Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

1234567890num posted:

:toot:
Part of me is really hoping that there are puzzles later on that require a specific combination of pokemon friends.

I dont remember much about this game, but in Shadows of Almia, theres a post game quest to have every Eeveelution in your group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Hopefully the Styler doesn't have some special environmental protection capabilities that you'll only be authorized to activate once you're already halfway inside an active volcano or something.

Do you have any idea how much I wanted to draw a parallel to that game's bullshit, but decided not to taint this wholesome experience with that mess? :argh:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Geemer posted:

Do you have any idea how much I wanted to draw a parallel to that game's bullshit, but decided not to taint this wholesome experience with that mess? :argh:

Just let me use the drat Power BombsElectrodes, AdamSpenser! :mad:

e: thinking about it, it's funny that the AI in Fusion ends up more likable and helpful than actual Adam

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, no kidding. I think the big difference is that with Fusion there was probably an editor that cut down on Sakamoto's BS, while in Other M they gave him way way waaaaay too much freedom to turn a mechanically decent passable game into ...that.

At least in this setting it makes sense to keep full power away from the player, since their character is a rookie that's basically getting their first real job. Unlike Samus, who just returned from literally blowing up everything on Zebes.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Geemer posted:

Yeah, no kidding. I think the big difference is that with Fusion there was probably an editor that cut down on Sakamoto's BS, while in Other M they gave him way way waaaaay too much freedom to turn a mechanically decent passable game into ...that.

At least in this setting it makes sense to keep full power away from the player, since their character is a rookie that's basically getting their first real job. Unlike Samus, who just returned from literally blowing up everything on Zebes.

Also they don't seem to be locking away basic 'don't die' features that can't be dangerous to anyone.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

New Music: Summerland

Finally, after being teased about it for a whole mission, we're here. Welcome to Summerland!
Heck yeah. Time to retire here because who doesn't love a tropical paradise?
I personally prefer to retire in Wintown myself...

Summerland's size is in between Ringtown's and Fall City's. The good news is that there's not going to be any patrol missions for this place.

What do you think of when you hear "Summerland"? That's right! Fun vacations!

:woop:

Actually, that is right, but what I really wanted to tell you about is the Capture Challenge. If you want to know more about it, that young guy over there can fill you in. I'm just an angler, so that's about all I can tell you.

Welcome! I'm MC Fisher! May I interest you in our Capture Challenge? Ride a Lapras and capture away! If you have friend Pokemon with you, there's no using Poke Assists!

This is our first available Capture Challenge. We saw one at Ringtown and another at Fall City, both of which was unavailable. If our Styler broke during an attempt, we don't get a game over. We'll just fail the challenge and get kicked out.

We can do everything regarding this challenge right now, but I don't want to.

Here we are in the tropics, but your reply is as chilly as the winds of Wintown! Ouch, painful, I know! It's disappointing, but please do return for a Capture Challenge soon!

Sign Welcome to the Marine Challenge! The reigning top score is... 3500 points!

We'll eventually have to do all of them to complete the Pokedex Browser. They suck and I'm not looking forward to them :suicide:
Not being able to use assists doesn't sound like a lot of fun.
Especially since water Pokemon would normally be a pushover with Plusle's help...

To: Circe

When you reach Summerland, go meet with Cameron, the Ranger Leader there. Ask him to help gather information. I've already e-mailed Cameron and told him that you're on the way to Summerland, Circe. I'm counting on you to find leads on the Go-Rock Squad.

Of course, we'll visit every other place and talk to every other people first. We're going to visit the houses from the bottom and moving from right to left.

Or are you on vacation pretending to be on patrol?
It's hard to believe that we could stay at a lovely cottage like this. It's like a dream come true! I haven't seen our son so excited and full of life like this for a long time.
I've never seen a sea like this! I've never seen a sea before!

That's nice :unsmith:

Cabinet This fashionable piece of furniture is perfectly suited for a resort.

Shelf This solid piece of furniture won't tip over in an earthquake.

Two young Rangers took on the four challenges of the Jungle Relic. But that was the last time that I've heard of anyone attempting to meet the relic's challenges. It seems the young Rangers of today don't have the guts needed to do what those two Rangers did back then.

