Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
The game seems pretty unbalanced wrt swordcane vs guns, which you'd expect from real life but assume is handled by the system somehow. It's not so Matt unknowingly rolled an underpowered character. D&D has the same problem with Fighters sucking poo poo vs Wizards after a few levels
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

papa horny michael posted:

I thought they stated on the show they wouldn't have him on because of the belief that he is still grifting.

Really? I always got the impression that he was a very sincere idiot but I guess if you call yourself a political campaign advisor you know how the game is played if you're going to be any good.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

I do a lot of tabletop role playing, and Matt's reaction wasn't too uncommon for people who are new to it and haven't really been handled correctly by the DM and to a lesser extent the other players. It's easy for new people to get frustrated when they feel like they built a "bad" character or that the adventure isn't giving them opportunities to do useful things. I wouldn't try to psychoanalyze the podcast man over getting upset at a game in a way a lot of people do.

It was all set-up for Dr. PennyFarthing to finally come true and have his enfeebled self save the world from the predation of the Elder God Chad! _All_ part of his character arc, for all who have eyes to see.

I mean, read some Campbell, folks!

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's hosed up that Matt was too depressed to realize he should have fused Rasputin's dick to his body to replace his own mutilated genitals.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Gripweed posted:

If he actually played video games he'd be able to make a much stronger argument against them. I remember specifically he said that all NPCs are just tools that the player used to accomplish their goal and had no emotional connection to them, which effected how gamer see reality.

But, like, one of the biggest games of the past couple years was Persona, the game about forming strong relationships in high school. Half the game play in Persona has the only reward of being better friends with the NPCs.

Which Matt could've used to strengthen his "games are better than reality" argument

that is not persona at all

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lessail posted:

that is not persona at all

They made more Personas after Persona 1, dude

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Gripweed posted:

and becoming friends with the npcs gives you rewards other than just virtual friendship

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Woah Ingmar Bergman made a sequel?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lessail posted:

and becoming friends with the npcs gives you rewards other than just virtual friendship

Oh right, you get extra character specific bonus content where you get to see them grow as people. fair point

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

Double well actually: Yes, half of Persona 1 was in the high school dungeon trying to map out whether "telling a joke", "dance" or "stare" will get this god damned serious/grumpy zombie cop to give you his spell card. It is Persona.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Oh right, you get extra character specific bonus content where you get to see them grow as people. fair point

oh ok you're just doing a dumbass bit

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gripweed posted:

You also get bigger numbers to fight with

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!

prefect posted:

drat, Amber being rough on Nathan J. :ohdear:

I think he’s written some good pieces. The profile of Buttigieg got me to subscribe to current affairs. The fake British accent is really loving weird though.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The social links in persona are directly related to in game bonuses, and one of the more common critiques I've seen of the series is that it unintentionally gamifies social interaction in such a way that you can easily interpret the protagonists of 3 4 and 5 as acting somewhat sociopathically to manipulate people for their own gain.

Serf
May 5, 2011

matt's reaction to playing the shittiest line of CoC games is completely understandable

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Remember when Felix tried to play through Metal Gear Solid but gave up and never tried again?

I thought the Chapo Twitch would be more interesting, but it's what, 95% FYM and probably half of that is randos and Alex Nichols

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thermite posted:

I think he’s written some good pieces. The profile of Buttigieg got me to subscribe to current affairs. The fake British accent is really loving weird though.

It's not fake, he was born in England and grew up in the South. The resulting accent is bizarre.

And yeah Current Affairs is the only thing keeping me from pure nihilism. Also hasn't Amber written for them? She's the first person I ever heard mention it.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Matt is absolutely correct about video games but should extend that view toward wrestling fans too.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

TheBigAristotle posted:

Remember when Felix tried to play through Metal Gear Solid but gave up and never tried again?

