Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
My girlfriend moved here from washington a few years ago to be with me, but left her cat behind with her mom. Her mom is now selling her house to move in with her boyfriend, so the cat is being flown out here next week to live with us. We're both a little worried about how the rabbit and cat are going to get along, but I'm sure they'll be fine. We'll just have to pay super close attention when carrots is out of his cage for a while.

The cat only has one eye, and our bun has a malformed tear duct so it always looks like he's crying. We collect pets with eye problems I guess.

Anyone have any tips or experience with introducing a cat and a rabbit to one another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

wafflethief posted:

Thought I'd share this nutcase. Attila the bun.

French Lop?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, my fiancé and I are moving into a townhouse in a month and a half. We're giving Harriet the basement (With padding and carpet over the concrete). How do we make it feel like home to her? Like, sprinkle her poop in the area so it smells like her? Stash banana all around it for her to find?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, my fiancé and I are moving into a townhouse in a month and a half. We're giving Harriet the basement (With padding and carpet over the concrete). How do we make it feel like home to her? Like, sprinkle her poop in the area so it smells like her? Stash banana all around it for her to find?

don’t worry about it. don’t sprinkle her poop around (ew), do carry over her toys and blankets and litter box, etc. If you want, you can start putting toys and blankets in with her to scent before the move but it’s probably overkill. give her time and space and she’ll make it feel like home on her own over a few days.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

don’t worry about it. don’t sprinkle her poop around (ew), do carry over her toys and blankets and litter box, etc. If you want, you can start putting toys and blankets in with her to scent before the move but it’s probably overkill. give her time and space and she’ll make it feel like home on her own over a few days.

Perfect.

I'm excited for the move, because it also has a garden, which we are gonna plant with bunny friendly plants. Prepare for many nature photos of the sassy cloud.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bunnyofdoom posted:

A lair.

You're giving your evil little rabbit a lair. :stonklol:.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Anyone have any tips or experience with introducing a cat and a rabbit to one another?

Don’t sweat it, from experience bunnies typically get along really well with cats. They’re too big to be registered as prey and strangely enough cats are often spooked by rabbits. Once they get accustomed to each other’s presence it will be a non issue.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Perfect.

I'm excited for the move, because it also has a garden, which we are gonna plant with bunny friendly plants. Prepare for many nature photos of the sassy cloud.

Same here, rabbits love moving. I mean, not the move in itself which they hate but the preparation and the unpacking. Lots of boxes, new places to hide and explore, Harriet might even take her mind off murdering your whole family for a while. :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A lair.

You're giving your evil little rabbit a lair. :stonklol:.

Well, poo poo, yes I am.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Watch the first few interactions. Buns have big bulbous eyes and cats like to take swipes

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

I'm not sure. Definitely some sort of lop involved and I expect lionhead too. We were told when we got him that he was mixed breed. Unfortunately, it was Pets At Home so could be anything and they didn't actually know.

Any time its feeding time whether it be pellets of greenage you'd think he never ate. Refuses hay most of the time too. We gonna need to get him on a weight loss routine I think.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We've been restricting Ludo's water intake because he has recurring problems with inappropriate peeing. That is, he doesn't seem to be deliberately spraying, he'd just pee on the couch if we let him sit on the furniture too long, and would sometimes pee outside his litter box and outside his crate. Giving him less water seems to have helped.

I know denying him water sounds awful, but what I mean by that is that we're only filling his bottle (32 oz.) once every morning. The books I consulted said that rabbits drink up to 16 oz. per 5 lbs. of body weight, and he's about 10 lbs. I'm not being evil, am I?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

We've been restricting Ludo's water intake because he has recurring problems with inappropriate peeing. That is, he doesn't seem to be deliberately spraying, he'd just pee on the couch if we let him sit on the furniture too long, and would sometimes pee outside his litter box and outside his crate. Giving him less water seems to have helped.

I know denying him water sounds awful, but what I mean by that is that we're only filling his bottle (32 oz.) once every morning. The books I consulted said that rabbits drink up to 16 oz. per 5 lbs. of body weight, and he's about 10 lbs. I'm not being evil, am I?

Harriet started inappropriate peeing because of arthritis. So maybe?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, this really sounds like you should take him to the vet. Are you sending him to his room without supper too?

Edit: yeah, no- I can’t think of any good reason to restrict an animal’s water intake unless they’re having surgery/being slaughtered for tripe shortly.

I thought about it for a sec after posting- if you’re filling the bottle and he’s drinking it, and then peeing it out, then he’s doing whatever his body tells him it needs. He’s a rabbit, he drinks because he’s thirsty, not because he can’t control his water cravings. Preventing him from drinking water when his bottle is empty to keep him from urinating more frequently/less cleanly isn’t really humane.

