Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

HJC ARIII? My liner has worn out after something like 40 days and it isn't the unicorn glove that my Arai motorcycle helmets were, but it is cheap and works.

HJC SA helmet liners are total loving garbage and I am soured on their stuff. I ran one of their Snell Ms for years for autocross and it's still in great shape after donating it to the club. My AR10-II liner is in tatters after 2.5 years of owning it.

edit: page snipe, have a photo of the racecar showing what you get for droop travel when you put EF suspension on an EK chassis.

Lost some weight this year too...wish that was with driver though.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I grabbed the Zamp, here's hoping it fits well.

Anyone used Enterprise or another rental company for towing cars to the track? I'm not able to always use the wife's highlander and tracks farther than a couple hours I'm nervous about towing with the VW. Doesn't help it isn't exactly flat around here. Have a ~500mi round trip in the next week to pick up a restoration project and may use it as a test of Enterprise truck rentals.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Did it with a uhaul truck and trailer once. The trailer was not designed for a lowered car but pulling the splitter and bumper let it squeeze on ok.

Otherwise it was fine.

Fuzz_83
Nov 9, 2016

Crustashio posted:

HJC SA helmet liners are total loving garbage and I am soured on their stuff. I ran one of their Snell Ms for years for autocross and it's still in great shape after donating it to the club. My AR10-II liner is in tatters after 2.5 years of owning it.

First batches of the liners for the AR10-II had that issue and they were exchanged under warranty if my memory serves me right.

Can't go wrong with Zamp, but I've been a fan of my HJC. I have to give up the SI-12 this year because it's due, so I'll be switching to a naked Stilo.

Nice EF. Lots of stickers from companies I know. I have a feeling I may know you though.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
I'm looking to get some help picking out brakes for my car. I will start doing some NASA HDPE events with my car this summer (2016 Golf R) and wanted some suggestions on brake compounds that would work. I will be running the car at the Utah Motorsports Complex near Salt Lake City Utah. It is a longer course and speeds will be quite higher than your typical parking lot autocross course. I would like something not too aggressive as I will still use the car as a DD from time to time. Also, should I also be concerned about changing the rotors out as well?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I have a problem. UHaul has changed their car trailer rental policy and now needs to inspect the vehicle being towed prior to reservation or they won’t release the trailer. I am in Seattle and have an appointment next Wednesday to have the base dyno tuning session done on my project (so, so, so not street-drivable for all the reasons) Z4M and now need alternate plans.

Anyone suggest somewhere I can rent a 16x7 low-deck car / equipment trailer for a day on short notice? Or have one (or a friend with one) that I could borrow and pay them for use of? My last option is to literally panic-buy one but that’s not a thing I needed to spend money on this week...

Any help / thoughts appreciated (except “tell them you’re towing your daily and get that inspected”, I’m not exposing myself to $100k+ liability to save $3.5k). :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is ...new... I rented one last week without having to deal with that. One of the trailer distributors around here rents trailers out (BigTex), maybe there is a manuf near you that does something similar. Either that, or just post in your local Facebook track group and someone will probably let you borrow one.

mrtrunks84 posted:

I'm looking to get some help picking out brakes for my car. I will start doing some NASA HDPE events with my car this summer (2016 Golf R) and wanted some suggestions on brake compounds that would work. I will be running the car at the Utah Motorsports Complex near Salt Lake City Utah. It is a longer course and speeds will be quite higher than your typical parking lot autocross course. I would like something not too aggressive as I will still use the car as a DD from time to time. Also, should I also be concerned about changing the rotors out as well?

Don't try to mess with a compromise pad since you have a heavy, powerful car that uses the brakes for torque vectoring and poo poo. Just get used to swapping pads.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Don't try to mess with a compromise pad since you have a heavy, powerful car that uses the brakes for torque vectoring and poo poo. Just get used to swapping pads.

Fair enough. We'll see how fast the brake fluid starts to boil on the first outing (assuming it even gets driven that hard) and I should start thinking about swapping that out. Does a racing (DOT 5?) type brake fluid need to be swapped in the winter if we get below freezing here?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
dont use dot5

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BlackMK4 posted:

That is ...new... I rented one last week without having to deal with that. One of the trailer distributors around here rents trailers out (BigTex), maybe there is a manuf near you that does something similar. Either that, or just post in your local Facebook track group and someone will probably let you borrow one.

Could be state-specific, too, I guess. But they did also call me today on a reservation I made ~6 weeks ago, so it could just be new, new, new.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HandlingByJebus posted:

Could be state-specific, too, I guess. But they did also call me today on a reservation I made ~6 weeks ago, so it could just be new, new, new.

That is some bullshit, sorry man :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

mrtrunks84 posted:

Fair enough. We'll see how fast the brake fluid starts to boil on the first outing (assuming it even gets driven that hard) and I should start thinking about swapping that out. Does a racing (DOT 5?) type brake fluid need to be swapped in the winter if we get below freezing here?