:corsair: Rangers these days, they just want to go to the easily-accessible challenge instead! :argh:
I'm instantly reminded of a terrible :bahgawd: MILLENNIALS :bahgawd: article I saw earlier.

Here we are in Summerland, my Phanpy and me! ...I tried singing with the melody.

The Watchers, they sing. Lalalalala, lalalalala...
:stare: I didn't expect that reference in this LP, but here we are...

Oh, I wish I had something to fix!
My big brother is very good at fixing broken machines.But there aren't any machines for him to fix on this island.

What about the Personal Computers™?
I'm torn on whether this guy is needed for a mission or not. My gut says "yes, he obviously is."

That's why I can tell there's something not right about those sinister people I see every so often. I know for a fact that those creeps aren't here to swim. Huh? Anybody would know that?

Even Summerland's Rangers rarely go into the jungle unless they have to. Stay out of it unless you must.
As you can well see, I'm what I expect you'd call an explorer. However, when I tried to explore the relic deep in the jungle, I was turned away. They said it was too dangerous. Why, they treated me as if I were a mere child!

The Ranger Leader of this town and I have known each other since we were kids. He always had a hard time dealing with hot weather. ...Actually, he can't stand getting cold, either. He's so weird.

Well, now there's only the Ranger Base left. So let's go there.
:psyduck: Why would you become the Ranger Leader of the tropical paradise if you can't stand hot temperatures?
You'll see why later this update. It's so he can just do the challenge all day. I don't know why he'd want to, though.

Music: Ranger Base

Wasn't Leilani the name of that Hawaiian housing area that got destroyed by a volcano this time last year?
This game was made over 10 years ago, so I'm sure that's a coincidence.

You're named Circe? What brings you to Summerland? Go-Rock Squat? What's that? Is that like a new dance? Oh, the Go-Rock Squad. I've never heard of them.

...That really doesn't sound promising :ohdear:

Wasn't it hard getting to Summerland? Oh, the Ringtown Leader ordered you to come here? Wow, that sounds really strict. Our Leader went off to the Capture Challenge again today the first thing in the morning. We're usually free to do whatever we want. I mean, Summerland's so peaceful anyway that we're not busy ever. Oh, yeah. I'd better fetch our Leader for you. Just chill and hang out, OK?
*To Politoed* Let's go, Politoed.

Politoed: To-tohd!

*Percy and Politoed leave*

We'll take this opportunity to explore upstairs.

What will you do if a wild Pokemon suddenly use a move on you while you're walking about? The answer is simple: get out of the way! Pokemon Field Moves can trigger two kinds of status problems for you. If you become confused, your sense of direction will get scrambled. If you're poisoned, your foot speed will be slowed terribly. Both kinds of problems go away after a while, so there's no need to panic.

Like I said before, waiting is the ONLY method for removing status effects. They suck, but they're not really dangerous. And they're not actually pretty rare.
Scrambled controls? Oh goodie... :shepface:

I'm not sure if this will be useful advice or not, but... Some species of Pokemon protect themselves by imitating other things in nature, such as plants and rocks. It's called camouflage, by the way. If you find a camouflaged Pokemon, try startling it. That will make it break its disguise. I think you should keep this memorized.

Like our Leader, this guy here has a huge appetite.

When our Leader enters, he gets caught up in the excitement, so he loses track of time. Like a little kid, huh? ...Whoops, here he is!

Wahah! Another great day capturing! I sure had fun again today!
*To Circe* Huh? And who might you be? ...Circe? Are you maybe the Ranger that Spenser wrote about? Well, it's nice to meet you. It's good and all that you came here for your investigation, but... That, uh, Team Go-Rock, was it? Whatever they're called, we haven't seen neither hide nor hair of 'em.

For keeping my technique sharp, yup. And, you know, just keeping cool and relaxed a little.

I'm beginning to see many problems with this branch of Rangers...
You'd think they'd have their hands full with a lot of petty criminals like pickpockets and stuff.

Oh, no, no! You've got it wrong. Of course, it's not always like this here. Oh? Percy went looking for me? I never saw him. It's odd, though. Maybe we just passed each other.

Music: Trouble

They captured my Politled using a weird Styler. It wasn't like any Styler I've seen before! I shouted at my Politoed, but he totally ignored me... They disappeared into the Olive Jungle...
This is awful... Maybe what Spenser had to say was right after all...

