Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I've been binging on drumming videos and happened across Paris Monster, a two-piece where the drummer also sings and plays keyboards. I thought it was going to be gimmicky trash but it's...insanely good and I have no idea how I haven't heard of them before.

Basically every video I've seen of their live performances is great, but this one in particular is really clicking with me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMcIQy1z7eA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

whatis posted:

I've been binging on drumming videos and happened across Paris Monster, a two-piece where the drummer also sings and plays keyboards. I thought it was going to be gimmicky trash but it's...insanely good and I have no idea how I haven't heard of them before.

Basically every video I've seen of their live performances is great, but this one in particular is really clicking with me

Oh man this poo poo is great and how the gently caress does he sing, synth and drum at the same time? Like... how does a person do that? Goddamn.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
That is what sold me on Death From Above so many years ago, seeing them on OG Conan live. It was such a surreal moment because Sebastian hopped off the drums and went on guitar and I don’t know if it was unrehearsed and it took a minute for him to realize it, but Max Weinberg went “oh poo poo” and ran over and hopped on their drum kit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thehoodie posted:

Anyone been listening to Lizzo? Her album dropped today and it is very dope. This song in particular fills me with immense joy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaCrQL_8eMY
I've been hearing about her so I decided to check out the new album. Just started listening to it and :eyepop:

Kramdar posted:

That is what sold me on Death From Above so many years ago, seeing them on OG Conan live. It was such a surreal moment because Sebastian hopped off the drums and went on guitar and I don’t know if it was unrehearsed and it took a minute for him to realize it, but Max Weinberg went “oh poo poo” and ran over and hopped on their drum kit.
Yuuuuuuuuuuuuup, that was my first exposure to them as well and I was just floored by that performance. Been a fan ever since!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Thom and the Heads posted:

new mountain goats album is streaming on NPR before it's release next week

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/22/714408952/first-listen-the-mountain-goats-in-league-with-dragons

haven't listened yet - high hopes though!

I'm really digging it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i have probably posted this before but im gonna do it again. lizzzzoooooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQaRQe86suA

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I didn't realize how lucky I was that I saw Lizzo open for Sleater-Kinney and HAIM before I knew who she was.

This is why you should always see the openers, kids.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

I want to see Lizzo at the Riv next week but the $30 GA tickets are now over a hundred bucks each, should have hopped on it early instead of waiting

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
New Mannequin Pussy single, album is out june 21st. One of my most anticipated albums this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0Xjl5KusI

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

I didn't realize how lucky I was that I saw Lizzo open for Sleater-Kinney and HAIM before I knew who she was. This is why you should always see the openers, kids.

this is how i discovered Madison Cunningham, when she opened for Punch Brothers. a lot of times i end up not caring about the opener but it's really cool when you get surprised by someone :)

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

Troxartas posted:

New Mannequin Pussy single, album is out june 21st. One of my most anticipated albums this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0Xjl5KusI

I'm in this! They're one of my favorite bands and I'm really looking forward to the full album

It's wild to see how much their sound and performances have progressed since their first album

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Lizzo here was bought up by 3rd party bots in a matter of a few minutes. Its a bummer, but I'm not surprised as the venue that's hosting her has gone to hell. It used to be a haven for indie music, but has turned to corporate sponsors and has some lovely phone companies name tied to it now.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah I got an email for a Lizzo presale but GA is $250 and uh.... gently caress that? I passed on Metric earlier this year for similar reasons.

e: ahahaha it's at the renamed/rebuilt Sound Academy where I saw her open for Sleater Kinney 4 years ago.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Slandible posted:

Lizzo here was bought up by 3rd party bots in a matter of a few minutes. Its a bummer, but I'm not surprised as the venue that's hosting her has gone to hell. It used to be a haven for indie music, but has turned to corporate sponsors and has some lovely phone companies name tied to it now.

