Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Astro7x posted:

Bray's gimmick seems like it's ripe for recruiting other people to join the firefly funhouse. I mean, it's the same gimmick as before, just a new approach

For his sake, I hope they don't make him wrestle in the sweater

Also, Raw was good. but I skipped over the 30 minute intro segment and skipped over the majority of BOTH Baron Corbin matches.

for recruit 1 i nominate luke harper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

dromal phrenia posted:

I'm curious though, with Dean Ambrose gone, who will lose to Friendly Bray Wyatt due to buzzard puppet interference?

A little man by the name of Rick O'Shea.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Wait! Don't be fooled, it's just the regular Bobby Roode with a stupid mustache! He still embodies all the bad booking he did before!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

VJeff posted:

The thing is, Bray is already showing really subtle character quirks that make you think this could really be something because, at the end of the day, Bray Wyatt is a hell of a performer.

But, well, we've been down this road with him like. Four times, now.

But who knows. Daniel Bryan as the Planet's Champion worked because Daniel Bryan just pulled it the hell off because he's great. Maybe this can be like that.

That's the worst part. Bray is pretty good at character stuff, although I don't really like his in-ring style. Hopefully he's changing that up. His gimmick has just been cut off at the knees every time it looks like it's getting over.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Liquid Communism posted:

That's the worst part. Bray is pretty good at character stuff, although I don't really like his in-ring style. Hopefully he's changing that up. His gimmick has just been cut off at the knees every time it looks like it's getting over.

Every time they give Bray something, it gets over. The Orton stuff was over. Them as tag champs was over. Him as world champ was over. Then...all of that just got flushed at WM33 and he's never recovered.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

VJeff posted:

Every time they give Bray something, it gets over. The Orton stuff was over. Them as tag champs was over. Him as world champ was over. Then...all of that just got flushed at WM33 and he's never recovered.
his one week face run tagging with Roman Reigns was over

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

VJeff posted:

Wait! Don't be fooled, it's just the regular Bobby Roode with a stupid mustache! He still embodies all the bad booking he did before!

Also, I'd like to imagine that Bray pitched doing something like the kid's show on the TV in IT and this is what came out of the other end of creative

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 23, 2019

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

It's good to see people finally saying what I've said all along, which is that Bray Wyatt loving owns.

This new incarnation is great. You can't tell if he's genuine, lying, or insane. A neat little thing is his gloves have HURT and HEAL on them, when he whips out the chainsaw he listens to the hurt glove. Oh this could be really fun!

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

The Bray Wyatt thing rules

and after being on an anti-Bobby Roode train for a good bit, I'm all in on the Robert Roode train choo choo

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
i like the idea that bray realized he can't win by coverting big boys, so he'll just go after your kids instead

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I love this new Bray Wyatt. I can't wait until this company fucks it up and stomps on my heart. Again.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Simpsons shitposting is all about Bray's Clues

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Procrastinator posted:

nu bray should not wrestle.

he should invite guests onto his show and teach them to let the light in and wrestle for him.

I'm saying that they can do the cult leader thing with this gimmick, but even better.

Agreed, should have him recruit the B-Team cause that's a tag team name that is just perfect as part of the Firefly Funhouse

Sanguinia posted:

If I were writing a gimmick like this, the show parts would be tapping into the rarely-used bit with Bray where he would know things about your past and bring out all your deep psychological wounds and weaknesses. Having him talking to his creepy rear end dolls about your abusive home life or starving on the streets while you worked the indies or the string of broken friendships you've burned or how your kids cry every night when you're not there to give them love, all in that saccharine, patronizing "I'm going to teach you a very special lesson!" kind of way that kids TV has, that's pretty effective in my mind. Then you occasionally break that up with the actual creepy TV Ghost artifacting and hyper serious deadpan delivery of certain lines.

As for the in-ring work, a lot of Kane-esque no-selling and constant smiles even while you try to beat on him will go far.

The weakness of a gimmick like that is how dependent it is on your opponent selling the character. They have to be horrified at all the poo poo he does and how he act and actually let the psychological attacks affect them visibly. The first time you have Stone Cold flip this character the double bird and stun his rear end and then drink beer over his body, or have the Rock give him a Billy Gunn promo, or have John Cena do goofy photoshops of him, he's dead in the water.

Although thinking on it, I could actually see a way around that: any time he is made to look vulnerable, have him take it out on "Bray." Keep coming back to this notion that the old Bray and his weakness is responsible for any failures he endures, and have him gradually go to ever greater lengths to purge and punish his old self any time he comes up short. That will not only help perserve some of his mystique even in defeat and amp up the psychosis, but it also builds anticipation for the potential return of Old Bray in the long run to vindicate himself after a long period of being run down and spat on by this New Bray. Sort of a modern, spookier take on the Faces of Foley.