If you're doing track days you should be flushing your brake fluid fairly frequently. Every event may be overkill but that's what we did. Isn't that expensive and takes a half hour but you know you have fresh fluid.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have heard claims that castrol srf, which is like $65 per 500ml lasts longer than, say, motul rbf600 to the point of breaking even on cost but that is a lot of money for fluid. Doing a bunch of track days on the same stuff seems iffy to me especially if it's a long time between them. I think changing a less expensive fluid more often is probably the way to go as it makes sure the brakes are always well bled and the fluid in the calipers is fresh and there's less water in it.

I get a lot of pads and fluids and bbks and stuff and try to give pretty good pricing, so check with me before just buying stuff on the internet.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
SRF really is as good as people say it is. Haven't found in necessary in the honda (we just use castrol DOT4), but the heavier cars that race locally run SRF for a 6 weekend season without bleeding. Gulf 1000 is also another really good fluid, but not sure if you americans can get it.

When I still tracked my M3 regularly I used RBF600, bled prior to and after every event. Flushed once a year. It's not bad stuff and not too expensive.

Fuzz_83 posted:

First batches of the liners for the AR10-II had that issue and they were exchanged under warranty if my memory serves me right.

Can't go wrong with Zamp, but I've been a fan of my HJC. I have to give up the SI-12 this year because it's due, so I'll be switching to a naked Stilo.

Nice EF. Lots of stickers from companies I know. I have a feeling I may know you though.

Our club got replacement liners and they pretty much the had the same problem, just not made well.

Where do you live? I actually live/race in NS, despite the perry auto sticker. We just get lots of parts from them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

mrtrunks84 posted:

A set of aggressive pads like ST45, DTC-60, carbotech xp10, etc. + a spare set of front rotors just for track use is not a bad idea. Just swap em at the track, I did it last season and it worked really well for me.

Fuzz_83
Nov 9, 2016
SRF isn't cheap, so to "flush it often"... yikes!

Obviously it depends on what the problem is. Brake fade can be fluid, or pads. My recommendation is to check the pads.

Crustashio posted:

Where do you live? I actually live/race in NS, despite the perry auto sticker. We just get lots of parts from them.

I used to work at Perry. Did you do AutoX? Were you ever part of the group from NS that came out here for the CAC Championship??

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Fuzz_83 posted:

SRF isn't cheap, so to "flush it often"... yikes!

Obviously it depends on what the problem is. Brake fade can be fluid, or pads. My recommendation is to check the pads.

I used to work at Perry. Did you do AutoX? Were you ever part of the group from NS that came out here for the CAC Championship??

Yup, I was at the 2016 CAC and stopped by perry on the way back. Towed this thing up.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

mrtrunks84 posted:

DTC-60 or equivalent, in my opinion. They scream and they eat rotors, but they work great.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So, I see that there are two really good kart tracks within driving distance - PKRA and Musselman Honda Circuit. Would something like renting a LO206 be a good cross-training exercise, or will I be toeing into another black hole for money? I've never driven a kart before, but it seems a lot (holy gently caress a lot) cheaper and fun.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 21, 2019

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i think you can just buy a used one for like 1.5-2k with spares

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 21, 2019

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

Thanks for all the help. Look like I'll probably just get used to swapping brakes at the track along with rotor replacements. I just can't wait to see how my skills improve and build on the limitations of the car. I have some 18in Neuspeed RSe11's with winter tires on them that I will throw some summer/track tires on. Probably just go with the Pilot Sport 4s for now. I also have been looking at these...https://www.eurosportacc.com/collections/featured/products/18700k to help dial out the under-steer the MQB platform comes with from the factory.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
My first HPDE was on stock pads, and my next several were on street pads (stuff like Hawk HPS and HP+). I always thought it was better to experience brake fade for the first time early on with an instructor beside you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jamal posted:

I have heard claims that castrol srf, which is like $65 per 500ml lasts longer than, say, motul rbf600 to the point of breaking even on cost but that is a lot of money for fluid. Doing a bunch of track days on the same stuff seems iffy to me especially if it's a long time between them. I think changing a less expensive fluid more often is probably the way to go as it makes sure the brakes are always well bled and the fluid in the calipers is fresh and there's less water in it.

I get a lot of pads and fluids and bbks and stuff and try to give pretty good pricing, so check with me before just buying stuff on the internet.

If you can't afford $60 for brake fluid how can you afford track days?

I heard that SRF was the way to go and you don't have to change it very often, so that's what I did. So far so good.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't think it is a question of afford, more of justify. You can buy any number of cheaper fluids that will work for what most of us run

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Watch this from 50:05 to about 50:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p95Y7oSxdzQ&t=3005s
then watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKhRsAVfe64

:allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oh boy I sure am lucky all these cars slowed down, great time to pass!