So you thought it was fake?! :psyduck:
Yeah, these guys suck. Suddenly I'm thinking that Summerland is kind of a lovely place to live if the local authorities are this awful at their jobs.

*To Circe* Circe, will you help us? Can you go into the Olive Jungle and recapture Percy's Politoed? You're probably...definitely more suited for the job than our Rangers. After all, Spenser's your mentor.
*Thinks* I know! How about we do this? I'll get in touch with Spenser and get him to certify this as an official mission! Great idea, huh? It's not like Spenser and I are complete strangers. I'll contact him, of course.

:sigh: Let's just talk to everyone and then be on our way.

Music: Ranger Base
You may be a rookie but you look way more capable than me or Percy.
My Politoed... I belong with Politoed... Me and Politoed... I can't take it! I'm worried sick over my Politoed!
OK, I have to e-mail Spenser about your new mission... Let's see... Our Ranger... Um... Politoed...abducted... Erm...oddly dressed Rangers... And...as a mission... By gosh, I hate dealing with e-mail. Uh... Where's the send button on this?

Music: Summerland

To: Circe

I read Cameron's message. There's no way that I could turn him down. I used to work on the same team as Joel and Cameron long ago. Also, by tracking the abductors of the Politoed, you may uncover some leads about the Go-Rock Squad. Rescue the Politoed that disappeared into the Olive Jungle. That's your new mission, Circe.

Music: Mission Received!

The entrance to the jungle is just North from Summerland.

Music: Mission Start!

New Music: Olive Jungle

Circe, I'm really sorry that I'm dropping this whole thing on you, but please rescue my Politoed!

Percy is actually just going to stand by the entrance and preventing us from getting out. Summerland's Rangers are so incompetent they can't even walk behind Circe... :sigh:
I don't think I like Summerland anymore. :(

Like the trees in Lyra Forest, we can tackle it to get Pokemon to appear. If we have Pokemon with Tackle.

Treecko chases us on sight, just like Corphish. Except, unlike the sewers, this jungle has plenty of space for us to maneuver around.

Music: Wild Pokemon Capture

This is Treecko's only attack. This game sprinkles easy Pokemon even during later, harder missions.

Music: Capture Complete

Required Loops: 4
Possible EXP: 20/23/26/30

To the right of the vines contain just a Treecko. Not even any tree. So we climb the vines...

New Music: Go-Rock Quads! (Not to be confused with Go-Rock Squad)

Even if you're in a hurry, stop in your tracks!

!

Open your ears to our melodic attacks!

!

The rhythm of rage pounds the ground!

!

Let the melody of ambition rise to the skies!

The first two rhymed, the third one started a new rhyme... and then the fourth one hosed it up. So instead of AABB rhythm, they have AABC rhythm. This bothers me more than it probably should.

!

If you don't know us, we'll cure your ignorance! Billy! Garret! Clyde! Tiffany! The Go-Rock Squad's hot-prospect band of key-shaker-and-taker celebrities! A name once heard and never forgotten! The Go-Rock Quads!

!

The best Admins in the franchise are here! :neckbeard:

Were we a bit out of tune? Doesn't matter, it's about feeling! ...You're the new recruit to the Ranger Union, hey?
Oh, Ranger, please hear us out. We've recently developed an interest in legendary Pokemon. But even for the most skilled of Rangers, legendary Pokemon are difficult to capture.
If you have the cash, there's not much that you can't do in this world. But legendary Pokemon--that's another story. Can't do a thing about them for any amount of cash!
But, you know? (Giggle...) Pretty soon, the ultimate Styler that makes the impossible happen is going to be ready. ...Hah! That's all you'll get to hear of our top secret performance! Bye-bye!

*They leave*

Turns out the fangames aren't the first games to use the term "Legendary Pokemon". Who knew? :v:
Even if it is a metagame term, it does make diegetic sense. Legendary pokemon are probably the subject of actual in-game-universe legends!

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Apr 24, 2019

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

1234567890num posted:

New Music: Go-Rock Quads! (Not to be confused with Go-Rock Squad)

They're here! :dance:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I love these doofuses

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Why did nobody ever tell me about this awesome villain team before :stare:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Even the original RBY had the term legendary. For Arcanine, the legendary best friend pokemon.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So that's why they're called the Go-Rock Squad. That's rockin'!

