Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I always cry when the shuttles launch in Armageddon. It's such a stupid rear end moment but it's so forcibly trying to touch you it somehow works on me.
Which is good tbh, I struggle crying and take out feelings in worse ways so least nowadays I can just pop in that movie and get the juice flowing. :unsmith:

Edit: What an amazing page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I cannot ever remember a time watching WWE made me feel good :smith:
Eh I count all the side shows like NXT and I still like Smackdown, haven't really watched Raw for a couple of years now. But yeah I got into WWE in 2006, stopped around 09 and got back in 10 and never stopped since. Definitely don't have Stockholm Syndrome like some people like to say of WWE fans which I think is honestly kind of gross. I just like what I like.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Zedd posted:

I always cry when the shuttles launch in Armageddon. It's such a stupid rear end moment but it's so forcibly trying to touch you it somehow works on me.
Which is good tbh, I struggle crying and take out feelings in worse ways so least nowadays I can just pop in that movie and get the juice flowing. :unsmith:

Edit: What an amazing page snipe.

I always get the same feeling at the end when the kid is running around with a space shuttle toy after they save the earth but mostly because it was such a dope moment of "astronauts are so loving cool and we have forgotten that"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Totally. I mean, I am not gonna cry at Avengers but hell I am also not gonna cry at Schindler's List for pompous art nerd reasons and in both cases I can't really judge someone who has a different reaction

i won't cry at that. i might cry at the end of GoT season and i got a little misty eyed at parts of the last episode since it was basicaly the GOT equivalent of the Citadel dlc in mass effect 3. I can't really judge people get emotional at since i cried reading the velvatine rabbit.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

She did a whole review on the Pandora park at Disney World and said she hopes she gets a press invite to the Star Wars park opening.

Because going on press preview days is probably the only time you'll be able to go there and not be rubbing up against the front/backsides of at least eight different people while trying to walk around.

I’d also enjoy seeing it early, before they figure out what dumb stuff isn’t working and start tweaking. Making the staff be in character all the time seems needlessly cruel when they were hired with the understanding that they’d be selling hot dogs from a booth.

I read that they have an in-universe term for “bathroom” that they’re going to make everyone use, which seems like a recipe for disaster more than perhaps anything else I could imagine.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

achillesforever6 posted:

Eh I count all the side shows like NXT and I still like Smackdown, haven't really watched Raw for a couple of years now. But yeah I got into WWE in 2006, stopped around 09 and got back in 10 and never stopped since. Definitely don't have Stockholm Syndrome like some people like to say of WWE fans which I think is honestly kind of gross. I just like what I like.

Oh yeah no if you enjoy it watch it. I def get annoyed at the dudes who complain about WWE but still watch every week, I was diehard from 04-12 and realized that i just didn't enjoy it anymore and didn't see the point in hate watching it

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I always get the same feeling at the end when the kid is running around with a space shuttle toy after they save the earth but mostly because it was such a dope moment of "astronauts are so loving cool and we have forgotten that"
Yeah it probably is in the same area for me, Space travel is cool and the entire world working together and all that jazz.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It's ok to cry at Schindler's List.

It's not ok to cry 5 times during a mcu movie.

Hot take coming through

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Zedd posted:

Yeah it probably is in the same area for me, Space travel is cool and the entire world working together and all that jazz.

Yeah, for some reason the idea of the human race uniting to resist cosmic extinction is super inspirational and hits me right in the feels zone.

Its like "Humanity, gently caress yeah!"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you know some people get misty-eyed easier than other people and maybe that’s okay?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hate everything and am basically that Phil Greaves tweet but a person, balling my fists and mentally writing essays about how Brienne getting knighted is capitalist apologia, but I will never watch a movie about a dog because my emotions can’t handle pretend sad dogs or dead dogs.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I hate everything and am basically that Phil Greaves tweet but a person, balling my fists and mentally writing essays about how Brienne getting knighted is capitalist apologia, but I will never watch a movie about a dog because my emotions can’t handle pretend sad dogs or dead dogs.

