Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Thanks for the tips everyone! The reddit and youtube links especially, I'm a bit poor at the moment so textbooks and college courses are out of my price range. The way I phrased my question initially came down to "I want to know what the words mean when they're introducing the music on the radio," and I think what you all have provided will get me way beyond that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Goon Danton posted:

Thanks for the tips everyone! The reddit and youtube links especially, I'm a bit poor at the moment so textbooks and college courses are out of my price range. The way I phrased my question initially came down to "I want to know what the words mean when they're introducing the music on the radio," and I think what you all have provided will get me way beyond that point.

There's a course/program you can get called "How to Listen to and Understand Great Music" from The Great Courses, and It's even on a 70% off sale at the moment and is an amazing value for the price. And of course.. there are alternative "methods" of acquiring the video version if you can't afford it due to your circumstances, if you do a little legwork. I ended up buying it after learning SO much from it, It's basically a whole walkthrough of the history and development of Western music, designed for someone like yourself with little to no knowledge yet. The video version is definitely the one I'd recommend.

The presenter is.. a bit quirky/hilarious/cringy depending on your perspective, but it's a gold mine of information. He plays excerpts of pieces, breaks them down, explains musical concepts with the help of a piano, gives historical and cultural insight as well as a musical analysis into some of the 'big' pieces, and yeah. I'm pretty much gushing at this point, but I'm trying to get across how excellent and foundational I found this course. 10/10 A++ Would Recommend

e: He will also teach you what the words mean :eng101:

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 8, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Great Courses are also available on Audible, if that's more your jam.

And I've got a spare credit, so I might have to get this one. Thanks for the rec!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Today's google doodle is kind of fun:
https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrating-johann-sebastian-bach

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So the lead from one of my favorite bands apparently wrote a symphony. I know nothing about classical music, but I am curious to know what those of you that do think about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRcvnjQH9Aw

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i randomly encountered this on spotify and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what compositional style it would fall into and anything else that sounds like it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGpk7Fw40I

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EvnRC7tSX50

I was listening to some Debussy and at about six minutes I got a strong sense of what I want to call “the John Williams sound.“ is there a better way to describe the sound of the strings that seem to soar high and create a sense of magic happening

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Spermgod posted:

i randomly encountered this on spotify and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what compositional style it would fall into and anything else that sounds like it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGpk7Fw40I

Definitely look into 20th century stuff like Schoenberg. Kind of reminds me of Webern in particular

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Steve Yun posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EvnRC7tSX50

I was listening to some Debussy and at about six minutes I got a strong sense of what I want to call “the John Williams sound.“ is there a better way to describe the sound of the strings that seem to soar high and create a sense of magic happening

Celestial? Nirvanic?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is it any particular section of strings?

What instruments are playing the quarter notes under the strings? Woodwinds?

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Ever since I first watched the film "Galipoli" when I was a youngin, I fell in love with the final piece at the end called Adagio in G Minor (by Tomaso Abinoni, arranged by Remo Giazotto).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMbvcp480Y4

Also, The Doors (well, minus Jim Morrison) did a version of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVKTpSmcOOM

Still my favourite piece, followed by Ravel's Bolero

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Mephiston posted:

Ever since I first watched the film "Galipoli" when I was a youngin, I fell in love with the final piece at the end called Adagio in G Minor (by Tomaso Abinoni, arranged by Remo Giazotto).

Still my favourite piece, followed by Ravel's Bolero

That's quite nice.

Because of my orchestra years in HS and College, this oddball Mendelssohn Sinfonia has always been one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Vq_worgew

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I tried that Scala Radio app thing to discover new music and the first two pieces i heard it play were Hans Zimmer and Andrea Bocelli with Ed Sheeran. Promptly uninstalled it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Coohoolin posted:

I tried that Scala Radio app thing to discover new music and the first two pieces i heard it play were Hans Zimmer and Andrea Bocelli with Ed Sheeran. Promptly uninstalled it.