Lizzo isn't Indie music style wise or through her record deal. She's on Atlantic.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Sumo posted:

I want to see Lizzo at the Riv next week but the $30 GA tickets are now over a hundred bucks each, should have hopped on it early instead of waiting

That coachella bump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhbwH_DJ8W8

New hot poo poo from KAYTRANADA

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is how i discovered Madison Cunningham, when she opened for Punch Brothers. a lot of times i end up not caring about the opener but it's really cool when you get surprised by someone :)

I have tried making it a habit to listen to the opener before seeing them. I saw Iron Chic open for Propagandhi, and almost didn't go to see them, because I thought it was a female-fronted Iron Maiden cover band. I just don't have any interest in Iron Maiden.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yeah I got an email for a Lizzo presale but GA is $250 and uh.... gently caress that? I passed on Metric earlier this year for similar reasons.

e: ahahaha it's at the renamed/rebuilt Sound Academy where I saw her open for Sleater Kinney 4 years ago.

We went to the same show. :hfive:

I, too, missed the presale, and now all the resale tickets are ridiculous. Apparently she's also playing Danforth Music Hall, but I already missed tickets to that.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Twin Cinema posted:

I have tried making it a habit to listen to the opener before seeing them. I saw Iron Chic open for Propagandhi, and almost didn't go to see them, because I thought it was a female-fronted Iron Maiden cover band. I just don't have any interest in Iron Maiden.

Um they're called the Iron Maidens and they might rule. I have no idea: they're based in Cali.

I may not have scored tickets to Lizzo, but I am seeing Tokyo Police Club at the [venue] on Friday. Really, I'm going to see the opener but might stick around. Also I should remind myself where they're playing. It's like the Empty Door or something.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Is there still a goon in Tokyo Police Club?

E: Probably? Looks like the lineup has remained the same throughout.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

As an aside, she guests on the new Andrew Bird.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

T Bowl posted:

Lizzo isn't Indie music style wise or through her record deal. She's on Atlantic.

It was more intended at my unhappiness with the change in the venue from what it once was. It can maybe hold 800 maybe, and instead of moving it to a larger thousands capacity venue, its going to gouge people in prices.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
After what seems like forever, CHVRCHES is coming back to my city for a show!

And is playing in the absolute worst venue possible. :negative:

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

captainOrbital posted:

I may not have scored tickets to Lizzo, but I am seeing Tokyo Police Club at the [venue] on Friday. Really, I'm going to see the opener but might stick around. Also I should remind myself where they're playing. It's like the Empty Door or something.

The Empty Bottle rules.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Twin Cinema posted:

We went to the same show. :hfive:

I, too, missed the presale, and now all the resale tickets are ridiculous. Apparently she's also playing Danforth Music Hall, but I already missed tickets to that.

Nice :hfive:

Yeah Danforth would be a lot more manageable.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Captain Hotbutt posted:

After what seems like forever, CHVRCHES is coming back to my city for a show!

And is playing in the absolute worst venue possible. :negative:

Which venue, and why does it suck?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
new FKA Twigs song is incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkLjqFpBh84

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

angrygodofjebus posted:

The Empty Bottle rules.

I live in michigan and have never been there, but I always hear about so many good shows there. It sounds like a venue I'd like to get to at some point.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Slandible posted:

I live in michigan and have never been there, but I always hear about so many good shows there. It sounds like a venue I'd like to get to at some point.

It’s really just a regular rear end dive but it’s an institution which is why it gets amazing shows. The best venue in Chicago is Thalia Hall.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

T Bowl posted:

:goonsay:

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

DasNeonLicht posted:

Which venue, and why does it suck?

The Rebel in Toronto. Bad sound, poor layout, terrible staff.

The biggest issue is location. It's in an area called the Port Lands - basically a massive lakeside industrial area with some entertainment stuff positioned closer to "shore". There's only one road going in and out for transit and it's isolated as hell. So that means if you're taking the bus, you're waiting for that one bus that comes every 30 minutes with 1,500 people who got out of the show with you and need to get home.

It also means that if there are fights/stabbings/shootings/theft - pretty frequent in that area - the police etc. take forever to get there because they're fighting against traffic.

To bring it back to music, I think the last time I was there was to see Explosions in the Sky in, I wanna say 2012? It was fine and it's hard to mess up an EITS show. One of the worst concerts I went to was there: M.I.A., soon after Kala was released and Paper Planes was blowing up big time with moms who had seen Slumdog Millionaire and suburban scrubs like myself. She showed up 90 minutes late and it was just an indistinguishable wall of bass. It fuckin' sucked.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Captain Hotbutt posted:

The Rebel in Toronto. Bad sound, poor layout, terrible staff.

