Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

PneumonicBook posted:

If this works I'm going to get a pixel 3 XL tomorrow.

The Verizon $300 off ended yesterday (Monday). That being said, sometimes dealers/national retail have different promos, so I could also be wrong, and obviously even $450 by itself is a great promo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Duckman2008 posted:

The Verizon $300 off ended yesterday (Monday). That being said, sometimes dealers/national retail have different promos, so I could also be wrong, and obviously even $450 by itself is a great promo.

Yea I just saw that. Oh well. My Note 8s still totally fine.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon still seems to be advertising it on the web; the Pixel 3/XL product page still shows $300 off there:

quote:

Get $300 off. No trade-in required.
Up to $1,029.99 device payment purchase required. Less $300 promo credit applied to account over 24 mos; promo credit ends if eligibility requirements are no longer met; 0% APR.

edit: I confirmed in chat that the purchase qualifies for the "Google Pixel Valentine's Day" promo. So, seems like the deals stack and provided I stick out the 2 year plan (I have no reason not to), I got a Pixel 3 XL for $150 then.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 19, 2019

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Looks like this $300 off promo stuff has started with the iPhone X.

I am torn between holding onto my dying SE (now crash-rebooting every so often in the cold because it needs a new battery) for the rest of my life or making a desperate grab for a 7, 8, or X while they're getting promos and locking into the new "small" phone for the next 3 to 4 years before I'm in the same situation with the new Iphone 15 which will be the size of a sheetpan.

Anyone think there'll be promos on the 8? I can kinda justify the extra millimeters on the X because of the screen. But ideally I'd just get a "cheap" 256 gb 8.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

el_caballo posted:

Looks like this $300 off promo stuff has started with the iPhone X.

I am torn between holding onto my dying SE (now crash-rebooting every so often in the cold because it needs a new battery) for the rest of my life or making a desperate grab for a 7, 8, or X while they're getting promos and locking into the new "small" phone for the next 3 to 4 years before I'm in the same situation with the new Iphone 15 which will be the size of a sheetpan.

Anyone think there'll be promos on the 8? I can kinda justify the extra millimeters on the X because of the screen. But ideally I'd just get a "cheap" 256 gb 8.

I think there are promos on the X because it just doesn’t sell otherwise. Anyone getting a X full price will just pay a bit more for the XS, and if you’re concerned about price you probably aren’t getting the X.

For $300 though (it’s an account offer, not everyone gets it) the X is a good buy. And you never know, but usually Verizon doesn’t put the 8 on sale now that the XR is out. Last year the 7 pretty much never went on sale.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Hi Duckman, hoping you can offer some advice. I'm currently on the "New Verizon L" 8GB plan, but my Pixel has soured me on smartphones so much I'm planning on cutting down to a basic phone. However, I can't seem to find the opportunity to pick a basic phone plan after selecting the phone I want. Before check out, my preview is still sitting at the $87 I already pay per month, which seems wild. Am I missing anything here?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Pixel was that bad? Why?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

redeyes posted:

Pixel was that bad? Why?

Foreskin Problems

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I've went through three replacements in the first year with this cursed phone and they all presented the same problems. I'm still having them, I just got tired of trying to get the phone replaced. The phone will hang while I'm using the keyboard and everything I type shoots out a few moments later. It'll restart after hanging too long. It forgets DNS settings while connected to wifi. The phone is bunk.

I look at a screen for too long a day anyway, so downgrading to a basic phone is attractive all around.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

redeyes posted:

Pixel was that bad? Why?

Google made it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Foreskin Problems posted:

Hi Duckman, hoping you can offer some advice. I'm currently on the "New Verizon L" 8GB plan, but my Pixel has soured me on smartphones so much I'm planning on cutting down to a basic phone. However, I can't seem to find the opportunity to pick a basic phone plan after selecting the phone I want. Before check out, my preview is still sitting at the $87 I already pay per month, which seems wild. Am I missing anything here?

It probably just isn’t switching to the $30 basic phone plan correctly. Go by a Verizon company store, any sales person will be glad to take 10 minutes to sell you a basic phone and switch your plan for you.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

My dad's dumb phone really is going to die once and for all (and I don't think we can even activate a backup basic phone anymore) so I sent you a DM Duckman!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eig posted:

My dad's dumb phone really is going to die once and for all (and I don't think we can even activate a backup basic phone anymore) so I sent you a DM Duckman!

Responded. I missed this part, you are correct that old dumb phones cannot be activated anymore. Just FYI they sell new ones for more a question as to what your family wants to do.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Responded. I missed this part, you are correct that old dumb phones cannot be activated anymore. Just FYI they sell new ones for more a question as to what your family wants to do.