I thought the Chapo Twitch would be more interesting, but it's what, 95% FYM and probably half of that is randos and Alex Nichols

Felix has spoken about how that's primarily to give those guys a paycheck.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Serf posted:

matt's reaction to playing the shittiest line of CoC games is completely understandable

Yeah, they need to play Vampire.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
DELTA :clap: GREEN: :clap: NEW :clap: DEAL :clap:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Eh, the original game is built on a pretty decent and simple generic system. The way skill progression and sanity works were pretty revolutionary, especially back in the day. It's not a wargame, so the combat systems don't have to be riveting. Unfortunately, it's pretty bad at accommodating the actual mystery/investigation part as well, which is kind of a big part of the game, but the spinoffs that try to address that really just put a band-aid on it, which most GM's managed to do on their own anyway. What it does have is some pretty ace writing and production values.

It's a pretty cool game for groups who are good at improv and who have a lot of buy-in and genre knowledge. The Chapos clearly do. Delta Green does not really work that much better as a game, even if it does provide an in-game rationale for a lot of the anti-social behavior most CoC characters/players engange in. It's mostly just an extra layer of genre-fluff for nerds to sink their teeth into; and that makes it pretty loving awesome.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's not fake, he was born in England and grew up in the South. The resulting accent is bizarre.

And yeah Current Affairs is the only thing keeping me from pure nihilism. Also hasn't Amber written for them? She's the first person I ever heard mention it.

she said on red scare this week that she asked him to not publish a guy who was harrassing her, and he said he was going to because he was “scared” of him

she said she has the screen shots

apparently from the same ep she’s still close with sam kriss tho, land of contrasts

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

whale vomit is still an a+ wordplay name for their podcast

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Any NY goons up for a SA team at the Chapo Trivia next Wed?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

she said on red scare this week that she asked him to not publish a guy who was harrassing her, and he said he was going to because he was “scared” of him

she said she has the screen shots

apparently from the same ep she’s still close with sam kriss tho, land of contrasts

It's probably worth remembering that people are usually not 100% good or bad. Heck, even Newt Gingrich likes furry zoo animals. :3:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Analytic Engine posted:

Any NY goons up for a SA team at the Chapo Trivia next Wed?
It looks sold out, unfortunately. It's probably best for me because 1) I'm decent at 30% of trivia and horrible at the other 70% [including history] and 2) it was going to be hard to get up for work on that Thursday after getting home so late.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's a bummer if true about robinson. he's probably the best political writer right now.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

that's a bummer if true about robinson. he's probably the best political writer right now.

She's not trying to cancel current affairs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Groovelord Neato posted:

She called him "the not-lecherous type of sexist" so at least it's not another Emmet Rensin situation

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nothus posted:

No one has nuance these days, everything must be all good or all bad.

Unions good! But police unions bad! Can I hold these two thoughts at the same time?

:thunk:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nothus posted:

it would still be bad if he published a guy who was harassing amber even after she pointed it out to him.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Do any of y'all know anything about Hugo Chavez? I just finished watching this and he sounds too good to be true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-lhLVUlTcw

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Robinson failed in his ethical responsibility as a colleague and an employer. This isn't cause to entirely demonize him or his body of work. Instead, we should break his cane and throw his hat onto the roof. Maybe push him in a mud puddle and make him walk home.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

it would still be bad if he published a guy who was harassing amber even after she pointed it out to him.

I agree, but that's not how the internet works. Now we're going to have a big ole struggle session about one of the more visible left journals.

Nothus fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 25, 2019

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Halloween Jack posted:

Robinson failed in his ethical responsibility as a colleague and an employer. This isn't cause to entirely demonize him or his body of work. Instead, we should break his cane and throw his hat onto the roof. Maybe push him in a mud puddle and make him walk home.

An interesting take on restorative justice.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I’m pretty sure this kind of thing happens to him at least once a week.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

I’m pretty sure this kind of thing happens to him at least once a week.

He lives in New Orleans. That's the "needle hiding in a stack of needles" for people with irritating affectations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
To be fair, if I lived in New Orleans I would own a linen suit. It's hot as balls in October.

On the other hand, I culturally appropriated a thobe for my Count Orlok costume, and that was comfortable. So I could just convert to Islam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to see them at Cornell tomorrow. If you see a tall guy, it's me.