Also, if your pet is drinking way more than the average amount and having difficulty controlling continence, then that can be a red flag for a number of different things (kidney problems, urinary problems, age, food allergy, arthritis) and should be addressed with a trip to the vet.

Also also, if he’s peeing on the couch because y’all leave him up there for too long then that’s on y’all. If it’s an emergent problem that didn’t happen before then all the more reason to get him to a vet.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 16, 2019

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

How old is he? When was his least vet checkup? Sounds like he needs to be checked out.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

No idea if this is the right thread but my cat brought home a baby (less than a week old from research) cottontail rabbit and I have no idea where the nest is or what to do with it. It seems relatively unharmed. Please advise if possible.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Contact a wildlife rescue near you and let them know what's up.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
Find a rescue or shelter near you if you don't want to keep it.

If you do wanna keep it, find a vet and get it checked out.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Left a message with one. They say it's about $25 to raise an orphaned baby rabbit so I'll probably donate that amount when they get back to me. Thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
In the meantime, keep the bunny warm (I’d grab a heating pad or some chemical warmers and wrap them well in towels so that they can’t be chewed on/cause a burn) and in a cozy safe place like a box (heat source on the outside of the box is safest but don’t turn it into an oven either- I would shoot for approximating mom’s body temp so maybe like 90-100 degrees F) and look into getting them into hands that can provide care ASAP.

If the eyes are still shut, they’re going to need to eat twice a day (KMR or goat’s milk) and they’ll need to be stimulated to excrete just like baby kittens and rats. If the eyes are open they’ll still need milk but can be tried on greens as well. Baby rabbits that need something (food or bum stimulation) will make noise, otherwise they’ll be quiet.

loving up the routine on either of these things can cause a rabbit to go downhill super quick so the best thing you can do is get the bun in the hands of a caretaker as soon as you can.

http://www.indianahrs.org/rabbit-care/wild-rabbits.aspx#Introduction

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 17, 2019

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

wafflethief posted:

How old is he? When was his least vet checkup? Sounds like he needs to be checked out.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I mean, this really sounds like you should take him to the vet. Are you sending him to his room without supper too?

Edit: yeah, no- I can’t think of any good reason to restrict an animal’s water intake unless they’re having surgery/being slaughtered for tripe shortly.
We've only had him for a month, and he got a checkup and was neutered a week prior to that.

My wife has had a rabbit before, but I haven't, and I was so worried about feeding him exactly the right amount of hay, pellets, veggies, treats, the ratio of leafy greens to root vegetables, etc. that an obviously stupid idea started making sense. I was just being impatient about the housebreaking process, and he hasn't peed anywhere outside his litterbox for a few days. I've been giving him water ad libitam, same as hay. I think we were just encouraging him to stay on the couch too long.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
Thought I would share some pictures of my good boi house bun Sir Binklesworth, our live in lionhead.

It's right behind me isn't it?

You can play with his hair like one of those troll dolls. It's not a PHASE mom!!

Whatcha got there?

Had this little guy for a couple years now and he really is a good boi and very loving and well mannered and not at all destructive like rabbits can be.

Bob Wins fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 18, 2019

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

omg he's way too cuute. :swoon:

I took a some pictures of Broussette and Pompon the other day, enjoy. :3:

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
So far carrots and the cat seem to be getting along. Carrots is curious and the cat, zuko, seems much more timid. Any time carrots approaches him he scurries away. Zuko prefers to watch from a distance, but has gone up to him a few times.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
So your local predator runs away from the nearby prey animal. Oh dear.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It turns out that I'm extremely stupid, and the reason Ludo was "drinking too much water" and "peeing everywhere" is that he "spills as much water as he drinks."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

It turns out that I'm extremely stupid, and the reason Ludo was "drinking too much water" and "peeing everywhere" is that he "spills as much water as he drinks."

He may still be peeing. Rabbits aren’t the sharpest and sometimes “next to the litter box” is the same as “in the litter box”. Same thing goes for if the litter box is too annoying to hop into in the moment (the lip is too tall) or they’re having mobility issues (arthritis, obesity, sore leg, etc). Having a bigger litter box helps (every pet store sells xxl “multi cat” boxes for cheap) as does keeping hay in/accessible from inside it. Rabbits like to poop while they pee and they loving love to eat hay while they poop.

