Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

redneck nazgul posted:

I don't know about the coding feasibility of "new brands" or "cursed things work like this", but I feel like there's enough design space to come up with "potentially useful but deadly enough that you don't want to use it unless you're feeling lucky" solutions. I view it like eating the purple: Not optimal by any stretch of the means, but can pay off in a gamble. If it's not worth it from the developer standpoint, so be it.

I'd much rather gamble on "okay, this +3 dagger has a non-zero chance to explode on me if I hit something with it, let's see if I can find remove curse before it kills me" as opposed to "oops, I wield-ID'd a -3 short sword, time to flail ineffectively until I find remove curse".
At that point you might as well remove curses as a concept entirely(outside of Ash worship I guess), because nobody would bother with intentionally wielding a "slightly stronger than normal but definitely going to get you killed at some point" weapon. Which I'd honestly be fine with, since they really don't matter past Temple or so.

PMush Perfect posted:

I agree that, like, +0 or -1 cursed with a *Thing would be "more interesting" without being especially harder. Like a temporary malmutate but easier to remove and totally optional to take on. And hell, even then, if I found a cursed +0 Broad Axe on D1 with *Rage, I'd probably be tempted to still use it. You know, an actually interesting decision.
This doesn't sound much better, just slightly less annoying than having a -4 cursed weapon welded to you until you find remove curse and switch to a not-going-to-get-you-killed weapon. It's More Interesting, but not a fun kind of More Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Haifisch posted:

This doesn't sound much better, just slightly less annoying than having a -4 cursed weapon welded to you until you find remove curse and switch to a not-going-to-get-you-killed weapon. It's More Interesting, but not a fun kind of More Interesting.
It would be if "cursed" translated to "is highly enchanted, but also has a massive downside." Like a +7 quickblade of *GONG. On the one hand, that's really not a bad weapon. On the other hand, it really means sneaky-stabbing is no longer an option. There's an interesting strategic decision in whether it's worth speccing into hex stabber for the benefit of the awesome bonus, though, or just using it as-is, eating the gongs and hoping it'll be enough to carry you through.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

at that point you're not really making cursed weapons so much as making dangerous randarts, though

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Dunno, isn't that the meaning of your average cursed weapon in mythology? Like Muramasa's blades, which are supposed to be almost as good as it gets but so bloodthirsty they drive you crazy? Nothing wrong with that. I'd gladly lose the "sticky poo poo weapon" type of cursed weapon if the new curse mechanic was something interesting like that instead. They could still be sticky, if you'd like.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
neither the ID subgame nor the curse subgame is particularly fun imo and if both got axed with no replacement I wouldn't shed a single tear

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
So how do you cast a spell as a permabuff?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mordekai posted:

if a spell is a permabuff, it can't be cast any other way

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Mordekai posted:

You just cast it. Whether it is or isn't is inherent to the spell itself, not something you can choose

cheetah7071 posted:

neither the ID subgame nor the curse subgame is particularly fun imo and if both got axed with no replacement I wouldn't shed a single tear

I agree with this, mostly

Cardiovorax posted:

Dunno, isn't that the meaning of your average cursed weapon in mythology? Like Muramasa's blades, which are supposed to be almost as good as it gets but so bloodthirsty they drive you crazy? Nothing wrong with that. I'd gladly lose the "sticky poo poo weapon" type of cursed weapon if the new curse mechanic was something interesting like that instead. They could still be sticky, if you'd like.

There are a some unrands like this, that are pretty strong but have downsides that make them dangerous (Trog's Wrath is the first that comes to mind) and while in theory they are interesting options, in practice they are traps that are too dangerous to use unless you have something to mitigate the downside (clarity, in this case).

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 22, 2019

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

So when I cast battlesphere it is permanent?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The problem is that identification only serves to make the very early game harder when it doesn't need to be, then you can pretty safely ID everything and it only comes into play for randarts for the remaining 80% of the game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

someone awful. posted:

There are a some unrands like this, that are pretty strong but have downsides that make them dangerous (Trog's Wrath is the first that comes to mind) and while in theory they are interesting options, in practice they are traps that are too dangerous to use unless you have something to mitigate the downside (clarity, in this case).
Sure, I get that, I just don't quite follow why you think that this makes it a worse alternative to the current curse system. So maybe the stuff wouldn't be useful in the long term, but neither are cursed weapons as they are. In the early game, when options are few and far between? I would seriously consider using a powerful quickblade of BOINGGG. And by the middle game, no one cares about curses at all anymore, except for Ashenzari followers, so it's not like that would seriously change anything except to make the early game a bit more varied and interesting.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm not sure Qazlal is actually good, but it is amusing for every floor to turn into insane hellfights as things die randomly and come to check out the giant exploding storm that's always surrounding you.