What about Milo and Otis where those dogs are definitely not pretending

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

A big flaming stink posted:

People that cry during movies lack misery in their life

they are undergoing a natural empathic process due to mirror neurons; the ability to or indeed compulsion to empathize with fictional characters or fantasies is used as part of a measure of overall empathy, hope this helps

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What about Milo and Otis where those dogs are definitely not pretending

That just angers me. Some Japanese sicko with a farm just wanted an excuse to kill dozens of cats and dogs and everybody just went nuts for it. The cut footage is probably just him machine-gunning the pugs who lived and drowning the rest of the cats.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That just angers me. Some Japanese sicko with a farm just wanted an excuse to kill dozens of cats and dogs and everybody just went nuts for it. The cut footage is probably just him machine-gunning the pugs who lived and drowning the rest of the cats.

I remember finding out about it years before it become a popular piece of trivia because in high school I was trying to figure out how they did that shot of the dog being chased by a bear without the dog getting mauled and we looked for the "no animals were harmed in the making of this movie" marker at the end and discovered it didn't have one lol

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

It is only OK to have emotions for approved stories and if you deviate from the list you are a weak weenie.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

*observes another human being having a moment of joy*

"loving moron"

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It’s only ok to have emotions about media if it’s not a product of corporations and that’s why I only watch indie arthouse films, duh.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

As far as I know the Milo and Otis thing is extremely unconfirmed, for what it's worth this site has a response from the American Humane Society

http://decomposingdrivein.blogspot.com/2008/05/adventures-of-milo-and-otis-1989.html?m=1

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

what's so great about that? is so great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_8NnAYRslE

Holy poo poo this channel is amazing. :stare: Also, since this was a semi-recent topic in the thread, she has a pretty good video on House of Leaves :v:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ghostlight posted:

what's so great about that? is so great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_8NnAYRslE

This is a great video. She's got my sub! :)

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I've just had to accept that I'll never understand the attachment to marvel movies so hearing that someone cried five times at one is like hearing that someone broke down crying at the sight of a lamp. It's not really my business to try to understand why, and I should just leave them to their weird thing.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Multiple people cried when they debuted the Twilight Princess trailer. Like, being moved to tears by a story is one thing, but this was over a goddamn trailer. And all it showed was Link riding a horse.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I Before E posted:

I've just had to accept that I'll never understand the attachment to marvel movies so hearing that someone cried five times at one is like hearing that someone broke down crying at the sight of a lamp. It's not really my business to try to understand why, and I should just leave them to their weird thing.

A lot of these people were children/in high school when these movies began. That’s pretty much my main attachment to them. They’ve been a staple of my film going habits for years. And it’s only recently that it’s starting to wear a bit thin.

I don’t know about the people who were already adults when these things started. But I imagine the people crying are those in the 20’s right now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What is everyone's opinions about the goon who admitted they locked themselves in the bathroom to cry after doing the genocide route in undertale because they "saw the monster" they became?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
They're not high art but Marvel movies are generally fine blockbuster nonsense and while they're from an evil corporation they at least have the decency to do the focus testing first and not re-cut every movie into a terrifying Frankenstein of conflicting visions and tones.

Like Ant Man 2 was fairly mediocre but it's far and away a better movie than anything from say the Transformer's franchise. Damning with faint praise and all but I'm thankful for Marvel raising the bar at least a little and sometimes they make really fun stuff like Guardians and Ragnarock.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Leal posted:

What is everyone's opinions about the goon who admitted they locked themselves in the bathroom to cry after doing the genocide route in undertale because they "saw the monster" they became?

They're valid.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also I imagine a big part of why people broke down crying has to do with the soundtrack. You look at that Star Wars Minus Williams video the Auralnauts did a few years back and that lays out with saying a single word how much music can manipulate emotion.

With music it's a joyous and triumphant celebration of success over an evil enemy. Without music it's just two dudes and a sasquatch wordlessly walking down a hallway and awkwardly smiling as Carrie Fisher gives them a medal for doing nothing.

