be made into a giant communal margarita.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Barudak posted:

Wait is this what those book covers were for they sold when I was a kid? To stop kids scribling on the covers? Thats the dumbest poo poo

it was one of those clever workaround examples of teachers/schools facing cut funding and trying to make due. its always funny to see boomers take credit for something that was the fault of greedy voters who didn't want to see a tax increase for local school funds, but by god, you gotta make my slice of the pie bigger.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Ape Fist posted:

Also, Boomers suffering collective brain aneurysms and somehow believing they were all in World War 2 by noting the collective achievements of the previous generation in defeating European Fascism as something 'We' (see: they) did and therefore shut up anyone under 40.

“My daddy was a war hero and ran a tight ship growing up, so I basically count as a wwii vet.”

Greatest Generation types were pretty great. My grandparents grew their own vegetables, often complained about how wasteful society had become, and distrusted big business far more than big government. On the other hand, my grandfather was also furious about desegregation, but so was every other white guy in his town.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

inkajoo posted:

I will never understand it.

FWIW, I was a kid in the 1980s, and quite literally every house I ever went into as a kid throughout that decade had at least one piece of wicker rattan furniture. It was in vogue from the late-'70s to the mid-'80s. I'm sure the Boomers just bought said furniture in 1981 and never replaced it because "it's still good."

Those same boomers still have macramé plant holders, too, I guaran-loving-tee it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

You Are A Elf posted:

FWIW, I was a kid in the 1980s, and quite literally every house I ever went into as a kid throughout that decade had at least one piece of wicker rattan furniture. It was in vogue from the late-'70s to the mid-'80s. I'm sure the Boomers just bought said furniture in 1981 and never replaced it because "it's still good."

Wicker furniture is still made, but it's marketed more as outdoor furniture, which is pretty much where it belongs.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

saying 'the measles isn't that bad'

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

You Are A Elf posted:

Those same boomers still have macramé plant holders, too, I guaran-loving-tee it.

these are in style and even i've made a couple of simple ones, tho indoor plants in general are popular

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

snoo posted:

these are in style and even i've made a couple of simple ones, tho indoor plants in general are popular

Did not know they were back in style, although I always liked the ones me mudder had.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

electric can openers

You Are A Elf posted:

Did not know they were back in style, although I always liked the ones me mudder had.

they look nice imo. but i like like plants in general :3:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Boomers love arguing about how even the modest universal basic income proposed by some politicians isn't enough for anyone to live on and therefore should be scrapped. And even were it to be doubled that's "still not enough who pays for everything like insurance then???"

Ask me how my Seders went.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

What is the point of a lovely soda without caffeine??

shut up netface fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 22, 2019

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

shut up netface posted:

I never understood why diet versions are typically the only caffeine free versions.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
HEAD ON, APPLY DIRECTLY TO BOOMER FOREHEAD

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

shut up netface posted:

I can't drink caffeine leave me alone :mad:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Boomers loving love the self-checkout aisle, and they also love not knowing how to use the self-checkout aisle.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Five years ago they banned plastic disposable grocery bags in my county. If you choose, you can buy a brown paper bag for 10 cents each but no more plastic single use bags.

The wife and I bought a selection of reusable grocery bags, as well as some really nice insulated ones that keep keep stuff cold on really hot days. We keep these in our respective cars.

My loving inlaws still gripe about the law half a decade later, and absolutley refuse to buy reusable bags. They call the brown paper bags their "libtard tax".

I had fundie-type religious friends who literally called the bag ban an attack on their human rights.

mindstorm
Jan 28, 2011

Smellrose
Boomers love asking employees in a big box/warehouse store if they have some sort of special/hidden inventory for items that aren't on the floor or are sold out.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mindstorm posted:

Boomers love asking employees in a big box/warehouse store if they have some sort of special/hidden inventory for items that aren't on the floor or are sold out.

