Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
We're almost dead. Seed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Seed up!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Forbidden City posted:

Carefully, Urik leads you along while you sustain a trance state. Your mind is full of a thousand images of future events and you are able to discern which is solid land and which is not until suddenly, a disturbing vision forms in your mind. You see yourself in combat with a terrible monster that has risen from a dark pit.
Do we break our trance or carry on?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Carry on!, our wayward youth....

That reminds me, only two more episodes till the season finale of Supernatural. :D

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Carry on. Hey, we might learn something about the book's boss!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

Carry on!, our wayward youth....

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Keep trance and carry on!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Runcible Cat posted:

Keep trance and carry on!

This!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

A vast, amorphous mass of slime and mud, wreathed with vines and dead vegetation, rises up out of the quagmire you have just passed. It reaches out and grabs you while you remain entranced, and presses you against its filth-encrusted body in a crushing bear hug. (Lose 2 ENDURANCE points.) You are being held by a Swamp Giant and it intends to squeeze the life out of you.

Grey Star: COMBAT SKILL 11 ENDURANCE 1 WILLPOWER 11
Swamp Giant: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 30
Combat Ratio: -5 WP/Round: 6

We roll: 10
Grey Star: COMBAT SKILL 11 ENDURANCE 1 WILLPOWER 5
Swamp Giant: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 0

As the creature dies, its body melts away, leaving only a pile of mud and filth that once gave it form. Urik gives a shout of congratulation and you nod in acknowledgement; you are too tired to talk.
Shall we consume another Tarama Seed in order to use Prophecy again or go on without it?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
1 more seed, keep going.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

achtungnight posted:

1 more seed, keep going.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

1 more seed, keep going.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

1 more seed, keep using prophecy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Grey Star the Wizard posted:

At the cost of 4 WILLPOWER points 1 Tarama Seed, you return to the trance state that has guided you through the swamp. The air is teeming with life: the song of strange birds; the scurrying of furred rodents disturbed by your passing; and the steady hum of insects. Yet, all your attention is focused on the dim and distant future as you steer an eccentric course between the stagnant pools and ponds that are alive with creatures of every imagining.

The humid atmosphere makes every step a labour and you make slow progress. When sunset finally comes, you are still in the swampland, and fatigue forces you to rest for the night. The sheer exertion of walking causes you to lose 1 ENDURANCE point. Urik sights a stretch of dry land and you head towards it, relieved to cease the strain of maintaining your trance. The air is alive with nocturnal insects and, to your dismay, you notice the distinct, vermilion bodies of winged Blood Nymphs.

Endurance: 0/23.
Death Count: 8.

So what do we do now?
  • Rewind and take the slower, safer route through the swamp.
  • Retreat even further, to before we encountered the injured chaksu, and avoid it as well.
  • Reset back to the start of this book with the same stats and equipment and try again.
  • Reroll our stats and start the book again as a fresh character.
  • Restart this book using the outcome of my optimal playthrough of the first book.
    or
  • Resign ourselves to failure and play with god mode on.

You lose that 1 EP regardless of whether you use Prophecy or not. And yeah, I knew it was a pointless decision before I asked you to make it. :imunfunny:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Grey Star is dead. Long live Grey Star.

Reroll for better stats and get it over with. Otherwise we’ll end up in the same dilemma next book.

e: This too:

achtungnight posted:

Reroll stats but take the safer route through the swamp. Saving the Chaksa was a good thing.

nelson fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 23, 2019

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

nelson posted:

Reroll for better stats and get it over with. Otherwise well end up in the same dilemma next book.

achtungnight posted:

Reroll stats but take the safer route through the swamp. Saving the Chaksu was a good thing.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 24, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It was neat to try to scrape through the first book with awful stats, but I think the joke's wearing a little thin. Reroll but otherwise make the same decisions we made to get to this point.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

nelson posted:

Reroll for better stats and get it over with. Otherwise we’ll end up in the same dilemma next book.

I also love how we literally walked ourselves to death.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Reroll and use the same decisions. Grey Star was just too anemic for this world.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

For the sake of difference I say: Reset!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Reroll stats but take the safer route through the swamp. Saving the Chaksa was a good thing.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

Yes, definitely save the Chaksu.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

OK, that's what we'll do.

New stats!

Combat Skill: 11
Willpower: 37
Endurance: 24

OK, so that's almost the same scores as last time. How about let's not roll for it, let's just take the average of 5 (well, 4.5 but we'll round it up) for each of them. No point rerolling if we're just going to have the same scores anyway.

Combat Skill: 15
Willpower: 37
Endurance: 25

First we take the 3 Azawood Leaves, then Shield ourself, Urik and the Ooslo bird with Sorcery at a cost of 2 WP and a Tarama seed. Then we come to the Chaksu, which we will defend.

