Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

NiceGuy posted:

Dad's a simple man, and so he made a simple Arthur. This is almost immediately after the mountains though so he hasn't had a chance to grow out the mane yet. Still :3:

I worked at a GameStop for the holidays a few years back, and I was helping a customer look for something for her father for Christmas. She told me the one game he absolutely loves is the original RDR, but he never played the Undead Nightmare mode. So I was able to sell her on that. I saw her at my other job a few months later and asked if her dad liked the Undead Nightmare story and he did, and we were talking about RDR2. Yes she was getting it for him. Saw her again a few months back after it came out and sure as poo poo, Dad was nonstop playing it. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I just finished chapter 6 and what an awesome game. The story/writing/narrative is just fantastic.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Another Bill posted:

I just finished chapter 6 and what an awesome game. The story/writing/narrative is just fantastic.

Chapter 6 alone is brilliant, the writing comes together in a really nice way and the performances all round are really good. It might be my favourite part of any Rockstar game to date.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Chapter 6 alone is brilliant, the writing comes together in a really nice way and the performances all round are really good. It might be my favourite part of any Rockstar game to date.

For my second play through (I just finished up chapter six) I made sure to get all the side missions out of the way prior to starting chapter six. Once the story gets going, it is tough to go running off on side missions - they are too distracting.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Still tooling around weeks after beating this thing. It turns out I hadn't even finished the epilogue, I just hadn't noticed the little mission badge for the next bit, so there's still God knows how much more to go. I'm mostly using it to play Westworld and fight bears at this point. I'm horrible at fishing, so the legendary fish shall remain legendary.

This game has been out for a while now, are we still looking at the inclusion of Mexico (you can glitch there) as foreshadowing an add-on or expansion, or is it just an artifact of copy/pasting the map from RDR?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Playing fashion with Arthur is legit one of my favorite things about this game. I tried to do a different outfit for each chapter that summed up their aesthetic.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Yeah, all four of the ways Arthur can die are really impactful and make sense. I appreciate that the game essentially makes it clear through both plot and gameplay that Arthur has to be a bastard to survive, so even if you max out your honor it still makes sense why Arthur feels a need to redeem himself, and not just through offscreen poo poo you didn’t see.

Maybe this is me being a goony goon, but I think you could adapt both RDR games into a pretty great TV show. Yes I’ve seen Deadwood, not the same thing.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Inspector Hound posted:

This game has been out for a while now, are we still looking at the inclusion of Mexico (you can glitch there) as foreshadowing an add-on or expansion, or is it just an artifact of copy/pasting the map from RDR?

At the very most it'll likely only get added as a new area for multiplayer. Single-player content ain't coming.

How detailed is Mexico anyway? I remember reading it was just the geography with none of the towns or other details. It's either a copy/paste thing or just them wanting it to look accurate from a distance.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s almost definitely both of those, just a geography copy and paste to make sure you’re not staring at a void when you reach the border.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

At the very most it'll likely only get added as a new area for multiplayer. Single-player content ain't coming.

How detailed is Mexico anyway? I remember reading it was just the geography with none of the towns or other details. It's either a copy/paste thing or just them wanting it to look accurate from a distance.

There's buildings and poo poo, from the videos I've seen. Too bad, I wanted to hear John yell "remember mi nombre!" again. Oh, and I needed a sombrero and poncho. And super long barrel revolvers. And a big rear end mustache. And a mariachi band shootout on dia de los muertos. Ok I'm way more disappointed by this than I thought I was going to be.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

For my second play through (I just finished up chapter six) I made sure to get all the side missions out of the way prior to starting chapter six. Once the story gets going, it is tough to go running off on side missions - they are too distracting.
I actually really loved the shared experience Arthur and I were having. In a lot of open world games, you find yourself cleaning up unfinished business because you know the game is ending soon. But it actually made sense for the character this time because Arthur was trying to wrap things up.

I do feel like it is a bit jarring because the side-quests that unlock in Chapter 6 do such a good job really reflecting the change to the status quo. Finishing the gunslingers storyline where Arthur is treating it as a fun lark is a bit jarring compared to the veteran story.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
So I just went and visited Arthur’s grave and when I came up on it I saw a white eagle or hawk perched right above it. I tried to examine the bird in the binoculars and through a rifle scope, but it didn’t register as an animal. When I got closer it flew off, but when I aimed a rifle at it it wouldn’t track it or even acknowledge a target. I think the reticle went gray.

A ghost perhaps? Did this happen to anyone else?

