Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
How does new game plus/ unlocks work? I ask because normally you get a savegame with 'cleared' on it but I don't seem to have that game. do I just 'new game' and it knows using my achievements, what I've done? What about the Mr Raccoon statues?

edit: I did Leon 1 then Claire 2. I am going to do a Claire 1 Leon 2 run now. Everything I find online is like 'aha did you know, if you do leon 1 you can do claire 2!!!!' but I'm asking how unlocks are tracked and if I have to load a save or something (apparently not?)

redreader fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you’ve unlocked a special weapon you’ll find it in the magic chest on every game afterwards. Raccoon statues are tracked across all scenarios since there are some only Leon or Claire can get. In-game rewards like concept art or model viewers are the same.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Yo that DLC to unlock everything was worth it. The entertainment value I've had from blowing things up or rolling zombie torsos with the minigun is worth not losing my mind getting lost in the sewers trying to do a Hardcore run.

Which I'm doing with the infinite weapons and so far my hubris has gotten me munched by a zombie at the gas station and swiped by a Licker because I didn't realize he was to the right of me.

Rocketing Mr. X is nice.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

redreader posted:

How does new game plus/ unlocks work? I ask because normally you get a savegame with 'cleared' on it but I don't seem to have that game. do I just 'new game' and it knows using my achievements, what I've done? What about the Mr Raccoon statues?

edit: I did Leon 1 then Claire 2. I am going to do a Claire 1 Leon 2 run now. Everything I find online is like 'aha did you know, if you do leon 1 you can do claire 2!!!!' but I'm asking how unlocks are tracked and if I have to load a save or something (apparently not?)

All your unlocks are saved on your ps4 save data file, rather than individual saves

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
And don't forget that it seems common for people to do both the no healing and no item box achievements at the same time on easy. Meaning you don't get to use those sweet, sweet infinite items.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Spalec posted:

The voice acting in the Original RE is so bad, it rolls round back to being awesome. How did that even happen? The pauses and intonation the actors use is so far off how any human would talk.

And of course, "There are Terrible demons. Ouch :geno:"

I wonder if any of those actors ever did anything else. I read a rumour that they were literally the first people to respond to the advert who vaguely fit the look of the character.

Youtuber Justin Whang has a good set of videos about tracking down some of the VA’s for the original Resident Evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tunJ1Z0_peU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D22Ao21Ya6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S77G0KEtPo

Bonus here’s one of him tracking down the VA for Silent Hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpmu3i0-0ys

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Spalec posted:

The voice acting in the Original RE is so bad, it rolls round back to being awesome. How did that even happen? The pauses and intonation the actors use is so far off how any human would talk.

And of course, "There are Terrible demons. Ouch :geno:"

I wonder if any of those actors ever did anything else. I read a rumour that they were literally the first people to respond to the advert who vaguely fit the look of the character.

My favorite was always Jill meeting Enrico in the tunnels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp27EkZTHdE

"Is that Jill?"

"Is that voice... Enrico's?"

"... Yeah."

Just the way he pauses before saying it, like he's trying to figure out if she's screwing with him or not since he's about ten feet away and speaking clearly. It always randomly struck me as hilarious.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cardiovorax posted:

The cheesy voice-acting is a side-effect of a bunch of amateurs intoning their lines in the "dramatic" way they imagined a professional would do it, when the trick to professional voice-acting is to not sound like you're acting. Going by my experience with amateur theater, anyway.

