Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Either they were casing or it was a poorly thought out attempt to make some quick cash. Maybe they figured they could convince a couple morons to let them into the backyard to gently caress with cables for five minutes, before claiming their internet is now faster that'll be $250 please, cash only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pharmaskittle posted:

I assume anybody shady who physically comes to my house without an obvious product or scam is just checking out places to potentially burglarize. Or I guess just rob you then and there if you let them in :shrug:

I dunno. This is all I could find but it's not telling me much.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Account/DOOR-TO-DOOR-Sales-SCAM/td-p/5787453

Not sure how they could be casing my house from the front step either.

Should have grabbed my camera come to think of it, asking to photo their "badges".

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 29, 2019

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

2 young looking kids (maybe 18-20 years old) showed up at my door the other day claiming to be from ATT and apologized for "not looking like it" and told me they were informing people of some "services they were upgrading" or some such poo poo. I could have pressed it and asked "why don't I believe you? What department of ATT?".

But...what's the scam? Do people hand non uniformed random teenagers cash for telecom service?

Phone companies absolutely do send scammy looking people around like that. They don't bother with stuff like uniforms or anything because the job turnover is too high for an expense like that. It could have been scammers or employees (but I repeat myself); they're basically indistinguishable.

In my area they'll send people around like that saying "$phone company is upgrading to fiber in your neighborhood!" and try to get you to switch to DSL. By "neighborhood" they generally mean "maybe somewhere in your metro, but definitely not to your house."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

Phone companies absolutely do send scammy looking people around like that. They don't bother with stuff like uniforms or anything because the job turnover is too high for an expense like that. It could have been scammers or employees (but I repeat myself); they're basically indistinguishable.

In my area they'll send people around like that saying "$phone company is upgrading to fiber in your neighborhood!" and try to get you to switch to DSL. By "neighborhood" they generally mean "maybe somewhere in your metro, but definitely not to your house."

I don't know. I poked around some more and it sounds like it's not technically AT&T but some kind of weird, shady third party thing. I really wish I'd pulled out my phone, asked their names and called AT&T myself just to see how fast they would have run are slinked off. Comcast and ATT DO seem to have a weird turf war on my street and the latter had been laying down some new lines and poo poo so maybe they were just dumb kids. |

One kid looked genuinely hurt when I was a firm and curt "no thanks" so maybe I was as a dick. But I can live with that.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Don’t feel bad, if he’s legit and working door to door he better toughen up fast. He’s gonna get a lot more abuse than “no thanks.”

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We get plenty of calls for something similar, usually ISP or small power companies. They talk real fast and say "NTT affiliate" or "reseller."

Some JWs gave a pamphlet to my 3 year old who answered the door while I was using the hair dryer. I need some Satanic poo poo to wiggle at them :/

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

CannonFodder posted:

Doctor Acula will make sure you don't die in the first place.

I make no promises.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

peanut posted:

Some JWs gave a pamphlet to my 3 year old who answered the door while I was using the hair dryer. I need some Satanic poo poo to wiggle at them :/

Ask them if they are still letting abuse victims be closely questioned by their abusers before going to the police.

Ask them what happens to members of their church who want to leave.

Ask them how their church works to integrate gay or trans members.

If they have a young person with them, ask if they're having fun and tell them there are far better ways to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Nothing to do with scams, I just strongly dislike JWs and seem to get picked on a lot so I've had the opportunity to refine my responses.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sounds good, I will just tell them that my whole family is gay.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The JW's around here seem content to have a stand at street corners and not bother anyone unless they're approached.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

We tend to get groups door-knocking every couple of months or so, but my neighbours are JWs. When we first met five years ago they invited me to church and I told them as long as we never discuss this, we'll get along fine and we always have and still do. The rest of their group, though, seem to have taken it as a challenge and every time they pick up one of the kids to take them off for some casual child abuse they take the opportunity to knock on my door. One guy makes a point of parking over my drive, and just sits and stares at the house. Me and the baby laugh and wave out the window, but he never waves back.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sanford posted:

Ask them if they are still letting abuse victims be closely questioned by their abusers before going to the police.

If they have a young person with them, ask if they're having fun and tell them there are far better ways to spend a Saturday afternoon.