Do those ones need a data plan though?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eig posted:

Do those ones need a data plan though?

Basic phones should not. Not sure if it gets forced to with that specific grandfathered plan, but I’ve seen it go on similar ones with no extra charge.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Duckman you’re a cool guy that may know everything-is it easy to change from a real sim to an esim on a line, no other changes?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

strangehamster posted:

Duckman you’re a cool guy that may know everything-is it easy to change from a real sim to an esim on a line, no other changes?

Thanks man, I try to know Verizon stuff and be cool.

That being said, I just don’t do online stuff often so I have no idea. However, it’s an easy switch at a company store, so I recommend you go by your local Corp store. Disclaimer: the issue tends to be employees don’t run into eSIM often, so they don’t always know how to do it. So expect it to take a little bit of time.

This causes me to say, I feel I can shout this out and say that quite a few goons here asked questions and took referrals from me, and they helped me out over 2018.

I ended up top 400 in Verizon for 2018 (out of 15,500 people), so I won some top awards stuff, so for anyone here who sent me questions or took my referral codes, thank you for checking in with me, it did make a difference.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
e: nevermind

comper fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 23, 2019

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Duckman - question for you. I switched from Verizon to ATT about 7-8 months ago for a Directv discount. That’s about to cycle and ATT sucks here compared to Verizon. I was on an older 12gb plan when I ported out. Any chance I can reactivate my old plan and service? I feel like the answer is probably no but I would love to try.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cozmosis posted:

Duckman - question for you. I switched from Verizon to ATT about 7-8 months ago for a Directv discount. That’s about to cycle and ATT sucks here compared to Verizon. I was on an older 12gb plan when I ported out. Any chance I can reactivate my old plan and service? I feel like the answer is probably no but I would love to try.

Def no way to get that plan back unfortunately. How many lines (people) on the plan)?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Can Verizon enable/use the eSIM in my Pixel XL 2?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I am about to separate from my job, and can port out my number and own outright my Pixel 2. My family is on a VZ unlimited plan, but I was considering just going to Fi to try it out. Are there any promos for porting my number in with a phone I own?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Def no way to get that plan back unfortunately. How many lines (people) on the plan)?

We had 2, but I have a third on now.

Most reasonable deal to get on Verizon's network seems to be Spectrum Mobile for us, so that's what we will likely do.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

I am about to separate from my job, and can port out my number and own outright my Pixel 2. My family is on a VZ unlimited plan, but I was considering just going to Fi to try it out. Are there any promos for porting my number in with a phone I own?

Does your company have Verizon or not? If they already have Verizon, you won’t qualify for most new customer switchers unfortunately.

Cozmosis posted:

We had 2, but I have a third on now.

Most reasonable deal to get on Verizon's network seems to be Spectrum Mobile for us, so that's what we will likely do.

Gotcha. Unlimited data now is about $25 more a month total than your old plan, possibly more if you had a work discount.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Duckman2008 posted:

Does your company have Verizon or not? If they already have Verizon, you won’t qualify for most new customer switchers unfortunately.

Ah, good to know. I will probably try Fi for a month or so then, and maybe wait for the Pixel 4 to drop. Thanks man, if/when I port in I will get your referral code from you.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Gotcha. Unlimited data now is about $25 more a month total than your old plan, possibly more if you had a work discount.

I did.. it was reasonably inexpensive and is now way more than what we were paying.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Is there a way to get the visual voicemail app pushed to an unlocked device? Every other carriers version seems to be in the play store except vzw...

nm, i went with youmail instead

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 10, 2019

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

Is there a way to get the visual voicemail app pushed to an unlocked device? Every other carriers version seems to be in the play store except vzw...

nm, i went with youmail instead

To answer your question, no, so you made the right choice.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Duckman2008 posted:

To answer your question, no, so you made the right choice.

thanks for suggesting the prepaid thing in the carrier thread, not to be cliche but people can actually hear what i say in calls now. it's nice.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey somehow I'm paying $65 per month for a 2GB plan and one line. How do I fix this? I've already tried to go elsewhere but the radio frequency on this phone or something won't work with the competitors up looked at.

The phone has been paid off for a long time.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Log in online and change your plan to one of the available ones. You can see what the new cost will be before you commit

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey somehow I'm paying $65 per month for a 2GB plan and one line. How do I fix this? I've already tried to go elsewhere but the radio frequency on this phone or something won't work with the competitors up looked at.