Also do keep an eye out for health problems. Rabbits are prey and they evolved to never show weakness until they’re basically at death’s door or in too much pain to function. Bathroom habits are a key health indicator so learning Ludo’s patterns is gonna be important. Incontinence and peeing around can be the result of a bunch of different things- from territory marking to bonding problems (aggressive dominant rabbits may ‘claim’ the litter box at the expense of their cagemates) to issues with the rabbit’s environment to stones (rabbits are very susceptible to stones, which is why fresh hay is better than old and water access is very important) to UTI to other infections to cancer to neurological disease to injury to simple old age.

Edit: did I miss any big ones?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

wafflethief posted:

So your local predator runs away from the nearby prey animal. Oh dear.

Called it:

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Don't sweat it, from experience bunnies typically get along really well with cats. They're too big to be registered as prey and strangely enough cats are often spooked by rabbits. Once they get accustomed to each other's presence it will be a non issue.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Oh yeah, I got one- injury to the urinary tract because rabbits like to mount poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't think he's mounting anything; he's neutered, and humped my leg exactly once about two weeks later, and I've never seen him hump anything else. We examined him to make sure he healed well, and cleaned his scent glands.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

He may still be peeing. Rabbits aren’t the sharpest and sometimes “next to the litter box” is the same as “in the litter box”. Same thing goes for if the litter box is too annoying to hop into in the moment (the lip is too tall) or they’re having mobility issues (arthritis, obesity, sore leg, etc). Having a bigger litter box helps (every pet store sells xxl “multi cat” boxes for cheap) as does keeping hay in/accessible from inside it. Rabbits like to poop while they pee and they loving love to eat hay while they poop.
He definitely sprays sometimes--like when he's been sleeping in his crate, and I come in to let him out in the morning, and there's a small pool of liquid three feet from his crate that somehow hit the door, yeah.

I always put a handful of hay in his litter box, and his hay rack and water bottle are right next to it. (Putting his hay in a trough seemed to confuse him about where he's supposed to poop.) I'm thinking about moving the water bottle a little further down. I eventually figured out that this huge amount of liquid that has pooled around his litter box, that is completely odorless, is only staining the paper towels slightly yellowish because hay has been sitting in it.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

On the subject of bunnies being stupid fragile, how much sneezing is too much sneezing, and how much nose wetness is too much? I dunno if dingus just drinks funny from the water bowl or what - his nose *looks* fine, but it is often wet, and he keeps having little sneezing fits at night. I stopped burning candles except when company comes over (1 day/week or less), in case it's irritating him, but I don't know what the "vet right now" signs of respiratory problems are.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think he's mounting anything; he's neutered, and humped my leg exactly once about two weeks later, and I've never seen him hump anything else. We examined him to make sure he healed well, and cleaned his scent glands.

He definitely sprays sometimes--like when he's been sleeping in his crate, and I come in to let him out in the morning, and there's a small pool of liquid three feet from his crate that somehow hit the door, yeah.

I always put a handful of hay in his litter box, and his hay rack and water bottle are right next to it. (Putting his hay in a trough seemed to confuse him about where he's supposed to poop.) I'm thinking about moving the water bottle a little further down. I eventually figured out that this huge amount of liquid that has pooled around his litter box, that is completely odorless, is only staining the paper towels slightly yellowish because hay has been sitting in it.

Looking good. And yeah, I wasn’t really suggesting that Ludo had injured himself although it happens in both sexes. I personally prefer water dishes (like the kind with a reservoir) to bottles, although neither is totally drip/spill proof.

In my experience I found that the bowl ended up with way less water on the floor on average when it was in a corner of the enclosure, but every once in a while a (usually spooked) rabbit will step in it and make a bit of a mess.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Remora posted:

On the subject of bunnies being stupid fragile, how much sneezing is too much sneezing, and how much nose wetness is too much? I dunno if dingus just drinks funny from the water bowl or what - his nose *looks* fine, but it is often wet, and he keeps having little sneezing fits at night. I stopped burning candles except when company comes over (1 day/week or less), in case it's irritating him, but I don't know what the "vet right now" signs of respiratory problems are.

Hmmm...can’t really say but I’d consider ‘vet right soon’ instead of ‘vet right now’ if you’re worried. Normal appointments are a fraction the cost of an e-vet visit. Like $100 vs $1000.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

He's coming up on his annual checkup anyway. I might just do it early.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Here are the idiots.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
Both cute :)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Here are the idiots.

Smug-rear end cat.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

FactsAreUseless posted:

Smug-rear end cat.

Probably how he lost an eye.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Cat's smug because it thinks it's safe.

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013

grack posted:

Cat's smug because it thinks it's safe.

not for long...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.