The gap in the undergrowth that leads into the clearing is very narrow and the Shadakine can pass through only a few at a time. Three Shadakine warriors charge towards you, bellowing a savage battle-cry. To your surprise, Urik produces a small boomerang edged with razor-sharp teeth. He wields it with great skill and accuracy. With a stunned cry, the first of the Shadakine falls to the ground, his sword arm severed by Urik’s deadly weapon. Two Shadakine remain and you must fight them as one enemy.
Gray Star: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 25 WILLPOWER 35
Shadakine Warriors: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 24
Combat Ratio: -3 WP/Round: 5

We roll: 9
Gray Star: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 25 WILLPOWER 30
Shadakine Warriors: COMBAT SKILL 18 ENDURANCE 0

Although you have defeated the Shadakine warriors, the clearing is now full of raging soldiers. Wary of the power of your Staff they avoid further risk to themselves and send in a Magdi. The beast lunges at you, its claws and fangs thirsting for your blood. Due to the magical powers of their maker, Shasarak, the Magdi have a natural resistance to magic and you must subtract 2 from your COMBAT SKILL for the duration of the combat.
Gray Star: COMBAT SKILL 13 ENDURANCE 25 WILLPOWER 30
Magdi Hound: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 30
Combat Ratio: -7 WP/Round: 7

We roll: 9
Gray Star: COMBAT SKILL 13 ENDURANCE 23 WILLPOWER 23
Magdi Hound: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 0

We'll pick up the Chaksu Pipes and restore 1 EP, then we come to the Gurlu Marshes. But this time we'll take the slower, safer route to the northwest.

Urik has routed out a supply of Lianor and hands you three of the blue tubers. Each tuber counts as one Meal and you store them in your Backpack. You set off at once, for the success of your quest depends on haste.

You travel for two days, through the swamp forest, clambering over a jumble of twisted roots. It is a tiring journey.

Automatically took 1 Meal.

Growing beside a small pool of murky water, you notice the yellow flowers of a Karmo bush. If you possess an empty Vial, you may squeeze the clear liquid that is contained within the buds of the flower into the Vial. This potion, when taken before combat, will double your ENDURANCE and WILLPOWER point totals for the duration of the combat. However, the side effects of the Karmo potion can be fatal. After taking the potion you must pick a number from the Random Number Table. The number that you pick equals the number of ENDURANCE points that you lose due to the side effects (0 = zero).

Automatically created a Karmo potion.

The atmosphere is heavy and humid, and it is hard to breathe. The effort of walking causes you to lose 1 ENDURANCE point as your lungs labour against the damp, cloying air. The sun begins to set and the exhausted state of your body requires that you stop to rest for the night even though you are still within the confines of the swamp. Urik locates a bare, dry hillock and you stop there for the night. The air is alive with nocturnal insects and among them, to your dismay, you notice the distinct vermilion bodies of winged Blood Nymphs.

Endurance: 23/25.

Before sleeping, you hunt out a Yabari bush. When pounded into an ointment and smeared into the skin, its roots are a potent protection against insect bites. Eventually, despite the half-light of the gloaming, you find a Yabari and set about making the ointment. When you have finished, you take the ointment back to Urik and you both cover yourselves thoroughly before settling down to sleep.

You wake to the sound of exotic bird song. You resume your journey and, by late afternoon, have left the peril of the swamplands far behind. When you reach the northern edges of the Gurlu Marshes, you see, gleaming in the distance, the city of Karnali and the bright waters of the Suhni River.

A wide road, the great Suhn Road, runs parallel to the river. You see a long line of men, women, and children marching slowly along the road away from the city like forsaken souls journeying towards their doom. Shadakine warriors walk up and down the line, brandishing their flails brutally.

‘Grey Star,’ says Urik, ‘I thought … There are others here in marsh. They … ’ Before he can finish, a wave of men pour out of the brush that lines the marsh and run towards the column of slaves with a roar, waving their swords above their heads. They wear veils over their faces, but otherwise share no common uniform.

The few Shadakine guards fall into defensive positions along the road, but the swiftness of the ambush prevents them from deploying effectively. Only a few of the veiled soldiers are felled by a volley of crossbow bolts before the Shadakine are beset by their attackers. ‘Shall we?’ you ask Urik. A broad smile creases his old face and he gives vent to a bellowing yell as he shambles out of the brush towards the fray as fast as his old bones will permit. You follow close behind.

With the evil cunning that you have come to expect of the Shadakine, they use their slaves as a human wall, thus preventing the masked attackers from bringing their full force to bear for fear of killing the innocent people they have come to free.

You notice that the chains that manacle the slaves are all linked to one metal ring at the end of the line. If you can break the chain at this point, you will be able to free all the slaves at a stroke. Standing by this link-pin is the Shadakine slavemaster. Fearlessly, you charge. The slavemaster’s eyes widen with surprise but he appears unshaken by your advance. He clutches at a red Gem at his neck and, as he does, his personal slave steps forward. Seven feet tall and with powerful muscles bulging beneath his ebony skin, he fixes you with a blank expression as he raises his huge broadsword.
  1. Shall we attack the slave, shoot the slavemaster with our staff, or use Sorcery?
  2. We'll need a rule for when to use that Karmo Potion, unless you want to save the vial and retroactively not create it at all.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Save the super-potion for the final boss. Shoot the Slavemaster!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Sorcery!