Anyway, what brings folks to get sad or mad or happy at any medium of their viewing choice is their own business and people who want to mock or disect basic human emotional responses to things are weirder than those experiencing the emotions in the frist place. And that's the bottom line because Stone Cold said so.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Leal posted:

did you get the conquest ending in mk2/re;birth2

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Takoluka posted:

did you get the conquest ending in mk2/re;birth2

I will end you

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sjws bad. like, as bad as this """parody"""

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Leal posted:

I will end you

I have my answer.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

sjws bad. like, as bad as this """parody"""

Yeah. Chris Ray Gun is a chud. There is no good faith argument to be had here, he's just as rear end in a top hat.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I will say this: movies are an artform based entirely on emotional manipulation, and music is the most direct and effective way, but also i will absolutely laugh at you if you start bawling because spiderman punched the bad guy harder than in the last movie and says "those who sacrificed themselves, are the real marvel super heroes (tm)"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kay Kessler posted:

Multiple people cried when they debuted the Twilight Princess trailer. Like, being moved to tears by a story is one thing, but this was over a goddamn trailer. And all it showed was Link riding a horse.

they were prolly broke-brained dipshits who hated "cel-da" and were crying tears of joy that a game sorta resembling the early zelda gamecube tech demo was being made.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

I read that they have an in-universe term for “bathroom” that they’re going to make everyone use, which seems like a recipe for disaster more than perhaps anything else I could imagine.

A ha ha holy poo poo you weren't kidding.

https://twitter.com/imaginat1on/status/1120683439651315717

I would pay cast members extra to just call the bathroom a bathroom. A shitter. A POODOO PLACE

Just call it a poodoo station. Super Bombad Poodoo Racing.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

A new Nick Knacks for The Third Eye, an anthology show that packages a bunch of British and New Zealand sci-fi and fantasy serials together

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

A ha ha holy poo poo you weren't kidding.

https://twitter.com/imaginat1on/status/1120683439651315717

I would pay cast members extra to just call the bathroom a bathroom. A shitter. A POODOO PLACE

Just call it a poodoo station. Super Bombad Poodoo Racing.

The last person in that thread tags Jenny. She better get a press pass to document that madness before they realize that their park attracts people who speak languages other than English and that they’re going to have a bunch of confused Finns pissing themselves while they furiously search their translator apps.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

She did a whole review on the Pandora park at Disney World and said she hopes she gets a press invite to the Star Wars park opening.

Because going on press preview days is probably the only time you'll be able to go there and not be rubbing up against the front/backsides of at least eight different people while trying to walk around.

Disney announced recently that they are limiting the amount of time anyone spends in the Star Wars part. You have to have a special ticket with a reserved time block, you only get 4 hours and if you leave before the 4 hours is up you don't get back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah. Chris Ray Gun is a chud. There is no good faith argument to be had here, he's just as rear end in a top hat.

Chris Ray Gun is kinda like when conservative-leaning channels make bad parodies of something funnier, being that he copies so much of what iDubbbz does (to the point of burping for effect). He's not high on the offensive list compared to someone like TheQuartering in terms of acts but he's just...well, kinda poo poo really. Has that thing where they always say "LOOK I'M COMING FROM A LEFT POSITION OK? I'M NOT RIGHT WING!" even though all their videos seem to end up basically siding with the right-leaning position.

Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGXZ4VrIlOY

Now, as far as the actual content of the video goes I couldn't give a crap because I've not watched it (I mean, it's not an Armored Skeptic video that's going to rile up anyone but dunking on flat earthers isn't hard) but the video is sponsored by Dollar Shave Club. Those guys sponsor loads of folk and I understand getting the name out there and that (hell, I've even seen them on regular TV over here so I presume they're doing ok) but I don't understand - why would a shaving company put advertisements on a video by someone who largely uses a cartoon avatar? Wouldn't you want them to be displaying their nicely trimmed and thoroughly buttered beard or whatever throughout the whole thing instead of just in the ad? I don't get it