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

1234567890num posted:

Yeah, these guys suck. Suddenly I'm thinking that Summerland is kind of a lovely place to live if the local authorities are this awful at their jobs.

...And all of a sudden, a later plot point makes perfect sense to me, in light of this.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I'm pretty sure Billy's line doesn't even share the same meter as the rest. I'm not gonna actually write it out, I'm just going off of ear as a poet. My headcanon for this is he had a completely different 4-line intro he wanted to do, his siblings voted against it, and now he's doing his line out of spite.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Geemer posted:

Even the original RBY had the term legendary. For Arcanine, the legendary best friend pokemon.

Oh, right. My bad.

MayOrMayNotBeACat posted:

...And all of a sudden, a later plot point makes perfect sense to me, in light of this.

I honestly don't know what you're referring to. Leilani never figures into the plot at all while Percy only shows up later in Mew's mission.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

1234567890num posted:

I honestly don't know what you're referring to.

I'll rant talk about it when it comes up. I think it is the mission after this one.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Go-Rock Quads!

When I said that they left last update, I mean Garret, Clyde, and Tiffany left.

When we capture the legendary Pokemon, we can do whatever we feel like doing! We'll summon storms, drop thunderbolts, whip up massive fires... We'll do it all! And what will the Ranger Union do then? Why, nothing but stand around crying, "Boo-hoo-hoo!" The citizens will lose faith in the union, and that'll be that for you Rangers! Hahaha! *leaves*

So, your ultimate goal is to put the Rangers out of job? That's kind of petty :colbert:
So far the other branches of the Rangers have seemed fairly competent. Why is this jerk imagining that they're all as useless as the Summerland branch?

Music: Olive Jungle

I forgot to show this last time, but here's the mission description. I'm sure the jungle can't be as bad as the sewers, right?
That's just tempting fate!

Just to the right, we see weeds that are actually Oddish. If we used Target Clear on it, we can capture it here.

Shame that there's no Pokemon with Gust available here, though.

Music: Go-Rock Squad!

You know what we've been missing? Evil Organization Grunt Battles!

Hey, stop right there. Did you enjoy the Go-Rock Quads' performance? There's nothing entertaining for you past here, though. It would be wasteful for you to go, so I'm stopping you from going out of the goodness of my heart. ...What's with that look? If you want trouble, I've got it. I just got these Wurmple with my new Styler, so let's see them rock! Charge!

Music: Go-Rock Squad Battle (Weak Grunt)

Wurmple shoots needles. That's pretty much it.

However, Wurmple moves extremely slowly. When it's panicked (signified by its sweat marks), it moves at the same speed as Grimer. Which is still slow.

Required Loops: 3
Possible EXP: 11/15/19/25

When a Pokemon panics, it moves more quickly but is less likely to attack. We've seen it several times before, but it's not that important (which is why I didn't explain it before).

Like the other forced battles, we don't get to keep the Pokemon we captured :(
I like depriving these grunts of the pokemon they stole after beating them. It feels like we're making a difference one battle at a time.

The Wurmple ran off... The Styler busted... I'm not good enough yet... *flees*

As we progress, we're shown where the grunt with Politoed is going. Not that we need it since this jungle is very linear.

Electrike is our portable battery for this mission.

Its attack has a larger area than Magnemite.

Required Loops: 2
Possible EXP: 7

It does give more EXP, but it still heals the same amount as Magnemite. Pichu still reigns as best battery for now.
Ouch. Magnemite, but not as good is kinda damning.

That Snorlax is asleep. It's impossible to get around it.

So Snorlax went all the way from Fall City Harbor to here just to sleep again? :confused:

Phanphy attacks by charging. Strangely, in this game a Pokemon's tackle is not limited to a straight line. Avoiding it is kind of luck-based and it sucks.

This basically teaches us another useful tactic the game doesn't mention: Making empty loops to reduce the line and thus the possibility of getting attacked.

An elephant pokemon attacking with rollout? Sounds familiar!

Required Loops: 5
Possible EXP: 16/20/24/30

Charging Pokemon sucks, but it's still better than jumping ones. At least these ones have warnings.

With Phanphy, we can get more Pokemon from trees. Most of them have Silcoon.

Silcoon has no attacks, but it does have a defense. Our only method of dealing with it is to wait it out.