Edit: Also I forgot how much I hate the shoals compared to the swamp.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 22, 2019

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Sure, I get that, I just don't quite follow why you think that this makes it a worse alternative to the current curse system. So maybe the stuff wouldn't be useful in the long term, but neither are cursed weapons as they are. In the early game, when options are few and far between? I would seriously consider using a powerful quickblade of BOINGGG. And by the middle game, no one cares about curses at all anymore, except for Ashenzari followers, so it's not like that would seriously change anything except to make the early game a bit more varied and interesting.

I mean I guess the simple answer is that it just seems like wasted effort to change a cursed item system I do my best not to interact with into a different cursed item system I'd go out of my way to not interact with v:shobon:v

Like I'm already hella wary of wield-IDing in case of Distortion brand; adding even more things like that would just make me never wield an unidentified enchanted weapon, ever

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 22, 2019

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think my main issue is that the punishment for recklessness shouldn't be flavorless tedium, which -SL/-AC equip is; they make you just flat weaker, and unlike *Tele or -Stealth don't actually change how the game plays, don't create any new situations, don't make you think of specific things that'd not be worth doing otherwise, but might be worth the risk now (like looking for resist to cover the --Fr Cursed +5 Sabre has), nothing.

If there can't be consensus on if there's ways of making cursed weapons more interesting, I'd still vote for removing them altogether.

If we were making them more meaningful (as in, with actual upsides to balance off the hazards/downsides), we might actually make Remove Curse rarer (yes, rebalance Ashen if we do) and make the primary means of getting rid of the curse bit more involved, like making each cursed weapon ask for blood of a very specific (but perhaps perfectly generic) mook that's 3 floors deeper and it'd tell you, like "This +5 Longsword of *Rage won't let go of you until you avenge its previous holder by slaying a particular 2 Headed Ogre on D:8"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

someone awful. posted:

I mean I guess the simple answer is that it just seems like wasted effort to change a cursed item system I do my best not to interact with into a different cursed item system I'd go out of my way to not interact with v:shobon:v

Like I'm already hella wary of wield-IDing in case of Distortion brand; adding even more things like that would just make me never wield an unidentified enchanted weapon, ever
Well, you kind of interact with the curse system in some way by default, even if just by going to the effort of avoiding them, but I get your point.

The thing from my perspective is simply that curses are fairly deeply integrated into the gameplay, if only in the form of Ashenzari - who would basically become 90+% obsolete in his entirety if the ID/curse mechanic was removed. Since something has to be done with it and I think the suggestion was good, it would be a waste of a good idea to not at least consider it.

Unless we want to roll Ash back out of the game and get rid of ID/curse entirely, but I think it's not enough of an active nuisance to deserve that.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Teal posted:

My issue with cursed poo poo early on that -AP and -Slay is just super boring and your punishment for id-eq a lovely one is "ha, the game will be SLOW AND TEDIOUS if you don't give up".

Could they instead just use the randart negative trait pool (and in case of the particularly bad ones, come with actual +Slay or a brand, as some sort of micro-randart?)

I mean stuff like Noisy, *Rage, *Tele, *Slow and such (stuff that could be expanded on).

"You pick up a sword, it's just extra poo poo at killing things, but you can't drop it" is fun neither gameplay nor flavor wise. "You pick up a sword and it screams loudly as you try to stab people" would be lot less of a bummer.

this is exactly the sort of change that would get a long-winded refusal from trunk due to concerns about the theoretical optimal man, which means it should be implemented

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Teal posted:

I think my main issue is that the punishment for recklessness shouldn't be flavorless tedium

It's a simple risk and reward punishment mechanic. It creates situations that are not tedious at all, in fact suddenly fights turn into life and death struggles. Suddenly you are pulling back frilled lizards into corridors. My last game I was wearing a cursed robe and found fire dragon scales on D3. The pressure to play well until I found rcurse was intense.

