Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If I had to pick 30 seconds from all the marketing this movie has gotten to convince people to watch it, it would be the last 30 of this trailer; the hype is beyond unreal for this movie now. Whoever was responsible for the music choices in every single KOTM trailer is a goddamn genius, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Cythereal posted:

This might be the most hyped I've ever been for a movie.

I am 50 years old, and would have thought I was beyond getting hyped for a movie.

I was wrong. I am so hyped for this.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Holy goddamned fuckballs that's gonna be loving awesome

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

All that was missing was Godzilla struggling to get out of the water and onto the ice and Ghidorah's three heads laughing at him.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Davros1 posted:

All that was missing was Godzilla struggling to get out of the water and onto the ice and Ghidorah's three heads laughing at him.
Now I need to see Godzilla doing a seal flop into an iceberg.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Flint Ironstag posted:

I am 50 years old, and would have thought I was beyond getting hyped for a movie.

I was wrong. I am so hyped for this.

I am also 50. I remember thinking that Ghidorah in any form resembling his classic version would be kind of corny in a modern one. I'm so goddamned looking forward to this.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I am also 50. I remember thinking that Ghidorah in any form resembling his classic version would be kind of corny in a modern one. I'm so goddamned looking forward to this.

I’m 40, but this. So this. I grew up watching all the old movies and then the new ones as I got older. I’m beyond pumped for this movie and it’s so crazy. 😁🎉

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

God drat Shin Godzilla owns hard

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

This.

I thought the cheese factor would be too much. It won't be.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Flint Ironstag posted:

This.

I thought the cheese factor would be too much. It won't be.

And they didn't even change him much. Rodan got a pretty dramatic makeover (for the better) but not KG. The lack of floppy-shaky head/neck goes a long way. I'm still surprised they stuck with the stylized heads.

The more I watch how hosed up the world appears to be getting in the various trailers, I'm more and more wondering if they are going to put humanity on the brink. And durr, I'm stupid, I remembered Cranston's line in the first:

"And it's gonna send us back to the Stone Age! You have no idea what's coming."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

And they didn't even change him much. Rodan got a pretty dramatic makeover (for the better) but not KG. The lack of floppy-shaky head/neck goes a long way. I'm still surprised they stuck with the stylized heads.

The more I watch how hosed up the world appears to be getting in the various trailers, I'm more and more wondering if they are going to put humanity on the brink. And durr, I'm stupid, I remembered Cranston's line in the first:

"And it's gonna send us back to the Stone Age! You have no idea what's coming."

Apparently someone got a list of the Monarch code-names for at least some of the other kaiju thanks to the trailer:

Leviathan
Abbadon
Methuselah
Sargon
Baphomet
Kronus
Bunyip
Cipactli

No word on whether any of these is a code-name for a face familiar to Godzilla fans.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Cythereal posted:

Apparently someone got a list of the Monarch code-names for at least some of the other kaiju thanks to the trailer:

Abbadon

incoming dota 2 promotion

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

And they didn't even change him much. Rodan got a pretty dramatic makeover (for the better)

He actually didn't!

His Legendary Design is basically just Heisei Rodan, just not a lovely puppet

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Burkion posted:

He actually didn't!

His Legendary Design is basically just Heisei Rodan, just not a lovely puppet

They are bound to be similar since it's more or less a pteranodon. But side by side, new Rodan has a shorter and thicker beak and his "horns" are longer and go almost straight out the back of his head. Heisei has three smaller, sort of wavy horns. He's definitely better than the earlier incarnations, but to me, new Rodan looks a lot nastier and a more credible threat. I'm not saying that from an effects standpoint, but design. There are versions of Godzilla that, setting aside the man in the suit issue, are vicious looking monsters.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Cythereal posted:

Leviathan
Abbadon
Methuselah
Sargon
Baphomet
Kronus
Bunyip
Cipactli

No word on whether any of these is a code-name for a face familiar to Godzilla fans.
Asides from the big four throwing down, seeing Legendary's new kaiju is the second biggest draw for me. I really liked the Muto pair and the Skullcrawlers were creepy. Hoping these new titans are shown doing more than simply waking up. Long sequences are probably not going to happen, but I'd be happy with shorter scenes of them wrecking poo poo.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Also want to see how close they are to their namesakes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Can't find the post now, but in another thread, someone asked if the missing yachter at the beginning of Shin evolves into Godzilla, and someone agrees with him, but I never saw it that way.

Thoughts?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So e people have speculated that the giant spider is codenamed Baphomet. I was hoping for Kumonga.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Devil Spider is one of the ones I'm most excited to see. In the new footage, you can see what looks like a mouth at the end of a long armored neck, making it an insectoid monstrosity like the Mutos instead of an up-sized analog of some everyday bug.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Can't find the post now, but in another thread, someone asked if the missing yachter at the beginning of Shin evolves into Godzilla, and someone agrees with him, but I never saw it that way.

Thoughts?

It was on the last page but admittedly just two posts between another discussion. That was my interpretation of the movie as well though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So e people have speculated that the giant spider is codenamed Baphomet. I was hoping for Kumonga.

I wouldn't be surprised if these are the Monarch code-names for the kaiju and some of them turn out to have local names like Kumonga.