When you do stuff like this they just mark in their little notebooks that they were Persecuted. I'm given to understand that being Persecuted is redeemable for valuable Watchtower Bucks so it will only make others eager to come to your house as well

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Eric the Mauve posted:

When you do stuff like this they just mark in their little notebooks that they were Persecuted. I'm given to understand that being Persecuted is redeemable for valuable Watchtower Bucks so it will only make others eager to come to your house as well
Maybe this is why some people seem to have so much trouble with JWs/Mormons and I never do. I usually just say I'm happy with my current church and offer them a bottle of water

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

If you ask JWs not to come back, they’ll generally not come back. If you try to screw with, debate, or otherwise engage with them, they’ll keep coming back until they either convert you or you ask them not to come back.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Achmed Jones posted:

If you ask JWs not to come back, they’ll generally not come back. If you try to screw with, debate, or otherwise engage with them, they’ll keep coming back until they either convert you or you ask them not to come back.

When I told them to go away and never come back they just kept showing up. I started actively loving with them and they still wouldn't go away. They cleaned my kitchen one time before I said "you do realize I'm not even listening, right?" That still didn't make them stop coming by.

Thankfully there don't seem to be any where I live now. I haven't seen any in like a decade and I'm very happy about that. I'm all for freedom of religion but after getting repeatedly woken up at 7 in the drat morning by people I've repeatedly told to go away all bets are off and I'm going to start getting mean. I'm going to be increasingly mean until they finally quit bothering me.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

I got caught by the 'we are taking over the electricity supply in this region' scam resellers years back, luckily we have a 14 day cooling off period where I live so I could cancel. Down the line I had tele-scammers call up using that data, tell me my bank details and DOB etc, trying to get the number from the back of my card. After I (eventually) twigged and hung-up their 'manager' called up quite irate lol.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That still didn't make them stop coming by.

I used to get them fairly often. Just would tell them Im not interested and shut the door. They stopped coming to my house because just before whatever the one holiday they are allowed to actually celebrate a young pair/couple came and I was quite friendly and chatted with them at my door, explained very gently and kindly that I dont believe that morality is inherently any religions or countries, simply a facet of being human we naturally discover, wished them well for their holiday, that kind of thing.

Be (agenda-lessly) nice enough they question their faith and they will never be allowed back. Thats the devil. I assume being mean is just god testing them? Just a guess. Thats pretty much the option, or I believe you can tell them you are whatever the blacklist-code-word for excommunicated is.

Perpetual Hiatus fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 10, 2019

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
The one day a year I have a hangover is the day after the annual Christmas party with my friends. Two years ago my wife had taken the kids out to let me sleep in after they woke up at 6, bless her.

At 8 in the morning the doorbell rung - you guessed it. I am normally kind to people who do this sort of thing, but I hate JW after seeing both my sister and a good friend get shunned by spouses after leaving the club, and I had a headache. Told them that they were spawns if Satan and to never come back. Haven't seen them since.

Some Mormons came by half a year ago, and we had a nice chat about traveling and whatnot. They seemed much less pushy than JW.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Weirdly, the only time I've been approached by a JW was when I was overseas in Japan. I was mostly just baffled, this was a thirties-ish Japanese woman approaching and talking to me? That just didn't happen. Normally the only Japanese people who would talk to me were old grannies with no fucks left who were bored on the train.

Of course, a few years after that Prop 8 passed in California, and some Mormons decided a few days after that was a good day to come to my door. They were told to get off my property and that police would be called if they ever came back. They never did.

It isn't a scam but man Time Warner people would just walk right into the backyard if they needed to do some cable-related thing and not even inform me, and then act weird when I confronted them.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
When I had JW soul solicitors come 'round my place, I politely said I was an atheist, and no thank you. Once they didn't listen to that, it was on. I'd happily talk about the biblical minutiae for hours, whilst they had to stand in the cold. I'd be indoors, wrapped warmly in a blanket. I figured the longer I kept them busy, the less people they would bother.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
From least to most annoying:

1. Mormons: Still kinda pissed about the Prop 8 bullshit we had to endure for a bit here in California thanks to them but otherwise they're generally pretty chill. "No thank you, I'm quite happy in my current beliefs" and they go away 99% of the time. Used to tell them I was an Atheist but that just made them come back harder, so I've switched to vague language for convenience.