The reason it makes the game so much better? Because everyone who has ever played a Resident Evil game just knows in their bones that this is the quality of voice acting the games deserve, one and all. :v:
Deserve got nothing to do with it. The real reason is that the lines and the voice acting match the story perfectly in tone. Making any one part "better" would actually take away from the experience, by highlighting the bits that left something to be desired. In essence, it's perfect.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Deserve got nothing to do with it. The real reason is that the lines and the voice acting match the story perfectly in tone. Making any one part "better" would actually take away from the experience, by highlighting the bits that left something to be desired. In essence, it's perfect.
Yeah, sorry, bad phrasing. That's basically how I meant it. Resident Evil is the quintessential B-movie experience and when the characters sound like amateur actor from local community college, it only adds to the sum total of it, because you just have this feeling that this is how they ought to sound. Giving it professional-level voice acting where everyone isn't awkward or cheesy on some level makes it almost dissonant.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Progress so far: I’ve made it to the safe room in the labs, unlocked the doors and used the first MO disk machine.
  • The boss fights are remarkably straight forward - keep moving and shoot it until it dies.
  • The introduction to the Hunters is seriously cool, while a bit dated now that FMW from the Hunter’s POV must have really poo poo people up back in 1996.
  • Hunters can be quite tricky but not that hard to evade. Mr Grenade Launcher works well putting them down if required.
  • Yawn’s second appearance completely took me by surprise as this was changed completely in the REmake.
  • The voice acting in the scene where you find Enrico is loving hilarious.
  • Just what exactly is Barry investigating? He was quite clearly shot dead in front of both of you. This is as bad as Jill telling Barry that the first Zombie might have killed Kenneth when she watched it rip his head clean off.
  • I seem to have missed a few files but was it made clear in this that the mansion was deliberately designed to be convoluted by the architect like it was in the REmake?
  • Primitive graphics aside, the mansion and labs look a lot more modern in many areas than the aesthetic they went with in the REmake. The labs in RE1 feel closer to the NEST in RE2, whereas the labs in the REmake are run down, dingy, and feel like they’ve been abandoned for a long time.
  • God the grenade launcher is satisfying to use. Watching limbs and bits flying off torsos is hilarious.

Overall the game is really good, lots of fun and holds up well for a 23 year old title.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Primitive graphics aside, the mansion and labs look a lot more modern in many areas than the aesthetic they went with in the REmake. The labs in RE1 feel closer to the NEST in RE2, whereas the labs in the REmake are run down, dingy, and feel like they’ve been abandoned for a long time.
According to the internal timeline of the game, the place has been destroyed and abandoned for nearly a month and a half by the time the game takes place, while the NEST incident took place only days, possibly even hours before the start of Resident Evil 2. One the one hand, it really makes no sense that the place could deteriorate this much more in only six weeks, but on the other hand, I can see why they would've chosen to go with the aesthetic they did. The Arklay Mountains laboratory is supposed to have been founded in the 60s or so, so the message of "this place was already falling apart at the seams even before zombies entered the picture" is conveyed fairly well.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The introduction to the Hunters is seriously cool, while a bit dated now that FMW from the Hunter’s POV must have really poo poo people up back in 1996.
Yeah, definitely worked on me back then. Think I just started firing the grenade launcher the minute I was back in control. The introduction to the zombies was real good too, even for such a well known monster. The fact that you're forced to run from the first one and have Barry save your rear end (if you're Jill) really sells them as a proper threat. Alternatively, you get owned trying to kill it with a knife or you just run right back to the main hall as Chris.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Just what exactly is Barry investigating? He was quite clearly shot dead in front of both of you. This is as bad as Jill telling Barry that the first Zombie might have killed Kenneth when she watched it rip his head clean off.
Just because the cause of death seems obvious doesn't mean it is. Maybe Kenneth was killed by another zombie, and this one is just doing the crime of desecrating human remains? You have to keep an open mind if you want to make it on the S.T.A.R.S. alpha team.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Just because the cause of death seems obvious doesn't mean it is. Maybe Kenneth was killed by another zombie, and this one is just doing the crime of desecrating human remains? You have to keep an open mind if you want to make it on the S.T.A.R.S. alpha team.

The only thing you can really know for certain as a member of S.T.A.R.S.? Whatever it is, Barry will definitely be up for shooting it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Crappy Jack posted:

The only thing you can really know for certain as a member of S.T.A.R.S.? Whatever it is, Barry will definitely be up for shooting it.

And making bad jokes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

Because don't worry, he's got this.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Cardiovorax posted:

What is this?

Another thing I forgot to mention is how hilariously :effort: the zombie voices are compared to the likes of REmake2. Honestly they sound like someone half asleep who doesn’t want to wake up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The funny thing is? This somehow makes them about a million times creepier to me. RE2make zombies sound like a weird animal is yowling and hissing at you, and I'm just not really scared of any animal. I can just buy far more easily that the moaning is coming from a person who has no mind left with which to articulate themselves, just hunger. It sounds human exactly because it's so mundane, like a sound I've heard people make a thousand times. I've never heard anything or anyone screech like the female zombies in RE2make, though. It makes it feel less real.

