Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dahl left Zarpedon to watch over the Pandora system. Nobody knew what happened to her and Atlas had come a knocking so all Dahl probably knew was that they had lost their military defense around Pandora and they were in no position to challenge the Crimson Lance. I doubt the Dahl corporation at large even knew Zarpedon had opened a Vault, just that the moon suddenly lost 90% of its atmosphere and an entire fleet vanished in a vaguely explained cataclysm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's called the Lost Legion because it was Lost. They aren't in contact with Dahl. They opened the Vault on their own and made the decision to destroy it on their own.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 21, 2019

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
This point is that BLPS isn't a game primarily about whatever went down between Dahl and Atlas on Elpis.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yes, which is why the Crackening has nothing to do with that and only has to do with Zarpedon's personal motivations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Clarste posted:

Yes, which is why the Crackening has nothing to do with that and only has to do with Zarpedon's personal motivations.

The Crackening doesn't have any effect on the story at all other than explaining Janey's immediate predicament. Everything else is second-order stuff, like Dahl's pullout or the First Fleet I guess explaining why all of the characters from Pandora recur.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Had a listen to the echo logs from Vorago Solitude:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR7ishB1ZKM

So the Crackening took place four years prior to the events of the Pre-Sequel. We know that there's a gap of five years occurs between BL1 and BL2, and we know from the echo logs in Sanctuary that The Crimson Raiders are formed in response to the Hyperion invasion of Pandora. Brick mentions he was kicked out of the raiders three years before the events of BL2, so the Raiders were formed in response to Jack invading Pandora two years after BL1 at the very latest. So the events of TPS must have happened at most two years after the events of BL1, meaning the Crackening definitely happened between two and four years before BL1.

All assuming that any thought at all went into the timeline, which, y'know, lol.

I don't actually remember what Janey's crackening predicament is? The only thing I remember being relevant as a direct consequence of the Crackening is that Pickle's parents died in it and his sister Eliza went missing during it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I don't actually remember what Janey's crackening predicament is? The only thing I remember being relevant as a direct consequence of the Crackening is that Pickle's parents died in it and his sister Eliza went missing during it.

Janey is one of the few people left over from before the Crackening, and it's why all her poo poo is ruined. It's implied that it's why she's isolated in the first place, since it destroyed the bridge that connected her to Concordia and she's been cut off from supplies or rescue or anyone to talk to for a while.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cease to Hope posted:

Janey is one of the few people left over from before the Crackening, and it's why all her poo poo is ruined. It's implied that it's why she's isolated in the first place, since it destroyed the bridge that connected her to Concordia and she's been cut off from supplies or rescue or anyone to talk to for a while.

Isn't she isolated because Deadlift stole her digistruct key for the Moon Zoomy?

EDIT: Are you inferring that she was on Elpis before the Crackening from her mentioning that the building she keeps the Oz kits in used to be intact? Given that Janey is a scavenger I don't think it follows that she owned the building before the Crackening, she may be using a ruined building, and happens to know that most ruined buildings on Elpis were ruined in the Crackening. Is there some other place she mentions being around beforehand?

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 21, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well he's kind of a dickhead.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Isn't she isolated because Deadlift stole her digistruct key for the Moon Zoomy?

EDIT: Are you inferring that she was on Elpis before the Crackening from her mentioning that the building she keeps the Oz kits in used to be intact? Given that Janey is a scavenger I don't think it follows that she owned the building before the Crackening, she may be using a ruined building, and happens to know that most ruined buildings on Elpis were ruined in the Crackening. Is there some other place she mentions being around beforehand?

She also tells the story about how "they" arrived with the First Fleet in the main mission trunk, and implies that she's one of the few people who are telling the story of what happened before the First Fleet showed up. Her nursery rhyme quest says implies that the direct cause of all of her misery is Dahl causing the Crackening by delving too deep, and that she was injured and Steph was killed by a kraggon from a crack. She tells you she's been isolated for several months in the cat photo quest.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cease to Hope posted:

She also tells the story about how "they" arrived with the First Fleet in the main mission trunk, and implies that she's one of the few people who are telling the story of what happened before the First Fleet showed up. Her nursery rhyme quest says implies that the direct cause of all of her misery is Dahl causing the Crackening by delving too deep, and that she was injured and Steph was killed by a kraggon from a crack. She tells you she's been isolated for several months in the cat photo quest.

Yeah, I can see how the nursery rhyme quest implies she was there beforehand, fair point. Still, if she's been isolated for only "several months" then she can't be isolated because of the crackening, given that happened several years ago.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Yeah, I can see how the nursery rhyme quest implies she was there beforehand, fair point. Still, if she's been isolated for only "several months" then she can't be isolated because of the crackening, given that happened several years ago.

I don't think BLPS (or BL2, for that matters) has a well-considered timeline of events in general.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Cease to Hope posted:

I don't think BLPS (or BL2, for that matters) has a well-considered timeline of events in general.