Required Loops: 8
Possible EXP: 20/24/28/34

Geez? 8 required loops to capture, and it can just randomly decide to hunker down and cause your loops to do nothing? And on top of all that, it doesn't even have a useful field ability? Wow. That's exceedingly rude.
This is our introduction to defensive Pokemon. It will get worse later :shepicide:

This and one other in particular have something different. There's no indication on what Pokemon are up on the trees, by the way.

As you might've guessed, Slakoth moves slowly. Amazingly, it's tied with Grimer's speed.
That's a pretty good condemnation of how slow Grimer are. "You're as slow as an actual sloth!"

Required Loops: 6
Possible EXP: 30/33/36/40

With that done, let's go back to chasing Politoed and the grunt.

The Go-Rock Squad's going to take over as the real Rangers! Any Pokemon I capture with this new Styler obeys everything I say!

:raise: Take over as the real rangers? Okay, I've suddenly got a theory about why the head Go-Rock person is doing all this.

Ekans can create a poison puddle, just like Grimer and Muk. It can also charge at our line.

Possible EXP: 28/32/36/42

It's best to put the styler to aggro it, and then capture it quickly after it charges. Or just use Plusle.

...Huh? *flees*

Up ahead, we have some falling Spinarak.

It shoots the bug version of puddles.

Possible EXP: 18/22/26/31

Sign Cool down in this pure, bracing stream and let it wash away your worries! <Summerland Tourism Bureau>

Moving on ahead, we see camouflaged Lotad. Unlike other camouflaged Pokemon, Lotad will sometimes go back to normal on its own.

Which is good because we have catch it for later. And, like I said before, there's no Pokemon with Gust available right now.

:neckbeard: Yay! Lily pad duckling!

This mission's Pokemon really flips flops between being a pushover and a pain.

Possible EXP: 16/17/18/19

*Politoed leaves*

Wah! You weren't supposed to see me get embarrassed like that! I'm telling you now, it's not because I'm not skilled enough! This new Styler's acting up! That's why that Politoed's not paying attention! You want to make something of it?

:jerkbag:
Agreed.

*When talked to* How does one get across the stream? If I were a Ranger, I'd knock down this Dead Tree and use it as a bridge... Oh, there I go, talking to myself.

Welp. Phanphy won't cut it, so looks like we'll have to look around.

Luckily, there's a Heracross nearby.

Ouch. (Yes, that's a wild Ludicolo. And the tree on the right is the second one with a Slakoth.)

Anyway, Heracross is a test on both "shortening the line" and "bait the attack" technique. Otherwise, we'll get hit with its awkward curved charge.

Required Loops: 8
Possible EXP: 48/55/62/72

I don't think Heracross can be without using those techniques since there's no super effective assist available.
Sounds like it could be a bit of a roadblock if you don't pick up on those skills!

Thanks, Ranger! I'll just be on my way. Good job, too! *leaves*

WELP
To be fair, it was pretty easy to see that was going to happen.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

1234567890num posted:

This basically teaches us another useful tactic the game doesn't mention: Making empty loops to reduce the line and thus the possibility of getting attacked.

1234567890num posted:

Anyway, Heracross is a test on both "shortening the line" and "bait the attack" technique. Otherwise, we'll get hit with its awkward curved charge.

Guess who never learned those techniques?

Guess who proceeded to beat the game?

:shepicide:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

MayOrMayNotBeACat posted:

Guess who never learned those techniques?

Guess who proceeded to beat the game?

:shepicide:

...Me?

(In my defense I was a dumb kid when I first played this game. Now I'm a dumb adult.)

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

serefin99 posted:

I was a dumb kid when I first played this game.

:same:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

...Now I'm wondering how you guys managed to complete this game. Especially considering roadblocks like the Jungle Relic trials.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
sheer stubbornness

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

mateo360 posted:

sheer stubbornness

yuuuuup

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Attrition, yeah.

This game is hard, okay!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

mateo360 posted:

sheer stubbornness

:hai:

It also made me hate this game as a child and become very confused when it kept getting sequels faster than Mystery Dungeon, which I loved.

I replayed it right after this LP finished and found it a lot more enjoyable as an adult, but it was still very frustrating in parts.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

Fast loops, patience, and good ol' PokeAssist abuse when those other two failed me. And I only started doing that last one when I got roadblocked by Steelix.