They're a little try hard. I like Idagio for discovery. The Mood picker is pretty cool.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Mephiston posted:

Wow, I didn't realize this was a real composition, I just thought it was something Yngwie would play before Far Beyond the Sun live.

Can anyone recommend good piano sonatas? Obviously I started with Beethoven, and I've been going through some of Mozart's, but I'd like other suggestions.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Gnumonic posted:

Wow, I didn't realize this was a real composition, I just thought it was something Yngwie would play before Far Beyond the Sun live.

Can anyone recommend good piano sonatas? Obviously I started with Beethoven, and I've been going through some of Mozart's, but I'd like other suggestions.

I'm not super big on piano stuff but just, anything Glenn Gould plays.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Schubert's D.958, D.959 and D.960

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The 555 Scarlatti Sonatas! You can spend years exploring these and they're excellent.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Coohoolin posted:

Yeah, his Goldberg recordings (both of em) should be at the very top of your list.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Haydn's No. 62

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'd previously kinda written off Yuja Wang without listening to her, but I really liked this performance of Prokofiev so I've been checking her stuff out lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVpnr8dI_50

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Stringent posted:

I'd previously kinda written off Yuja Wang without listening to her, but I really liked this performance of Prokofiev so I've been checking her stuff out lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVpnr8dI_50

Yeah! Don't rag on her without listening to her!

She can get kinda... grating in her interviews, and most of her repertoire definitely isn't bad but also doesn't "speak to me" in any special way. But then she has a few absolute standouts that I was blown away by. The most recent memorable one was some Liszt or Rachmaninoff or Ravel piece and I can't remember which and it is really bothering me because I want to listen to it again. :argh:

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Coohoolin posted:

Stringent posted:

Yeah, his Goldberg recordings (both of em) should be at the very top of your list.

His Bach is close to essential and among the absolute best, but I'd personally steer well clear for Beethoven and probably romantic repertoire overall.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

His Bach is close to essential and among the absolute best, but I'd personally steer well clear for Beethoven and probably romantic repertoire overall.

Yeah, I'm far from an expert but I just checked out him performing my favorite piano piece (3rd movement of Moonlight Sonata), and I don't have the words for it, but I think he's sorta.. missing the point of what Beethoven was going for.

Valentina Lisitsa, however, gets the point.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Gnumonic posted:

Yeah, I'm far from an expert but I just checked out him performing my favorite piano piece (3rd movement of Moonlight Sonata), and I don't have the words for it, but I think he's sorta.. missing the point of what Beethoven was going for.

He wasn't missing anything, he was pretty upfront in interviews about really disliking Beethoven, and the way he plays it is just him making fun of what he sees as over sentimental goop. He talks about it some here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exD8bhJP1eo&t=1911s

His Mozart performances are very interesting. He voices the accompaniment at the same level as the melody (like you would for Bach) so all these contrapuntal relationships pop up that you'd never notice ordinarily. It's weird, but kinda fun.

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

Gould made some of my favorite Brahms recordings although most of his non-baroque stuff isn't really great

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Oromo posted:

Gould made some of my favorite Brahms recordings although most of his non-baroque stuff isn't really great

I love his recordings of Schoenberg.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Stringent posted:

He wasn't missing anything, he was pretty upfront in interviews about really disliking Beethoven, and the way he plays it is just him making fun of what he sees as over sentimental goop. He talks about it some here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exD8bhJP1eo&t=1911s

His Mozart performances are very interesting. He voices the accompaniment at the same level as the melody (like you would for Bach) so all these contrapuntal relationships pop up that you'd never notice ordinarily. It's weird, but kinda fun.

Beethoven isn't supposed to be funny, Beethoven is serious business! Mozart seems to have a musical sense of humor though, I like his performances of Mozart stuff.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeah, he's laughing at him, not with him.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Stringent posted:

Yeah, he's laughing at him, not with him.

