Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What's this all about?

Star Trek: 25th Anniversary is an adventure that was released in 1992. It remains pretty faithful to the TV series in style and most of the main cast reprise their roles and voice the characters in the game too. The game puts you in charge of Kirk on the Enterprise (NC-1701,) as well as during away missions in various locations. On the Enterprise, you take command on the bridge and are in control of a variety of functions including tactical combat, communication and navigation. The away missions are a point and click adventure and there away multiple ways to progress through each one.

This, and Judgement Rites (Which I hope to LP after this,) are two of my all-time favourite adventure games from my youth. I'm going to be having a lot of fun with this LP.

LP details

The missions in this game are split into seven different episodes. At the end of each mission, you are given a rating by Starfleet Command of how well you performed. The main playthrough of this LP will be for the highest rating possible for each episode. I will show off some alternative scenarios and dialogue in bonus videos.

The volume in this game has been an issue for. It's either on or off. Also, the volume of the sound effects and music fluctuate wildly at times. I have tried to mute the game volume during several instances of gameplay for commentary but it didn't feel natural. I think that I have struck an okay balance for keeping the game sounds on during commentary but if it needs tweaking, please let me know.

If you want to discuss or suggest anything that could be considered spoilers, please use the appropriate tags.

I'm going to aim for at least two updates a week. It really depends on my work schedule.

Let's Play Star Trek: 25th Anniversary

Bonus Videos
Part 1 - Alternate Scenes
Demon World: Defeated by the USS Republic, Off course, Conversations with Prelate Angiven, Trigger Happy, Conversations with the Nauian.
Hijacked: Off Course, Conversations with Elasi Cereth, Trigger Happy, A permanent solution to the guards, Disarming the bomb, Not disarming the bomb, Storming the bridge, The other solution.
Love's Labor Jeopardized: Creating laughing gas, Chemical warfare, Conversations with Preax.
Computer Entries: Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scott, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov (kinda), Tribbles, Pike, Tholians, Tholian Web, USS Defiant and Constitution Class.
Part 2 - Laughing Gas Spock and McCoy decide to let off some steam during a stressful mission.
Part 3 - Alternative resolution to The Feathered Serpent
Part 4a - The Feathered Serpent alternate scenes
Conversations with Taraz, Missed away team conversations, Conversations with Quetzecoatl part one, An alternative solution to Tlaoxac, Conversations with Admiral Kenka, Violent protest, Conversations with Vlict, The crew refusing to follow orders again, Escape to the Enterprise, Conversations with Vlict part two.
Part 4b - The Feathered Serpent alternate scenes
Gem configurations, Conversations with Vlict part three, Conversations with Kallarax.
Part 5 - Death & Failure Scenes

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Please tell me you will show off all the ways to kill red shirts.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Christ, this is VERY much, i.e. space battles and music, like X-Wing.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

mateo360 posted:

Please tell me you will show off all the ways to kill red shirts.

A montage of needless violence and death? I think that I could be up for that!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

A montage of needless violence and death? I think that I could be up for that!
Good, because it's not really TOS Star Trek if you don't end every mission with a trail of dead redshirts.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I remember playing this and Judgement Rites and making sure I did the optimum things on each mission so I got the best rating at the end. Does that rating effect the story, or is it just for bragging rites? I don't remember anymore, and I really need to play these games again. (They are in my GoG library.)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The second and final part of this episode. My work schedule has changed slightly this week, I will try to start the next episode this weekend.

Mage_Boy posted:

I remember playing this and Judgement Rites and making sure I did the optimum things on each mission so I got the best rating at the end. Does that rating effect the story, or is it just for bragging rites? I don't remember anymore, and I really need to play these games again. (They are in my GoG library.)

As far as can remember it's more for bragging rights, I don't think that it affects the story as each game is split into individual episodes. It's been a long time since I last played either game so I could be wrong though. I will be recording extra footage and I will do my best to record as many different scenarios as I can.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The GoG versions come with the cluebooks as a bonus, which give full walkthroughs in addition to hints organized by question, and according to them there isn't any effect on the plot, just which ending score you get -- it's an average of your score from each mission. I played these for the first time a few months back, and they really do feel like the lost/remade episodes of TOS. Although I could never get the hang of space combat since I was using a laptop trackpad.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

There’s a gameplay effect, too. You get more commendation points for perfect missions which make the ship function more efficiently in combat.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
it will also effect a couple lines of dialog in the ending.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Just started watching the second video, and I wanted to chime in that I enjoy you taking the time to look at the various scenery objects. It adds a lot of life to the LP, in contrast to a mechanical "use tape on cat to get mustache" walkthrough video. In case you feel it gets excessive, could you be persuaded to stuff it into some "extras" video?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

inscrutable horse posted:

Just started watching the second video, and I wanted to chime in that I enjoy you taking the time to look at the various scenery objects. It adds a lot of life to the LP, in contrast to a mechanical "use tape on cat to get mustache" walkthrough video. In case you feel it gets excessive, could you be persuaded to stuff it into some "extras" video?

