Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Beach Day - Star gets ready to actually have the day at the beach with Marco.
Gone Baby Gone - Marco misplaces both Mariposa and Meteora somewhere in Hekapoo's dimension.

Oh, the possibility of a re-grown up Meteora reacting to the rest of the cast is very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pony Head is such a loving maniac it's wrapped around into being kind of great.

ed: Sir Marco could take a lifelong post introducing Mewni to the idea of safe containment procedures for magical superweapons rather than just leaving them laying around.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 15, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder if that means it's Globgor possibly channeling power while in his crystal? Or another attack on Eclipsa? What exactly is the magical high commission's vested interest in Mewni anyways if they're not bothering to try helping Eclipsa and just being dicks?

And then there's the inside-wand episode that I don't really know what to think about. What are those butterflies? One of Eclipsa's spells on Meteora had one...What was Eclipsa's tenure as Princess/Queen like? We got some more glimpses at her days of being a meangirl with some of her spells too.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Amazon split the newest episodes into Season 6/Season 7, but there's no season purchase option for 7 yet, and this makes me

a n g e r y

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder if that means it's Globgor possibly channeling power while in his crystal? Or another attack on Eclipsa? What exactly is the magical high commission's vested interest in Mewni anyways if they're not bothering to try helping Eclipsa and just being dicks?

And then there's the inside-wand episode that I don't really know what to think about. What are those butterflies? One of Eclipsa's spells on Meteora had one...What was Eclipsa's tenure as Princess/Queen like? We got some more glimpses at her days of being a meangirl with some of her spells too.

The spell was the "Darkest Spell" Eclipsa taught Moon back in "Moon the Undaunted," the one that could have (And should have, that'll teach you to try and weasel out of deals Moon <:mad:>) Toffee.

As to Eclipsa's tenure as Princess/Queen, it was pretty short. As described in the Book of Spells, she grew up in the castle as it was under a years-long siege by monsters, started dating Globgor in secret, and then was arranged to marry Shastacan by her mother, Solaria. After Solaria died in battle, Eclipsa took over, married Shastacan while continuing to see Globgor, and then eventually decided to give up being queen as the pressures of leading a war against the monsters while in love with Globgor (Himself a prince in the monster hierarchy) became too much to bear.

e: There's been far fewer title cards from the crew this season (Understandable, since most of them have already moved on to new projects), but Cassie Zwart posted some from two of her episodes and they're incredible:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 16, 2019

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So if that nameless spell is that powerful and now sealed away, I'm guessing the heroes are SOL for whatever's coming down the road.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Maybe it's the magic-equivalent of a nuclear weapon

The last episode is called "Tavern at the End of the Multiverse" and I'm going to guess that's a reference to the Douglas Adams book "Restaurant at the End of the Universe", featuring a restaurant in space just before the end of the universe to which customers time-travel to watch it as mealtime entertainment

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 16, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Eclipsa was Solaria's daughter, iirc, and that would make her developing terrifying superweapon spells a chip off the old block. Though it seems implied that Solaria was a lot more interested in how she could use the want to empower other Mewmans, hence the Solarian warriors, and probably not the first time given Mewnipendence Day/The Great Monster Massacre seems to have been perpetrated with giant armour suits like the one that Mina is reassembling. Also puts in perspective how Eclipsa's magic is subversive, incredibly destructive, and as she admits herself, developed solely for her own benefit; she grew up in the middle of a war and expecting to possibly have to fight huge, powerful monsters, but didn't want to distribute any more horrible weapons to others that she can't control. (and in contrast, it seems implied Festivia mostly used the wand to feed and protect the people of Mewni and throw parties while under siege)

Also was an offscreen gag, but Star fought Rhombulus in a brawl and won handily from all appearances. Last time they got in a fight I'm pretty sure it was a standstill at best.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Welp, iTunes spoiled a major plot point with their summary for the rest of the show so maybe try to avoid that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also I loved getting a glimpse of Moon's prim and proper spells having their little tea party inside the wand

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/piriie/status/1118581012148043776

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I like is that just before his demise, Toffee claims that "Only [he] know[s] how this all turns out!" due to himself being the only being privvy to his own plans. I like the idea that what's happening now is all something Toffee tried to set up to manipulate, but since he's now dead, the train is running away with itself with no one at the controls and no one knows just what the hell is going to happen. I like the idea of the puppetmaster dying before the show completes and the puppets just going "What now?"

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

A little sneak peek by TVInsider for this Sunday's episodes revealed Globgor himself! Voiced by Jaime Camil! It's hard to get much from a 30 second clip of a song but I'm reasonably certain this is occuring in Eclipsa's imagination. I'd love to be wrong though.

I want the episode already :negative:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

coronatae posted:

A little sneak peek by TVInsider for this Sunday's episodes revealed Globgor himself! Voiced by Jaime Camil! It's hard to get much from a 30 second clip of a song but I'm reasonably certain this is occuring in Eclipsa's imagination. I'd love to be wrong though.