I was dumb but stubborn as a kid when it came to games.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

:hai:

It also made me hate this game as a child and become very confused when it kept getting sequels faster than Mystery Dungeon, which I loved.

I replayed it right after this LP finished and found it a lot more enjoyable as an adult, but it was still very frustrating in parts.

the immediate sequel is so, so much better

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GeneX posted:

the immediate sequel is so, so much better

Yeah, seriously. Ranger 1 feels like a weird prototype to the actual completed, and much better, final product that is Shadows of Almia.

Also I don't really remember but I doubt I actually got all these pro tips and probably just got through through sheer stubborness as well.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I actually found this game to be more enjoyable than the second. The second one has VERY slow loading times which kinda ruined it for me, not to mention the sidequests that can only be accepted one at a time. The third game is still amazing (gameplay-wise), though :allears:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Oh hey, I played the poo poo out of Shadows of Almia back in the day.

Meanwhile my only memories of this one involve getting bodied by Salamance forever.

I don't even remember beating the game.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I kinda wish there'd be more of these games, there are so many more pokemon that we could do cute missions and field interactions with.

Also, no comments on the early cameo appearance of Interpol Agent Stormbringer, of Pokemon Uranium fame?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The Golux posted:

I kinda wish there'd be more of these games, there are so many more pokemon that we could do cute missions and field interactions with.

Also, no comments on the early cameo appearance of Interpol Agent Stormbringer, of Pokemon Uranium fame?

Who? I don't remember anything about Uranium besides the edgy Ranger dad, nuclear types, and Top Boy.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Going past the knocked down tree, we'll try going up first.

I want to scale this cliff, but these vines are too small and weak... What does it take to make plants grow? Sunlight, and what else?

Good thing we have the top screen telling us the answer.
This dude sounds like he's trying to be an informative tour guide.

We soak the vine and it immediately grows. Because that's how biology works.
The Olive Jungle has the most fertile soil in the world apparently!

*When talked to* Those vines grew right before our eyes! But come to think of it, I'm no good at climbing vines...

Unlike this explorer, Circe is good at climbing vines. Good thing he doesn't, too, with that Grovyle ready and waiting.

...Come to think of it, how did he get here in the first place? You need to climb the vine near where we meet the Quads, after all.

Grovyle will attack our Styler, so we need to bait it out. However, the hard part is that it's very fast. It jumps around (thankfully not randomly) and can just go offscreen if it wants.

In fact, it took me so long to capture it that the orange marks appear above its head. What does that mark signify, you ask?

Well, it's to show that the Pokemon is about to flee, of course!

...Yes, Pokemon can flee in this game. ALL of Pokemon can flee, in fact Only a few of them can flee. It's not a problem right now (since it just costs us time), but it's a problem with Pokemon that's hard to reach in the first place.

Yikes. How long does it take before the flee markers appear? 30 seconds? A minute? 2? More?
For most of them, it's one minute. But there's some where fleeing is their main gimmick. As you might expect, they're tedious :argh:

Possible EXP: 36/40/44/50

Thankfully, we can use Bug assists. Flicking is hard to do on an emulator, though.

I love how this undergrowth is functionally the same as the shrubs in Lyra Forest but they made a (slightly) different model and description just for flavor.
It's the little touches that make this game good.

Unlike before, we CAN cut this now and see what's inside.

Another discovery! :toot:

Lombre has the same attack as Lotad (and Krabby and Corphish and probably others I'm forgetting).

The difference with those Pokemon is that it jumps. And that makes it ten times worse. Good thing it's a Water type, so Plusle trivializes it.
:neckbeard: I love all the members of Lotad's family!

Required Loops: 6
Possible EXP: 23/29/35/43

Anyway, that's all on the upper path. Now we'll go to the other one.

Feel free to sharpen your skills until they finally settle down. I'll be on my way now. Good luck with that!

Hah! Okay that's pretty drat funny.

I guess that's one way to make 'letting the grunt run away' interesting.

So, Mankey and Primeape. Primeape can punch. Mankey can't.

They both can charge, though. And, as usual, it will charge toward our Styler. They do charge in a straight line, which means they're much easier to deal with.

Also, note the flee icon on the bottom left. This means that this encounter is actually on optional one, just like what the grunt said.

