Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

RZA Encryption posted:

Maybe they ended up at costco because they messed up the label at a factory and they know costco customers will accept flaws in the name of getting a deal?

That's like costco in a nutshell. It won't be exactly what you want, but it'll be priced to get you to accept that.

Costco doesn’t sell odds/2nds at all though? 🥺

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Costco doesn’t sell odds/2nds at all though? 🥺

It was a guess as to why they would have mediums marked as xxxl but I missed that it was a joke and not actually mislabeled product.

The other part of my statement was about my personal experience with them tending to have things that aren't what I would normally buy, but might be good enough since it's a deal, like not having the good belvita flavor (blueberry).

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

priznat posted:

I can’t eat the pack of dogs fast enough, do folks find they’re ok to freeze? I have one of those vacuum sealer things and I was thinking freeze singles for when the urge hits me.

As a food scientist (yes really), you can absolutely freeze hot dogs or any other type of emulsified sausage.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

As a food scientist (yes really), you can absolutely freeze hot dogs or any other type of emulsified sausage.

Sweet, doin that next time!

Seems kind of obvious now, I freeze a lot of meats using the vacuum sealer (which I think I got at costco too! :h:)

On that topic what things are bad to freeze? I get the costco pitas and freeze them (in the bags) but they always turn out way too dried out when I thaw them in the microwave (with a little water in hopes to perk them up).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

priznat posted:

Seems kind of obvious now, I freeze a lot of meats using the vacuum sealer (which I think I got at costco too! :h:)

On that topic what things are bad to freeze? I get the costco pitas and freeze them (in the bags) but they always turn out way too dried out when I thaw them in the microwave (with a little water in hopes to perk them up).

I'm sure I. Sparkle will have a much better explanation but it's something with freezer air being super dry and sucking moisture out of breads and things. Pretty sure that's what freezerburn is. I have decent luck with vacuum sealing breads THEN freezing them. Air can't be dry if there isn't much in there to begin with :eng101:

Could be SUPER wrong though

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

KakerMix posted:

Air can't be dry if there isn't much in there to begin with :eng101:

The Costco tire center guys will fill your bread bag with nitrogen to make your bread freezable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

priznat posted:

You can freeze the butter which I totally did not expect

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

The Costco tire center guys will fill your bread bag with nitrogen to make your bread freezable.

lmao

Fallom posted:

You can freeze the butter which I totally did not expect

Really? I would have thought it would get all gritty feeling or whatever. Weird!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

You laugh, but 5 unripe avocados for 7 buckos is as cheap as it gets. 1 ripe avocado can go for a few bucks even at a local mexican market. You buy in bulk and basically just wait for them to ripe.

It depends a lot on where you live.

In CA you can get primo ripe sale avocados at a supermarket for $1 per. No waiting for them to be ripe.

Avocados get significantly more expensive, smaller, and shittier, the farther you get from Mexico, in which case I can understand why you would buy unripe avocados.

And just for the record, those avocados are currently $9 a bag, not $7, though I can understand your confusion because they are usually more like $7 but market forces have pushed them way up recently.

You should try to be more accurate though as this is the second time in like 2 days that you've dramatically underestimated the price of the things you're buying at costco, which seems like an issue.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

In CA you can get primo ripe sale avocados at a supermarket for $1 per. No waiting for them to be ripe.

Avocados get significantly more expensive, smaller, and shittier, the farther you get from Mexico, in which case I can understand why you would buy unripe avocados.

And just for the record, those avocados are currently $9 a bag, not $7, though I can understand your confusion because they are usually more like $7 but market forces have pushed them way up recently.

