Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
welp, there goes 5 years of blankness on my resume

loving Larry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://twitter.com/hardmaru/status/1120255078219149312

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Winkle-Daddy posted:

probably not tbh

lol

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
nazi punks gently caress off

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
i didn't choose the title it was changed by the mods

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Love 2 wear paintings on my crotch in our dystopian future

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rufus Ping posted:

i didn't choose the title it was changed by the mods

what a strange title. i dont think theres nazis on these forums

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

obstipator posted:

sure there's not, guy i only remember because of that time you got made fun of by lowtax for unironically using the term "social justice warrior"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

obstipator posted:

get out of this thread

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
it's a good thread title

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

neutral milf hotel posted:

it's a good thread title

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Love 2 wear paintings on my crotch in our dystopian future

I always figured this sort of thing worked on facial recognition but apparently it's all about the crotch these days

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
the intent to crime develops in the gonads

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

neutral milf hotel posted:

it's a good thread title

(it's fine i just couldn't resist the setup)

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/mattcarthy/status/1120641557886058496

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
In other news, apparently apple is using facial recognition in their stores storing people's faces, and then using it to press charges on shoplifters regardless of the match being good or not:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/04/23/teen-sues-apple-billion-blames-facial-recognition-stores-his-arrest/

If that had been a black person they would have been just executed on the spot.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shame Boy posted:

sure there's not, guy i only remember because of that time you got made fun of by lowtax for unironically using the term "social justice warrior"

his most recent one was him using npc lol

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747
I want to be a computer safety big boy, any advice on what to do after I get all my certifications?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Apathy420 posted:

I want to be a computer safety big boy, any advice on what to do after I get all my certifications?

read your username and realize that is the exact reaction everyone else has to "computer security"

Stabby McDamage
Dec 11, 2005

Doctor Rope

Rufus Ping posted:

in theory this isnt a dealbreaker (antirez's tcp idle scan) but yea i dont see how it would work here, or anywhere else for the past 20 years

Hadn't heard of that, thanks.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Celexi posted:

In other news, apparently apple is using facial recognition in their stores storing people's faces, and then using it to press charges on shoplifters regardless of the match being good or not:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/04/23/teen-sues-apple-billion-blames-facial-recognition-stores-his-arrest/

whoa thats cool
how long have they been doing that?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

the article says that apple responded to a request for comment saying they don’t use this technology

while I’m sure they have security - normally if you steal from a store they don’t get to hunt down and select persons for prosecution, that’s on the investigative agency

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Celexi posted:

the thief used the person’s stolen ID there isn’t any facial recognition involved at all?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Trabisnikof posted:

the thief used the person’s stolen ID there isn’t any facial recognition involved at all?

quote:

His attorney told The Washington Post that the permit may have been presented as identification at an Apple store, erroneously connecting Bah’s name with the thief’s face in the company’s security system. That means every time the perpetrator walked into an Apple store, his face would register as Bah, the attorney said.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

quote:

The company declined to comment on the lawsuit itself; it would say only that it doesn’t use such technology in its stores.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
new York learner permits have photos though?

and if you have a non photo license who would you show it to at an Apple store? and how would that get fed to cross country Apple store facial recognition software?

gently caress it if he gets a billion I wonder if he will give me 10 million

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

swedish retail chain ICA's supplier of toilet paper has been hacked, so they cant supply any lol

TheFluff posted:

det här är inte riktigt den cyberpunkdystopin jag hade väntat mig

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

swedish retail chain ICA's supplier of toilet paper has been hacked, so they cant supply any lol

But it is the one we deserve

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
https://www.warbyparker.com/pd/instructions

supposedly the site is a legit optician but lol at this perfect-for-phishing process

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

they have to be legit, they advertise on podcasts! not just anyone can do that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

warby parker is legit but lol who authorized that

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

warby parker is legit but lol who authorized that

i'm sure they just went "hey app company, can you make us an app that sees what kind of glasses you need? thanks" and literally every app designer i know would come up with a solution like that without even thinking twice about how stupid it is

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that reminds me, we once had a customer that demanded the ability to log in (over the network!) using just their badges and no password or anything else. no problem, they must be smart card badges and we can just use PKI right?

lol no, they're laminated cardstock from a laser printer with a barcode on them, and the barcode encodes the username and nothing else. they'd been using these for years and couldn't understand why we had such a problem with the whole thing. :thumbsup:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Krankenstyle posted:

shared with a swedish friend and wanted to share the reply

quote:

what's next, hacking my rear end?
good luck, I'm wearing 7 pants

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shame Boy posted:

that reminds me, we once had a customer that demanded the ability to log in (over the network!) using just their badges and no password or anything else. no problem, they must be smart card badges and we can just use PKI right?

lol no, they're laminated cardstock from a laser printer with a barcode on them, and the barcode encodes the username and nothing else. they'd been using these for years and couldn't understand why we had such a problem with the whole thing. :thumbsup:

lol wow

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jewel posted:

shared with a swedish friend and wanted to share the reply

next thread title found

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Winkle-Daddy posted:

hell yeah, back to working on infosec software after a year and a half at Oracle getting my rear end kicked working on boring non-infosec trash! I missed poo poo posting with you guys.

*and gals. Welcome back to the horrible mess that is MVP + The Internet.

Rufus Ping posted:

in theory this isnt a dealbreaker (antirez's tcp idle scan) but yea i dont see how it would work here, or anywhere else for the past 20 years

Do firewall devices still increment IPID serially?

Apathy420 posted:

Start at OWASP.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 24, 2019

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shame Boy posted:

the client..... doesn't understand poo poo about anything ???

thats good tho

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

CmdrRiker posted:

Do firewall devices still increment IPID serially?
it's been ongoing research (mostly inferred via spook leaks with their on-wire advantage) and 35c3 had a talk on abusing it in the wild for detecting censorship:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Censored Planet: a Global Censorship Observatory by Roya Ensafi (56:04)
- talk is mostly about rediscovering how to abuse a sequential id in ip packets to infer connectivity between 2 uncontrolled machines. then it moves onto abusing open dns resolvers. certainly some strange ethics tests involved, and seems to be ignoring legal issues. i'd go on but it's strange how for the talk about adversarial research little seems to be done on pitfalls in the data collection and likely poisoning the sources listed. q&a brings this up, but the answers don't inspire confidence.
let's be real the old devices being abused for this are going to be related to bank infrastructure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

graph posted:

the client..... doesn't understand poo poo about anything ???

thats good tho

but their "security guy" said it was fine, so it's fine!