I'm not opposed to say taking out half the cursed items and replacing say a -2 axe with a +2 axe with an undesirable ego. *slow, *confuse, *corr, -tele, *tele, minus to stats, all those are cool. Contam and Drain seem a little mean as contam can straight up kill you and drain can take your starting skills down to 0.

fool_of_sound posted:

The problem is that identification only serves to make the very early game harder when it doesn't need to be, then you can pretty safely ID everything and it only comes into play for randarts for the remaining 80% of the game.

The landscape of my early game is often radically different when I get a glut of IDs or when I am starved for them. This creates a lot of variance in the early game that interacts with other elements of the RNG that are also more profound in the early game. It creates situations of feast and famine with remove curse and ID scrolls which generate novelty, it forces interesting choices with meaningful results (do I ID that amulet or that 5 stack of potions, do I waste an ID on this broad axe or just put it on because I've only found 2 IDs in 5 level), and yes it's an integral part of what makes the first levels challenging. It also often comes into play if you are using a gifting diety or have poor RNG. I had 2 IDs left so I put on a ring that turned out to be *drain, made that level of Vaults interesting. It's even an interesting part of running Ziggurats.

The game start is supposed to be a time of exploration and discovery, where you don't know what anything is and you're lost and alone in this strange dungeon. Taking this away makes things more boring and gives the player fewer choices. There's no anticipation, no moment of suspense, when you find a new runed weapon or armor and wonder what it might be. I don't mind that people find it annoying and I understand. I'd be fine with adding a scholar class or something that has a ton of IDs, starting gear is easy to do, maybe if we make a new charms book that could be the book start. Starting with Ash is another option although that would probably be unbalancing for many races, gnolls particularly.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 22, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Contam and Drain seem a little mean as contam can straight up kill you and drain can take your starting skills down to 0.
Yeah, that's a valid caveat. If this kind of thing is implemented, it should probably be an abridged list of the possible negative egos, because something that can actively kill you if you don't find a ?oRC fast enough is even worse than anything the current system does.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
hey should we steal this setup https://github.com/crawl/crawl/tree/d21de941a6dd3a5a2e8e7db5b89d120f795ede6a/crawl-ref/source/dat/species

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I'm stealing it when I finally finish with features and play catch up on bugfixes from trunk, because it's going to be the way future trunk species are formatted and I would prefer not to have to hand copy them over to an older implementation.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

In the main branch how was which zealot classes remain and which are pruned chosen anyways?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gorelab posted:

In the main branch how was which zealot classes remain and which are pruned chosen anyways?

Berserker stayed for new players, Chaos Knight stayed as a way to verify players who go Xom can prove they stayed Xom the whole game (or at least had to survive low-level wrath of Xom, which is the same thing), and Abyss Knight stayed since starting in the Abyss is unique and Lugonu would otherwise have little to no worshippers over Jiyva as a non-Temple god.

All the others were pruned for the reason that you could just worship them in Temple and starting with them just meant one less decision/milestone to make. The same case could be made for removing Berserker as well, but the dev team overrules the pro players on that solely so new players have something easy and familiar to understand.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
RIP. Got a helmet in my crate as a demonspawn archaeologist, and I have horns.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's the problem of generating the artifact in the box prior to it actually being opened. :v:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So worth abandoning shields for this?
pre:
the +12 triple crossbow "Akoblip" {speed, *Corrode rN+ MR+ Int+4}

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Anything with corrode is untrustworthy. :colbert:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Oh man...+12 speed triple crossbow is pretty fancy and I don't think I could resist.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's like throwing a giant spiked club from the edge of LOS.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Araganzar posted:

So worth abandoning shields for this?
pre:
the +12 triple crossbow "Akoblip" {speed, *Corrode rN+ MR+ Int+4}

I'd abandon anything for this

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's like throwing a giant spiked club from the edge of LOS.

With PP and archery it was like throwing a slightly faster +28/+16 giant spiked club. Barachian so LOS is basically orbital laser.