Dunno, maybe it's just because I played RE1 for the first time when I was maybe six years old and had nightmares for weeks afterwards, but that kind of thing has kind of become my gold standard for horrifying zombie noises.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 22, 2019

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
The original zombie noises sound pretty reasonably zombie-ish to me. More so than that screech the scantily clad lady zombie does in REmake 2. Her screech justifies all the poo poo talking Claire does to the zombies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV8URruM1qk

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

What's sad is that I immediately noticed a certain zombie sound is missing from that video (within the first three moans) because for whatever dumb reason it's not in the PC version (which is where they're all ripped from). :smith:

What's dumber is that instead of using one file for two separate actions (to save space), they just copied and renamed one of the files instead (so they obviously hosed this up).

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

It's probably old news to every single person here, but I've just started playing Resident Evil 4 on PC for the first time after never playing any games in the series.

I'm really surprised by how well it holds up still, I spent the first hour or more really fumbling with the controls, but after getting a decent way through the village it's feeling really natural already. Loved holding up in a cabin with Luis to defend windows on all sides of the house, it really gets the balance of tension right.

Just stopped right after beating the creepy guy who splits in half midway through the fight (Mendez?) And took his false eye. Looking forward to seeing what other crazy things happen, since I basically saw nothing from this game other than a screenshot of the lake monster when you're on the boat and a few village scenes.

Also the typewriter room music is A+ and is a big relief to hear every time, good stuff.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Oh man, to be able to redo Salazar's castle again for the first time. I envy you :allears:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I still remember my first death to Mr Salvador.

What a fantastic game

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Does anyone have a link to that RE2 puzzle solutions picture someone made earlier in the thread please? Updated my phone and now I can't find it

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Revelations 2 was a pretty solid game.... not amazing, but solid. But my God, Barry in that true ending finale. It is just peak 80s action movie hero scene and the entire thing is ]glorious.

"Are you sure you don't need me, Dad?"
"You're my daughter, I'll always need you. But for now.... I have this!"

Not to mention how he decides to take on the final boss in a showdown despite the fact that by that point, he could easily just hop on the chopper and leave at any point. Oh no, Barry Burton ain't half-assing this ending. There's a giant monster to be shot and by God, the man is going to shoot it. Up close and personal.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Convex posted:

Does anyone have a link to that RE2 puzzle solutions picture someone made earlier in the thread please? Updated my phone and now I can't find it

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Thanks, appreciate it!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

So as I mentioned a few posts back, I was absolutely certain that meeting Barry in the Main Hall 1F where he'd hand over the Acid Rounds was a thing, instead of up on 2F. Well it finally happened again, except...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_0gYyXoYJ0
Well okay. Wasn't expecting this at all so late in the game but sure, I'll take them now.

Good thing I use savestates when I'm playing around breaking this poo poo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGJPw0ZDiKo
Something tells me that we're not supposed to be seeing this scene from this side of the hall.

And then just to see how things would play out after leaving the 2F Dining Room...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLnyQ5IFeec
Oh. Ohhh. This one's definitely a no-no.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone else just get a huge RE2 update? Might just be Steam doing its thing :tinfoil:

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I got it on PS4 too. Just a batch of bug fixes?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

193MB. Probably bugfixes/optimisation.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cardiovorax posted:

The funny thing is? This somehow makes them about a million times creepier to me. RE2make zombies sound like a weird animal is yowling and hissing at you, and I'm just not really scared of any animal. I can just buy far more easily that the moaning is coming from a person who has no mind left with which to articulate themselves, just hunger. It sounds human exactly because it's so mundane, like a sound I've heard people make a thousand times. I've never heard anything or anyone screech like the female zombies in RE2make, though. It makes it feel less real.

Dunno, maybe it's just because I played RE1 for the first time when I was maybe six years old and had nightmares for weeks afterwards, but that kind of thing has kind of become my gold standard for horrifying zombie noises.

you're not afraid of an alligator????

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

you're not afraid of an alligator????
I mean, I'd be wary if I had to be around a wild one, but it's not conceptually frightening the way zombie horror is supposed to be frightening, you know? I'd be afraid if a lion was trying to eat me, but I'm not afraid of lions, or sharks, or whatever.

I'm one of those weirdoes who think spiders are cute, though, so I guess it's just different for me in general.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

According to the internal timeline of the game, the place has been destroyed and abandoned for nearly a month and a half by the time the game takes place, while the NEST incident took place only days, possibly even hours before the start of Resident Evil 2. One the one hand, it really makes no sense that the place could deteriorate this much more in only six weeks, but on the other hand, I can see why they would've chosen to go with the aesthetic they did. The Arklay Mountains laboratory is supposed to have been founded in the 60s or so, so the message of "this place was already falling apart at the seams even before zombies entered the picture" is conveyed fairly well.

