Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Configured a couple of interfaces on a firewall today remotely in advance of that box getting moved to our site (I'm not doing the work this weekend hence getting things prepped in advance). Was connected via a VPN, added the public IP address of our connection to a spare interface and....got kicked out.

I guess it got confused with the idea of a VPN client being connected from an internet address that matched one of its own interfaces, should have seen that coming really. Had to hotspot off my phone to finish the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

hihifellow posted:

An emergency ticket came in, a client's only Citrix server powered off in the middle of the day and now nobody can work!
Oh I know exactly how this is going to end.

quote:

Boot it back up, check the event logs and find the shutdown event.
Wait for iiiiiiit....

quote:

Started by the person who filled the ticket.
There it is

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That’s why you have one domain admin account that everyone shares so who knows, who broke it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

A ticket came in! We just lost all network infrastructure in one of our buildings! My boss and I head over to the network closest that has all the fiber that feeds the rest of the network closets in the building to see our 3rd party wiring guy in there patching down cables.

All our of switches are off and the PDU that feeds said switches are off. We ask the dude wtf he's doing and he's like uhhh nothing, just patching cables. We notice the main UPS in the rack is sitting on the floor having been remove from said rack. Apparently it was "in his way" and he unscrewed it from the rack and pushed it out of the rack a little. Doing so caused it to hit the power button on the floor because of how it was angled and put it in some sort of bypass mode, which, while it was still powered it just wasn't pushing out any power. Hit the power button again and boom, PDU back on and then switches. Oh boy is my manager going to have it out with the wiring companies boss as to why in the holy gently caress was he touching any equipment!

The other weird thing, which we've had this issue before, is our network admin had no clue what was going on. I thought all our UPS's were managed and he certainly should have gotten some sort of alert that, hey, this UPS has 0 draw on it, something might be up! But no, apparently he got no such alert. Also, the PDU has dual power supplies in it, both were plugged into the same UPS. :(

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mattfl posted:

Also, the PDU has dual power supplies in it, both were plugged into the same UPS. :(
I've seen this kind of thing happen in places that promised seven nines worth of uptime; it's incredibly common.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've seen it done that way where the setup was to have redundant racks rather than redundant power and network connections to each rack. Simplifies setup, costs a fuckton.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
TIL that apparently if you have a wrongly encoded enough wav file playing as a menu prompt in Voicemail Pro, it will work fine a few times and then spontaneously double in file size and transform into a corrupted cacophony that sounds like an audio log from Hell.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Late last week I had a ticket cut directly to me from HR prompting me to complete a background check. This is strange because I’ve been here for a few years now and have never been asked to submit to one.

Doing some digging and asking a few people I found out the reason: apparently when I copied my permissions from my mentor’s credentials back when there were only a few of us in my role globally, I was granted root access to one of the foundational services we offer. Meaning, not only did I have access to all kinds of internal data, I had the ability to turn the service completely off at a global level.

I’ve hosed up by turning off the wrong server before, but having the ability to turn off or break a service for the entire world is next level paranoia-inducing.

I could not get the real service admins to remove me from the role group fast enough.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

Late last week I had a ticket cut directly to me from HR prompting me to complete a background check. This is strange because I’ve been here for a few years now and have never been asked to submit to one.

Doing some digging and asking a few people I found out the reason: apparently when I copied my permissions from my mentor’s credentials back when there were only a few of us in my role globally, I was granted root access to one of the foundational services we offer. Meaning, not only did I have access to all kinds of internal data, I had the ability to turn the service completely off at a global level.

I’ve hosed up by turning off the wrong server before, but having the ability to turn off or break a service for the entire world is next level paranoia-inducing.

I could not get the real service admins to remove me from the role group fast enough.
I was discussing world travel and stuff with a friend, and he mentioned being kidnapped, and I started to say "no one would ever want to kidnap me..."

And then I started to think about it, and I've got substantial access to several hundred million dollars in corporate assets. Had a low-grade anxiety attack. I try not to think about that stuff too much. In some ways, working at a small business is better; the stakes for your fuckups are so much lower.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

I‘m always kind of awestruck at scale like this. What service? Or if you can’t give the name of the service what are some things we might notice go offline?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Agrikk posted:

phsh. I have root access to the servers that run the entire core business. If they're down, it's 7 figures/hour. NBD, really. :)

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Agrikk posted:

https://aws.amazon.com/message/41926/

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Entropic posted:

TIL that apparently if you have a wrongly encoded enough wav file playing as a menu prompt in Voicemail Pro, it will work fine a few times and then spontaneously double in file size and transform into a corrupted cacophony that sounds like an audio log from Hell.

This reminded me of extension 666. You definitely want the volume turned down for this one.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Thanatosian posted:

I was discussing world travel and stuff with a friend, and he mentioned being kidnapped, and I started to say "no one would ever want to kidnap me..."

And then I started to think about it, and I've got substantial access to several hundred million dollars in corporate assets. Had a low-grade anxiety attack. I try not to think about that stuff too much. In some ways, working at a small business is better; the stakes for your fuckups are so much lower.

I won't visit Russia, China, and some of the older eastern-bloc countries for similar reasons.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A vendor on a conference call is getting very upset that we're being mean to them.

I think we're allowed to be mean to vendors after their critical service has been broken for 36 hours and they have yet to do anything to fix it.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Aunt Beth posted:

I‘m always kind of awestruck at scale like this. What service? Or if you can’t give the name of the service what are some things we might notice go offline?

Pretty sure he works for Amazon and deals with AWS, so..... I could be getting computer touchers mixed up though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alighieri posted:

Pretty sure he works for Amazon and deals with AWS, so..... I could be getting computer touchers mixed up though.