The phone has been paid off for a long time.

Call customer care , 611 from your phone, option 0. 2GB plan is $55 a month, 5GB is $55 if you do auto pay.

You could move to prepaid, which is $40 for 3GB. Main downside is very little customer support and few to no promos if you need to buy a new phone.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
We have two phones currently on an "M" plan: 4gb/month with carryover data for $50 $39.50/mo (21% access discount) plus $20/mo line access charge per phone.

4gb is not quite enough as we almost go over every month. I got a text offer to "double your data for an extra $10/mo". Seems like a no-brainer since the "L" plan is $20 more than "M" for the same extra 4gb. Am I missing anything or is there a better plan out there I should consider?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spf3million posted:

We have two phones currently on an "M" plan: 4gb/month with carryover data for $50 $39.50/mo (21% access discount) plus $20/mo line access charge per phone.

4gb is not quite enough as we almost go over every month. I got a text offer to "double your data for an extra $10/mo". Seems like a no-brainer since the "L" plan is $20 more than "M" for the same extra 4gb. Am I missing anything or is there a better plan out there I should consider?

Unless someone is military where you get the military discount go with that promo.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Duckman2008 posted:

Unless someone is military where you get the military discount go with that promo.
Nope, no military. Thanks! :cheers:

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
I just dropped off an Apple Watch I had bought through Verizon last week because I decided I really don't need the cellular plan with it, but I was forced into keeping the plan unless I wanted to buy the device out up front. I wouldn't mind doing this, but I'm not going to pay the price for a cellular model if I'm not going to use it. Anyway, I just unpaired the watch and dropped it off at UPS using the return label I printed from the My Verizon site.

Now my next bill has shot up $750 due to a "one-time charge" for a "device payment buyout charge".

I'm hoping someone can ease my mind that as soon as the warehouse receives my package and processes the return, that the charge will fall off right then? I really don't want to pay $750 up front and wait to be credited back later on. Thanks.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I remember looking at unlimited plans sometime last year and doing the math and discovering that they'd be more expensive for me, so I didn't pursue them further. But I'm finding myself more and more frequently using all my data in a month, so I decided to look into it again and now it looks like it might actually be cheaper? Unless I'm not reading something correctly.

I currently pay $64.40 ($70 minus a 5% access discount from my work and a 3% bonus access discount from ?????) for the 8GB large plan. Then I also pay $20 a month for "Smartphone access" for mine and my wife's phone. So, we're effectively paying $104.40 per month for both of our phones to share 8GB.

I'm not really interested in the goUnlimited plan because I don't want to be throttled just because it's busy (is that the main difference between the plans?), but it looks like the beyondUnlimited plan is $50 per line. Do I also have to pay the "Smartphone access" fees, or are those only for the non-unlimited plans? If the Smartphone access fee is eliminated, then it looks like I'd pay $100/mo for unlimited on both phones vs. the $104.40 i'm paying now for us to share 8GB. And that's not even taking into account the fact that it comes with Apple Music so I could potentially cancel my Spotify subscription.

Did I miss anything here? Would my 5% and 3% discounts just go away, or would they apply to the new costs? It seems like the unlimited cost is cheaper even than the 8GB plan with discounts, so maybe it doesn't matter. Thanks for any guidance you could give, Duckman!

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
I have the More Everything 10GB plan shared between four lines. Three of the lines are out-of-contract.

I am trying to activate a purchased (from Google, not Verizon) Pixel 3 on one of those lines.

The attached screen comes up. The line access fee jumps from $15 to $40.

But where they total the columns, the "current cost" and "new cost" are the same. (There is nothing in the added features or existing features sections)

I'm confused. If I swap phones, will my bill go up $25?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

OldSenileGuy posted:

I remember looking at unlimited plans ...
I am obviously not Duckman, but that plan is only $50/line if you have four lines. Change the slider to two lines and it’ll show $80/line. Looks like it’s basically a flat $120 plus $20/line.

As far as I know, all discounts go away on unlimited plans except for military discounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

MrCodeDude posted:

I have the More Everything 10GB plan shared between four lines. Three of the lines are out-of-contract.

I am trying to activate a purchased (from Google, not Verizon) Pixel 3 on one of those lines.

The attached screen comes up. The line access fee jumps from $15 to $40.

But where they total the columns, the "current cost" and "new cost" are the same. (There is nothing in the added features or existing features sections)

I'm confused. If I swap phones, will my bill go up $25?

What exactly are you doing on the website. Just switch out the Sim card on the current phone into the pIxel 3