Couldn't agree more! Still, in this particular instance I do think "Digistruct key was stolen by Deadlift" is the explicit reason Janey is stranded:

quote:

Well, he also stole my Moon Zoomy digistruct key, stranded me out here, and got really rude when I told him I wasn't into guys. But mainly the being-a-dick thing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cease to Hope posted:

Yeah, Burch seems more on the side of memes than worldbuilding.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Couldn't agree more! Still, in this particular instance I do think "Digistruct key was stolen by Deadlift" is the explicit reason Janey is stranded:

That's fair.

For what it's worth, Janey's "old camp" in the nursery rhyme quest was apparently destroyed by the Crackening while she and Steph were in it. Her things are tangled in the debris, and the old abandoned bedroll is right against the edge of the shattered building. She also mentions (on her tapes) that the kraggons attacked her and killed Steph. Then, in the light reactor quest, she mentions that, a few months ago, she was attacked by a kraggon and got the scar on her stomach. This is all implication, though, but you have to do some piecing together, since all of her dialogue is colored by her deep denial of what really happened in the attack that scarred her and killed Steph.

I sometimes suspect that the Crackening was meant to be something that happens in the course of the game, as a result of the Helios laser being fired, and that's why Janey's chapter is so haphazard.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 21, 2019

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Could maybe have been a way to re-use maps, you go back after the laser blows everything up and there's some new areas opened up. I definitely agree that the Crackening subplot (?) felt very strange, like it was supposed to be a mystery but they just drop it by the time you get to Sanctuary.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anthony Burch wrote Pre-Sequel

That explains everything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do you think they'll keep the radio ads from BL2 in the game? I want to hear more about Comrade Vladof arming every single revolutionary possible to take down the oppressors.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do you think they'll keep the radio ads from BL2 in the game? I want to hear more about Comrade Vladof arming every single revolutionary possible to take down the oppressors.

Yes plz. The advertisements in BL1 and BL2 really added to the atmosphere. It kept things post apocalyptic, but also irreverent.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With S&S Munitions back for third game I want to see what kind of ads they'd run. Maybe some fight with Bandit over who has better high capacity guns.

The community patch has made the level curve in BL2 so much nicer. I haven't had a death that felt cheap yet, though I'm dreading the badass pyre Thresher in the Caustic Caverns. Assault rifles are still a little underpowered but spinguns finally have a good niche.
My Zero is running with a sanctuary chest obtained Vladof Molokai e-tecy gun and with the projectile velocity and critical hit skills this thing is basically a burst fire rail gun.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 23, 2019

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I still like that dialogue they dug up for the Unused Corporation Vendors, especially for Bandit.

"I smeared my diarrhea on the handle, now that's called Viral Marketing!"

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I still like that dialogue they dug up for the Unused Corporation Vendors, especially for Bandit.

"I smeared my diarrhea on the handle, now that's called Viral Marketing!"

When poop jokes go too far and become a public health hazard

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I'm going back through TPS and I'm having a ton of trouble with the vault boss, whose first form keeps nearly one shotting me at the start of the fight. I don't think it's a reflected bullets (that comes later). What the heck is this?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

wdarkk posted:

So I'm going back through TPS and I'm having a ton of trouble with the vault boss, whose first form keeps nearly one shotting me at the start of the fight. I don't think it's a reflected bullets (that comes later). What the heck is this?

I don't think he should be hitting that hard so early unless you are under leveled? I don't really remember much besides don't fire into the deflect.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
If you're L26 for normal, or L51 for TVHM, Sentinel shouldn't be too hard. The shockwave should nearly kill you it if hits, but there's no OHKO moves.

Was overleveled the entire time in TVHM/Play2 in BL1, though that didn't really matter a whole lot since there's not really any obvious damage mitigation like in Diablo where you stroll in with a huge defense stat. Finished at L55 or L56, Destroyer was L57, and almost every single enemy was L47-L50. The instant The Destroyer died every single enemy in game was re-tuned to L56, which was a rude surprise when I walked to the outside of the vault and started getting wrecked by the respawned guardians. Now the game tunes all of the enemies to my level or one level above me, which makes for quick leveling and quicker dying.

At least the loot was dragged up in level too.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

wdarkk posted:

Is it the circular AOE wave that covers the whole arena ? It does a periodic AOE with an obvious buildup but you can avoid it by going behind one of the rocky outcrops, they break the wave

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
You can also jump at that point. If you are like me you can just do some side missions to get to a higher level which will mean you take less damage.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ok me trying to do it at level 47 MIGHT be the problem.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

one thing i've missed from borderlands 1 is that elemental damage feels a lot less like rock paper scissors and more just like different damage types with strengths and weaknesses

one thing i haven't missed in the slightest is the drop rates of pearls, those things are just unnecessarily rare

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Really wish there was some mod that would combine the good parts of TPS with the good parts of BL2. Just put the levels/enemies/bosses/etc into the BLTPS scaling system and characters.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

watho posted:

one thing i've missed from borderlands 1 is that elemental damage feels a lot less like rock paper scissors and more just like different damage types with strengths and weaknesses

one thing i haven't missed in the slightest is the drop rates of pearls, those things are just unnecessarily rare

this is coming back in 3. where elements are important according to reports.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Borderlands went a bit too far in the wrong direction. Every time I'd play it I got something like a double anarchy or a masher and then never had any reason to touch any other gun except curiosity.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The problem is specifically with mashers and anarchies, mashers less so since revolvers have a 100% elemental effect chance which balances things out a bit