I think it took place about a week ago, at most. After Claire defeats Birkin, she and Sherry talk a little and Sherry mentions her dad died recently. Sherry sounded so awkward saying it, like she hasn't really had the time to process it. I could totally see Annette telling her that over the phone before she rushes off to find William again.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

amigolupus posted:

I think it took place about a week ago, at most. After Claire defeats Birkin, she and Sherry talk a little and Sherry mentions her dad died recently. Sherry sounded so awkward saying it, like she hasn't really had the time to process it. I could totally see Annette telling her that over the phone before she rushes off to find William again.

IIRC, there's nothing in the remake that definitively sets the date on which the game itself takes place, but the original starts at night on the 29th. The timestamps on the video tapes in the remake that show HUNK's team getting slaughtered are at something like 1 AM on the 23rd.

So if you assume the remake is on the same night as the original, it's been almost exactly a week.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Given how quickly Birkin mutates in-game, I didn't want to commit to any specific numbers, but "about a week-ish" makes sense in the context of what we see.

Then again, a week with literally no communication from a decent-sized Midwestern city (on account of everyone is zombies) and no national guard showing up is kind of unbelievable in its own right, so I guess you could argue that it ought to be less.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Then again, a week with literally no communication from a decent-sized Midwestern city (on account of everyone is zombies) and no national guard showing up is kind of unbelievable in its own right, so I guess you could argue that it ought to be less.

I'm hoping that's something they deal with more explicitly in the RE3 remake, if one happens. The original RE3 and the Outbreak games make it sound a lot like the city's surrounded by a weak quarantine and an attempt at a media blackout, because Umbrella has been bribing elected officials like nobody's business and none of them want to go down with that particular ship.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Wanderer posted:

I'm hoping that's something they deal with more explicitly in the RE3 remake, if one happens. The original RE3 and the Outbreak games make it sound a lot like the city's surrounded by a weak quarantine and an attempt at a media blackout, because Umbrella has been bribing elected officials like nobody's business and none of them want to go down with that particular ship.
Considering that Nemesis ends with a literal presidentially-decreed nuclear explosion, I personally find it hard to believe that even Umbrella might have enough money to bribe their way up that far, but I agree that RE3make probably ought to offer some kind of explanation for that.

We do however know for a fact that by the time of RE2make there was no such cordon, or Leon and Claire never even would've managed to get into the city.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

If you operate on the assumption that Project Umbrella is right and Raccoon City is in southwestern Missouri near Branson, then the entirety of the local government from senators to dogcatcher could have been bought for twenty-five dollars and a bunch of Outback Steakhouse coupons.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

An entirely fair point. :v:

Still, the whole thing clearly went up the chain fast enough that someone managed to decide within at most two weeks that poo poo should go boom in an "this is an international holy poo poo loving incident" kind of way, so I'm presuming that their media blackout failed about as badly as their biohazard failsafes.

Which is to say, horribly and totally in every sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I’ve completed the game playing as Jill on Standard and overall I have to say it was a very enjoyable experience.
  • The voice acting during the final meet-up between Jill, Barry and Wesker is truly a masterpiece.
  • The introduction to the tyrant is genuinely masterfully done. The game has basically been a B-movie so far with Romero zombies, giant spiders, a giant snake, a giant shark etc with hilariously bad voice acting to wrap it up. Then all of that goes it the window; harrowing music plays as you’re introduced to this thing unlike anything you’ve seen so far. To top it all off you know you’re going to have to fight it. Can those who played it back in 1996 please confirm just how much it poo poo you up.
  • Barry you idiot.
  • Boy I sure wish quickturn was a thing in this game right about now.
  • ”THREE MINUTES UNTIL EXPLOSION” - got to love 90s video game translations.
  • Except after that announcement you lose over a minute and a half in cutscenes before the Tyrant comes back for round 2.
  • This isn’t much of an issue mind, because the final boss fight is surprisingly easy. I went in all tooled up and it took all of 5 shots from the magnum before Brad dropped the rocket launcher. I seem to remember the same fight in the REmake was a lot harder - I suspect this was in direct response to this same observation.
  • Cheesy credits ahoy! The zoom and pan they do on the characters is neat though.
  • The graphics and controls may be very dated, but the survival aspect, resource management, puzzle solving and exploration is still very much on point. Combine that with the story variations, two campaigns and multiple endings and it’s easy to see why this was such a huge hit.

I suppose the only thing to do now is start on Chris.