Thank you for your feedback. I'll keep examining the scenery and interacting with as much as I can in each new location. At the time I wasn't sure whether it would be excessive to stop and examine every single tree and bush that I came across. Although I could be missing out on some dialogue if I start to skip some things that I could consider minor.

Also, without all the interaction the game could easily be over within 2-3 hours.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Make sure to look at the crew in each scene, the description is different in every single room. And voiced!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I know there's one dialogue choice later in the game that has completely different subtitles than what Kirk's actually saying. I'm not sure if that was a bug or intentional on Interplay's part.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Quicksilver6 posted:

Make sure to look at the crew in each scene, the description is different in every single room. And voiced!

I didn't even realise that was even a thing. I will make sure that I do from episode two onwards.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I hope whoever made the computer noises so drat loud goes (or has gone) deaf. Also, 1000 cultists have colonized multiple planets? There are 124,000 Zoroastrians estimated worldwide on Earth alone; are we sure these cultists aren't just LARPers loving with the Federation?

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 17, 2019

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Quicksilver6 posted:

There’s a gameplay effect, too. You get more commendation points for perfect missions which make the ship function more efficiently in combat.

It's very possible, if your score is too low and you are not a videogames superman, to make the last couple of fights impossible to win.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I think the one walkthrough I saw years ago said you needed 13 Commendation Points in order to even have a chance near the end of the game.

It's been a long while, but what do Commendation Points even do? More phaser/photon torpedo damage? Faster recycling on your weapons? Faster repair work?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

All of those, I believe.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This episode threw me a little as I only achieved 97% on my initial recording, then for some reason 91% and then 97% again. I finally figured it out, there is a small patch of footage (with commentary) inserted into the recording towards the end of the mission.

Also in the manual, I found the section that explains commendations:

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I know for a fact that there is one (and only one) instance where violence is bugged to not penalize you, but that's for a later mission.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
So wait...
Does Starfleet include override codes for all starships in their library entries?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
When I was a dumb kid trying to play this game, I couldn't get past the next mission.

I have no clue how I actually did Hijacked, besides the fact that I did kill every prisoner inside the brig because I didn't realize that Spock could disarm the bomb for you.

But I did get a kick out of seeing the horrible ways the redshirt could be killed.

I also only had the floppy disk version which lacked the voices.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 20, 2019

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Hippocrass posted:

So wait...
Does Starfleet include override codes for all starships in their library entries?
Yup, the so-called prefix codes.
They are designed specifically to be used in case of an hostile takeover, as seen in both the second Star Trek movie and in the TNG episode The Wounded.
And yes, they are a massive security flaw, though in both cases the override appears to be temporary.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I had a three day weekend and I decided to record the final five episodes. I feel like I may have to re-record a couple of parts of one episode as well as the whole of episode seven completely. I'll work on bonus footage afterwards.

I think that I'll need some advice with episode seven: That final battle. Even with 24 commendation points and the upgraded weapons system, I'm still getting my rear end severely beaten.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

I think that I'll need some advice with episode seven: That final battle. Even with 24 commendation points and the upgraded weapons system, I'm still getting my rear end severely beaten.
I don't know how much this might help, but I've noticed that in the battles so far you barely do any maneuvering: by leaving the speed at the minimum set at the start of the episode, you can't chase enemies trying to gain distance, which allows them to turn around and do an attack run.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

radintorov posted:

I don't know how much this might help, but I've noticed that in the battles so far you barely do any maneuvering: by leaving the speed at the minimum set at the start of the episode, you can't chase enemies trying to gain distance, which allows them to turn around and do an attack run.

I completely forgot that I could change the speed of the Enterprise during the bridge scenes. Thank you for the advice.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

You can also just cheese it by opening firing, causing any text or option menu to appear (By opening the Repair menu or flicking target analysis on/off) and waiting for a couple seconds. When you click away the dialog box your phasers and torpedoes will be ready to fire again. You can do this repeatedly and just annihilate any target in a hail of photons and phasers.

Basically it's the only way I could do it as a kid, I never did it legit.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I thought the Romulans gave the Klingons their tech, not the other way around? Also, why the hell did Spock go onto a station deadly to Romulans when he knows their species is almost the same?

Also:

Sorry Not Sorry.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

Also, why the hell did Spock go onto a station deadly to Romulans when he knows their species is almost the same?

