Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Thanks to whoever here recommended 'The Witch Part 1' it was dope. Without that recommendation, I wouldn't have given it a go and I definitely wouldn't have stuck around for the pretty uneventful first hour. It does a really good job selling superhuman fighting on a limited budget. If anything, the flying around and slamming into each other coming in fits and spurts (rather than some endless, non stop CGI sequence) makes every beat clearer, and makes it feel like they're people making decisions. It's also brutal as gently caress. Is it getting a sequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's really kind of funny that, when Japan decided to start going scorched-earth on media violence, the entire rest of Asia seemingly went "welp that leaves us a niche" and started making insanely brutal movies

e: also, at a google, The Witch Part 1 made 5x its budget back, so between that and the title I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say it's probably getting a sequel

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Are there movies with good spear fight scenes? I can only remember Hero, but that's about the only one. Doesn't matter if it's Asian or Western.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

Are there movies with good spear fight scenes? I can only remember Hero, but that's about the only one. Doesn't matter if it's Asian or Western.

Troy has a god one, so does Fearless. It is cinematically neglected weapon though.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The Legend of Drunken Master with Jackie Chan? Underneath the train, that bit.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
There are some trident fights in The Masked Avengers

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Immortals has some spear and trident fighting.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Eight Diagram Pole Fighter might scratch your itch or smash your teeth.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Red Cliff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC-oZZbET3I

Dirty Ho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiFQwyG_epw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p59Q3ZGD3Xo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Troy has a god one, so does Fearless. It is cinematically neglected weapon though.

Troy is the one that jumped to my mind immediately. For someone who hadn't watched a ton of classic kung fu movies, that scene in Troy really stood out as unique.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon also has some good spear stuff in it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
This looks like it is going to feature some halberd fighting. They're just fancy spears, when you think about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoJ_FTUirzE

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

MrBling posted:

This looks like it is going to feature some halberd fighting. They're just fancy spears, when you think about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoJ_FTUirzE

I've been pretty skeptical about Zhang Yimou since Curse of the Golden Flower, but I saw this trailer in the theater the other week and couldn't help but get a little bit excited

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This is where I apologize to everyone in the world who told me to watch Kong: Skull Island whom I ignored. I watched it this weekend, and I feel shame for not having seen it in the theater. Jesus, this movie is so good. I was hooked from the first moment of the movie, but around the 30 minute mark I fell absolutely in love. Where the somewhat realistic feeling Vietnam War era military movie changes in the blink of an eye with a tree through a helicopter. I lost track of the amount of times I yelled out, “Holy poo poo, this movie!” while laughing. Perfect balance of brutal action and comedy. We, as a people, do not deserve a King Kong movie this good. It rules.

It is So. drat. Good.

"That was an unconventional encounter."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

I've been pretty skeptical about Zhang Yimou since Curse of the Golden Flower, but I saw this trailer in the theater the other week and couldn't help but get a little bit excited

It's getting a UHD release in the U.S. too, which has me looking forward to it even more.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FancyMike posted:

Curse of the Golden Flower
The movie ended and I was like, wait, that's it?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Chushingura has some spear work in and around the big fight scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfNnGcW8E7g

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Kung-Fu Hustle has some fun spear work.

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009

this movie is underrated imo, may those who disagree be visited by the Bitter Sisters

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Schneider Heim posted:

The Hidden Fortress is the obvious one. The finale of Wing Chun also has some fun stuff being done with a spear.

If poles count, there's this scene from Pedicab Driver.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Sorry to change the subject completely, but that recent CGI resident evil movie (Vendetta) might have one of the few genuinely good CGI action scenes. It did the rounds on Youtube (link below) but it's where the two heroes John Wick a whole bunch of zombies, using a mix of grappling martial arts and shooting them in the face. What strikes me about is that it doesn't fall into the usual trap of CGI action scenes, thinking 'we can do anything, as big and crazy as you want' and instead does something lower key, that you could do practically. The advantage of doing it in CGI is that you would really struggle to do any of it as smoothly and precisely as they do here. It would take Jackie Chan in his prime, plus the best practical gore effects imaginable to do it this well. It's an otherwise unremarkable movie, but it's a good example of a CGI team thinking 'what should we do' not 'what can we do?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi3KaxTlbuM