E: Oh wow, he actually gets defensive about being chewed out by race officials. Holy poo poo dude. "That was a teachable moment, and they messed it up. I wasn't going that fast, I didn't touch nobody..." Oh gently caress no.

E2: Oh my god gently caress this guy. He then goes on about how he's friends with Henry Ford the 3rd and "they didn't know all the people I knew I would bad-mouth them to after being mean to me" rich people are the worst.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 23, 2019

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

He hosed up big time, as did his team telling him the black flag wasn't for him. People can get killed when you ignore the marshals, he deserved to get chewed out.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

He hosed up big time, as did his team telling him the black flag wasn't for him. People can get killed when you ignore the marshals, he deserved to get chewed out.

Entitlement is a hell of a drug. It's hard to see it and often I try to self reflect when I immediately get mad on the road when someone does something "I" think was "wrong." When I eventually post up my videos, help me not to be this guy on the track.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The funny thing is, watching the video the first time I didn't even catch a whole lot of it. The part that blows my mind is that was apparently under a full course yellow - seems like they're all going awfully fast for FCY conditions? Granted, that dipshit is the only one passing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

IOwnCalculus posted:

Granted, that dipshit is the only one passing.

He passes the last car on the straight at 150. The passed car's probably doing at least 100, so yeah, definitely not fully eased up.
His claim that he passed a couple people at 50mph makes his version of the story more sympathetic, but that's not what on-board video was showing.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The whole group of them is a bunch of dip shits, none of them were checking flag stands and if they were they should have slowed the hell down. It was standing yellow from at least the start of that lap, I didn't go back further. This entitled rear end in a top hat is even worse and what we see way too often anymore. That 'laser like focus' aka red mist is dangerous as hell and leads to stuff like this. "Some debris on the track" was a disabled car, rollback and pickup truck...everyone is very lucky that was on a straight with good visibility and not following a blind corner.

/rant sorry

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

And at any rate... understanding what yellow flags are and how to handle them are literally racing 101. So, yes, I would absolutely expect any racing official to be utterly livid if someone was flagrantly disregarding something so loving basic.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

NitroSpazzz posted:

The whole group of them is a bunch of dip shits, none of them were checking flag stands and if they were they should have slowed the hell down.

They were backed off to 7-8/10th's, that's what you do under a full course yellow so you can catch up to the pace/safety car.

In if you are going too slowly, the pace car can't bunch up the field. AER has black flagged cars for going too slowly during a full course yellow.

AER would have red flagged it if there was debris on the track that was a serious risk.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

NitroSpazzz posted:

The whole group of them is a bunch of dip shits, none of them were checking flag stands and if they were they should have slowed the hell down. It was standing yellow from at least the start of that lap, I didn't go back further. This entitled rear end in a top hat is even worse and what we see way too often anymore. That 'laser like focus' aka red mist is dangerous as hell and leads to stuff like this. "Some debris on the track" was a disabled car, rollback and pickup truck...everyone is very lucky that was on a straight with good visibility and not following a blind corner.

/rant sorry

everyone else went 11+ seconds off pace on a ~1:43ish track whereas this guy kept doing laps within ~2 seconds of his best time

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

crazzy posted:

They were backed off to 7-8/10th's, that's what you do under a full course yellow so you can catch up to the pace/safety car.

Yup, this is exactly what I was taught for FCY. After a lap you should know where the incident is, and the white flags will let you know where recovery is. Once the pace car is out (they actually indicate that to us with signboards at my track) you drive at a controlled pace to get to the pack. While near the incident slow down and heads up.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

crazzy posted:

In if you are going too slowly, the pace car can't bunch up the field. AER has black flagged cars for going too slowly during a full course yellow.

AER would have red flagged it if there was debris on the track that was a serious risk.

Idk what AER’s driver briefings are like but double yellows like that in WRL were meant to be taken slower than 70% racing speed iirc.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
so this has blown up a little bit in the past few days

someone dropped a mix tape about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp9a8GbT_fs

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamn that's good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

so this has blown up a little bit in the past few days

someone dropped a mix tape about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp9a8GbT_fs

gently caress I came here to post this :)

This is up there with

https://youtu.be/0xAHhfhHR8A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
gently caress that guy. I've had cars and bikes come off the track at me when I've been responding under yellows because drivers/riders weren't paying attention. It's about as fun as you can imagine. He deserved to get yelled at a million percent.

Crustashio posted:

Once the pace car is out (they actually indicate that to us with signboards at my track) you drive at a controlled pace to get to the pack. While near the incident slow down and heads up.

You're welcome! I wrote that SC procedure like 6-7 years ago and I wanted those boards because they make it much more clear o you guys what is happening when you're at speed. I much prefer the FIA style of flags (everything is waved except debris, single waved yellow for off track, double for on track, SC board etc) because it's all waved and has less double uses for flags. Keeps things a bit simpler while still giving the same info, so people get flags wrong less.