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

Phil Moscowitz posted:

So I just went and visited Arthur’s grave and when I came up on it I saw a white eagle or hawk perched right above it. I tried to examine the bird in the binoculars and through a rifle scope, but it didn’t register as an animal. When I got closer it flew off, but when I aimed a rifle at it it wouldn’t track it or even acknowledge a target. I think the reticle went gray.

A ghost perhaps? Did this happen to anyone else?

Yeah, different animals will show up depending on Arthur's honor when he dies

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ICMB posted:

Yeah, different animals will show up depending on Arthur's honor when he dies

I figured. Going back to all the gravestones has been weirdly poignant. Particularly Hosea’s and Lenny’s. And Arthur’s of course. Great game.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Wait where are they I didn't know they existed

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

All over. I stumbled on one then looked them up...many of them aren’t easy to just come across. Generally they’re in the vicinity where the person bought it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

So at the end of the main story, are there multiple ways/locations for Arthur to die? I remember my story ending at the top of some mountain, Arthur was propped up against some rocks, alone, and had a vision of a deer. A character I met up with in the epilogue (Charles I think?) even talked about it later on. What are the other ways he can go?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

So at the end of the main story, are there multiple ways/locations for Arthur to die? I remember my story ending at the top of some mountain, Arthur was propped up against some rocks, alone, and had a vision of a deer. A character I met up with in the epilogue (Charles I think?) even talked about it later on. What are the other ways he can go?

I believe there are different endings based on your karma and what you decide to do during the final mission.

If you tell John and Abigail to go, and you go up the mountain rather than back to camp, then (1) if you have good karma, you get the ending you describe; (2) bad karma, then I think Micah shoots Arthur. If you decide to go get the money, then Micah stabs Arthur to death.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I believe there are different endings based on your karma and what you decide to do during the final mission.

If you tell John and Abigail to go, and you go up the mountain rather than back to camp, then (1) if you have good karma, you get the ending you describe; (2) bad karma, then I think Micah shoots Arthur. If you decide to go get the money, then Micah stabs Arthur to death.

Which is fairly silly cause at that point in the game Arthur had way more money on him than what Dutch had squirreled away :haw:

Pirate Jet posted:

Maybe this is me being a goony goon, but I think you could adapt both RDR games into a pretty great TV show. Yes I’ve seen Deadwood, not the same thing.

I wanna see Dutch try to con Swearengen now.

He'd be pig food inside 48 hours

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Speaking of, sometimes the game won't let me ID what kind of horse or animal I'm looking at even with binoculars fairly close in. Is there something I'm missing?

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Mr. Crow posted:

Wait where are they I didn't know they existed

There's an achievement/trophy to visit them all. ;)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

30% extra cash and gold in RDO today, not sure if that's XP too. I'm close to 50 where I could get the slippery bastard card, but after fooling around in single player lately the online world feels even emptier than before :(

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Supposedly, the roadside encounters and ambushes are in the near future on their roadmap for RDO. That’ll help with the empty feeling. I just wish they’d figure out robberies and gambling systems that don’t break their economy already.

Thanks for the tip, my posse is probably on right now running stuff. I highly recommend befriending decent strangers with mics and forming an open group of console friends to play RDO. It’s a really good time.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I've played this game for probably hundreds of hours and I've still never seen the KKK random encounter.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 1, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
They do seem pretty rare. I only had two throughout my entire playthrough. Both were in Rhodes, maybe around there?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I found one near Strawberry of all places, in the woods.

Had a ball with it. Opened with Molotovs (they ain’t white anymore :getin:), rushed at survivors with a knife, saved the best for last with a lasso. There’s no gas can in this game like GTA, so I dragged him behind my horse.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

skooma512 posted:

I found one near Strawberry of all places, in the woods.

Had a ball with it. Opened with Molotovs (they ain’t white anymore :getin:), rushed at survivors with a knife, saved the best for last with a lasso. There’s no gas can in this game like GTA, so I dragged him behind my horse.

The KKK leader is the perfect choice for that 'drag a person X feet' challenge. I also tried to kidnap one and proudly parade through town with him on the back of my horse but the bullshit St. Denis law enforcement came to his rescue:argh:

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

Pirate Jet posted:

Uncle spin-off prestige tv

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Wolfsheim posted:

The KKK leader is the perfect choice for that 'drag a person X feet' challenge. I also tried to kidnap one and proudly parade through town with him on the back of my horse but the bullshit St. Denis law enforcement came to his rescue:argh:

All Sheriffs Are Bastards

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
I'm (post-game) trying to get into Fort Wallace for the sweet stolen hat. Everyone says "just use a stagecoach and jump over the wall" but every big stagecoach I use I can't actually climb on top of. I just kinda shimmy around the sides. Is there something to coach-mounting I'm not getting or is there an easier wagon type to use?