I want the episode already :negative:

I think it's going to be a flashback episode, going by the lyrics. But yeah, definitely looking forward to the episodes this week.

Link for those who want to see the clip.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I really like Globgor. He's cool. I like his surprisingly soft voice. also Tom pointing out that Mewni is obsessed with corn was funny.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I told you guys Globgor wouldn't be evil. Eclipsa's big promo poster lied, too.

I also like the moment of democratization at the end. A representative democracy would be good for basically everyone at this point, and I am fully prepared for the show to head in that direction.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This show is good.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Hey I was right about the first duet being an imagine spot (of sorts)

-In Eclipsa's monster dating guide she specifically notes that size-shifters are great at tight two-part harmonies

-Looks like Meteora's doing great with her wandless magic!

-I wonder what the Spiderbites think of all this

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

coronatae posted:

Hey I was right about

-I wonder what the Spiderbites think of all this

It'll be one hell of an awkward dinner. I'm guessing maybe Mina makes her move in a way that unintentionally puts the Spiderbites in danger as well as Globgor, and maybe his actions end up saving them, helping them see him in a different light. Or they just talk about what happened and have a sort of "Well, I'm not really sure what I can say about what I did 500 years ago... 'sorry' doesn't really seem to cut it..."

I also really like that it seems he keeps Eclipsa in check just as much as he does, where he's like "We're in my mind? That's a little gross... so where am I?"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 21, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
There were some stumbles at the start of the season, but the past few weeks of episodes have consistently been pretty great. Some thoughts on this week's:

-Tom and Marco hanging out, dudes being bros, is great.
-It's interesting that Marco and Kelly broke up only a handful of episodes after getting together. I think I can see why—the writers have been dropping extremely unsubtle hints that Star and Marco still harbor deep feelings for each other, and even with the curse removed Marco can't get over his attraction to Star—but the pacing still feels a bit awkward.
-Globgor is dapper as gently caress and Jaime Camil was great casting.
-Eclipsa still has significant problems putting her own needs beneath those of the Kingdom, and I think that's going to come up again once Mina's plan reveals itself. She's had some significant growth—for instance, her first instinct upon seeing Globgor had been freed was to alert the citizens as opposed to going after him herself—but if it comes down to protecting Mewni or protecting her family... well, chances are she's going to choose her family. (Though to be entirely fair, Moon did exactly that in Return to Mewni, rushing to protect Star while leaving the Kingdom helpless against Toffee).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Even if they weren't in on the initial plot, the other members of the Magical High Commission suuuuure were eager to launch a coup.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tetracube posted:

there's "average fandom" bad which describes all those shows

and then there's "I've seen the word 'loli' more times than I'm comfortable with" bad

i'm gonna be honest: you can usually see this coming without actually looking

if a show a) has female characters that are designed in even a semi-visually-appealing way, b) has them be the main focus for at least a large chunk of it, and c) has them be underage, stay far far FAR away from the fandom

e: Gravity Falls is like the only exception I can think of and I think that's primarily because GF's fandom skews more towards hipsters than basement dwellers, and secondarily because its art style really does not invite sexualization

e2: with Loud House I find it actively hard to believe, between that show's premise and the fact that there's been a loving Loss reference in a background drawing, that the creators aren't deliberately trying to invite the creeps in

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 22, 2019

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: Gravity Falls is like the only exception I can think of and I think that's primarily because GF's fandom skews more towards hipsters than basement dwellers, and secondarily because its art style really does not invite sexualization

sounds like someone (luckily) wasn't in the /co/ /gfg/ threads back in the day

though thinking back, I think a lot of the creepiness in those threads were from what people were saying, not the images they were posting

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 22, 2019

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

The Star Vs subreddit is a painful hellhole of idiots and shipping. At least on /co/ there are a few who want to discuss the lore :negative:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

coronatae posted:

The Star Vs subreddit is a painful hellhole of idiots and shipping. At least on /co/ there are a few who want to discuss the lore :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I am delighted by watching Star become a sassy version of her mother as Eclipsa keeps forcing her to be the adult in the room.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

I am delighted by watching Star become a sassy version of her mother as Eclipsa keeps forcing her to be the adult in the room.

Also Moon's attitude slowly turning into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqTjKhYh4fs
She's just so done being the kingdom's mommy and as far as she's concerned it's Eclipsa's problem to deal with, but the worst people just won't leave her the gently caress alone.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Something else I really like is the writing quality in the relationships between Star, Tom, and Macro. A lesser show would short-shrift it by making Tom more of a jerk, but the way he's presented it makes sense that Star is attracted to him and that Marco is his friend. That triumvirate is probably the best constructed narrative tension in the show, in the sense that there are multiple satisfactory ways it could resolve and while some seem more likely none read as certain.

Oh, and also Janna. The way she's insinuated herself into Mewni while everyone else from Earth dropped out of existence is great.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm surprised that I actually predicted Tom realising that Marco may be outwardly awkward and dorky but actually does really cool stuff on a regular basis, while Tom himself is kind of lame and has barely anything going on in his life by himself. I suppose the episode wasn't exactly subtle about that theme.

