Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Spiteski posted:

Rewatching this show makes me realise how... underwhelming? This show has turned. It used to be so strong, except for the East stuff with Dany. Now she's mainline, the whole show it poop.

I dunno, I think it's more like piss: smells awful afterwards, but feels good when it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

MoaM posted:

I dunno, I think it's more like piss: smells awful afterwards, but feels good when it comes out.

:hai:

Thread title

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Fair enough.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Yeah I guess we’ll see how it ends but it does feel like it’s fizzling out — and that writers are just checking off the boxes of what they need to happen. Why are these last two seasons so short anyway? With so much to wrap up it feels rushed. I imagine we’re just going to get one zombies vs humans battle episode but gently caress, the entire show has been building toward this for nine years and we’ve had entire episode battles before (very memorably Stannis vs. King’s Lansing)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Delthalaz posted:

Why are these last two seasons so short anyway?

They're expensive as gently caress.

Seems like a dumb excuse tho considering HBO was ready to throw more money at them for more seasons, but D&D wanted to end it.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Delthalaz posted:

Yeah I guess we’ll see how it ends but it does feel like it’s fizzling out — and that writers are just checking off the boxes of what they need to happen. Why are these last two seasons so short anyway? With so much to wrap up it feels rushed. I imagine we’re just going to get one zombies vs humans battle episode but gently caress, the entire show has been building toward this for nine years and we’ve had entire episode battles before (very memorably Stannis vs. King’s Lansing)

I just rewatched that Stannis battle episode last week, and boy, going from S2 straight back to S8 will give you whiplash.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The writers are clearly much more suited to adapting than to writing the content themselves and it definitely shook them when they realized that they would finish before the books ever did, and even then I think they were at least counting on Winds of Winter. Nothing has ever been as bad as what we got in Season 5 imo and that was when they started to hit that territory. They went from having the novels to disconnected plot points scribbled out on stained napkins and had to figure out how to tie up plotlines that the author himself can't figure out how to do. They made a decision to change the show into something else, losing some of the quality and replacing it with fanservice because they knew that would keep the things afloat as they patched things together to the finale.

Actually, that would be an interesting story to read. Exactly what were the producers expecting in terms of source material and at what point did they realize the books were never coming out?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Delthalaz posted:

Because the showrunners are completely checked out and want to move on. HBO was willing to let them do as many seasons as they wanted but even then HBO had to twist their arms for seasons 7 and 8

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 25, 2019

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

esperterra posted:

They're expensive as gently caress.

Seems like a dumb excuse tho considering HBO was ready to throw more money at them for more seasons, but D&D wanted to end it.

I think one more season would have done the show well with the climax they built to. Nothing feels very fleshed out anymore and yeah it all feels rushed. A normal ten-episode season to full in the gaps and really establish Danaerys in Westeros would have been good.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

GOT is going to be a goldmine for years and years and years.

As soon the last episode of GOT is aired, it will go for sale "GOT complete serie", and it will sell like cupcakes for a very long time.

Making this last episodes having a lasting memory is just investing smart, imho.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

God, the Lannisters really are the best family. I miss how good Tywin was.

So I was trying to remember who else is technically around but not at all shown, and all of the Riverlands comes to mind. Which I guess boils down to Edmure and the scraps of the Frey family. Also Sweet Robin? Will they get any sort of closure or are we supposed to forget about them?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All the missing characters will return in the final episode for one big dance party set to Smash Mouth.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

My Lady Stark, Robin died in his sleep, making you the next in line to inherit the Riverlands and the Vale!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not understanding why everyone at work/on Facebook/Twitter/the barbershop/whatever is freaking out about how most people will be hiding in the crypts, but there are dead bodies there and the White Walkers will resurrect them. While that may happen, my issue is would there be anyone down there that the audience would immediately recognize? Ned lost his head, so he's out. We have no evidence, and it's highly unlikely the Frey's/Bolton's would have returned their bodies anyway, that Catlyn and Robb are buried there (Robb also lost his head, so.....). Other Starks have been buried for a very, very long time, so it's likely they're all skeletons/dust at this point. We've never seen Brandon or Rickard Stark, and they've been dead for 20+ years at this point. Rickon is the only one, and the question would become, would Jon have just buried him, or burned him too?

My theory is that the wights will get into the crypt (it's supposed to be a labyrinthine tunnel system, right?), turn a bunch of the people there, and will all slowly walk out of the crypt a la Walking Dead and freak everyone the gently caress out. The little girl who wanted to fight, Varys, all would be pretty shocking to see turn into wights themselves and then attack the people fighting.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I've got that 20€ for 3 months of NowTV deal (thanks to whoever has suggested it by the way) and I've watched some of Season 1 and man: I remembered it being better but the difference is...Stark :v:

Funny/intelligent/scary people saying and doing stuff that is appropriate instead of just having everyone saying how much they're funny/intelligent/scary! A tense setup with people working and living side by side while being actively enemies to each other! Stuff happening at a fast pace while introducing all the cast! More dress colors than just black, with people having rough/dirty/weird medieval clothes and paraphernalia!