Use the potion when we don’t have enough willpower to win in one round and our EP is below 20.

nelson fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 24, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Shoot the Slavemaster

Use the Potion when the Combat Ratio is -9 and our EP is below 10

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

Save the super-potion for the final boss. Shoot the Slavemaster!

Zap that arsehole!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Shoot the Slavemaster

Use the Potion when the Combat Ratio is -9 and our EP is below 10

Agree.
Seems reasonable.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Use Sorcery to pluck the mind control gem from the slaver's hand.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Runcible Cat posted:

Save the super-potion for the final boss.

Shoot the Slavemaster

As the giant charges towards you, the silver flame of your Staff kills the slavemaster instantly. The use of this spell has cost you 2 WILLPOWER points. The giant falters, apparently confused. He shakes his head and looks at his sword as if it were not his own. The Gem around the slavemaster’s neck continues to glow.

Willpower: 21.
Shall we attack the slave or take the gem?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Take the gem!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Also, we need a glove to put on it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You take the jewel and stare at it intently. The giant continues to look confused.

The Special Item that you hold in your hand is a Mind Gem. The magical jewel holds the mind of the giant under its malign control. With a small exertion of your will, you snuff out the Mind Gem’s light. Awareness floods back into the giant’s mind as he recovers control of his own mind. ‘My thanks,’ he bellows. If you wish to keep the Mind Gem, you may wear it round your neck.

You raise your Staff and, at the cost of 1 WILLPOWER point, use it to shear through the master link that holds the Shadakine slaves in chains. They give a cheer and break away from the battle in great numbers.

Automatically took Mind Gem.

Willpower: 20.

The battle is nearly won. Able to avoid killing the slaves, the veiled soldiers overwhelm the Shadakine slave guards. As the last cries of battle fade away, the few surviving Shadakine attempt to flee: to a man they are cut down without mercy.

One of the masked attackers approaches you. ‘Stranger,’ he says, ‘our leader, Sado of the Long Knife, wishes to speak to you.’ You follow the soldier and arrive before Sado of the Long Knife. He has put aside his veil to reveal a lean, haggard face and eyes of piercing blue.

‘My thanks,’ says Sado with a polite bow. ‘Your timely arrival was most welcome. We return now to the marshes; the attack will not have gone unnoticed and we must move swiftly to avoid the retribution of the Shadakine of Karnali. Will you accompany us?’

You and Urik walk beside Sado as his small army of a hundred men move into the cover of the marshes.

A patch of brush and foliage is pulled aside to reveal a concealed entrance. Following Sado, you enter a wide tunnel lit with torches. ‘This tunnel leads all the way to our secret headquarters beneath the city of Karnali,’ he says.

The tunnel twists and turns for many miles before opening into a large cavern. You and Urik are given food and wine, and while you eat, he tells you of his army—the Freedom Guild, a rebel band resisting the rule of the Shadakine Empire.

‘Karnali was the last city to fall to Shasarak,’ Sado explains. ‘The spirit of unrest was never truly crushed, and so we fight on in our small way, striking blows against the Wytch-king whenever we may. Our attacks are based in the marshes, for we hope to avoid the retribution of the Warward, Kiro, against our people by making him believe that we come from outside the city. The Shadakine waste much effort patrolling the marsh, seeking to flush us out, and attention is drawn away from the city. Only our fear that the citizens of Karnali would be punished for our actions prevents us from rising up within the city walls. And,’ he shrugs, ‘our numbers are small while the Shadakine maintain a heavy garrison. But what of you?’

A thin man comes and begins to clear away your plates and empty wine goblets. He brushes past you and, to your amazement, attempts to pick your pocket. ‘You, man!’ shouts Sado, ‘What do you think you’re doing? Guards, arrest this man.’

He turns and apologizes to you, explaining that the bulk of his army is recruited from the criminal ranks of the city. You explain your quest and the land that you seek. Sado’s eyes widen with astonishment. ‘Then the legends are true?’ he gapes. ‘The Shianti still exist!’

You nod. ‘If my quest should finally succeed and I retrieve the Moonstone, the full might of their wisdom and magic will be turned against Shasarak,’ you tell him.

‘How the people would rejoice to know that a Shianti walked among us once more,’ says Sado, ‘though I understand the need for secrecy. Nevertheless,’ he continues, his eyes lighting up, ‘I would ask a boon of you. Tonight, we attempt our most daring stratagem against the corrupt rule of the Shadakine. Stand with us in battle tonight; aid us if you will. With the might of a Shianti Wizard in our ranks, who knows what we could achieve! Help the Freedom Guild, Grey Star, in our struggle to free the people of Karnali.’

He looks, a searching gaze on his face, with an intensity that almost crackles with energy.

By using the summons of the Chaksu Pipes, you could seek the aid of the mighty Chaksu in fighting the Shadakine. An attack from the swamp would also serve to divert attention away from any action within the city.
Should we use them or not?

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
by all means lets basically kill ourselves earning those pipes and then not use them

Of course play the pipes

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Play the pipes of peace...

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Mister Perky posted:

by all means lets basically kill ourselves earning those pipes and then not use them

Of course play the pipes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tootle-tootle-toot!