Exactly, Bray works best when he's emulating Mick Foley rather than Undertaker

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

It's pretty interesting that Raw chose to apparently start pushes for Cesaro, Roode and Bray, continue on course with Sami, and then also have Joe, Corbin, Drew and Lashley and Leo already established at the upper midcard or main event tiers. And we didn't even see Buddy Murphy tonight, and that's not discussing the tag division. They are REALLY heel heavy, and one presumes that there's at least a chance that they're planning to turn AJ since he's taking on Seth. With Roman and Dean gone, if AJ did turn who would even be #2 Face?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I’m sad about UUDD being gutted.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

It's pretty interesting that Raw chose to apparently start pushes for Cesaro, Roode and Bray, continue on course with Sami, and then also have Joe, Corbin, Drew and Lashley and Leo already established at the upper midcard or main event tiers. And we didn't even see Buddy Murphy tonight, and that's not discussing the tag division. They are REALLY heel heavy, and one presumes that there's at least a chance that they're planning to turn AJ since he's taking on Seth. With Roman and Dean gone, if AJ did turn who would even be #2 Face?

Rey

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

It says something that I forgot Rey was there even though he had an awesome match TONIGHT. Its hard to think of him as anything other than The Veteran here to please the crowd and put up-and-comers over.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

It says something that I forgot Rey was there even though he had an awesome match TONIGHT. Its hard to think of him as anything other than The Veteran here to please the crowd and put up-and-comers over.

If you discount Rey, the top non-Seth babyface would be either Zack Ryder or Curt Hawkins.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

Rev. Harry Powell-meets-Mr. Rogers seems like an awesome character that would be a perfect fit for Bray. It's just too bad WWE/Vince lacks the nuance and patience to let that gimmick play out as anything other than a joke.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Here's what I don't understand.

I like Becky Lynch, I like Alicia Fox, I am ok with Lacey being Becky's first feud and getting that out of the way/seeing if Lacey sinks or swims (likely sink because Vince is too horny to see when someone needs more time in developmental but whatever). I like Cesaro and I like Cedric Alexander.

There's no reason why Lynch/Fox got two segments and Cesaro/Alexander got one. No reason to make Alexander lose in his debut in a one segment match, either. There's no many people you could feed to both Cesaro and Alexander. You should probably make Cesaro lose anyway since he's been a tag wrestler for YEARS now. Vince is the absolute best at putting together matches where neither person should lose.

Sanguinia posted:

And we didn't even see Buddy Murphy tonight, and that's not discussing the tag division.
Buddy Murphy is on SmackDown, separated from his wife.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

keevo posted:

I’m sad about UUDD being gutted.

Same, its gonna be sad as hell watching Xavier play badly by himself rather than letting other wrestlers show how cool and fun they can be without the ball and chain of WWE scripts

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
February: Ricochet is called up on a whim because Vince thinks the main roster lacks stars

April: Ricochet loses to Robert Roode

:thunkher:

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

The mustache is the star now sorry ricochet

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/JustinWhang/status/1120604644038860801

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Lake of Reincarnation looks like it might’ve been a time-release thing.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Cedric losing to Cesaro may just be Vince thinking that the bigger man should be able to overpower the smaller wrestler.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TV Zombie posted:

Cedric losing to Cesaro may just be Vince thinking that the bigger man should be able to overpower the smaller wrestler.

it may also be the start of a very high level push

I mean, have you seen his new tron?!

https://i.imgur.com/WhMBsK9.gifv

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Apparently Takeover: San Jose may be cancelled due to the Saudi show happening the day before, according to the Observer. I can't imagine how much that would gently caress up some ongoing storylines in NXT.

Only posting about it here because it involves the Saudi show.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I used to love Fun House back in the day; where are Bray's twin cheerleaders?! He better come to the ring in a go-kart.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DarkstarIV posted:

Apparently Takeover: San Jose may be cancelled due to the Saudi show happening the day before, according to the Observer. I can't imagine how much that would gently caress up some ongoing storylines in NXT.

Don't know why this surprises me given that taking the money in spite of the Khashoggi stuff is infinitely worse, but somehow it still surprises me that WWE would be willing to gently caress around with their own successful stuff in order to keep this terrible loving relationship going

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DarkstarIV posted:

Lol just sacrifice all your shows on the altar of Saudi blood money

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jeff Hardy's also hurt, per Dave on Observer Radio

Also the Sasha situation hasn't changed/gotten better

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Everytime I'm reminded of the Saudi stuff I get mad at myself for still paying attention. Then I remember stuff like the Firefly Funhouse or Dream's last Takeover entrance and I can't not pay attention.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1120665772378996737

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The brilliant thing about the new Wyatt repackaging is I can very easily see how they can slow drip in the best parts of his old persona while still taking it in a fresh direction. Wyatt was ruined when they basically had him wheel through the same poo poo constantly while having him get beaten. This is a shockingly smart move.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Bray Wyatt will be one of the best or worst gimmicks of all time. There's no in between.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Sanguinia posted:

With Roman and Dean gone, if AJ did turn who would even be #2 Face?

This should’ve been a good opportunity for a Ricochet push as a singles star and having him lose to Roode was a terrible decision.

#2 face currently would probably be Rey, Miz or Braun

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It would rule so loving hard if over time the skits become creepier and more disturbing. Just keep feeding in little hosed up things in the background over time. It's already there with the weird puppets but this has the chance to be an awesome weird kids show thing in the vein of Don't Hug Me or Too Many Cooks.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bryatt problem wasnt the gimmick or the ring work. the problem was that he lost all the time and looked like a loving idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Just read about Firefly Funhouse. Is it weird that I had a more visceral reaction to missing last night's Raw than I did to my last day of work at a retail store that liquidated yesterday?