They also like asking questions about the products, as if you're getting paid commission to sell poo poo. How the gently caress should I know which of lovely TVs we carry are the best? I'm being paid barely above minimum and have no training on it.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
They like asking their servers what they should order even though the server has no idea what they like.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mindstorm posted:

"Did you find everything you were looking for"

"Well actually"

No you assholes - you are not supposed to make the cashier with a line of people go find a specific item because you were too dumb to ask a worker on the sales floor 2 minutes ago

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There are caffeine free sodas with sugar in them.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I'm gonna stand in this checkout line and ask the cashier to tell me how much money is left on all of these gift cards.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Boomers loving love the self-checkout aisle, and they also love not knowing how to use the self-checkout aisle.

Boomers love running dozens of coupons through their self-checkout aisle

Boomers love beeping through three dozen 12-packs of soda through their self-checkout aisle and not resting them in the baggage area so the attendant has to swipe them through after each 12-pack

Boomers love cutting in front of the line for the self-checkout aisle

ProperGanderPusher posted:

“My daddy was a war hero and ran a tight ship growing up, so I basically count as a wwii vet.”

Greatest Generation types were pretty great. My grandparents grew their own vegetables, often complained about how wasteful society had become, and distrusted big business far more than big government. On the other hand, my grandfather was also furious about desegregation, but so was every other white guy in his town.

Yeah I'm not going to 100% go all Brokaw about it, but they had so much more chill than boomers/silents (I think silents are worse than boomers). I had a Mexican food truck and boomers were always the worst and rudest people. Lots of "ain't ya got no reggalur tacos?" and racism and complaining about prices. GGs would never complain and loved eating the poo poo that made boomers make audible gags at like lengua and pig's feet and stuff. There was one guy who was in the Navy in the '40s who would be psyched when we'd have something that he hadn't eaten since his days of going on leave in Mexico half a century earlier, and once brought in his whole family to introduce us like he'd just adopted us.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Rad-daddio posted:

I'm gonna stand in this checkout line and ask the cashier to tell me how much money is left on all of these gift cards.

Slowly counting out a bunch of coins on the counter and slowing down the line so they can have the exact amount that something costs down to the penny and then also getting into a lengthy conversation about a stack of coupons that would only save them ten cents.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CPL593H posted:

Slowly counting out a bunch of coins on the counter and slowing down the line so they can have the exact amount that something costs down to the penny and then also getting into a lengthy conversation about a stack of coupons that would only save them ten cents.

if they weren't expired

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

PyPy posted:

Boomers do this when starting an Excel formula: +=

Yeah, I've seen these at work. We have to carry forward excel files year to year when we work on clients' tax returns, and I can guess who originally created a file based on how the previous years' files look.

On top of that, certain sum functions open up Outlook when you click on them because they include an '@' in the formula for some reason.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

ikanreed posted:

Judging by the name brands I see slapped all over everything at my college, this is definitely not limited to boomers.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah, I've seen these at work. We have to carry forward excel files year to year when we work on clients' tax returns, and I can guess who originally created a file based on how the previous years' files look.

On top of that, certain sum functions open up Outlook when you click on them because they include an '@' in the formula for some reason.

Chief McHeath posted:

Lotus 1-2-3.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

if they weren't expired

God help you if the coupons are expired.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Rad-daddio posted:

Five years ago they banned plastic disposable grocery bags in my county. If you choose, you can buy a brown paper bag for 10 cents each but no more plastic single use bags.

The wife and I bought a selection of reusable grocery bags, as well as some really nice insulated ones that keep keep stuff cold on really hot days. We keep these in our respective cars.

My loving inlaws still gripe about the law half a decade later, and absolutley refuse to buy reusable bags. They call the brown paper bags their "libtard tax".

I had fundie-type religious friends who literally called the bag ban an attack on their human rights.

i got one: bitching about how their fundamental human rights are being stripped away and then doing absolutely nothing about it instead of fighting like their lives depended on it

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

snoo posted:

I can't drink caffeine leave me alone :mad:

If you aren't drinking soda for the flavor of the sugar or the pep of the caffiene then what's even the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

sudonim posted:

If you aren't drinking soda for the flavor of the sugar or the pep of the caffiene then what's even the point

tbf if i'm drinking soda it's not usually diet but always caffeine free :angel: my bad