And, to make things even easier, both Mankey and Primeape will take some time to recharge after their charge.

Most Pokemon have cooldown after their attacks (which is how we can bait them in the first place), but these are the first with visible ones.

I don't need it right now, but this is a nice surprise :toot:

The energy bar only goes up to 15. Additional ones will be in different color.

Possible EXP: 20/23/26/30

Required Loops: 10
Possible EXP: 40/46/52/60

Rock smash is level 1, boulder smash is level 2... does that mean that slab smash is level 3?
Whatever it is, it's still powerless against Strength rocks :v:

I think it's obvious :rolleyes:

This is back where we captured the Heracross.

Heheheh!

This is why we need to capture Grovyle (and consequently Lotad).

The sign neglects to mention the REAL dangerous part of climbing. But that'll come later. For now...

Huh? Politoed? What are you talking about? You're sure you got the right grunt? I hate to break it to you, but the grunt you're after hightailed it up this cliff already. But that's not what I care about. You're out to mess with the Go-Rock Squad, aren't you, now? Then, I'm going to have to mess with you and mess you up before you do any more messing around!

Beautifly scatters dust around.

Required Loops: 7
Possible EXP: 45/48/51/55

I didn't mention Paras because they're captured pretty much instantly with Fighting assist (they only need 2 loops each).

*Facing the vines* Hey! You grunt up top! A pesky Ranger's trying to reach you! Don't get messed up! *flees*

This Grunt needs to find different synonyms for "messed up."

So, the vines. There's Gligar here. It's by far THE most annoying Pokemon in the series. Yes, worse than all those ambush Corphish.

Gligar will charge on sight. If it hits Circe, she'll get the usual knockback. Except when she's climbing the vines. Then she gets knocked down ALL THE WAY down to the beginning.

At least it'll charge in a straight line so it's relatively easy to get out of the way. Most of the time. Still, gently caress Gligar :argh:

What the gently caress... why would a developer add something like that to the game? :mad:
"Challenge" :suicide:

It has that same charging attack in battle too and they also need to be baited out, but at least we can maneuver the Styler more easily.

Possible EXP: 35/39/43/49

And don't think we're done with Gligar yet. We'll have to deal with them multiple times later in this game. And they'll reappear in later game in the series, where they also cause actual damage.

gently caress Gligar :argh:

...Back to the mission, we finally managed to regain sight of the Politoed.

I'm sure you all can guess what Pokemon this is. And no, we can't get it right now.

There's nothing beside the flowers, an Electrike and a Grovyle here. So we'll just go into the ruins.

Circe proving that the Grimer in the sewers messed her sense of smell up too. I seem to recall that Gloom absolutely reek.

Video: Politoed

It's...a dead end? Isn't there supposed to be a challenge here? And what was the grunt thinking, running here instead of going back to the entrance? :iiam:

I have to hand it to you--you're persistent. You came to take this Politoed back, didn't you? But too bad--it's mine now. So, what does that mean? It means it's your enemy!

Politoed requires 7 loops. We'll have to work for each of those seven.

This is its only attack. So what's so hard about it, you ask?

It's a toad, so of course it jumps around. It constantly jumps slowly, so it's not THAT bad. Certainly not as bad as Machoke.

So our tactic is obvious, make a loop when it lands/finishes attacking.

Unlike other Pokemon, it can just decide to jump halfway across the screen without any warning.
I'm back leaning towards "I dont' think I want to play this" again.

And if it breaks our line, we'll have to start over again. And this is when I only need one more loop... :negative:

Luckily, it's water type. So that means Plusle will actually be useful in a boss fight for once!

In short: Don't try to fight Politoed legitimately. It's not worth it.
These captures look so frustrating. I'm not sure I could play this without getting really angry.
Like people in the thread have said: this game has many problems, but it's still a great game.

Required Loops: 7
Possible EXP: 68/77/86/98

Fighting assist from Primeape also works, but that still requires 4 loops.

:byewhore:

Huh? What just happened? I stole that Politoed by capturing it with my brand-new Styler! But why did it go away when the Ranger captured it? That's just wrong! It's totally unfair! I... I... Gaaaah! Don't ever forget this! *flees*

There's nothing more to do here. Guess we can't try the challenge and prove to that NPC that we're ballsy enough.

Music: Go-Rock Quads!