This isn't a point in his favour. I mean not just disliking Beethoven (which is pretty unusual for a classical music lover and for me almost insane, albeit fine everyone has their own likes and dislikes and that's their prerogative), but demonstrating that dislike by playing Beethoven's music in a mocking way? Just play repertoire you like and that you wish to do justice to.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

This isn't a point in his favour. I mean not just disliking Beethoven (which is pretty unusual for a classical music lover and for me almost insane, albeit fine everyone has their own likes and dislikes and that's their prerogative), but demonstrating that dislike by playing Beethoven's music in a mocking way? Just play repertoire you like and that you wish to do justice to.

It is a point in his favor, and also one I don't agree with. Gould was a genius in his way, but I don't think anyone wants to make him emperor over how all classical music is interpreted.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Gould, famous for being too cold all the time and loving up beethoven

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Stringent posted:

It is a point in his favor, and also one I don't agree with. Gould was a genius in his way, but I don't think anyone wants to make him emperor over how all classical music is interpreted.

I just don't get why you'd put in the effort to learn a bunch of incredibly difficult pieces, sign a contract to record them, only to show how much you hate them... If he were a composer it'd be one thing. I like Zappa's hilarious musical quotations as much as the next person, but as a performer it's just weird.

Maybe he's just in touch with a level of hate I've yet to attain though.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Technique-wise Moonlight 3rd really isn't all that difficult -- very approachable for the somewhat serious piano student, and certainly a breeze for any serious performance-level pianist. And I mean, it's likely he's not spending that much effort on the interpretation part of it.

I just... don't 'get' Valentina Lisitsa, actually. She just came out of nowhere some day for me, seems like the whole internet (or at least Youtube comments) loves her, and I just don't understand why. To me, she epitomizes roboticness while playing a million miles a minute. TBH I even like many 'hobbyist' classical pianists' renditions more than most of hers. :(

There must be an entire dimension of music I'm completely blind to or something. Like I must be musically color-blind or something and I don't realize it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Gnumonic posted:

I just don't get why you'd put in the effort to learn a bunch of incredibly difficult pieces, sign a contract to record them, only to show how much you hate them... If he were a composer it'd be one thing. I like Zappa's hilarious musical quotations as much as the next person, but as a performer it's just weird.

Maybe he's just in touch with a level of hate I've yet to attain though.

Credit where it's due, I highly doubt Gould would hate on something without a very thorough familiarity with it. That said, the guy refused to go see his mom on her death bed because he was scared of germs, he had some seriously legit mental problems. But he was a genius and remains, hands down in my mind, the best performer of Bach that has ever been recorded.

facepalmolive posted:

Technique-wise Moonlight 3rd really isn't all that difficult -- very approachable for the somewhat serious piano student, and certainly a breeze for any serious performance-level pianist. And I mean, it's likely he's not spending that much effort on the interpretation part of it.

I just... don't 'get' Valentina Lisitsa, actually. She just came out of nowhere some day for me, seems like the whole internet (or at least Youtube comments) loves her, and I just don't understand why. To me, she epitomizes roboticness while playing a million miles a minute. TBH I even like many 'hobbyist' classical pianists' renditions more than most of hers. :(

There must be an entire dimension of music I'm completely blind to or something. Like I must be musically color-blind or something and I don't realize it.

Yeah, it's not just you, I don't get those Ukrainian pianists at all.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

For what it's worth I wasn't holding Lisitsa up as my favorite performer or whatever, I was just looking for something to contrast the... like offensively sterile Gould version to.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

facepalmolive posted:

Because she was making Youtube videos of super popular pieces at a time when there were few videos of them in decent quality.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Stringent posted:

, the best performer of Bach that has ever been recorded.

Is this where I pop up to remind people of Chris Thile's solo mandolin recording of sonatas 1 and 2 and partita 1? Because that is currently the best recorded performance of Bach, and I won't hear otherwise (until he releases volume 2 at least).

2nd place is Nemanja Radulovic and Double Sens recording of the Chaconne

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
This, is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ZL5AxmK_A

They look so ordinary, but my god the sound.

Vanagoon fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

This is a recording session, all musicians just wear comfy normal clothes for them.
It's a great take, thanks for sharing! The orchestra is also amazing IMO