Interestingly, Edwards apparently said that the main inspiration for the design and animation for Ghidorah comes from wolves. With the three heads each with a separate brain and personality, he apparently envisioned Ghidorah as a one-kaiju wolfpack, further contributing to Ghidorah's role in the movie as a rival alpha to lead all the kaiju.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

We're getting Zilla?!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

We're getting Zilla?!

I maintain that Zilla was a cool kaiju. Terrible Godzilla, but a fine kaiju. Perhaps a smaller relative to Godzilla, in the same genetic family. The monitor lizard to Big G's komodo dragon, say.

I'd like to see a Legendary take on Zilla. She'd be a fine second-string kaiju.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zilla is the Hyena to Big G's Lion. Yes I know both are pack hunters but they're apex predators in their ecological niches and when they compete things get nasty.

Maybe Big G is a Grizzly Bear and Zilla is a wolf pack.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 22, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Thoughts?

I mean the whole things kinda vague but the fact he had an entire genome for Godzilla lends credence to him having at least some help in it's creation, like idk if I buy he literally turned into it but its a valid interpretation imo

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Zilla is the marine iguana to (Legendary) Godzilla's crocobear

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Thoughts?

I think what he did was give 'Godzilla Blob', which is what it was when he dived in, a drive and purpose.

He was, to our knowledge, the first and only land based creature that merged with the biomass, so he could have been the thing that gave the mass an actual intelligent mind and a desire to go on land, instead of just remaining in the ocean as it had.

Not as clear cut as 'he became Godzilla', more just 'became part of the whole that is Godzilla'

Kind of like how you can assume all of the people Godzilla killed were being 'reborn' at the end as those HumanoidGodzillas

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Zilla is the Hyena to Big G's Lion. Yes I know both are pack hunters but they're apex predators in their ecological niches and when they compete things get nasty.

Maybe Big G is a Grizzly Bear and Zilla is a wolf pack.

To be fair though, Legendary Big G would tear Zilla apart like tissue paper. Because he rules

Edit - am I remembering right that Zilla is pretty teeny for a kaiju?

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 22, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Barry Foster posted:

To be fair though, Legendary Big G would tear Zilla apart like tissue paper. Because he rules

Small enough to hide between Manhattan's buildings instead of towering over them

Also able to go through a building without knocking it over

54 meters/about 184 ft

The one in Final Wars was 90 meters tall and still weak as paper

Got redeemed in Rulers of Earth though

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Barry Foster posted:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

That's a really cool image.

Who's the big boi in the back? I don't remember any Big G stuff from 2017

Edit vvvvv ah got it, that'd be why I didn't know, I hear it sucks

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 22, 2019

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Barry Foster posted:

That's a really cool image.

Who's the big boi in the back? I don't remember any Big G stuff from 2017

Anime Godzilla.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla:_Planet_of_the_Monsters

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Zilla is one of the larger Godzillas around height wise, but she has considerably less mass design wise.

Also the original was killed by some basic rear end missiles and grievously wounded by mundane gunfire, so any of the smaller Gojis would tear her apart.

ToonZilla from the animated series was a far sight better though, and IDW Zilla was respectable on their own terms.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

imagine if you were on that beach

but also imagine that the anime godzilla wasn't there because those films sucked

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Stairmaster posted:

but also imagine that the anime godzilla wasn't there because those films sucked

the concept of a global-scale godzilla is so cool and was so squandered.

They even nailed that reveal in the first episode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The reveal of Anime Godzilla is literally the only good part of the film because he murders 90% of the cast with a tail swing that bisects a mountain.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Zilla was interesting in that she (?) picked New York as an ideal nesting ground, ate fish, and laid a lot of eggs with velociprator sized babies. It's like imagine a creature that reproduces somewhat like aphids, but grows to the size of buildings. A lot of Kaiju either don't seem to eat at all, or eat stuff that doesn't really explain their physical biomass ('eating' radiation for example).

Zilla seemed a little more grounded. She ate fish and laid eggs. Having her around represented a serious ecological threat, not just from knocking down buildings and stuff but from simply crowding out other life. Other Kaiju might be able to wreck one Zilla, but like Skullcrawlers there are a lot of them, and without some giant apes or weird moths to keep their numbers in check, Earth could be in trouble.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stairmaster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsLKQTh-Bqo

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I'm really easy to please, and just excited that Ghidorah is a huge golden dragon, and didn't get "reimagined"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Thoughts?

One interesting thing is that the characters never really determine any kind of "intelligent" goal that Godzilla could have. He climbs out of the ocean, runs amok and then turns back to the water. Then he comes back out and eventually they say that he's pointed in the direction of where the government is situated.

When they talk about Dr. Gori, Yaguchi basically says that he thinks Godzilla was released on Japan by Dr. Gori as some kind of test.

There's a note by the Dr. that says "do as you please" basically, which is one of the main themes of the movie when it comes to the actions of the country of Japan. By the end of the movie, the country of Japan wants to do what it wants, instead of being a subsidiary state to the USA. One of my favorite books was East of Eden by John Steinbeck and one of its main themes is the words "thou mayest" which comes from the book of genesis, and it's about god telling human's how to live and how to deal with sin.

If you read Godzilla as being a sort of "descendant" of Dr. Gori in the literary sense, then you can also say that in Shin Godzilla, God is telling humans how to live and how to deal with sin.