The biggest issue is location. It's in an area called the Port Lands - basically a massive lakeside industrial area with some entertainment stuff positioned closer to "shore". There's only one road going in and out for transit and it's isolated as hell. So that means if you're taking the bus, you're waiting for that one bus that comes every 30 minutes with 1,500 people who got out of the show with you and need to get home.

It also means that if there are fights/stabbings/shootings/theft - pretty frequent in that area - the police etc. take forever to get there because they're fighting against traffic.

To bring it back to music, I think the last time I was there was to see Explosions in the Sky in, I wanna say 2012? It was fine and it's hard to mess up an EITS show. One of the worst concerts I went to was there: M.I.A., soon after Kala was released and Paper Planes was blowing up big time with moms who had seen Slumdog Millionaire and suburban scrubs like myself. She showed up 90 minutes late and it was just an indistinguishable wall of bass. It fuckin' sucked.

Just to bring it back to the earlier discussion, this is the same venue Lizzo is playing now that she played at before with Sleater-Kinney, back when it was called Sound Academy.

You'd think that with the renovation they could improve the acoustics but I guess not for reasons??? Janelle Monae was there last summer and I also skipped it because that location stinks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:swoon:

God drat I've missed that angelic voice of hers. I hope this means she's coming out with a full release soon, album or EP.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

whatis posted:

Even if you dont like this video (I didn't) check out their album Lamplight. Its really good!

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

UnknownMercenary posted:

Just to bring it back to the earlier discussion, this is the same venue Lizzo is playing now that she played at before with Sleater-Kinney, back when it was called Sound Academy.

You'd think that with the renovation they could improve the acoustics but I guess not for reasons??? Janelle Monae was there last summer and I also skipped it because that location stinks.

Ah poo poo, totally missed those posts but yeah Rebel/Sound Academy sucks rear end. Any goons who come to Toronto for a show, stay away.

More CHVRCHES news, and it's a little wacky. They basically called out Marshmello for working with creeps and they teamed with him for arguably their biggest song. This is the first time I've heard of a band doing that while their big song together is still in radio rotation/on streaming charts.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Captain Hotbutt posted:

More CHVRCHES news, and it's a little wacky. They basically called out Marshmello for working with creeps and they teamed with him for arguably their biggest song. This is the first time I've heard of a band doing that while their big song together is still in radio rotation/on streaming charts.
Good on them for doing this. Was Marshmello like completely unaware of Lauren Mayberry's views? Because she doesn't exactly hide them lol

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Chris Brown is a colossal piece of poo poo and I never could understand how he stayed high up. Mayberry calls out people at their own shows, so ya should have been obvious it would go this way.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Good on them for doing this. Was Marshmello like completely unaware of Lauren Mayberry's views? Because she doesn't exactly hide them lol

Marshmello is more than likely just an rear end in a top hat who doesn't care about who he works with as long as it gets him attention/money. He probably doesn't care about Lauren coming out and saying this either, so long as it does not affect the money/attention coming to him.

in news about musicians who don't suck, Tacocat's new album is on NPR. It sounds exactly as you would expect, which is exactly what I wanted.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Aldous Harding's new album is out today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyZeJr5ppm8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPB6iPXhkdI

Lush folk from New Zealand.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
The new In The Valley Below album is quite good.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Youth Code is growing on me now after catching a bit of them at the HEALTH show. They fit well as an industrial noise rock opener.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEg8FiQy-Ag

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

DC Murderverse posted:

Marshmello is more than likely just an rear end in a top hat who doesn't care about who he works with as long as it gets him attention/money. He probably doesn't care about Lauren coming out and saying this either, so long as it does not affect the money/attention coming to him.

Looks like he didn't take it kindly. https://twitter.com/laurenevemay/status/1122216034344136704

e: Actually seems to be a random fan just throwing abuse at her. Looking at her timeline she's posting screencaps of other assholes doing the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Well Chris Brown certainly had a normal reaction.