You should try to be more accurate though as this is the second time in like 2 days that you've dramatically underestimated the price of the things you're buying at costco, which seems like an issue.
i dunno my man, i live in norcal and avocados are expensive as gently caress. Lets not even talk about Safeway pricing which is like $1.5-1.75 "on sale" to $1.99 (and ill often see $2.99! gently caress safeway). Both my normally-cheap asian-ran produce market and berkeley bowl are often still only like $1.25 for a small-med avocado during peak harvest season only--typically more like $1.5 to $1.89+. I only very rarely see them carry $1 avocados and only for 2-3 weeks out of the year and often the small and underripe ones (which can be fine, small 'cados can be enough and waiting is not a big deal). Again most normally looking at $1.25 at the minimum floor. i dont often hit up mexican grocery stores since they're further away but I found that to be similar the few times I went looking for good avocados.

I admit SoCal might be much cheaper for obvious mentioned reasons, so IDK about that.

as far as the bag of avocados from Cstco goes, I do want to say I see them for something like 6/$7.99? I remember doing math a year or two back, and they came out to be like ~$1.25 each that way but I found it wasn't a good deal because there always at least one that was just rotten or heavily bruised or I don't eat in time. I found it much better just to buy as I need them (usually a day or two in advance because all the stores I go to very rarely have same-day ripe ones).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Xaris posted:

I admit SoCal might be much cheaper for obvious mentioned reasons, so IDK about that.

as far as the bag of avocados from Cstco goes, I do want to say I see them for something like 6/$7.99? I remember doing math a year or two back, and they came out to be like ~$1.25 each that way but I found it wasn't a good deal because there always at least one that was just rotten or heavily bruised or I don't eat in time. I found it much better just to buy as I need them (usually a day or two in advance because all the stores I go to very rarely have same-day ripe ones).

I'm in the bay area, not Socal and they are always on sale for somewhere at $1 per and we eat like a million avocados so I know this for sure. In fact Safeway is the most common place we get them from. Which is saying a lot because the usual price of produce at Safeway is absolutely terrible.

And like I very clearly said, they recently increased to $9 at Costco, I went there yesterday and they were $9. Not to sperg out but I roughly track the prices of the poo poo we buy, not because we need the cash but because being smart with money really pays off.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

priznat posted:

lmao

Really? I would have thought it would get all gritty feeling or whatever. Weird!

Nah butter freezes really well. I buy butter at the church and freeze all the packs that aren't being used.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Taima posted:

Sir and or madam, I currently live about as SO as SoCal gets(give or take a few miles). Avocados are quite expensive. Even now. A small half pound plastic container of pure guac ranges from $7-$10 bucks depending on what market you go to and whether it is of a Hispanic or other local ethnic market.

An whole unripe avocado has been upwards of $2ish buckos, again depending on the location.

Maybe my aunt gave my mother bad information about the price of a bag of unripe avocados from Costco, but also maybe I like to over exaggerate prices about dumb poo poo every now and then for funsies.

I will do my due diligence and make sure all my bullshit price estimates are infact up to par and do not upset the fine posters of the "General Bullshit" forums of Somethingawful.com.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hotdogs plus a refill range from $1-$100 bucks. Somewhere in there idk. I'm guessing here.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I regularly buy avocados for 50 cents each at national stores like Fresh Thyme. They're almost always $1 or less at bigger/not fancy rear end local groceries. And always about 50 cents at Mexican groceries.

It's almost as if proximity to Mexico isn't the only factor determining price for avocados

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 3, 2021

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Superking sells avocados for .69 each on sale probably once a month. They usually have a range of ripeness too so you can get ones for now and ones that'll be good in a week. It's a nice price.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Good Dog posted:

Superking sells avocados for .69 each on sale probably once a month. They usually have a range of ripeness too so you can get ones for now and ones that'll be good in a week. It's a nice price.

nice

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

KakerMix posted:

I'm sure I. Sparkle will have a much better explanation but it's something with freezer air being super dry and sucking moisture out of breads and things. Pretty sure that's what freezerburn is. I have decent luck with vacuum sealing breads THEN freezing them. Air can't be dry if there isn't much in there to begin with :eng101:

Could be SUPER wrong though

No you have it pretty much right, but that's only one of the issues with most home freezers. One of the major ones is that they freeze food so slowly, larger ice crystals form and break cell walls, and can ruin the texture of foods. Also, a lot of enzymatic reactions continue at home freezer temperatures, so blanch your vegetables before freezing.