Jon Joe posted:

I'd abandon anything for this

Barachi are terrible but turns out you can win one if you get Wyrmbane and a bazooka. Absolutely the best ranged weapon I've ever seen.

pre:
araganzar the Sniper (Barachi Archaeologist)       Turns: 60351, Time: 03:34:12

Health: 210/230    AC: 50    Str: 25    XL:     27
Magic:  27/27      EV: 15    Int: 32    God:    Yredelemnul [******]
Gold:   4051       SH:  3    Dex:  9    Spells: 15/50 levels left

rFire    + . .     SeeInvis +   b - +12 triple crossbow "Akoblip" {speed, *Corrode rN+ MR+ Int+4}
rCold    + + .     Gourm    .   (shield currently unavailable)
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   C - +10 plate armour "Vesmaov" {rF+ Str+3}
rPois    .         Spirit   .   L - +2 hat
rElec    +         Reflect  +   I - +5 cloak "Bopatie" {rN+ MR+ Int+6}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   X - +2 pair of gloves {archery}
MR       +++++     Rnd*Rage +   s - +2 pair of boots
Stlth    ..........             T - amulet of Kyohem {Reflect rC++ rN+ MR+ SH+3 Stlth-}
HPRegen  1.48/turn              q - ring of Lilacs {Wiz rElec Int+4 Dex-2}
MPRegen  0.20/turn              l - ring of Kumobb {rElec rC- MR+ SInv Stlth+}
Took most of Zot to get to 26 skill. Worth it. 2 OOF, 5 Ancient Liches, and assorted others on the screen at once, just hid behind bone dragons and used haste + portal projectile. 2.5 attacks a turn with haste, pew pew pew but each pew your subwoofer kicks like you're watching John Wick.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
portal projectile basically turns it into the remote for an orbital weapons platform

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

I'm sold on gooncrawl. I really am. I actually like trunk and I have played a lot since .21, but this is really fun! Thanks Floodkiller.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Dammit, I got my FDCj to the orb run and then got ambushed by a pan lord who appeared right next to me. Orb delay on teleport sealed my doom.

Dying in the late game always sucks so much.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
It's crazy how rElec is basically a requirement as far as I'm concerned. As someone who just lost a great character on Elf:2, the damage you take without it is staggeringly high. And after having a run go tits up on me because of it, I think *corrode is probably the worst malus you can get on an artifact.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Deep Elf Annihiliator can fire off 3d20 Lightning bolts which is on par with other enemies Fireball/Bolt of Fire in that same HD range. Deep Elf Mage are only throwing out 3d17 versions of elemental spells and Deep Elf Sorceror's are capable of 3d18 Corrosive Bolts.

It's just that the damage can be swingy. The first example can damage you anywhere from 3 to 60 damage, unresisted versus 1 to 20, resisted (the same as two pips of fire/cold resistance).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You will get swarmed in Crawl, almost certainly, and if you’re a ranged character with a corroding weapon, it will kill you.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 23, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

Dammit, I got my FDCj to the orb run and then got ambushed by a pan lord who appeared right next to me. Orb delay on teleport sealed my doom.

I wasn't screwing around when I said you need Disjunction for the Orb run. With delayed tport, no cblink, and low HP FD are not really geared for a tough orb run without escape.

Don't take skills past 26 (really past 24) without a good reason. The last few levels are quite expensive. Skipping level 26 to 27 in either Conjurations or Spellcasting would have let you hit level 16 in both Necromancy and Translocations which would have given you access to Disjunction and Borgnor's Revivification. You can also stop your Dodging training once you top 31 EV or so.

Make sure you examine every Pan Lord. See what they are vulnerable too and what they have high resists against. If they aren't fast just haste up and walk away. If they are in Melee range or are very fast Disjunct and walk away or Disjunct and fog to gain distance until Tport kicks in. Only attack if you have distance and a resist advantage.

Wearing the Fire ring and Harm was what killed you, I think. You were fighting a Pan Lord with Glaciate and you had absolutely no cold resist and harm so you were taking maybe 2-3 times the damage you should have been. I know people love harm for casters but I think it's basically an extended suicide pact.

You also want at least 12-15 evocation for Zot and the orb run for staff of energy. You run the risk of getting caught with your pants down on the orb run when you have 2 spawns close together otherwise.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Araganzar posted:

Barachi are terrible
I will destroy you.

Admittedly, they're only truly good when they're Cheibriados worshippers because the downsides are covered by one-another's upsides (At-will controlled blink, slouch, good enough stats to use all those great aptitudes at the same time).

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Barachi is one of the easier races I've played. Their high skill aptitudes in just about anything you care to do more than makes up for being slow, and hop is Really Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Is it true that malmutate now only drains stats?