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The RE CGI movies are honestly both a ton of fun.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
... wait what the gently caress when did they make a third one? I legit only saw Degeneration and Damnation and had no idea that one existed. I need to see this ASAP, the first two rule.

e: holy poo poo, the guy who directed the Hard Revenge Milly movies did Vendetta? I haven't seen those in... literally about a decade, but I remember them being among the highlights of all the weird Japanese poo poo on early Netflix, definitely up there with stuff like Machine Girl and Tokyo Gore Police.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 23, 2019

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks to all the responses, everyone! And yes poles are also good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I love polearms and wish they got more play in martial arts/action flicks, especially the humble quarterstaff.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

If you like poles I watched Once Upon a Time in China 2 last night and Donnie Yen and Jet Li have two great fights

https://youtu.be/826JgxsoDDM

FancyMike fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 23, 2019

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
so uhm .. this is apparently something that is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNloYlIjLnI

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

so uhm .. this is apparently something that is happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNloYlIjLnI

No. What? Noooo. That can't be real.

thrawn527 posted:

This is where I apologize to everyone in the world who told me to watch Kong: Skull Island whom I ignored. I watched it this weekend, and I feel shame for not having seen it in the theater. Jesus, this movie is so good. I was hooked from the first moment of the movie, but around the 30 minute mark I fell absolutely in love. Where the somewhat realistic feeling Vietnam War era military movie changes in the blink of an eye with a tree through a helicopter. I lost track of the amount of times I yelled out, “Holy poo poo, this movie!” while laughing. Perfect balance of brutal action and comedy. We, as a people, do not deserve a King Kong movie this good. It rules.

It is So. drat. Good.

"That was an unconventional encounter."

It is a fantastic bad movie. I hope it gets the cult following it deserves.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Failson posted:

It's not, it's some rich failson doing a fan film with MMA fighters (including Sage Northcutt) apparently.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Failson posted:

It is a fantastic bad movie. I hope it gets the cult following it deserves.

What’s bad about it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DeimosRising posted:

What’s bad about it

Hiddleston and Larson both really stink in it

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
They're so out of place and clearly give less than zero fucks. Should've just been Goodman and Sam with their crews.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

DeimosRising posted:

What’s bad about it

The “it’s the goddamn 70s” chromatic aberration in every shot got annoying.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The “it’s the goddamn 70s” chromatic aberration in every shot got annoying.

I loved it, because it felt like an actual Vietnam War movie until a loving tree was chucked through a chopper. It effectively sold these characters, who felt like they were from a different movie, being freaked the gently caress out at a giant ape tearing through their team.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Larson was ok but given very little to do, so I don't blame her.

Hiddleston I actually enjoyed quite a bit, I liked his take on the whole badass jungle guide character. At this point I know I'm in the minority but I never really understood the criticism there.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Best part of the movie was Samuel L. Jackson, in the middle of a very tense scene, yelling “BITCH PLEASE” at Brie Larson.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

Larson was ok but given very little to do, so I don't blame her.

Hiddleston I actually enjoyed quite a bit, I liked his take on the whole badass jungle guide character. At this point I know I'm in the minority but I never really understood the criticism there.

Me neither. Larson just has a lovely character and script to work with. Her scene with the islanders was good. Hiddleston has never looked more badass, and if you're saying "well he's not really that badass" I agree with you, he looks like Lord Fauntleroy's inbred evil son most of the time and the fact that they were able to get him into a passable leading action guy look is pretty impressive.

Also don't sleep on John C "it's a fuckin' ant" Reilly

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also don't sleep on John C "it's a fuckin' ant" Reilly

Does anyone know if that line was improv? It feels like it, and it rules.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The easiest way to improve Skull Island would be to completely eliminate that sideplot with the southern dude who writes to his wife or whatever back home and then they find his dog tags later. None of it lands and there had to be a more efficient way to show that Jackson's character was going full-Kurtz than that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Also that bummed me out, I liked that guy! Was glad to see him in The Hurricane Heist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

thrawn527 posted:

I loved it, because it felt like an actual Vietnam War movie until a loving tree was chucked through a chopper. It effectively sold these characters, who felt like they were from a different movie, being freaked the gently caress out at a giant ape tearing through their team.
The Nixon head wagging maniacally on the console was a nice touch.