But emulsified sausages like hot dogs freeze beautifully, and yes, butter. But things that have higher water content is where you run into trouble.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I can get decent avacados for like .69 cents here at a standard grocery store in the middle of the mountains in Colorado.

Sometimes you gotta buy them 3-5 days out so they ripen though.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
the price of avocados at my local costco is about 25 cents per gallon cheaper than it is at the other gas stations in the area

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 25, 2019

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
It's almost like thing like produce and meat can have different prices in different parts of the country...

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Trastion posted:

It's almost like thing like produce and meat can have different prices in different parts of the country...

No, no, they're dramatically underestimating the price of things at that one person's Costco.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah I really like that one. Raw sauerkraut is delicious

I usually pair that with Kirkland Signature Bratwursts

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bloodplay it again posted:

the price of avocados at my local costco is about 25 cents per gallon cheaper than it is at the other gas stations in the area

We've hit peak avocados.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

We've hit peak avocados.

I just hope the children never see avocado rationing like during the meme wars...

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i buy my avocados from some dude under an umbrella with a beat to poo poo white ford econoline van on the side of the road

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They got some good oranges too. And raw honey!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my local costco carries this which is great

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Went to the church to get some shirts and noticed the food court had the al pastor salad.

Was tempted to get it but it’s soy meat? I’ll pass.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Moey posted:

I can get decent avacados for like .69 cents here at a standard grocery store in the middle of the mountains in Colorado.

Sometimes you gotta buy them 3-5 days out so they ripen though.

Fresh Olathe sweet corn is where it's at. A treasure of the region.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Since there’s a bunch of you in SoCal, I’m really not sure how you’re spending so much on avacados. I passed through Ramona about 2 weeks back and it was like 10 avacados for $6 from roadside stands. I think the food stands in Lakeside are similar in price too.

MarcusSA posted:

Went to the church to get some shirts and noticed the food court had the al pastor salad.

Was tempted to get it but it’s soy meat? I’ll pass.

You’re missing out. That salad to me is the best thing on the food court menu. The soy taste is acceptable as the dressing and fresh bell peppers make up for any minor faults.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AmbientParadox posted:

Since there’s a bunch of you in SoCal, I’m really not sure how you’re spending so much on avacados. I passed through Ramona about 2 weeks back and it was like 10 avacados for $6 from roadside stands. I think the food stands in Lakeside are similar in price too.

I'd imagine most people aren't buying their produce from the side of the road

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

They had a 4 pack of ramen bowls in the fridge section. Not worth it IMO, they are just fancy cup o' noodles instead of something like restaurant style ramen like I was hoping.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AmbientParadox posted:

You’re missing out. That salad to me is the best thing on the food court menu. The soy taste is acceptable as the dressing and fresh bell peppers make up for any minor faults.

Hmm ok maybe I’ll give it a shot next time.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Roadside avocados are great, but you have to go out to San Diego County, so it's a rare item for most people. But yeah you do get a grocery bag full for few bucks.

The last time I was in Costco, avocados were small and had gone up like $3.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
In Iowa (lol) the cheapest guacamole we can find are those Wholly Guacamole single servings they're quite good, PBUC.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

FogHelmut posted:

Roadside avocados are great, but you have to go out to San Diego County, so it's a rare item for most people. But yeah you do get a grocery bag full for few bucks.

The last time I was in Costco, avocados were small and had gone up like $3.

I have yet to find an avocado stand that wasn't a classic bait and switch that conveniently just ran out of avocados but has plenty of oranges. Trust me they were just about to take down that 5 avocados for a dollar sign!!

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Avocados from Mexico have never let me down.

California avocados are dicey propositions.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Vato posted:

Avocados from Mexico have never let me down.

California avocados are dicey propositions.

Mmmmm diced avocados.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Secht posted:

Did anyone use the Co to buy a car? I noticed some service is included with membership and just starting to weigh options.

I’ve bought two