No, you're right. Agrikk has made no secret of it here.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Like this, yeah. But for the whole world at once.

Sort of like at the end of Ready Player One when the kid wins the game and becomes all-powerful and the old guy shows him the button that turns off OASIS for good.

I’m real glad I don’t have that access anymore.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I was studying up on BGP yesterday and was kind of disturbed to learn that a single incompetent administrator can take down the entire internet.

Then I was disturbed to learn that it's already happened

e: I didn't find any documentation on it but I do remember an outage we had a while back where seemingly random customers were unable to reach random websites. I found out during the RCA that verizon had accidentally advertised a ton of extra BGP routes and it filled up the routing table on a bunch of older Cisco routers. So a bunch of the world's WAN routers just forgot how to route a portion of the internet.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 25, 2019

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Renegret posted:

I was studying up on BGP yesterday and was kind of disturbed to learn that a single incompetent administrator can take down the entire internet.

e: I didn't find any documentation on it but I do remember an outage we had a while back where seemingly random customers were unable to reach random websites. I found out during the RCA that verizon had accidentally advertised a ton of extra BGP routes and it filled up the routing table on a bunch of older Cisco routers. So a bunch of the world's WAN routers just forgot how to route a portion of the internet.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/some-internet-outages-predicted-for-the-coming-month-as-768k-day-approaches/

It might happen again soon.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

it's worth mentioning that I didn't look for information about it that hard either :v:

This article is both terrifying, and useful, because I have an interview tomorrow for the network team and I can probably make myself look good by bringing this up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Renegret posted:

I remember studying for CCNA and hearing "BGP is super solid tech and it's totally fine now forever" but then on my first post-CCNA job I saw BGP leak twice and gently caress poo poo up.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Renegret posted:

...at my old job they still told the tale of one broken fuse breaking the internet for 40% of Europe.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

DONT TOUCH THE PC posted:

...at my old job they still told the tale of one broken fuse breaking the internet for 40% of Europe.

Don't forget that shutting down power plants in Eastern Europe made the clocks in England run slow.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Don't forget that shutting down power plants in Eastern Europe made the clocks in England run slow.

Dafuq?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/8/17095440/europe-clocks-running-slow-electricity-frequency-kosovo-serbia

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
England was actually ok. They're connected to the mainland by HVDC and operate their internal grid frequency independently from the rest of Europe. The rest of the continent was affected though. The organization that oversees the grid put out a passive aggressive press release asking to keep political issues out of the power grid.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The worst I’ve seen was a voice router losing its IP connection (so no calls) because the Ethernet cable had creeped slightly out on its own. Literally touched the cable to push it back in and all was well. Good thing there was an HA router up and running.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Agrikk posted:

At least you've never inadvertently terminated your company's Japanese CEO? :v: In my defense, he was on my list!

...I realize, typing this, that it makes me sound like I'm an international assassin and not a computer toucher.

Thanatosian posted:

Yeeeah. My company has an international hotline that I describe to people as, "Basically, you call, and Liam Neeson shows up." When I went to Ukraine last year with my band, I had to contact our international security team and get their assessment of the area. It wasn't bad enough that I would have to leave my work assets at home, but I didn't take anything just in case. We were in Odessa for a few days, and that's shading into the separatist areas of the country these days. There are a few countries we're prohibited from taking work assets into, and we have temporary laptops and phones for those people.

I don't THINK I'm a target for anything hinky, but I definitely don't wear my :yayclod: swag in public much, either.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

At least you've never inadvertently terminated your company's Japanese CEO? :v: In my defense, he was on my list!

“Basically, you call, and Liam Neeson shows up."

...international assassin...

Checks out.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SamsCola posted:

England was actually ok. They're connected to the mainland by HVDC and operate their internal grid frequency independently from the rest of Europe. The rest of the continent was affected though. The organization that oversees the grid put out a passive aggressive press release asking to keep political issues out of the power grid.

Ireland, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland were also fine! :shobon:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I imagine people who do not use kitchen appliances to manage their time were okay too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

feedmegin posted:

Don't forget the Isle of Man

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

feedmegin posted:

I went deep down the rabbit hole of research for a few days after hearing about that whole power time thing. I was living in Ireland at the time and discovered that the Irish power authority has a website with live details of the power generation by type of generator in the country (among other neat into) and details on the HVDC links to the UK. Real cool stuff.

I guess it's related to IT in that I was goofing off at work?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is a neat app http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/people/alex.rogers/gridcarbon/

National Grid also publish data https://extranet.nationalgrid.com/RealTime and it's made more accessible here http://gridwatch.co.uk/

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sheep posted:

This reminded me of extension 666. You definitely want the volume turned down for this one.

The glitch I had was much more literally hellish sounding.

This was the first thing callers got when they called the main number. At very high volume.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Gotta be honest, I'd dawdle as long as possible on fixing that.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

A Russian email address sent our service desk address a little test email at 4:48 PM yesterday.

After the service system sent back a positive automated response, the flood gates opened. Between 5:04 PM and 6:06 AM, we received over 1000 false help tickets advertising everything from pharmaceuticals to mail order brides.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Did you try turning her off and on again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

my cat is norris posted:

A Russian email address sent our service desk address a little test email at 4:48 PM yesterday.

After the service system sent back a positive automated response, the flood gates opened. Between 5:04 PM and 6:06 AM, we received over 1000 false help tickets advertising everything from pharmaceuticals to mail order brides.

The mistake was in accepting mail from Russia, hth?