I think Paramount demanded every away team mission was to consist of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Ensign Deadmeat/Lieutenant Nohope.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

I've got to say even knowing what I'm doing, that battle is still a bastard. It is way too difficult.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Snorb posted:

I think Paramount demanded every away team mission was to consist of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and Ensign Deadmeat/Lieutenant Nohope.

"Captain Kirk, it would not be logical for me to accompany-"
"DAMNIT SPOCK, you know your contractually obligated!"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I only ever get a 97% on Demon World. I have no idea what I'm not doing right. I've gotten 100% before and I have no idea why I'm not anymore.

Also, the internet will tell you that enemy ships won't be able to hit you if you fly in reverse. They're lying.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I had that problem too until I saw a 100 percent run on youtube. You have to scan the boulder pile with both tricorders to confirm the guy is under there.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had the cd version when I was a kid, when digitized voice (of the actual actors no less) was still a big novelty, so my brother and I tried phasering everything just to hear Deforest Kelly go "Jim, put that thing away" over and over again

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Snorb posted:

As much as I think that it's great that they brought back the original cast, it seems like Walter Koenig and George Takei were criminally underused compared with the amount of dialogue that the cast of red shirts had for each mission.

McNally posted:

I only ever get a 97% on Demon World. I have no idea what I'm not doing right. I've gotten 100% before and I have no idea why I'm not anymore.

Also, the internet will tell you that enemy ships won't be able to hit you if you fly in reverse. They're lying.

Quicksilver6 posted:

I had that problem too until I saw a 100 percent run on youtube. You have to scan the boulder pile with both tricorders to confirm the guy is under there.

I didn't scan the boulders during the LP and I still managed to get 100%. The guide that I used for reference in this LP was extremely useful in hitting the 100% mark and is pretty succinct with the conditions of achieving some of them. For example, during one mission you have to scan a wall that doesn't highlight the cursor when you move the mouse over it. If you want to check it out for yourself to see what you're missing, you can read it here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=836704622

Phy posted:

I had the cd version when I was a kid, when digitized voice (of the actual actors no less) was still a big novelty, so my brother and I tried phasering everything just to hear Deforest Kelly go "Jim, put that thing away" over and over again

This is the kind of thing that I'm looking for with bonus footage, thank you for sharing this!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

This is the kind of thing that I'm looking for with bonus footage, thank you for sharing this!

The joke is that to two teenagers it sounded like Bones was chastising Kirk for getting his dong out, if that wasn't obvious

Relying on 25-year-old memories here but I think the character who tells you off for it changes between missions, and possibly between screens. It's definitely Bones on some of the screens in Hijacked, since that's where I remember doing it. Should be easy enough to check.

I'm definitely putting this and Judgement Rites on my GOG wishlist, though. Might not ever have the time to re-run through X-Wing or Tie Fighter but a half-remembered adventure game I can do.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Phy posted:

The joke is that to two teenagers it sounded like Bones was chastising Kirk for getting his dong out, if that wasn't obvious

Relying on 25-year-old memories here but I think the character who tells you off for it changes between missions, and possibly between screens. It's definitely Bones on some of the screens in Hijacked, since that's where I remember doing it. Should be easy enough to check.

I'm definitely putting this and Judgement Rites on my GOG wishlist, though. Might not ever have the time to re-run through X-Wing or Tie Fighter but a half-remembered adventure game I can do.

Shooting the away team members also provokes reactions from them; Bones' is usually "drat it, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a target!" and "This isn't the OK Corral, now put that thing away!"

The security officers have the same pool of lines, but I think each of their voice actors recorded the entire set. (I'm too lazy to install the game and play through for several different inflections of "I thought dueling with phasers was outlawed, Sir?")

Fun fact of the day: Most of the security guys are named for the game's production team.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

As much as I think that it's great that they brought back the original cast, it seems like Walter Koenig and George Takei were criminally underused compared with the amount of dialogue that the cast of red shirts had for each mission.

I didn't scan the boulders during the LP and I still managed to get 100%. The guide that I used for reference in this LP was extremely useful in hitting the 100% mark and is pretty succinct with the conditions of achieving some of them. For example, during one mission you have to scan a wall that doesn't highlight the cursor when you move the mouse over it. If you want to check it out for yourself to see what you're missing, you can read it here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=836704622

Nope, still only getting 97%. I have no earthly idea what I'm doing wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turol
Jul 31, 2017

McNally posted:

Nope, still only getting 97%. I have no earthly idea what I'm doing wrong.

Did you disable the force field shielding the bridge door? You must do it and then transport to the bridge anyway to get 100%.