2. JW's: My roommate made the mistake of engaging with a pair once, and for the next month they'd show up every other loving day thinking they had an in when he was just trying to be nice. Outside that though they generally go away if asked, although sometimes they'll leave a pamphlet on my doorstep as they go even if I explicitly tell them not to.

3. Those loving people trying to sell me carpet cleaner, and insist on me letting them into my house so they can demo it on a patch of carpeting. Oh my god they will just not go away and will stand their insisting they be let in forever until I slam the door in their face. Had one couple who even after that stood their ringing the bell and knocking for another ten minutes before finally loving off.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sydin posted:

3. Those loving people trying to sell me carpet cleaner, and insist on me letting them into my house so they can demo it on a patch of carpeting. Oh my god they will just not go away and will stand their insisting they be let in forever until I slam the door in their face. Had one couple who even after that stood their ringing the bell and knocking for another ten minutes before finally loving off.

Castle Doctrine

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

My Grandmother was JW but you'd never really know it and she never pushed it on me. I live in her old house now and her friend that lives on the street is another matter and she pisses me right off. I've asked her repeatedly to tone it down around me and especially around my son because I consider that to be a very personal matter but she still tries to give him jesus books and bs him about this crap. I hate any pushy religious types and take them as arrogant, condescending and disrespectful.

the TV religious scams though are, to me, the worst of the bunch and I hope if there is a hell these people go to the express lane. All these mega churches, faith healers, miracle spring water cancer cures and colleges like Bob Jones and Liberty just burn my rear end.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My favorite thing about Bob Jones is the slave labor that is a requirement attached to the privilege of paying them five figures a year in tuition to attend there

you know, because it Builds Character and stuff

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Sydin posted:

1. Mormons: Still kinda pissed about the Prop 8 bullshit we had to endure for a bit here in California thanks to them but otherwise they're generally pretty chill. "No thank you, I'm quite happy in my current beliefs" and they go away 99% of the time. Used to tell them I was an Atheist but that just made them come back harder, so I've switched to vague language for convenience.

God help you if you were ever a member of the Mormon church though. My wife grew up Mormon and quit pretty much as soon as she saw how terribly people were treated if they didn't bend over backwards to do things the church's way. Her dad had heart surgery and was nearly excommunicated (Is that what Mormons do if you piss them off? Or is it called something different?) when he didn't make it to church for a little while after. She has a ton of other stories of people being shunned for slightly deviated from the church's doctrine as well.

Anyway, for the next 15 years they knocked on her door at least twice a week and despite all her attempts to tell them to gently caress off they only quit when she started answering the door with a glass of wine. I guess day drinking made her beyond their help. She moved at least 4 times over that period and they found her every single time. I'm pretty sure her mom was giving the Mormons her address each time though she denies it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A lot of religious groups are past masters at doxxing, in some cases they’ve been at it for literal centuries.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Wow, my friend just got hit with the “There’s a warrant out for your arrest” scam. The guy claimed to be a sheriff’s deputy, wanting to talk to her about missing a summons for federal jury duty. The interesting part is that he had her previous address, which happened to be on the same street, making it seem quite possible that a piece of mail was sent to the wrong place. Fortunately, she went straight to the local sheriffs’ office to take care of it in person, instead of waiting for the guy to call her back. She actually called him from inside the building, trying to find him. He said that he would have to arrest her if they met in person, but he felt bad about everything, and hmm, isn’t there a Walgreens nearby? Before he could get to the monetary part, a sharp volunteer caught what was going on and made her hang up the phone.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Domus posted:

Wow, my friend just got hit with the “There’s a warrant out for your arrest” scam. The guy claimed to be a sheriff’s deputy, wanting to talk to her about missing a summons for federal jury duty. The interesting part is that he had her previous address, which happened to be on the same street, making it seem quite possible that a piece of mail was sent to the wrong place. Fortunately, she went straight to the local sheriffs’ office to take care of it in person, instead of waiting for the guy to call her back. She actually called him from inside the building, trying to find him. He said that he would have to arrest her if they met in person, but he felt bad about everything, and hmm, isn’t there a Walgreens nearby? Before he could get to the monetary part, a sharp volunteer caught what was going on and made her hang up the phone.