A few moments have so much weight right now, on a rewatch. The first time through I had already read the books, but I didn't know the full story yet. Seeing Jon gifting Needle to Arya and saying goodbye, knowing that they won't meet again for 7 (or 11, irl) years make that scene so much more powerful, same for their reunion. The lingering shot of Ned saying goodbye to Cat in King's Landing; the knowledge of the full extent of the consequences of Catleyn taking Tyrion prisoner by mere chance. So good.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Omne posted:

My theory is that the wights will get into the crypt (it's supposed to be a labyrinthine tunnel system, right?)

I think that's a far more likely outcome. Rickon is the only one in a "resurrectable state". We also don't know if the Night King can even resurrect piles of bones. So far its all been recently deceased corpses, and while he has skeletons in his army - they probably weren't skeletons when he turned them. Wights getting into the crypt also plays into the theory that the Night King is a Stark ancestor, and therefore has intimate knowledge about the castle, and would know where to send his troops.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZfn-DZWmt4

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

TyrantWD posted:

I think that's a far more likely outcome. Rickon is the only one in a "resurrectable state". We also don't know if the Night King can even resurrect piles of bones. So far its all been recently deceased corpses, and while he has skeletons in his army - they probably weren't skeletons when he turned them. Wights getting into the crypt also plays into the theory that the Night King is a Stark ancestor, and therefore has intimate knowledge about the castle, and would know where to send his troops.

Wights do not rot - in the series, at least. The first time we see them - 2 corpses brought into Castle Black - Sam notices there's something wrong with them cause they are been dead for a while but do not smell. To be fair, they also have black faces/hands, don't immediately spring back into life and don't even have blue eyes until Jon "fatally" wounds one of them, running him through with his sword - at that point it seems to be dead, only to get blue eyes and get back on his feet. So maybe consistency with what happens in the early seasons is no longer important :v:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The thought of Grey Robb rising up and terrorizing the folks in the crypt is kind of awesome, but I would assume the Starks would give him his original head back before burying him.

Does the show ever say what happened to Catelyn's body? I suppose this is their last chance to give us Stoneheart, even if she's only around long enough for Tyrion to get his revenge.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Joffrey says they threw her in the river, but we don't know if he knows that or is just being a dick to Sansa.

I doubt the Freys buried them with honours so throwing in the river sounds reasonable.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I wonder why after 3 greatly successful seasons of GoT GRRM didn't have the motivation to put more time in his books. I wonder how much input GRRM had in these last two seasons to keep it somewhat in line with what he was thinking. Either way, GoT has been a fun and interesting experiment.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

MoaM posted:

This is why I've never watched most of the episodes more than once

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

ijii posted:

I wonder why after 3 greatly successful seasons of GoT GRRM didn't have the motivation to put more time in his books. I wonder how much input GRRM had in these last two seasons to keep it somewhat in line with what he was thinking. Either way, GoT has been a fun and interesting experiment.

He's put a bunch of time into his books - he's just terrified of continuing the main series.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
If they had just made Tywin king season 1, this whole mess could have been avoided

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Thom12255 posted:

He's put a bunch of time into his books - he's just terrified of continuing the main series.

I think it's just because he doesn't have anything left to shock people with and that's one of his main motivations for writing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
He really seems to like his world building stuff more than continuing the main story.

Which I can't really blame him for. Every babby nerd dreams of being able to create a fantasy world with the depth and detail that Tolkien managed and GRRM is one of only a handful of people that have ever come close.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I <3 Preston Jacobs

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Joffrey says they threw her in the river, but we don't know if he knows that or is just being a dick to Sansa.

I doubt the Freys buried them with honours so throwing in the river sounds reasonable.

The Freys definitely make a point of chucking Catelyn in the river as a mockery of the traditional House Tully burial, though I don't think it happened on camera.

To clarify: "logistically" I highly doubt Robb's body made it back to Winterfell because even if the Freys got tired of desecrating it why would the Boltons want it. I just think Zombie Wolfhead Robb is something the producers would think was funny/cool enough to do (and I concur) so they'll have it happen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dazerbeams posted:

So I was trying to remember who else is technically around but not at all shown, and all of the Riverlands comes to mind. Which I guess boils down to Edmure and the scraps of the Frey family. Also Sweet Robin? Will they get any sort of closure or are we supposed to forget about them?

Their plotlines are more or less finished though. What more is there to say about Edmure? There really isn't any more threads that needs to be tied up except for the battle against the white walker and who will end up on the iron throne.

Tei posted:

As soon the last episode of GOT is aired, it will go for sale "GOT complete serie", and it will sell like cupcakes for a very long time.
Because people will quit their hbo subscriptions and start to invest in physical media instead?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Alhazred posted:

Their plotlines are more or less finished though. What more is there to say about Edmure? There really isn't any more threads that needs to be tied up except for the battle against the white walker and who will end up on the iron throne.

Because people will quit their hbo subscriptions and start to invest in physical media instead?