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

watho posted:

The problem is specifically with mashers and anarchies, mashers less so since revolvers have a 100% elemental effect chance which balances things out a bit

That doesn't change my point, that the good weapons are so good that you never really need to switch them out for any reason. As boring as Grog/DPUH may have been, you didn't luck into it at level 15 then never use anything else.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Launchers have it pretty bad too. The 3 rockets in one ammo ones eclipse the other variants completely.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I think Borderlands and Borderlands 2 are a good argument for why nerfs are necessary. All of the weapons live in the shadow of a handful of super OP weapons in BL, and the flat leveling curve means one of those OP guns is likely to blow you past the last boss without ever knowing what happened.

BL2 has some better diversity for most of the game and the sharp level scaling means that very few weapons are worth using after 10ish levels, but UVHM and especially the OP levels are tuned for Grog/Sandhawk/DPUH/Bee/Fleet/Sham/Slagga shenanigans. You don't have to use those weapons, but the game is tuned based on the idea you have them, so it's punishingly hard compared to what was up to this point wacky shooter silliness.

It's not the sole cause of BL2's difficulty issues. Capstone-focused talent design makes half the classes feel very underwhelming in normal mode. TVHM already has issues with poor survivability, little innate health recovery, and bullet sponge enemies. But the unwillingness to rein in the outliers means that the vast, vast majority of guns aren't good enough to keep up, even if they are nominally "good" according to their rarity.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
“When everything is OP, nothing is OP” has always been a bullshit ideology and a good way to tell if you should immediately ignore someone’s thoughts on design.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I remember when Borderlands got released, everyone was like "what the hell??!?!?!". You can easily boost your friends levels. You can use a hex editor to cheat. You can get billions of guns, and boss enemies explode on guns when they die.

Older games make you work hard before you get one level. Make sure you can't boost your friends. Carefully balance the power between a few curated tools and weapons. ...Make sure you don't have fun.

Hellgate London had encrypted savegames, and a different savegame to play online and other to play offline. Borderlands only had one savegame you can play online and offline, and that are easy to hack to make your weapons awesome.

Borderlands is pure "YOLO gently caress that, gently caress balance, gently caress curated anything".

The only problem with this is the first early levels weapons are a bit lacking. But since you progress so fast in levels, and get so many weapons, it don't take very long for people to find one or two good weapons.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The implication that I got re: the Crackening was it happened via the Lost Legion opening the vault before the events of the game. The Eye of Helios couldn't have been responsible because the player saw it being fired for the first time (Janey calls you and goes "what the gently caress was that", Jack goes "How did they know about the Eye of Helios?", ect).

Kith fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Some problems with "gently caress balance" in Borderlands games, especially later ones:

It's very difficult to look at a gun and tell if it is good. There are lots of unintuitive traps even in generic weapons, like ammo hogs, weapons too inaccurate to use at any range beyond melee, and weapons that can't crit. Conversely, weapons which are good, like semiauto Jakobs and Maliwan snipers, are often good because of undocumented features, like extra crit damage or splash damage. This is a pain while playing multiplayer with people of a different skill level especially: there's the pressure to loot quickly and get moving (or possibly get all the good loot taken first). Friendly partners wont do that, but the game encourages some toxic dynamics.

This intersects with the chaff loot. Bag space is at a premium so there's a pressure to get rid of guns quickly, meaning it's easy to vendor a gun and realize too late your replacement sucks. It's also easy to look at your full bags and ignore a promising low-ish rarity gun that would have been a big upgrade.

The chaff also comes into play with uniques. It isn't obvious that a unique gun is important, both in general and in particular. Their names often are partially procedurally generated, obscuring anything that makes them special, and the red text is oblique to the point of uselessness. When you home in on a unique that is actually unique, you need an exterior wiki to figure out why it's so special, because often it's multiple things or nothing at all. Contrast Shotgun 1340 or Boganella or even Cutie Killer, which have basically nothing going for them over a similar generic weapon besides the voice, with Kitten, which has a listed projectile multiplier, an unlisted special firing/flight pattern, and an unlisted healing mechanic.

This obfuscation often feels like there's no light at the end of the tunnel when you've outleveled your weapons and all you seem to get from quests are gimmicky garbage or completely useless generic chaff. (Many quests don't give unique guns at all, and you need a wiki to know this!)

On top of all of this, you will usually get 0-2 legendary drops in a typical playthrough in BL2. (BLPS is a bit better about this but not much better.) Bosses "explode into guns" but most of them will have zero chance of not being generic. It's frustrating to kill a boss for the first time - especially a boss like the Warrior - and leave everything to rot.

tl;dr: the bad balance and relative stinginess of loot means that the new player experience is loving miserable.