1. Sheriff's Deputies do not serve federal jury summons/arrest warrants, Deputy U.S. Marshals do.

2. Nobody calls you on the phone to serve an arrest warrant, they come to your house (sometimes with guns drawn).

This information needs to be put out in a public service commercial or something.

Also, I told my mother who lives in Florida that if she ever gets a collect call from someone telling her that one of my sons are in jail to tell them to gently caress off and hang up.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Domus posted:

Wow, my friend just got hit with the “There’s a warrant out for your arrest” scam. The guy claimed to be a sheriff’s deputy, wanting to talk to her about missing a summons for federal jury duty. The interesting part is that he had her previous address, which happened to be on the same street, making it seem quite possible that a piece of mail was sent to the wrong place.

in the united states, any time you legally change your address it becomes a matter of public record and goes into a public searchable database. open a new incognito window sometime and search "your name" + "city you live in" and look at all the websites which list your phone number and past addresses. any place you've signed a lease or otherwise put your name on paper should be accessible to anyone who can google you

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So I have a spam gmail account that I used to use for online shopping. Don't use it much anymore, but I still have it hooked up to a few things I use, and being gmail I get notifications for it on my phone.

A long while ago, maybe 3 years, I started getting gmail security alerts. They were notifying me that my linked accounts had been suspended, or a new sign on had occurred, or that my account had been linked to another.

All the accounts were like FirstnameLastname1881. Always that format, and ALWAYS with 1881 as the suffix.

Problem is, these accounts weren't mine. Someone had been using my spam account as the linked back-up account. I've googled the names and it looks like they're names of real people. One was a high up air force officer or something... so clearly these e-mail accounts are being used for scams. I've changed password several times, so there's no chance that anything is compromised on my end. I mean, the account has been part of dumps in the past (just like everyone else), but nothing recent and the current password is randomly generated from LastPass. There's also no suspicious sign-on activity for my actual account, just alerts for all the "linked" accounts.

So what the hell is the scam here? I can't figure it out. Is it just some automated thing where they're linking a random gmail address? I didn't think a linked account was required for anything, so I don't know why someone would go to those lengths. Or is this some attempt at phishing where I'm supposed to get curious and click around?

To be sure, these are legit google e-mails. Someone is actually linking my e-mail to other accounts... I don't really care, I'm more bothered that I haven't been able to figure out what sort of scam this is.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
A couple years ago the JWs sent an extremely attractive woman by herself to canvas my area, which is very rural.

I live in a relatively safe area, but she was still doing things like driving back driveways that are far long enough not to be visible to the road and away from neighbors

She really didn’t look comfortable and I wonder what she did wrong to be assigned that task

Last week some old guy sent some really young kid to knock on my door while he hung out by the car. He didn’t try too hard, knocking lightly once and leaving a pamphlet

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's really weird, both JW and LDS missionaries always travel in pairs.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

peanut posted:

That's really weird, both JW and LDS missionaries always travel in pairs.

I’ve seen single men (older) on the subway station detail, but never a single woman.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

I steal my jokes from the best.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
This is a new one on me. I work for a university and a staff member sent out a warning to an admin mailing list.

From the student:

"I just received an automated call which indicated that the HR department had found criminal record on my background check. I am very confused because I have never had any criminal record. The call did say that it was associated with [school] and the number was very similar (although not exact) to the one of the actual HRSC. I was fairly certain it wasn’t legitimate but I couldn’t be too sure. The call just said that I had failed a criminal background check and that if that seemed incorrect that I should call this other number to fix it."

The school does actually do background checks on incoming TA placements, and whoever is running the scam apparently knows this--but they don't do the checks until the summer, and they have to get consent forms and all that ahead of time. Call the second number, confirm a bunch of your personal info to 'clear this up' and they're off to the races.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dang that's a specific target :catstare:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ They can get really specific; like the one I posted about earlier (and quoted in this post) involved impersonating my boss (like the actual specific person, not just the role of "boss") and used his name/position. It basically relied on assuming it'd hit some people personally acquainted with him (or subordinate to him) and that they'd assume that it's safer to send the gift cards than risk getting fired or whatever.