Before each episode is a 10 minute commercial block for HBO's other programming. They really don't want people to bail once the show is done. I don't think the 19th century lesbian landlord is going to have the same draw though.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

As Nero Danced posted:

Before each episode is a 10 minute commercial block for HBO's other programming. They really don't want people to bail once the show is done. I don't think the 19th century lesbian landlord is going to have the same draw though.

Chernobyl looks interesting, but yeah, I'll probably cancel the subscription once GoT is over.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dazerbeams posted:

God, the Lannisters really are the best family. I miss how good Tywin was.

I wouldn't expect much but I'd be happy if they just gave a response like "The Knights of the Vale tried to evacuate Robyn but he said he would fly to freedom instead" or "Edmure decided that the best place to wait out the zombie apocalypse was some drat windmill. Everyone else died but He survived as the Night King was about to shank him then just shook his head slowly, sighed and walked away." Like a sentence or two spoken by Varys or some rando messenger. Speaking of I still hope Varys and Tyrion do something cool before dying. Varys: Spymaster and Kingmaker was a fun character for years and he's been quiet for a bit. Granted his whole role should be quiet and from the shadows but I'd like at least one more cool moment before the end. I'm fairly certain Tyrion will get a moment or two if not more as ... he's become a fairly recognizable character and actor since the first season. Most of the people I hear talking about this show lately remember him even if they can't get half the other names right.

Also Tywin was awesome as the typical rear end in a top hat Dad. Hell, that first conversation Tywin had with Jaime (while cleaning the deer sloppily) was so much like one joyous talk with my own Father and I had, that I began to feel genuine sympathy and affection for Jaime Lannister, defenestrator of children with terrible haircuts. I could watch an entire miniseries of Tywin and Olenna Tyrell just being snippy with each other and verbally owning all fools while sitting at tables.

Zaphod42 posted:

I wish I knew nothing about The Dark Tower.

I used to think Stephen King was an amazing writer. Dark Tower clears that up fast.

Like Rowling, he's a master of a genre but really needs to stay in his lane.

The first few books are fairly good. Dark Tower: the Gunslinger is rough but just exudes atmosphere and mood. Drawing of the Three is also rough but has some good gems in there if you can get past the whole Odetta talk... which may not have aged well on top of being generally dicey. I still think think the Wastelands was an actual decent book and not just for King. It was not nearly as rough and still exuded the same atmosphere. Definitely goes downhill after that. Always made me sad as that world has potential and I liked all of Roland's Ka-tet insofar as character goes. I haven't re-read it in years yet still remember random bollocks from that series. Also like the fact that he tried something other than his usual fare. Sometimes a writer doing that can work out (see "Quest of Iranon" by HP Lovecraft which is almost a love letter to the works of the Lord Dunsany). I always attributed my overall disappointment with my not being a fan of King's work overall.

edit:

Supreme Allah posted:

See I thought his fantasy book, The Eyes of the Dragon, is one of his best if not his best. It's a medieval fantasy kingdom story with some horror at the end and it's brilliant.
:hfive: Fellow fan! I thought I was the only person that liked it.
edit 2: also I remember liking Wizard and Glass quite a bit.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 25, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Alhazred posted:

In 2019 people still buys physical media. I am not expert, but I believe many people want to "own" their movies, instead of renting. Some people that have childrens find it easier to put the "Frozen" dvd for a 28th time in the player, than dealing with subscriptions.

He!.. I removed my optical drive from my computer more than 20 years ago. I am full digital all the time, but physical disc still exist and (I think) are still popular.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dark Tower was also rushed by King after he almost died after being hit from a car. I’m sure it would be a much different back half otherwise

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tei posted:

Some people that have childrens find it easier to put the "Frozen" dvd for a 28th time in the player, than dealing with subscriptions.

I'm pretty sure the kids at the kindergarten would be completely mystified if I had shown them a dvd. But they know all the streaming platforms like netflix and youtube by heart.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My nieces and nephews mostly use Netflix or the pile of kids movies on a USB drive plugged into the tv tbh

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bobjr posted:

Dark Tower was also rushed by King after he almost died after being hit from a car. I’m sure it would be a much different back half otherwise

I love King, probably one of my all time favorite authors, but I get an incredible kick of the fact that he had a mortality scare, decided to rush out a half-assed mediocre end to the fantasy epic he'd been working on for ages so that his fans wouldn't be "disappointed" and then went on to live a long rear end time and continue churning out some of his most mediocre and unsatisfying work.

I still think On Writing is probably his best book, even if his writing advice is bad advice for a lot of writers.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Von_Doom posted:

edit:

:hfive: Fellow fan! I thought I was the only person that liked it.
edit 2: also I remember liking Wizard and Glass quite a bit.

Wizard and the Glass was my favorite book from the Dark Tower series.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Yeah, cut King some slack. Dude had a serious brush with death and tried to do right by his fans. That's more than can be said for GRRM. The last few books of the Dark Tower series might have been terrible but at least it was an ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
At least GRRM didn't write himself into the story. And it would have been better if Dark Tower didn't have a ending than what we got.