It looks like those Pokemon return to wherever they came from if a Ranger recaptures them. That's important to know. But why does that happen? Maybe because the Ranger connects with the Pokemon on an emotional level? Hahaha! How ridiculous is that? As if that would ever happen! Hahaha! Totally preposterous! *leaves*

Hello. I'm surprised you even bothered coming here after waiting outside the whole time.

Look, look! It's my Politoed! It suddenly appeared in front of me as if nothing'd happened. And then it...it... It leapt into my arms! I... I couldn't help it. My eyes filled up with tears... Snivel... Thank you... Thank you so very much...
*At Politoed* I'm not letting my Politoed go ever again!

Music: Mission Clear!

OK! My tears are dry! Let's head back to the Ranger Base with the biggest smiles ever!

*They both leave*

These people need to invest in pokeballs to keep the Go-Rocks from stealing their pokemon.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 12, 2019

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Not having to capture Pokemon in one go is easily the biggest improvement the later games have over this one. (Though you still get an exp bonus for doing so.) It makes things much less frustrating.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I wouldn't say that using Plusle makes a capture not "legitimate". You don't have your Pokemon as decoration after all, the game fully expects you to use Poke Assists in captures. Not using them sounds like a really painful challenge run.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Poke Assists aren't cheats, but they feel like it. This game's design has a sense of "all or nothing". So the choices are either use an assist and capture it instantly (overpowered), don't use an assist/it doesn't work and bang your head against the wall (useless), or use an assist and fail anyway (wasted). Or you can not use assist and win anyway but this one's unlikely with tougher Pokemon. It's why Salamence is infamously hard. The sequels improve on this mechanic greatly, where assists actually do feel like just some optional help.

gently caress doing a no-assist challenge run of this game, though.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

1234567890num posted:

Who? I don't remember anything about Uranium besides the edgy Ranger dad, nuclear types, and Top Boy.

Cameron, the leader we just met? He's the rival's father in Uranium and is an interpol agent named Stormbringer.

Though looking at the actual uranium wiki now it doesn't say that that Cameron is specifically THIS Cameron. I think OFS said something about it but it could have been partly conflated with the fact that the player character's father in Uranium is the male PC of the second ranger game.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The Golux posted:

the fact that the player character's father in Uranium is the male PC of the second ranger game.

...oh god I'd forgotten that. Well, that should make the eventual LP more interesting.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

...oh god I forgot about the Gligar until now!!!

But while some aspects of this game are pretty frustrating, playing it on an emulator is some tricky stuff. On an actual DS, this game is huge fun, fast paced and real exciting when you pull of a difficult capture.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

1234567890num posted:

Poke Assists aren't cheats, but they feel like it. This game's design has a sense of "all or nothing". So the choices are either use an assist and capture it instantly (overpowered), don't use an assist/it doesn't work and bang your head against the wall (useless), or use an assist and fail anyway (wasted). Or you can not use assist and win anyway but this one's unlikely with tougher Pokemon. It's why Salamence is infamously hard. The sequels improve on this mechanic greatly, where assists actually do feel like just some optional help.

gently caress doing a no-assist challenge run of this game, though.

I vaguely remember not knowing how to use assists that well as a kid so I didn't use anything other than Pulse until this level :')

It's been fun playing along so far though. And I can't believe you're doing it with a mouse. I've been using my drawing tablet and it still makes me want to bang my head against the wall sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The Golux posted:

Cameron, the leader we just met? He's the rival's father in Uranium and is an interpol agent named Stormbringer.

Though looking at the actual uranium wiki now it doesn't say that that Cameron is specifically THIS Cameron. I think OFS said something about it but it could have been partly conflated with the fact that the player character's father in Uranium is the male PC of the second ranger game.

Oh, him. I don't know if it's the same Cameron as Summerland's. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's another Cameron in the franchise. I think he's a photographer.

Lyumia posted:

I vaguely remember not knowing how to use assists that well as a kid so I didn't use anything other than Pulse until this level :')

It's been fun playing along so far though. And I can't believe you're doing it with a mouse. I've been using my drawing tablet and it still makes me want to bang my head against the wall sometimes.

Even on an actual DS, I still can't capture Machoke reliably. Politoed is MUCH easier, though.

Full Disclosure: I'm actually playing this at 0.75X speed.