Ytlaya posted:

So my boss's colleague was almost scammed, and it's amazing he almost fell for it. I received the same scam e-mail.

Basically it was an e-mail from "myboss'sname27@gmail.com" that said "Hey, are you there. I need you for something." and then had my boss's professional information like in a normal-ish work e-mail (my boss is a department chair at the university I work at). Boss's colleague replies "Sure, what do you need" and then the scammer says "I need some Playstation gift cards" (lol) and then the colleague replies "Where should I send them" (how he did not figure out this is a scam by this point I have no idea; he's worked with my boss for years and they are both men over the age of 60). Fortunately he contacted my boss after the follow-up e-mail said to contact an address that had some random woman's name and a couple typos. He did not buy the gift cards.

I guess it was somewhat sophisticated as far as phishing scams go in the sense that it didn't ask for money immediately and involved posing as a specific person and contacting their coworkers. G-mail notified me "this e-mail isn't from the one Boss's Name usually uses" which was nice.

Btw, I ended up finding out that someone else in our department actually completely fell for this scam and tried to send my boss $200 in Playstation gift cards (and are now obviously out $200)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 15, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ They can get really specific; like the one I posted about earlier (and quoted in this post) involved impersonating my boss (like the actual specific person, not just the role of "boss") and used his name/position. It basically relied on assuming it'd hit some people personally acquainted with him (or subordinate to him) and that they'd assume that it's safer to send the gift cards than risk getting fired or whatever.

Btw, I ended up finding out that someone else in our department actually completely fell for this scam and tried to send my boss $200 in Playstation gift cards (and are now obviously out $200)

so basically this

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Sanford posted:

Nothing to do with scams, I just strongly dislike JWs and seem to get picked on a lot so I've had the opportunity to refine my responses.

My best friend in HS was a Witness. I know how they work. My friends family wasn't pushy. Religion never came up unless it was regarding holidays, birthdays, or participating in organized activities with non-Witnesses. My friend never tried to convert me, he just told me about the religion. His mom always wanted to limit him in how many non-Witness friends he had but she let him do what he wanted in the end.

When Witnesses show up at my house, I always take the time to talk their ear off. I always say "I know and respect your religion but you will never see me in a Kingdom Hall." Then I'll talk non-stop with questions and opinions. I talk until they question their faith. I'll usually grab a few different Bibles that I have so we can reference scripture and then really get into it.

They don't come back.

I'm not even religious, I just like to collect Bibles and study the Bible so I have reference in religious discussions. Once you start to explain numerology to them they get anxious (144,000 will be saved). Oddly specific number. They start scratching their feet on the porch and then remember that they had a pie in the oven and have to get home.

The Baptists are worse but all you have to do is say that you have accepted Jesus into your heart and have been saved. Then start proselytizing, like they are doing, and they run away too. Know the Bible and you'll win any argument.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
My father is law is deeply religious(Muslim) and always welcoming to the jw's when they come around.

Imagine the worst Starwars nerd you know who had Mark Hamil to himself for an hour and was truly deeply and sincerely interested in the most minor points of Star wars.

They don't come around much anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

So scam time, Argentina edition: I have some future in-laws in Argentina and have visited a couple of times (I live in the UK). Two of them just got contacted yesterday by a UK number, one was messaged on Whatsapp and the other was called directly by someone saying they were me (my name) although the caller was obviously Argentinian. They said I had lost my phone and were asking these guys to resend their contact details.

I'm now quite confused on a couple of levels: 1) what do I do in response to this and 2) How the gently caress did these guys get this info?

The UK number they used isn't one I know. Google doesn't show any suspicious logins or account accesses for any of my accounts, I have not replaced my phone in the last year. In both cases the scammer knew my name and the name of the person they were contacting but nothing else (the second guy he asked 'is this my son X?'). I don't think I've been hacked in part because of no suspicious activitity but also I don't actually have the second guy in my contacts so there wouldn't be any obvious way to get that info. The scammer was asking for more info to be sent rather than money. As far as I can tell they're the only contacts anyone has had.