Also I just played RDR1 again for nostalgia and it's loving weird. Everything is going at hyper speed compared to 2. My horse instantly launches across the map and in a gunfight I die before my old man hands can even pick a gun to equip.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

Cops and klan go hand in hand

Is there a way to really boost honor in the epilogue? I'm doing the bandit challenges and my honor is tanking as a result.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

Cops and klan go hand in hand

Is there a way to really boost honor in the epilogue? I'm doing the bandit challenges and my honor is tanking as a result.

I keep having to go on killing sprees to get mine back down just from saying howdy to people, it's probably confusing to the citizenry of Lemoyne when I greet someone and then immediately blow them away because I realized it made my honor tick up

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I had probably 5 KKK encounters. 2 involved KKK members getting killed by the burning cross they're putting up.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
I had a KKK encounter out by Emerald Ranch - the main dude and two white sheets were trying to put a cross up in the middle of an open field and I just rolled up on them. One dropped the cross on the other and they all tried to run. All the other ones (at least three) have been right by the town center in Rhodes in the woods.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I never found them but I encountered the Nite folk so many times. I got sick of it. I was never fast enough to gun them down before they got to me.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I finally found the eugenics guy in Saint Denis.

Was riding out of town to get my BTK on and I accidentally went in the stable and he was gone :qq:

Luckily I heard he respawns.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I had fun slapping that guy around. I didn't want to knock him out right away, so I antagonized him until he started running and then I would full on sprint into him and he would ragdoll, get progressively more injured/limping, and finally "fell" off the docks.

Hi I'm Arthur Morgan and this is Eugenics Bowling

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I never found them but I encountered the Nite folk so many times. I got sick of it. I was never fast enough to gun them down before they got to me.

Every encounter I've had with them has been unique and creepy. First was before I even knew they existed, walking through the swamp and saw a guy hanging from a tree. Stopped to look at it and all of a sudden get swarmed by insane freaks who stab me to death.

Second encounter, many hours later after completion of the game. See a woman crouched and whimpering, with the pulsing white dot on the minimap. I get close to her to check on her and she gets up and stabs me, then her buddy kills me with an axe.

Third encounter is a cajun dude whose shack was taken over by the NF. He leads me over there and I sneak up and kill all those motherfuckers with the double barreled shotgun. Cathartic revenge.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I've beaten RDR2 today and it was a fantastic ride, a great game. A few minor complaints like auto-switching weapon loadouts and missable side stuff like stagecoach robberies, but otherwise I enjoyed the plot and Arthur was great in a way that wasn't just a reskinned John Marston from RDR1.
As for post game stuff I do enjoy playing as John, I got the biggest grin on my face when I found that out in the epilogue, and even bigger when he suited up into his RDR1 clothes. A big big improvement over RDR1's epilogue, but however I do with they'd give you the option of switching between John and Arthur, just to enjoy their different personalities.

ThomasPaine posted:

On a different topic, do we think a RDR1 remake as DLC is a shoe in? It seems insane that they've gone to the trouble of building all of New Austin but just leave it almost totally empty (+ those voice files). I'm really really hoping they don't pull a GTA5 and just focus on online exclusively, even though I know they probably will because it makes them megabux.
It could just be online stuff but it seems like a lot of work when they already had a huge world before, and it's not like you can traverse it that fast when youre limited to horses. My bet would be they delay any PC release until the next gen consoles are out, like they did with GTA5; re-release RDR2 and hopefully a remake of RDR1 in the RDR2 engine, possibly stand-alone. But maybe they make it DLC into some mega game where you can play chronologically RDR2 through RDR1. Which would be really cool.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

ThomasPaine posted:

I've played this game for probably hundreds of hours and I've still never seen the KKK random encounter.

I saw it a few times during the main story but never after Chapter 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Is eugenics guy in St Denis programmed to not generate any wanted reaction? I blew his head off with a shotgun in direct view of the cops and nothing happened which was hilarious. The citizens didn't even scream and run away it was like they all collectively thought "I'm glad someone had the balls to do that".

Also I'm pretty sure the KKK guys putting up the cross encounter will end up with them dead regardless of your actions. I think it always falls over and the cross bar smacks in to them.