I do get the impression that back when he had that hair-trigger temper and entitled attitude it didn't make him a lot of friends.

ed: Rhombulus can't help but be a goddamn cop to the point where even the rest of the Magical High Commission are fed up with his poo poo... which is basically just Heckapoo and Omnitraxus Prime at this point. Maybe they should bring back the giraffe guy.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 22, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Skippy McPants posted:

Something else I really like is the writing quality in the relationships between Star, Tom, and Macro. A lesser show would short-shrift it by making Tom more of a jerk, but the way he's presented it makes sense that Star is attracted to him and that Marco is his friend. That triumvirate is probably the best constructed narrative tension in the show, in the sense that there are multiple satisfactory ways it could resolve and while some seem more likely none read as certain.

Oh, and also Janna. The way she's insinuated herself into Mewni while everyone else from Earth dropped out of existence is great.

I kind of get why she's popular, but I've always found Janna to he a merely "ok" character and largely kind of flat. Other than being the token snarky character that's into creepy stuff, there's never been much to her. And I hated the whole writing Earth out since it felt incredibly arbitrary and pointlessly stupid.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Marco and Tom's dance was the greatest thing this show has ever produced.

Also I'm now pretty firmly in the camp that the best ending shipping-wise would be the poly one. I just don't know how they could possibly swing it.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 22, 2019

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Less lore more shipping. Marco's seduction of Tom is the next step on the path of dating everyone in all dimensions.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Even if they wanted to and could pull off the writing, there is no way in hell that Disney would let one of their shows so much as imply any kind of poly relationship.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Skippy McPants posted:

Even if they wanted to and could pull off the writing, there is no way in hell that Disney would let one of their shows so much as imply any kind of poly relationship.

And for those who doubt they would, the Mouse actually stepped in once already this season—in the boards for Ransomgram, one of the Princess Marco dolls was supposed to be colored akin to the trans flag, but Disney stepped in and changed it before the final release. (IIRC the episode director, Sabrina Cotugno, had some tweets going into more detail but I believe they've been deleted).

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's a shame, and also a weird thing to expunge from an episode that also includes Star crushing on a buff lady.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
This poo poo did get weird, as promised I guess. Still though this season feels awkward... lots of arcs with very little to flesh them all out

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I only just noticed that Star's giant formal hair looks like a heart from the front and I feel dumb for not seeing it before.

Nephthys posted:

Marco and Tom's dance was the greatest thing this show has ever produced.

I cracked up at "There's no way I could perform in front of a crowd right this very second" while he pulls out a mic and Tom's arms coming into frame to put his sunglasses on.

Also I loved the "this is a monarchy, not a democracy!" delivered the same way "democracy, not a dictatorship" is everywhere.

edit: I really kind of curious as to where the rest of the season's supposed to go/what the series' endgame is. I mean, it seems like they solved racism the monster/mewman conflict this episode what with most people accepting Eclipsa, and Globgor's out and seems to be an okay guy, and those were the two big curious points. All that's left is Mina*, but like, she seems so... small. I mean, she's big and probably bigger when she gets her bigass armor but with zero support from any of the royals around or any magic particularly I don't know how she's supposed to restart her super-soldiersailor scout program and be a kingdom-wide threat and/or series ending villain. Although I guess we could just have one-offs. I do admire how this show's been able to still blend comedy in with all its lore, a big problem I think other comparable shows like Steven Universe have.

*and the love triangle I guess

e2:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

e: There's been far fewer title cards from the crew this season (Understandable, since most of them have already moved on to new projects), but Cassie Zwart posted some from two of her episodes and they're incredible:

I have to imagine it might also have to do with the recent mass exodus of artists/users in general from Tumblr, so they're just not making stuff to post.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 24, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's been probably not quite enough hints that Mina's not the only one who playing around with Mewni's old horrific magical superweapons, and that some of them might be playing around of their own accord, as we noted with The Nameless Spell.

At this rate we're all gonna be saying Toffee Was Right.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I could see that, but I think we're past the point where completely destroying magic is an option given how much they've anthropomorphized many of the spells.
Richard, the Narwhal in Spell with no Name, even has a son! We can't lose [intermission to check wiki] Billy!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 24, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Either that or we'll get full socialist with the idea that magic doesn't have to and shouldn't be restricted to the whims of royalty and whoever they decide to empower.

I do get the impression that if the High Magical commission continues to be a thing (it's basically down to two members now and has been shown to be a lovely institution even if some of the individuals are well-meaning) then Star is a shoo-in for joining it, given she's probably the most powerful general magic user on Mewni now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tom feels a lot like some kind of corporate middle manager to me. Trying to be cool and fit in, but never really seeming like he's enjoying himself on his own terms, all he has to fill the gap is his money and status. He never really seems to be getting much out of his relationship with Star either, he just was dead set on it, and now he has it.

Rhombulus is fun and while he deserves all the punishment he gets and more, I'm gonna miss him.